Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• anna-33
    anna-33 Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2017

I have gone through one lumpectomy and later mastectomy. Then 4xEC and 12xTaxol. 15rads.

• Icandoallthings
    Icandoallthings Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2017

Anna, I totally get how youre feeling. I have a 17 month old, and this is my second time going through it.

I say hit it with all you can, and stay positive. I have been doing some research on CBD/THC oil, and have learned a lot from that... look it up! There are other things to try along with Tamoxifen.

Praying for you!

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,055
    edited September 2017

Anna, you've had good treatment, and there are plenty of people surviving here with Stage III bc. Talk with your oncologist about hormone treatment options.

Try to stay strong and come back here as often as you wish.

• PoseyGirl
    PoseyGirl Member Posts: 298
    edited September 2017

Anna, can you get your ovaries out and switch to the AI?

I am weakly PR positive and chose to get rid of my ovaries so I could do the AI. But I was 47, so that was a fairly easy decision for me.

I had not seen that study about ER+ and PR- and Tamoxifen...

• maryannecb
    maryannecb Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2017

Just popping in! 12 years NED today. Living life to the fullest and still NED! Fists up Ladies! See you next year.

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    edited September 2017
    Congrats Maryannecb!!! That's awesome to hear and thank you so much for coming back sharing here! It helps me tremendously to hear these stories!
  • PoseyGirl
    PoseyGirl Member Posts: 298
    edited September 2017

That's amazing, Maryannecb!

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2017

Fabulous to see your post, Maryanne! Thank you. Especially meaningful for me to see that you're BC was Her2+ -ER -PR.

Hugs and best wishes to you

• el_tigre
    el_tigre Member Posts: 453
    edited September 2017

Congrats Maryanncb!!

Anna - I was on Tamoxifen during chemo and after for 1 yr as well as lupron shots during chemo to protect my ovaries and shut the estrogen down. I am still on lurpon and have switched to Letrozole (AI's) for that extra % of protection. We debated getting my ovaries out at age 39, but decided not to when we spoke to all of our doctors.

• anna-33
    edited September 2017

Thank you for answearing El Tigre..

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited September 2017

Congrats maryanne. So fabulous! Go, go,go.....

• jennyboog
    jennyboog Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2017

Seven years ago if you would have told me, one day you'll forget all about your BC, I would have probably cussed you out!! But it happened...I forgot my "cancerversary"! I hope all you newbies take this and know it will eventually get better and you will eventually move on. BC will not always rule your life or define you. I am blessed to say I've been able to see and do so much. My daughters are now 11 and 9, I've seen one go to middle school :( I've seen 3 nephews be born, birthdays, dance recitals, soccer/softball games. Life can be difficult after BC but it can also be beautiful. Don't let this storm go to waste. God is good.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited October 2017

Thank you jennyboog!

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    edited October 2017
    Jennyboog- Thank You so much for coming back and sharing!!! Congratulations to you and all the best!
  • HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited October 2017

Jenn and Mary ann

Thank you so much for posting , Im not a yr out and Im still think about it everyday, today being a rough day so seeing post likes yours helps so much. I need all the hope an faith I can get .

• honeybair
    honeybair Member Posts: 234
    edited October 2017

In December, I will have reached my fifth year since diagnosis. I will have my next mammogram in November and hoping to still have no negative news. I have never concerned myself about recurrence. My treatments in 2014 were 12 years after my original diagnosis of DCIS, and my treatments then were lumpectomy and radiation. My cancer returned in the same breast, but with all the aggressive treatments i received, I am still here and i am so grateful because I have been given the gift of one little grandchild 4 years ago and remain hopeful that I will be around to see her grow up. All any of us can do is to enjoy each day as it comes.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited October 2017

SIX YEARS since diagnosis today - Her 2 Pos - huge tumor, 9 positive nodes one node shy of Stage 3C, Herceptin only for 3 months because of heart issues...

I'M STILL HERE and doing well!! Sending encouragement to all of you!!!

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited October 2017

So happy to hear your news...Celebrating with you...and hope to follow! Three years for me the end of this month.

You were so encouraging for me early on. And how is your sister?

Stephanie

• anna-33
    edited October 2017

Does everyone get to know how many lymph nodes that are positive? Regardless if they get chemo before or after surgery? How do they know for those who had chemo before surgery?

• traveltext
    edited October 2017

I had chemo before surgery, but they knew from scans and biopsies that I had at least one affected node. After mastectomy and full axiliary clearance the pathology showed 2/23 nodes were positive

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited October 2017

AliceS - thanks for your nice words! My sister is now 2 years out. She had a mastectomy after lumpectomy

a year ago with DIEP. She is just now starting to feel better after 2 years of treatment.

Thanks for asking!

Sending all my best wishes to you!!

• 7of9
    edited October 2017

Thank you thank for the inspiring stories and sharing your milestones. You can't understand how they help me/us get some rest, take a breath and step forward.. A year and a half with a check up looming next week. These stories give me courage.

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    edited October 2017

Ana-in-Norway, I was diagnosed in 2012 with stage 3C with 16 positive lymph nodes. At the time I felt just like you: scared and alone... I took tamoxifen for almost 5 years and just recently switched to Letrozole (aromatise inhibitor). Tamoxifen is a great estrogen blocker and works for majority of patients. But if you are worried that you maybe in the small percentage of people who cannot metabolize tamoxifen properly, insist on testing CYP2D6 and level of endoxifen (active form of already metabolized tamoxifen) in your blood. This test will tell you and your doctor if you can fully benefit from tamoxifen, or if another drug would be a better choice.

And most of all - don't give up, you will fight this

• ausykaren
    ausykaren Member Posts: 64
    edited October 2017

Hi, I was diagnosed in February with IDC 4cm lump and 11 positive lymph nodes, some with extra capsular extension. Just wanted to ask long term survivors how they dealt with the mental side of this. I am still in treatment and haven't met anyone with a similar diagnosis and am really struggling mentally. Anyone pleas

• traveltext
    edited October 2017

Welcome Ausykaren, where are you up to with your treatment?

• ausykaren
    edited October 2017

Hi Traveltext, I have done ACT chemo and am half through six weeks of radiation. Haven't worked out how to add my stats to the bottom of my posts yet

• 7of9
    edited October 2017

Hi Auskkaren...I had 10 nodes , extra capsular. NED after another round of surgery, rads and hysterectomy. Tamoxifin didn' work first time around on me. Ambien, Attivan, Exercise and trigger control. I got my concealed carry and I go horseback riding whenever I can. 90 percent of this disease has been mental to me. Shutting down the brain at night has been key. Hang in there. Sketching, over volunteering for kids plans, then cancelling family dates and winter evenings by the fire wit a good book or show playing stupid Mindcraft with our kid...its what you hang on to. God bless

• ausykaren
    edited October 2017

Thanks 7of9. Am holidaying in the US at Christmas and desperately want to be feeling better. My kids are so excited and I want to be happy for them.

• traveltext
    edited October 2017

Auskkaren, To add stats, go to My Profile at the top of the page, and there you'll find My Diagnosis, My Treatment, and Personal Info.

• lucca06
    lucca06 Member Posts: 17
    edited October 2017

Ausykaren its very early days for you still. Once active treatment stopped, I hit my all time low. Counselling including CBT which is brilliant, was the key to helping me get back to a better place. I'm 6 1/2 years down the line now, something I felt impossible at times, but life is great and I am healthy, happy and not consumed by the fear of it coming back like I was in the early days. I had a bigger lump than you and 9/18 nodes positive after chemo and surgery. A nurse said to me on the day I was diagnosed 'be kind to yourself' and it took me a long time to truly realise what she meant. Time is a big factor in all this.