Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lumpectomy Lounge....let's talk!

Options

Comments

• schoolmom
    schoolmom Member Posts: 327
    Options

Rads were not bad on my skin. I used Aloe force which I bought on line and had some pinking and a little peeling around nip. I have only been on Ht for a few weeks so not many side effects yet.

• Georgetta
    Georgetta Member Posts: 25
    Options

I'm having a lumpectomy today and I'm really scared.  I thought I was prepared for this and I'm sitting here crying.  I think I'm more scared of the what ifs. My tumor has shrunk alot but I think I'm worried about what they find in lymph nodes. 

Thanks for listening. 

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

I am nearly two years out from my lumpectomy. It and the following radiation (brachytherapy) was pretty much a piece of cake. Because of my oncotype score of 26, chemo followed radiation. As a result, I had some radiation recall and now have a very ugly half dollar size scar at the site. I also had a seroma which has caused me no problems but has been very slow to absorb.

I've been on letrozole for 15 months now. After about 3 months I started experiencing side effects of joint pain and serious hot flashes. Pain was manageable but the flashes were not, so we added effexor to the mix. My biggest problem now is hair thinning which can be an se.

Wishing all of you with impending surgeries the best.

• LaurieParr
    LaurieParr Member Posts: 214
    Options

Love and light to you Georgetta. We are all here for you. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. Know that you have an army of hearts with you today and going forward. God will be with you.

XOXOX

laurie

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    Options

Georgetta - (((hugs)))

Deep breaths...we are here with you...in your pockets (((squeeze))) and we will be with you when you wake up after your lumpie and we will be with your waiting for results of margins and nodes! We are here...lean on us.

Congrats that you've come so far in your battle ,,, you are a brave warrior!

Sending calming confident thoughts (((hugs)))

Cindy

• elkatho
    elkatho Member Posts: 68
    Options

Hi All....

Geotgetta...sending positive thoughts your way. Hoping your are resting comfortably. Everyone is so strong.

As everyone says the waiting is the hardest. My biopsy was positive for Her2 so I expected to have chemo. When they tested the tumor after surgery with a different test, FISH, it came back negative. So now what....another test...mamaprint and another two weeks for results. This test should help determine if chemo is recommended. It is a "off" feeling being ready to go through all treatments then whammy it may all change. It feels like a gray area. I set up a second opinion with another MO.

Stay strong everyone....love all the positive energy!!!

• rmlulu
    Options

Elkatho - sorry you are in the holding zone:(

Have you asked your BS or MO if they can rerun your her2 test? Might be good to confirm the findings. It's so hard to wait, but try and use this time for healing...stay focus on today. Don't get ahead of the journey. Remember we want the best! We want to have the truth as we move forward inpur tx decisions. Sending healing thoughts and (((hugs))) hang in there warrior!

Cindy

• Georgetta
    Georgetta Member Posts: 25
    Options

Thanks for the kind words. Lumpectomy went well. No lymph node involvement - yay!

I'm sore today, but I'll be ok. Looking at brachytherapy maybe as the the next step. Any thoughts?

Hoping for a good day for all,

Georgetta

• LaurieParr
    Options

Yay Georgetta! What a trooper you are!!

Please rest as much as you can. We will be here......

XOXOX

Laurie

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

For me, brachytherapy was a breeze. Be aware though that seromas are not uncommon with it. The worst part is not being able to shower for 7 to 10 days.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    Options

Georgetta, congrats on being done with your lumpectomy.

I am in a clinical trial for partial breast rads but it isn't internal like brachytherapy/mammosite etc. I am having external beam 4-D (says 3 in my siggy cause that was the only option close enough) and I have a cone CT scan before each trmt in the morning session to make sure on point. I am having 10 trmts in one week, 2 x a day, 6 hours apart. It is very precise. Here is a copy/paste of what has been going on so far with this trial. I am at Yale btw.

Report of clincal trial so far-

Whew! I am starting to feel the exhaustion I heard tell of. I can barely function. I am not sure if by Thursday I will be working in between or driving the 45 -50 mins by myself. I feel kind of spaced out (is that what you all felt like?) and dragging big time... not myself as I am usually fairly energetic. This morning I barely made 1/2 mile on my treadmill and I stopped. Normally I pump out 2.5 to 3 miles every day.

Also, the sting is starting. But, as a frame of reference, I am on treatment #13 in two days if I was having the regular 33 trmt protocol..13 is approximately 40% of 33 in case you are wondering how I came to that. But, tomorrow morning, I am HALF WAY THERE!! 50% done with trmt #5/10!  A tiny tiny bit of pink near the nipple but no other color/skin changes that I can see. I don't suspect I will see that until after I am done as that has been what has happened for others in this trial. Only ONE person had really severe peeling the RO told me. The rest was mild to moderate.

I don't have much of an appetite today. I felt nausea again this morning and I made sure to eat some protein (Greek yogurt) before rads. I brought soup for lunch but couldn't eat it so I left it in the fridge at work and might have it tomorrow. That is about it so far. Just really really tired. Could also be other things though, who knows?

• LaurieParr
    Options

April,

We have the same DX, so it really helps me to hear your experiences. Thank you so much for sharing. God bless.

Xoxo

Laurie

• rmlulu
    Options

Georgetta - so happy that all want well with your lx. Yippee no lymph nodes involved fingers&toes crossed for the final path results. Each day your body will begin to feel better and stronger. Remember we are in your pockets!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• schoolmom
    Options

Got results of thyroid biopsy....all normal. Yeah!

• rmlulu
    Options

Schoolmom- yeah! Glad to hear thyroid is normal. Can't help but wonder what all is going on... My face is peeling and I wear sunscreen powder Jane Irdale makeup.

Take Care

Cindy

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    Options

Fellow lumpies...

Always so happy to see this thread thriving and the many people that keep coming back to share their wisdom and advice to each other.  Forgive my lack of communication on the thread, but life has got me going a million different ways right now...when it all calms down I'll be better at checking in...

Thank you for RMlulu and April485 for taking the time they do to keep the thread going strong!

Prayers for all my sisters in lumpiehood....

Tori

• debbiema
    debbiema Member Posts: 8
    Options

hi everyone!  I had a lumpectomy on April 18th and while I'm feeling pretty good, there is still swelling.  Can you let me know how long your swelling and bruising lasted?  Thanks so much!  My follow up with the BS is Tuesday and I'm still waiting for final pathology!!

• rmlulu
    Options

Debbiema - congrats on your lx! Everyone's body is different. I'm not sure when the swelling went down over time, but it took time. I saw my BS a week after lx to receive path and the 2 week check up stitches were out. Steri srips a bit longer. Then MO & RO visits. Had a 4 week gap to heal after stitches out....breast swelling eased by then...genie bra was comfortable. Just remember going on walks used a soft cami gene bra a boob sock and then my trusted surgery sports bra...bounce was controlled ha!

Sending healing thought and best wishes for a great path report. Don't be surprise if you wrap for joy and relief it's a challenging journey...you will be fine warrior!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• 35_smiling
    35_smiling Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hello I had my lumpectomy on Friday April 12, 2013 and suposed to start radiation on May 9, 2013 (which is now on hold).  Today I received a call for my results.

We spoke with the nurse this afternoon regarding my pathology report and they said the spotty scattered mass they removed was in fact another cancer close to my known cancer area (on the right breast). 

This was told to me over the phone but I can't wait to see it in writing so I can fully understand. I am still confused regarding this....they said they would rather see something of a 2 millimeter area removed but what was removed was under 1 millimeter and I have to have another surgery to make sure everything is out. Another surgery!!! Noooo

They want me to fly back to Boston next week to speak with the surgeon then return for May 8, 2013 for surgery. I suggested considering I live in Bermuda I need to make this a one trip thing. I suggested to just remove my right breast all together and be done with all this surgery and traveling back and forth I figure if the whole right breast is removed then at least they have all the cancer. They said my two nodes came back negative...she said its a good thing and a bad thing...Wha! So confused...I think I was just in shock that my understanding skill just went out of the window when she said I have to have more surgery asap.

Also, considering its not guaranteed if they do this surgery and only remove the tissues in the area where the spotty scattered mass was...it's not guaranteed the cancer is somewhere else in that breast either.

The nurse wants me to go home and sleep on it and talk it over with my husband some more. She is going to speak with the surgeon regarding my request and also look into other options and call me back tomorrow. Then we can decided of a course of action so I can just make one trip on May 8th to perform what surgery we need.

I am not happy about this result...I just want it over...now this...I will keep you posted...

Gosh, you all have been such good friends...I guess now after all this is done my baby making days are diffidently over (at the age of 38 crying)
    Sorry all, I am just feeling really teary and down right now...

• rmlulu
    Options

35Smiling -

(((Hugs))) what a difficult phone conversation to receive. Hope that you are able to receive a hard copy or email of path report or a patient portal where you may review in detail.

Make a list of your question and call your BS back. I email questions...helps BC team know what are my concerns and answers ready.

Is the issue larger margins! Good surgeons go back for clear/larger margins all the time.

Nodes negative should be a good thing...we all want clear margins and nodes.

Bermuda paradise, but a long way from Boston. We live in TX but retained our medical in CA so it's hit the road or skies! Understand travel challenges...

Breathe! Cry! Lay under the moon light and stars...listen to the waves kiss the shoreline.

Sending calming thoughts full of hope your way.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• Lgfoster
    Lgfoster Member Posts: 5
    Options

April 24,2013

Saw the doctor today. Margins were clear so no need for further surgery.Yeah! Also only one node of the 25 they got with the ancillary dissection had cancer in it. However that node was 2 c.m. Which is quite large . tumor was estrogen+ . Don't know about HER status yet. They have to do more studies. They did say it was an aggressive kind. Now I have to wait to meet oncologist - could be 4 - 6 weeks. Seems like a long time. Hopefully it won't take that long. Working on the exercises find I feel quite a bit of pulling and some burning in my arm.

Great to see other people's experiences. You don't feel so alone that way. You also see their is hope to fight this off.

• rmlulu
    Options

Lgfoster - yeah the answers are coming in so that you and your BC team will be able to determine the best course of treatment for you! Breathe and be good to yourself as you heal.

Maybe your MO will place you on the cancelation list so that you might jump in a bit sooner...never know...always ask.

Sending calm healing thoughts your way:))

(((Hugs))) brave warrior.

Cindy

PS update your profile and make public.in your pocket:)

• schoolmom
    Options

Had my lumpectomy in Sept.  Now that I am finished with chemo and rads I am going to work on massaging the scars to break down the tissue hardening.  I remember I had to do that with knee surgery but have been so busy with all of this that never got around to it.  Scar for sentinel nod is almost invisible...lumpectomy is underneath the nip so hard to see. 

I used my "heart" pillow after surgery for a few weeks under my arm whenever I walked around the house or laid in bed.  It seemed to take the weight pressure off and pulling on the weight of the breast.  It helped me alot.  In fact I use my heart pillow still in the car to keep the seat belt off of my port....my onc is super cautious about removing the port for 6 months until all of the post chemo tests come back clear.  It is like a bad omen still staring me in the face.  Blood work and cancer markers are all good so I will be good to go after pet scan in June. 

• LaurieParr
    Options

My heart wrenches for you. You are in my prayers. Thank you for sharing with us. I know it is so very hard to go through all of this.

Hugs!!!!

• 35_smiling
    35_smiling Member Posts: 21
    Options

RMIulI and LaurieParr: Thank you so much.  I think I definitely want to go ahead with the mastectomy. I can’t deal with this anymore. I am so close to the end of the road. I only had to do 33 treatments of radiation and I was going to be done…now this…I will tell them my decision which is to go with the mastectomy and still do the radiation to make sure it completely kills any scattered cancers that could be lingering around.  I want to make sure I give this cancer the best fight ever (I hope it’s not an overkill). I will ask the nurse more questions regarding this when I speak with her today.

• CelineFlower
    CelineFlower Member Posts: 145
    Options

My surgery is may 30th...this thread has been helpful in keeping my fears in check..

thank you

Question... how does having a lumpectomy on each breast change the healing process?

• rmlulu
    Options

Welcome CelineFlower - glad you have found us:)) my you have been on a journey...hit c out of the park!

Ask your BS! A lx is easier as far as recovery. Less invasive. Out patient and the next day you feel good and 2 days out you are wow I'm doin good. C is gone.

I had lx&snd but I was feeling good 36 hours out. No drains some limits with arm movement for 2 wks but life is good post lx!

Make your list and ask your BS. Sending calming confident thoughts and giggles your way (((hugs)))

Cindy

• debbiema
    debbiema Member Posts: 8
    Options

I had my lumpectomy on 4/18.  Got clear margins, but looks like 1 of the 8 nodes they took is cancerous.  Although at a very, very early stage.  Meeting with the oncologist on Monday to see what the options are.  I was wondering if anyone had 1 node effected and chemo was not needed.  I know I'll need radiation and potentially chemo but just wanted to ask around.  I'm a single mother of two school age kids (husband died of pancreatic cancer in dec. 2010) so I need to be around for awhile!!! Thanks in advance for any info!!

• nyama
    nyama Member Posts: 38
    Options

35_smiling, sending lots of good thoughts and hugs your way--It's so difficult to know what to do, sometimes.   The decision to have a mastectomy seems like a very reasonable one in your circumstances.  And debbiema, I'm sorry to hear of the lymph node involvement.   I don't have any info for you, but sending some supportive hugs your way. 

Hi Celineflower.   I only had the lumpectomy on one breast (last week) but I did have oncoplasty along with it, which is basically plastic surgery on both breasts to even them out and eliminate the lx scar/dent, plus make them a little smaller to make it easier for rads--basically a bilateral lift and reduction.  So.  They removed tissue from both breasts, which I guess is a little like a lumpectomy on both sides, just a little more extensive.  I, personally, have had very little pain and have only taken plain tylenol for it since I left the hospital.  I think I've probably had a longer period of "no lifting," "no driving," etc., than I would have with just a lumpectomy on one side.  Part of that is probably due to the PS, though.  At any rate, all things considered, I haven't felt that bad with both sides affected.  I don't know if that helps or not. 

• schoolmom
    Options

debbie......my onc explained it to me that rads are a given when you choose to have the lumpectomy.  Chemo often depends on your oncotype dx testing.  I had 1 cm, with micromets in one of 3 nodes.  My cancer was grade 3, more agressive which actually responds more to chemo than less agressive grade 1.  My oncotype score was 21 with below 20 often not getting any benefit from chemo.  I chose to do 4 rounds of taxotere and cytoxin between Nov and Jan.  Get all the details from your doctor and see if you are a candidate for oncotype testing.