Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• Wanderer_11
    Wanderer_11 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2015

Hi, I'm new on this site, but I've been lurking for a year since the diagnosis of my mother (stage 3c). I just wanted to let you know that my grandmother will be 12 years out this summer from stage 3 breast cancer.

Keep up the good fight beautiful ladies. xx

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited May 2015

Wanderer,

Thanks for taking the time to post, it really means a lot to hear these positive stories, especially as I have my six month check coming up shortly and another biopsy on my recon. It's going to be a tough month.

• Lottanodes
    Lottanodes Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2015

November will mark 20 years of disease free survival for me. I'd throw a big party but I retired early because of my diagnosis and have run out of money. The good news is that chemotherapy did no permanent damage to my brain. I have retrained as a medical coder which is a pretty challenging job to learn and requires a lot of research and problem solving skills. I have mild lymphedema (treated here in the physical therapy clinic where I work) and regrettably my left breast has not grown back, otherwise life is pretty good.

• Tinkerbells
    Tinkerbells Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2015

lottanodes- yours is one of the best posts I have read in a while! I celebrate you and your 20 years NED! You keep rocking, girlie!!!!!

• JustKeepSwimming44
    JustKeepSwimming44 Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2015

Lotta nodes thank you for coming back to post....wonderful! !!! 20 years disease free! It means so much to hear stories of hope and survival especially at stage 3. Thank you again!

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited May 2015

Lotta nodes, so happy to see your post! Thank you so much for coming back to support and encourage us. Awesome and congrats on being 20 years disease free! It means so much to hear stories of hope and survival especially at stage 3 and with "lotta nodes". Big smile. Thank you again and again!

• Madison4568
    Madison4568 Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2015

Thank you Lottanodes you give me hope!

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited May 2015

way to go lottanodes! Hi ladyB, glad to see you here. Keep on keeping on, right?

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited May 2015

Lottanodes as a 9 year survivor, I love hearing about gals like you Who are long, long time survivors. Here's to NED and to growing old.: )

• dltnhm
    dltnhm Member Posts: 420
    edited May 2015

Congratulations lottanodes! Thank you for coming here to let us know. Sorry about the loss of job but great kudos for retraining to become a medical coder! That is an encouragement to me!

You are one beautiful lady and appear to have quite a bit of spunk!!

Diana

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited May 2015

Lottanodes, we are so so happy that life is good for you. Twenty years is an amazing milestone!

And well done on retraining to be a medical coder :-) you are an inspiration!!!

Onwards and upwards Winking

• shelly56
    shelly56 Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2015

Lottanodes, you have MADE MY YEAR, and it's only May !!! Do you have a recipe for keeping the BC beast at bay -- if so, do you do any special diet, exercise, yoga, etc.??? We would love to be the success story just like you!! Were you Her 2 pos or Her 2 neg.? What age were you at DX 20 years ago? You ROCK !

Shelly

• Running42day
    Running42day Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2015

Ladies I absolutely LOVE reading your stories!  So encouraging.  I was diagnosed in September 2014 one month after my 39th Birthday.  I didnt think that there was any hope and spent alot of time in a dark place.  I am now drawing near the end of treatment and feel much more hopeful than I did last September after finding this Discussion Board! Praise God :)

• Lottanodes
    Lottanodes Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2015

Shelly56,

When I was diagnosed Her2 testing was done only on patients with metastatic disease, so I don't know my status. I was a premenopausal 45 when I was diagnosed. Health wise, I did everything right prior to BC. Since BC I do whatever feels good at the moment, sometimes that's healthy food and exercise but a lot of the time it's cheesecake, red wine, and Netflix.

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2015

Thank you so much for the encouragement Lottanodes! You made my day!

• kmadigan
    kmadigan Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2015

I haven't checked this thread for almost 2 years, and probably won't until next year, but I made a promise to myself that each year I was doing well I would check-in because when I was first diagnosed, I checked desperately for people doing well. I'm not 5 years out yet, but here is my story.

My history in short -

-Age 33 (9/2012) with a 5 month old daughter - diagnosed Stage 3a with 8 cancerous lymph nodes, ER/PR+, HER2+

-Double mastectomy with expanders

-16 rounds of chemo - Adriamycin, Cytoxin, Taxol with a year of Herceptin

-28 days of radiation

-Tamoxifin for 2 years and then just had ovaries out to reduce risk of recurrence (switched to Arimidex)

-A year of infections last year in my chest as a result of reconstruction issues and trying to rebuild radiated side one more time this summer.

BUT

I'm working, I'm cancer free, and I'm genuinely happy. I walk around with one breast proudly (due to the issue with reconstruction). I'm healthy, work out regularly, and play with my beautiful daughter who knows what my port is and still thinks mommy is pretty despite being different. I know when I was in the midst of everything I was scared and not sure what would happen next. I'm still not sure, and I know I'm considered high risk, but I'm checking in to say if you are sad, and worried, and thinking you just can't do this - you can and you will. I'm not saying it is easy - my energy is lower, my body and memory are not the same, and my sex life with my husband is a challenge. Those can be overwhelming at times. But feel the emotions, and know it is possible to smile again. I think of my cancer every day, but I'm not controlled by it. I can laugh and truely mean it again despite there being a time I couldn't do much besides cry.

So in short, I'm writing to say keep hoping.....one day at a time.

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2015

Lottanodes, you are fabulous, and I love your outlook on life! Many, MANY thanks for checking in here!

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2015

P.S. Lottanodes, I just noticed you're here in Sacramento! I want to drink the precious water you're drinking! Thanks again!

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2015

kmadigan, I am also a young triple+ so I really appreciate your post. Thanks for checking in!

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2015

Always love to read everyone's post here, but especially love your posts, Lottanode's! Disappointing to hear your breast hasn't grown back but your post is so uplifting (no pun intended) in every other way Smile

• Deblc
    edited May 2015

Always love to read everyone's post here, but especially love your posts, Lottanode's! Disappointing to hear your breast hasn't grown back but your post is so uplifting (no pun intended) in every other way Smile

• Deblc
    edited May 2015

kmadigan thanks for the encouraging words. In the beginning it'sso hard to see that we can get beyond this

• spanien
    spanien Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2015

Hi "Lottanodes" , I just read your post and wanted to tell you that for the first time since a long time (almost 12 year) I felt like a "shot"of hope !!and it felt so good".

Please keep sharing with us your sense of humor it really helps. By the way my breast(left also)has not grown back either so don't feel lonely. And to finish November is a good month for me will be my 12years NED

• lauren32
    lauren32 Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2015

Great to read all these stories! Kmadigan Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I am 32 and could relate to lots of it. It's wonderful to hear that despite the challenges you are happy and living life to the full after going through a trauma like bc that we would never expect at our age. Needed that message about keep hoping today :-)

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited May 2015

Oh what a party here celebrating 20 years with Lottanodes and kmadigan's 3 years!! Love both your comments and the encouragement it brings!! Both of you keep the party going and the rest of us will join you!!

• msjb28
    msjb28 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2015

Hey-  Just wanted to say that the statistics are not what you should worry about.  I was diagnosed in October of 1995.  This October I will be a stage 3 breast cancer survivor of 20 years!  Do what your good doctors tell you and stay positive. 

Blessings,

Judy

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited May 2015

Lottanodes and msjb28 (Judy), Thanks for coming back and posting! It means so much to all of us!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited May 2015

Judy....wow 20 years!!! I'm at 9 and so look forward to 20 years!!! You are an inspiration!

• msjb28
    msjb28 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2015

Glad to hear your good news too!  Believe me when I say, it is so wonderful that you are also an inspiration to the newly diagnosed. Thanks for sharing!  Blessings, Judy

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2015

just couldn't bring myself to post before the 'official' date ... so posting now ... doing well and enjoying the post bc time ... see onc soon to see if he wants me off AI's ...

hang in everyone !