Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lumpectomy Lounge....let's talk!

Options

Comments

• Denise51
    Denise51 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Thanks for the good thoughts Cindy and Lisa!

The news was good. Found out Monday that uterine biopsy was negative! Starting chemo tomorrow and ready to go.

Best,

Denise 51 

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    Options

Yes.  I met with the BS.  Then met with the RO before surgery to talk about what radiation would entail and how it might impact any recontruction I needed (I had a somewhat larger tumor and a couple of smaller ones and we weren't sure if I'd be unacceptably lopsided after the surgery) as it happened my BS did an excellent job.  Righty went from being slightly larger than lefty, but they match fairly well.  (Something to ask your surgeon about) 

After the path report came back I met with the MO.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    Options

Elkatho - Welcome to the lumpies! Sorry that you must join us, but you will find encouragement and a safe place to share.

I had a big wait period between dx & surgery which I used to form my BC team. I did visit MO offices & attended a BC support group so I had a good idea who I felt would be best MO for me. Your BS may offer suggestions, but do visit offices and see ...

Without the pathology report & all other tests in hand, your MO will not be able to help you determine the best plan of treatment. Waiting is hard but use it to your advantage:)

Information is power and time affords you the opportunity to select your team for battle.

Follow your gut...you will know who you want to be on your team!

You will be fine warrior!

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    Options

Lumpies...

So glad to see that you are all talking and keep coming back for more!  Welcome to all of our newbies!  Please keep coming back  to let us know how you are doing and so that we can continually cheer you on!  

Crazy busy for me right now...doing my best to check in when I can...please carry on and I'll be back just as soon as I can!

Love and prayers for us all,

Tori

• Georgetta
    Georgetta Member Posts: 25
    Options

Good morning.  I will be having a lumpectomy on Apr 22.  That being said, I met with the Oncologist first.  He orchestrated all of my tests, the appt with the BS and I started chemo in that facility.  I have a round of Taxol today and then only one more.  I really liked having the Oncologist orchestrating all of it.  Good luck to everyone.  The decisions we have to make are hard and lasting.  Sometimes its difficult to know what to do. 

Wishing everyone a week of easy SEs.

Georgetta

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    Options

Good Morning my Lumpies! (lol..too funny!!)

Today I will be having gold seeds implanted in the lumpectomy cavity for my radiation tx protocol. I am in a clinical trial for Partial Breast Irradiation and my CT Scan/Simulation is Monday April 1st (April Fool's day anyone?) and I am nervous but happy to be getting some tx started. I will be doing dose dense, 2x a day for 5 days rads. I am thrilled that I was able to get in the trial and met the criteria. I am nervous about burning etc. But, I am happy I will not have to have 6.5 weeks (33 txs) of rads! One week and done!

Wish me luck. I am betting the needle to seed me with the gold is HUGE! I am hoping to go straight to work after they are done! Ugh..wish I was not so diligent and just took today off but I can't leave for a long weekend without making sure my work is done!

Have a great day my "lumpie" friends!

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557
    Options

Back to the question about order of things, I met with the BS first and she set up an initial meeting with the RO, since protocol now is always -- I think -- lumpectomy plus radiation. After surgery and Oncotype scoring, the BS and I together chose chemo. That's when I met with the MO. I didn't see the RO until about 5 months after surgery.

I was lucky to be treated at a medical center with a Breast Cancer team, so, whether I had met them or not, I knew after the first appt with BS who my MO, RO, nutritionist, genetic counselor and psychiatrist were. They meet weekly to discuss all cases. The program also had a nurse navigator, who was wonderful in answering my questions and guiding me through every step. I could call her anytime.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    Options

My order of protocol went like this:

Diagnostic imaging (mammo, MRI) and biopsy happened at my hospital's breast center. The head radiologist said regardless of the core needle biopsy results, she also wanted a lumpectomy done. The breast center has a care coordinator/counselor who set up all my appointments (all at this same hospital).

Met with the breast surgeon just as biopsy results were available. She broke the news that cancer was found. But I was mentally prepared for surgery so wasn't too shocked. Surgery was scheduled and in the meantime the care coordinator made my appointments to meet with the RO and MO.

My first surgery was right before Xmas, so scheduling was a little tricky. I did have all my oncology appt's scheduled by the time I went in for surgery, but they were set for dates about three weeks past my first surgery.

In the meantime I needed to be scheduled for a re-excision to get bigger margins. So when I meet with the two oncologists in early January, it was known I was going back for more surgery. Since it was a LX there was never a doubt about rads. When I met with the MO, she told me the oncotype results would inform the chemo decision. (It was 16, so no chemo.) But she told me I'd be under her care for hormone therapy.

I just finished 30 rads tx's this past Monday, and next week I meet with the MO to start tamoxifen.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I think the protocol differs by facility (a work colleague of mine met with all three onc's at once right after dx). One thing I did want to note is that I haven't made a single appointment myself; the breast center's care coordinator has done all of that for me (and I think she takes care of any insurance referral issues, too, since I haven't had to myself). Granted, I stayed under one roof for all aspects of care, so it might be less simple for patients who get second opinions or choose to have treatments at different facilities (eg, surgery at one hospital, rads at another).

Hope this epic post helps clarify!

;-)

• april485
    Options

I met with the BS first. Then I had an appt with the MO and then the RO. I had two surgeries as well and so have not started any of the tx's yet. I get my simulation on Monday for rads (having a dose dense protocol of 5 days, 2 x a day) and just want to get this show on the road!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options

I do believe Breast cancer Centers do things a little differently then the other hospitals........they seem to have more available......Bigger is not always best, but in my case it was........My BS was everyone's dream who is stricken with BC......The sweetest most compassionate man and Dr. I have ever been to, and I have seen a few......I'm not a spring chicken, but he made me feel so confident, and reassured that this was going to be "OK" in his words.........

The only thing that was (shitty) was the Lymphedema, and the Femara......my Lymph is mild, but have it just the same.........the Femara has thinned my hair, and caused some aches and pains, but at my age, some of it comes with the territory .....

Good luck to all the girls having surgery .......truely , it is not bad, I would have that done anytime rather then take Femara.

By the way my oncotype score was 8........no chemo......hugs lumpies........

• elkatho
    elkatho Member Posts: 68
    Options

Thank you Thank you. My BS works out of a hospital that has office for RO and MO and they also have an out of facility where chemo and rads are provided. I also have a Brest coordinator I met and call with any questions. BS referred me to PS when I was deciding on my surgery who discussed the effects of rad on reconstruction. I know the BS And PS discuss. I feel like I will have a team ...just have not met them all. BS wants me to have physical with family Dr before surgery. Go in today so I will also discuss with him and ask for referrals in case I am not comfortable with who BS refers me to. Have a good day....it is finally sunny in Milwaukee..makes me smile.

• Denise51
    Denise51 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hey April,

Good for you getting in the clinical trial! Hope you didn't have problem with the needle. 

Did you get tattoos implanted before your lumpectomy? Was the procedure the same?

I am so glad you can reduce the time of your treatment. I I started chemo today. Not horrible but not great.

Trying to go to sleep. 

Best of luck,

Denise

• rmlulu
    Options

Hi Denise

Sending healing thoughts for easy journey in chemo land. How many rounds will you do? Let us know ...I'll be your chemo pocket buddy (((hugs)))

Good Night

Cindy

• april485
    Options

Hi Denise, no tattoos or implants with my surgery. I am having the same type of rads (external) as the longer protocol. They only implant during surgery for internal rads. I will have my CT scan and simulation this coming Monday and they will do the tattoos that day. I will likely start (and end!!) my rads either the week of April 15th or 22nd. I am so happy I qualified for the clinical trial for the accelerated partial breast rads 2x a day for one week. They had a lot of criteria - under 2 cm's in size, stage 0 or 1, over 50 years old, node negative and lumpectomy only. So, I met all of the criteria and signed up! Best of luck to all who are having or will have rads soon!

• elkatho
    Options

Hi All

Met with my family Dr....told me I made the right decision having the lump vs mx...added some comfort. He was comfortable with the fact that I had not met the MO yet....not out of the ordinary as MO Will want the results from lumpectomy.

Thanks for all your insights...I found a support group but the next meeting is not until April 11th...week after surgery so may be nice timing.

Stay strong and positive..great to have found you all.

• rmlulu
    Options

Elkatho - when is your lx? You may wish to update your profile with your info.

Take care...waiting is the hardest...but great time to enjoy family and friends LOL!

Hugs

Cindy

• elkatho
    Options

My lx is this Thursday April 4th at 9am. Thanks I updated my profile.

• rmlulu
    Options

Elkatho- will be holding you close...it's sounds funny, but if you can spend the next few days having fun ... laugh... family&friends makes the wait easier& full of love!

Cindy

• RiverFlows
    RiverFlows Member Posts: 2
    Options

Much love, light, and healing to Elkatho for her surgery tomorrow!

I'm in the middle of 20-day radiation treatment and a month post-op from my lx and only last week heard from my MO that she wants to do an oncotype dx test on my tumor to rule out chemo. Sounds like it is a little backwards but I guess that is the craziness of BC -- everyone's treatment is so different.

So I will find out Oncotype score next week or the week after. If the score comes back high and chemo is indicated, my RO wants to wait at least 4 weeks post-rad before starting on chemo since I'm having a tough time with radiation. But I am trying not to get ahead of myself. Again, the waiting is the worst, but I'm trying to stay POSITIVE :-)

How are other lumpies doing post op? My scars are numb and ridge-like. I have a extra scar where they inserted the partial rad device before realizing it would not fit in me after all.

• rmlulu
    Options

Elkatho- sending confident calming thoughts for good nights sleep and speedy recovery from your lumpectomy tomorrow. Will be in your pocket (((hugs)))

You will be surprise how sometime this weekend you stop and realize c is no longer heavy on your thoughts and you realize the fog has lifted...welcome to the other side:))

RiverFlows- yeah, 10/20 you are rockin rads! Well would have thought results from oncotype results would have been in before rads? But every team has their order, but glad you will have results to ensure you receive the best care.

My incisions are very red angry from 15/33 rads breast is now very pink and itches. But by Friday 1/2 done...yes...put a fork in it:). Soon this will be all over and I'll be planning my vacation:)). Anywhere but here ... Cool breezes please:)))

• lovestorun
    lovestorun Member Posts: 4
    Options

Good luck tomorrow Elkatho!

• elkatho
    Options

Heading to the hospital shortly...talk to you soon:)) sendinf peace to everyone.

• april485
    Options

Elkatho, we are there with you in spirit! Before you know it, you will be home with that ice pack on that boob and on your way to recovery! Hugs!!

• lovestorun
    lovestorun Member Posts: 4
    Options

It's been a little over 3 weeks since my re-excision and I still get these occasional out of nowhere twinges inside my breast; they aren't bad, just noticeable without any discernable cause / reason.  Is that common?  

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Lovestorun Yes that can happen as your breast continues to heal. I know it can take many months for bruising & swelling to go down. I had die injected as a tracer for my lymph nodes it took about 5-6 months for that to diassapear. I am now just over 10 months from my surgery & every once in a while I get a twing although some of that could be from RADS now. Just remember many nerves & connective tissue were cut. Things will feel differently for a while. I had a lot of pain from the CNB. I am still have numbness & pain. I was told it could take a year or more to go away or maybe never. The numbness is mostly when I touch the skin & the pain is very minimal every once in a while. It doesn't require me to take any pain meds. Everyone is unique & different. But usually the benchmark for feeling about 80 to 90% is a month out. 95 - 98% by 6 months would be my guess. My job is very physical as a nurses aide so I had to take 5 -6 weeks off. More so for the CNB. It's nothing for me to take total care of 100 to 300+ lb. Patients each night. Lifting, rolling, transferring, dressing, & washing 34 people for 2 Aides all night. My arm/underarm aches every now -n- then even this close to a year out. I only say this in reference so you can compare with your daily activities & can see where you might be. I'm also 46. Healing is different for all age groups & diabetics too. I am not but showing many factors can go into the mix. If these twinges/feelings would increase in intensity, get painful or have other symptoms of swelling or redness I would ask your BS about it. Sorry long winded & hopefully no mistakes or weird autcorrects as I am on my IPod. ; )

• Lisa1637
    Lisa1637 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Thinking of you Elkatho!! xo Lisa

• april485
    Options

Me too Elkatho! xoxo

• bridgethd
    bridgethd Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi all, I had a hollow core biopsy and they found a complex schlerosing lesion and want to do a lumpectomy. Wire guided. Path rept says structure benign but Dr says malignancy can be hiding behind and around. I lost my Mom to NH Lymphoma, as some have said on this thread,it has all been a kick in the gut. Going to consult w surgeon on 4/9/13,and to be honest I am terrified. Anyone go thru this?I know I haven't been diagnosed but so scared they will find something. I have a 4 Yr old girI and trying to stay strong. DH worried. Any words of encouragement appreciated. How long does it take for path report after surgery?

• Lisa1637
    Lisa1637 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Sending positive thoughts your way, bridgethd!! xo Lisa

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

Bridgethd.....I hear your concern/worry loud & clear.  First off it took my office through their hospital about a week to get the pathology report back.  In the US.  I know that various places  across the states may vary from days to a week or so.  Some get answers a few days sooner.   Know that just about ALL of us here have BC.  Some come here because they have higher risk of getting BC.  With that said.  I was a weird one & went through several biopsy's.  My mammo & US showed a complex cyst.  The fine needle biopsy showed it to be a mass as it was solid & the path report came back as Atypical Hyperplasia which is pre cancerous.  I then had to have other testing & a core needle biopsy which found I had DCIS.  But I have read many who have been where You are in one way or another that there path report from the lump biopsy came back B9.  There is a good chance that it will come back negative, but because of your path report result some can hide cancer as your Dr. has said.  Mine had a good chance of that also that is why they had to investigate because they couldn't take that small chance that it would be cancer & let it go.  There are some threads here on the High Risk section that have many who live with precancerous or who have had your path report results.  You also have to remember that many don't log on & just read & we never know of them!  I don't know if I have eased your mind at all.  It is hard to do for sure.  know you can come to us to ask ?'s.  Please keep in touch & let us know how things are going even if it's just to let off emotional steam!  The waiting is really hard!  Try to keep busy as much as you can.  Do something special for yourself!