Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• ausykaren
    ausykaren Member Posts: 64
    edited October 2017

Lucca06 thanks so much for your advice. Yes I am already worried that I might be at my worst once active treatment is finished. Probably because everyone is telling me I will feel so much better.

Congratulations on being over six years out. Are you on hormonal tablets

• lucca06
    lucca06 Member Posts: 17
    edited October 2017

I think I was in survival mode through treatment so the reality of what had happened really hit me after. My consultant told me that to think life is suddenly wonderful again as soon as treatment stops and you just return to 'normal' is not good for you. You have to build yourself back up slowly. In a way I think it is a type of grief you have to process.

Yes I was on tamoxifen to start with then I had my ovaries out and was switched to an Al after a year.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited October 2017

Ausykaren, you still on the top side of this big speed bump, and it's scary up there. I was sad, scared, grieving, sleepless, weeping, depressed...the mental torment of "cancer radio" playing in my head, 24/7, was terrible. Everyone here knows what you're enduring right now.

I found going to work, concentrating on other subjects besides treatment and worry, and exercise in fresh air was my best approach to anxiety relief. I took ambien to sleep and the occasional ativan when I wanted to crawl under my bed and hide.

I'm sorry you're here, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and happy days ahead. Gentle hugs.

• ausykaren
    edited October 2017

Thank you sbelizabeth. You are right about the cancer radio. I find it very hard to deal with.

Best wishes to you

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited October 2017

Ausykaren, my sister's name is Karen. She was diagnosed Stage III inflammatory bc in July 2012. Nasty stuff.

We are both alive, well, and happy. Hold on to hope.

• ausykaren
    edited October 2017

Thank you Sbelizabeth

Have just seen a photo of your grandbabies. What gorgeous babies

• PennyCookson
    PennyCookson Member Posts: 356
    edited November 2017

Hi Ladies
    Over 6 years now and having a wonderful life - Never look at statistics, you are an individual not a percentage and, while it takes a while to come to terms with this, it gets better over time and my 2011 Chemo Lounge sisters are all doing amazing things with their lives.

Penny

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited November 2017

Excellent, Penny! Thanks for sharing. Peace to you sister:)

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2017

agreed penny. Sounds like a good thing to me. Thanks for sharing

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited November 2017

Penny - Wonderful! Thank you for posting!

• lafish
    lafish Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2017

Woo hoo!!! Five years out today! I am so thankful to be posting this today, five years ago I certainly had my doubts along the way. Now 5 Years after diagnosis I have 2 lovely little grand daughters and this past May I walked one of my beautiful daughters down the aisle. So thankful. Life is good 😀

LAF always

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    edited November 2017

Lafish- thanks so much for posting! Congratulations on five years!!!!

• lafish
    lafish Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2017

You are very welcome LeesaD and thank you!

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited November 2017

that is right life is beautiful.

Thank you Lafish..

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2017

Lafish

Im so happy for you, I understand the doubts I struggle daily but faith keeps me going. Im close to a year and pray for many more .

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2017

Lafish

Im so happy for you, I understand the doubts I struggle daily but faith keeps me going. Im close to a year and pray for many more .

• Scaredbunny
    Scaredbunny Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2017

Hi Auzykaren. I am 41 year old mum to two small children. My tumor was 5.6cm grade 3 with 7/37 nodes affected. My oncologist have told me that they are concerned about me due to the amount of disease that was there after the pathology report. Please know you are not alone. I too am terrified. I'm on anti anxiety medication which really helps aswell as a good night's sleep. Hugs to you.

• ausykaren
    edited December 2017

Hi Scaredbunny, it is a very scary disease but my oncologist is very positive. Today I asked her if the cancer is more likely NOT to return and she said definitely. I am also on a worldwide trial of the drug Abemaciclib. Maybe you could ask your oncologist about it. All the best to you.

• ausykaren
    edited January 2018

There must be more five year survivors. Please post. Desperately in need of hope

• beauz
    beauz Member Posts: 113
    edited January 2018

Hi Ausykaren, can you tell me more about the trial you are in, eg, what are the entry requirements, what's the goal. Thanks

• ausykaren
    edited January 2018

Hi beaux,

The trial is called MonarchE phase 3. You might be able to find it online. I think you had to be advanced stage3 er/or positive her neu negative who take endocrine treatment like anastrozole. Because some women recur whilst on hormone therapy, the idea of the trial is to see whether it stops progression

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,055
    edited January 2018

Ausykaren, there are 41 pages here with posts from five-year, Stage III survivors.

• ausykaren
    edited January 2018

Traveltext, I have looked through everyone of those pages and noticed quite a number have recurred

• traveltext
    edited January 2018

Ausykaren, You mention being on a trial, that's good, but what other treatment gave you had to date?

• MamaFelice
    MamaFelice Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2018

Ausykaren-- I have a couple of questions for you that are getting off topic from this thread so I hope it is okay that I PM you ☺️Thanks!

• ausykaren
    edited January 2018

Traveltext, I have had surgery, chemotherapy (AC and paclitaxol), radiation and I currently take anastrozole as well as thetrial drugs and had my ovaries removed because I am BRCA2.

• traveltext
    edited January 2018

Great Ausykaren, you've had copybook treatment, so your prognosis is bright.

• Wonderwoman386
    Wonderwoman386 Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2018

Cpacino!!! Thank you for posting! I found my lump when my baby was 6 weeks new! Diagnosed the day I took her 3 month pictures! You bring my such hope, I love this thread and it’s beautiful success stories. Like I’ve said before, you all shine light in the darkest of places.

Today I rang the chemo bell, next I’m on to rads. I can’t wait to post my success on this thread! :

• ausykaren
    edited January 2018

Thanks Traveltext. I really hope you are right. Had a prolia injection today to keep bones strong and helps to prevent recurrence in the bones. My oncologist was very positive with me today

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited January 2018

Hi Ausykaren...I go for my 4th Zometa infusion next week (every 6 months) after local recurrence 10/14 axillary nodes. 2 yrs, 3 scans clear so far so good. Not exercising enough this winter, flu and stress at work has had me so achy! That and arimidex if u don't keep limber it wears you out. Been feeling better since the holiday and just joined our local rec club, did 2 miles on treadmill last night.

Now I have to worry about switching to generic medication for my ulcerative colitis. If it's not one thing it's something else! The one I have been on it's been like my SilverBullet. Colitis has been in remission for the last four years now this generic seems to be causing constipation. Having a fiber bar and off to work. Yay. 🙌