Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo Ladies- February/March 2013

Options

Comments

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hoping for easy times and minimal side effects for those who have just begun their adventure in chemoland. If you have questions, please post. There are many who have traveled this way before you and willing to walk with you.

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Wildcolonialgirl Member Posts: 119
    edited February 2018
    Options

Neulasta is not an option for me, either.  I am having shots the day after each of the infusions.  Was told to start Claritin the morning of the infusion, a full 24 hours before the shot.    

FaithWalker22, hope your third day is going well!  

• Wildcolonialgirl
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi ladies - had my first of 4 TC infusions today, and all went pretty well.  I started Decadron yesterday (total dose 16 mg), and doing another 16 today and then tomorrow (day 3).  Also had Zofran anti nausea prior to the infusions, and started Claritin this morning in preparation for tomorrow's Neulasta.  So far just a little bit of "taxotears" during the infusion and for a few minutes after but then it stopped.  Nurse stayed with me for the Taxotere for the first 15 minutes to watch for any reactions, and made it through without any.  Drank a liter and a half of water plus cranberry juice - staying as hydrated as possible.  Came home, did a little grocery shopping (thinking ahead), and then took a short walk.  Getting ready to settle in.  

Infusions 25% down!  

• FaithWalker22
    FaithWalker22 Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi ladies! I am on day 12 and I feel good! The SE's I've had so far are the constipation (days 1-3), dry mouth (days 3- 8), early stage thrush hit day 5 or so (my doctor prescribed some lozenges that attack the bacteria and they worked great), burning mouth/tongue (days 5-11) and every now and then a jolt/spasm in my lower back (started day 8 and happens once or twice a day-- not all the time; ibuprofen takes it right away). Biotin mouthwash and lozenges work wonders. Taste buds were waaaayyyy off days 6-10 but now they are much better. Not 100% but better, and for that I am thankful. Aside from the dry mouth, my appetite has been good. I only had to make myself for a day or two and that was because it was hard to taste or enjoy the texture of food. I allowed myself to eat eggs, ice-cream, or soup for a couple of meals because it was the only thing that was easy to handle.

My insurance covers a wig. My center (U Penn) has a Cancer Boutique and the wig vendor accepts insurance so I made an appt to get a custom wig made. I also bought lash and brow conditioning gel. It's offered at the Boutique and is all natural (Brian Joseph's Lash and Brow Conditioning Gel, $49.95) It says it "may help maintain lashes and brows during chemotherapy". They say for best results use before starting chemo but I figured since I'm not losing hair just yet, it was still worth trying. And even if I lose the brows and lashes, I'm hopeful the conditioning will allow them to come back faster.

Hope you all have an awesome day!

• Wildcolonialgirl
    edited March 2018
    Options

Faithwalker, thank you for the update and congrats on Round 1 being done!!

I am on Day 6 of Round 1, and afternoon/evening Day 3 and all of Day 4 were the "bad" days if I had to characterize.   First 2 days the steroids and premeds were working well (aside from a really puffy face - my teenage son wants to be a filmmaker and to let him be engaged in the process he's doing a time-lapse of my hair progression - which I wish we had done the morning of rather than the first evening - LOL!).  But overall I felt pretty good infusion day and the next day.  

I went from overactive intestines for 2 days to shutdown for 2 days so it has been a balancing act - when to take what.  After the constipation got bad I did ask for permission to take a probiotic - which I got from the nurse - and that has helped now.  (Be sure to ask your doc/nurse about it - not all are OK to take!)  Nausea was not a real issue for me but I think the pre-med and taking Compazine regardless for 3 days really helped.  I will say that the hydrate, hydrate advice is spot on - I have been doing water and lemon water as much as possible, and then mixing pure cranberry juice with ginger beer, which is really refreshing.  I keep imagining I'm flushing all the bad things out of my system as quickly as possible.  My husband mixes the cranberry and ginger beer for me - so far it's been in a margarita glass, a champagne glass, and a big pilsner, nicely garnished with lemon or lime.  I told him he needs to create a book of "mocktails."    

Agree on the taste buds - for me it's not that food tastes bad, it just doesn't taste as much.  Kind of like eating really bland food when you know it's not bland.  First few days I ate a lot of mashed potatoes and creamed spinach (not too creamy, just enough to help with consistency).  Last night was the first hungry night and we ordered pizza - I got a triple veggie - peppers, garlic and onions.  No mouth issues so far but rinsing frequently with water, baking soda once or twice a day, and then using the Biotene, which I also recommend.  They also have a nice Biotene toothpaste in a mild mint.  

This morning I tried something different for breakfast - whole wheat toast with olive oil instead of butter, and sprinkled a lot of oregano on it.  It was actually really good!

Other than that my skin is smooth - I am tearing through Lubriderm and lip balm.  Saw a few hairs in the brush and on the pillow this morning - ran some Argan oil through my hair and into my scalp.  It softened the hair and smells nice.  I am going to try a brow/lash conditioner - thanks for the tip!  

Happy Tuesday ladies!!!

• Wildcolonialgirl
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies - Day 6 post infusion #1 for me.  I felt pretty good infusion day and Day #2 - had lots of premedication and was helpful.  Also hydrated, hydrated, hydrated and I think that's excellent advice.  Had a Neulasta on Day 2 and had started the Claritin on Day 1, it seems to help (not completely but joint and bone pain was more discomfort, very tolerable).  

Day 3 mid-afternoon into evening I started to get overall achy and very tired - and Day 4 was "icky" - best way to describe it.  Kind of like the flu - you can rally briefly - but then say "nope" and need to lie down.  I took my meds and drank, drank, drank.  Drinking lots of water, lemon water, and then my husband makes me "mocktails," usually cranberry and sparkling or cranberry and ginger beer - all served in a nice wineglass, margarita glass, champagne glass.  I told him he needs to write a book!

My tastebuds are just "dull" - best way to describe it.  I know the food should be more flavorful and tasteful - it's not that it tastes bad, it just doesn't really taste that much at all.  I had overactive intestines Day 1 and Day 2, and then they just about shut down Days 3 and 4 - LOL! - hard to decide what to take.  Day 5 I was finally seriously hungry - we ordered pizza last night and i got triple veggie loaded with garlic.  Got a little tired last night but otherwise it was OK.  Was able to do almost a full day's work from home - fortunately our company is such that we all telework liberally so it's been helpful.  

My girlfriend who was through this many years ago said the "bad" days are fairly consistent cycle to cycle so it helps to plan.  So it's good to know 3 more weekends this spring are shot!  Smile

Work and grocery shopping today - hopefully the last snowstorm of the season is due to hit New England tomorrow.  My 88 year old mom lives with us and she has a list of food sufficient to get a family of 10 through a month of being snowed in.  i am negotiating to pare it down...

Happy Tuesday to all TC ladies!  

• Wildcolonialgirl
    edited March 2018
    Options

Apologies for the double post!!  The first one said it was not valid or something.  So sorry to fill up the pages, ladies.  

Wildcolonialgirl

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies, I was hoping someone could answer this--

I am 14 months PFC, 4 rounds of TC, and STILL don't have taste. Anyone else experience this and when did it come back?

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2018
    Options

Pamela23- Sorry your taste buds have not returned after chemo. Unfortunately, I have no answer to your questions since my sense of taste returned. You may want to have a chat with your MO at your next appointment.

• Wildcolonialgirl
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi everyone - posted most of this on the March 2018 Starting Chemo thread, but thought it might be helpful for anyone here who is on TC.  

I am now 2 1/2 weeks post the first Round, and can say that for the past week I have felt really good - lots of energy, appetite and taste back to normal, and able to work (telework, actually from home, but at a full pace), use the treadmill, and get out and about regularly.  Hang in there, those early into their first round of TC!  Days 3-4 were the worst for me, and then gradually over the next week things improved.  The big thing after day 5 was still weird taste, and tiredness, particularly at the end of the day.  Listen to your body - rest when it says rest.  And know that after about 10 days you'll start to feel like you again.  I go back this Thursday for Round 2 and will be tracking everything in my journal again.  

Practical tips or observations from the TC world:

Nails - Fingernails looking good so far - I have changed polish myself only 2 times, and am using OPI Nail Envy as a base coat with a dark polish on top.  Keeping them quite short and trying to obey the rules of no using them as levers :), and staying out of hot water and using rubber gloves for all kitchen tasks.  When I change the polish (non-acetone remover) I have massaged olive oil into my nails and cuticles - it really seemed to have helped keep them soft.  

Toenails - had a pedi yesterday.  My manicurist used all new files and sanders and then bagged them up for me to take home so I can bring them back next time.  Also used the Nail Envy as a basecoat and then a dark polish.  I have to laugh about the dark polish to keep out UV - we've had so little sun here in New England lately and it surely isn't open toe season yet!  I have been rubbing Egyptian Magic onto my feet and toes before socks or hose (you can get it at Costco) - it's worked really well. In fact, my manicurist said the skin on my feet was amazing.  I used to rub Egyptian Magic onto my son's hands when he was into gymnastics and getting all kinds of rips and ugly blood blisters from the bars and rings, so I really can vouch for it.  

Hair - I guess it's day 18 for me and it's falling out but still not in clumps (although I already buzzed it).  I got some shampoo and conditioner with Argan oil in it, and then after patting my head dry I am patting pure Argan oil into my scalp.  It has kept it from getting dry, and I haven't any pain with hair coming out.  Been wearing a turban in the house and that catches strays.  

Skin - I am moisturizing like crazy, but I always had dry skin so it's kind of second nature.  Overall, seems to be helping and my Day 6-7 underarm rashes are all cleared up.  

Wig update - I had ordered one human hair wig (yes, these are a splurge, they are more costly) - and it came light brown, nothing like the auburn color I had thought.  I took it to my stylist to see what he thought and after reading the insert he said "we can dye this your color," and so he did.  I've been coloring my hair for 15 years now for grays, and so he used the same formula, and then trimmed the wig.  This one looks and feels like "Me," and I really like it.  So if anyone is thinking about a human hair wig and your hair is darker, a light wig can be tinted to your color - and the bonus is no root touch-ups ever needed.

Thanks to all here who share their TC experiences!

• Hope2018
    Hope2018 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Wildcolonialgirl,

Sounds like you are doing all the right things.  Thankfully, we have this forum to help us.  Spring is suppose to be coming soon and those toes and pretty feet will be ready to go.  Lots of hugs, makeup and most of all love will get us through this. 

I'm a collector of hats.  So I'm thinking for running out (if I can run) to the store, gym, etc.  all I would need is some hair attachment to the hat instead of a full wig.  For other occasions certainly a wig.  Some people suggest a full cap wig.  I'm wondering how comfortable they are on bare skin.  Perhaps the wig itself is soft inside or maybe there is a cap to wear underneath that is soft.  I haven't investigated this yet.  My head is pretty small (no brains) so this might be a challenge.........

The Argan oil sounds like it is working.  Thank you for the tips on the nails.....At 69 it's hard to get those hands and feet to look decent.  Especially since my hands are in water a lot.  I try to remember to use the gloves.... 

Thank you for the update.

Hugs.

Joanie from Jersey  

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,109
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hope - you can buy "hats with hair" that have hair attached to the outside of the cap. You can get expensive models with human hair or better deals with synthetic. I bought a baseball cap with hair and wore it several times but there are numerous choices for the kind of hat.

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited March 2018
    Options

Ladies

When I was going through Chemo I did not want to get wig because they were hot and heavy, I finally found the brand Aspen Wigs that worked great , they were not heavy at all and they are styled so well you can wear right out of the box

• Wildcolonialgirl
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi everyone!  Thanks for the cap and wig tips - I am going to look into the baseball cap with hair, sounds great!

I am planning to attend a Look Good/Feel Better session at my center the first week in April - have heard only good things about them so far.  And yes, Hope/Joanie - lots of makeup (I haven't done as much eye makeup in years, but it's coming back - LOL!)

Hugs!

• minustwo
    edited March 2018
    Options

I had a wig but mostly I wore BUFFS. They were available at REI and Academy and came in a variety of colors and SO soft. I still tie one to my purse when I'm going to a place I think my head or neck might get cold.

http://buffusa.com/shop-buff/women/multifunctional...

• Jlove1821
    Jlove1821 Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2018
    Options

hi! I am going on my last TC on thurs( 4 doses) and I've gained about 15 lbs in the last couple of months and just feeling round.. I know some can be from steroids. Anyone active on here than finished treatment have any feedback if the weight came off post last chemo? I'm also on chemopause so I'm guessing that doesn't help! I'm 34 and I was losing weight after my 3rd kid finally and was pretty bummed to gain all this weight on chemo!

• Melrosemelrose
    edited April 2018
    Options

Jlove1621- Hoping your final chemo tomorrow goes well. As for the gaining of weight while in chemoland, yes it happens. You are right that some of the weight may be from water retention because of the steroids. Please try to easy on yourself and allow yourself to recover from the chemo. Unfortunately, once one has had the last round of chemo, the side effects do not turn off like a light switch. I wish they did. In short, give yourself some time to get heal from the chemo. Once you are feeling better, it will be easier to adjust your diet and get more exercise. Wishing you the best.

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi everyone,

My wife is scheduled to start Cytoxan and Taxotere next week. She had a mastectomy last week. They were not able to find any lymph nodes due to a lumpectomy and node biopsy for DCIS 22 years ago, followed unfortunately by acute leukemia 16 years ago. Because they could not find any nodes and the fact the tumor was 3.1 cm, the safe thing is do chemo but....

Obviously, she doesn't want to risk another leukemia battle. The handout our oncologist gave us today refers to leukemia as a long term risk with Taxotere. Has anyone heard this? I googled the topic and found a few studies that discussed a small risk (<1.0%).

Was this ever discussed with you? We're going to ask the doctor.

Thanks,

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600
    edited April 2018
    Options

morning, hope u don't mind jumping in since as an early April TC member. Wildcolonoial girl- I ordered a headband with a ponytail from headcovers.com. it fits with any hat you may have and i ordered 2 ball caps from them. You could trim the pony tail or put it in a messy bun through the ballcap. Thanks for the nail tips. Like you, i love my real hair wig. Waiting to lose all the hair to wear it. I'm a nurse in pre-op so i lucked out there and ordered several cute scrub hats. Perfect place to work with no hair! Engine, the risk of leukemia was not discussed by my MO. I'm guessing like you said because it pretty far down the list but i know its there. I hope your wife is going ok. I had my 2nd treatment yesterday with zero side effects the first round. Each round is different but staying hopeful!

• Cooljewels
    Cooljewels Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Options

I had Cytoxan/Taxotere from March 2017 to July 2017 and now I am 10 months out, and my hair is coming in very thing and I have male pattern baldness, before my breast cancer I had nice thick hair and now it's barely coming in, I use rogaine every day and have been to a dermatologist who couldn't help me.  What do I do? I am devastated my hair isn't coming back in.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited May 2018
    Options

Cooljewels- Truly sorry about your hair situation. My hair came back in much thinner but it did return. The growth was slow because I was still on Herceptin for a year. I have read that Herceptin may cause the hair to grow slower. I used Nioxin shampoo. I can't tell you if that helped or not. You may try taking some Biotin..... it may help. I wish there was a clear answer for you so that you would feel better about things. Hugs to you......

• minustwo
    edited May 2018
    Options

Cool - yes do try Biotin. I take 5000 mcg per day at the urging of my MO and my dermatologist. I'm surprised your dermatologist didn't have any ideas. They are in charge of "hair, skin & nails". I'd been going to one for years because of sun damaged skin, but had no idea she was the first line of defense for chemo damaged hair & nails. Anyway, several years of Biotin has made a difference. Note - it takes a long time. A full year for toe nails to turn over for example.

Melrose - nice to see you.

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    edited May 2018
    Options

minus two... haven’t been on in a while. How are you doing? Does the biotin help with the nails? Mine are so soft and they tear. My hair is thin which maybe a result of the letrozole. Wondering if it Would much if I added that to my daily pills? My mo ask never suggested it

• minustwo
    edited May 2018
    Options

ThinkingPosistive - Doing OK thanks. Yes, I started back on it. My big toe nails detached but never totally came off. unfortunately a fungus got under the nails. I finally got a decent podiatrist who cut them WAY back, but they're growing again now. That's how I know it takes a year. She insisted even though I had stopped the BIotin after two years that I start it up again. It certainly does help my nails. And it's really helping the hair on my arms - LOL. Or really not funny. Hair never grew back in my armpits but the hair on my forearms is an inch long. EEEK.

• thinkingpositive
    edited May 2018
    Options

minus two. Glad to hear! So we can take biotin, it’s not an issue?

• minustwo
    edited May 2018
    Options

All of my docs said go for it. But of course you should check with yours since we're all different.

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited May 2018
    Options

My armpit hair hasn't grown back either and my leg hair seems to have stopped. The sides and back of my hair grow like weeds but the top seems to be growing at the rate of a sloth. Almost like male pattern baldness. My hairdresser said she had another client with the same issues and that once she stopped the hormonal drug therapy her hair came back stronger than before.

• minustwo
    edited June 2018
    Options

My armpit hair didn't come back either - thank heavens. With the ALND surgery, I could never shave. Unfortunately my leg hair is growing like gangbusters.

• thinkingpositive
    edited June 2018
    Options

The hair on my legs and armpits grows very slow. My eyebrows grew partially back and my lashes are so thin almost looks like nothing. My hair is also thinning which I guess is all due to letrozole?

• sugar8
    sugar8 Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2018
    Options

My armpits barely grow which is good. But I was lucky as my hair grew back and is still thick. I exercise a lot and my hairdresser told me it helps hair growth. Hope so. My eyebrows have improved but still use pencil when going out. Give it time Cooljewels and keep well