Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo Ladies- February/March 2013

Options

Comments

• Bumming19
    Bumming19 Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2019
    Options

Good luck DebraC and thanks for responding.

• SJWhitten
    SJWhitten Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2019
    Options

TC #3 of 4 later today; I haven't noticed a change in eyebrows or eyelashes. I buzzed my head, but I still haven't lost all my hair. I think I would have very thin/bald spots if I still had longer hair, though. So I'm glad I did it.

The only way I knew my WBC tanked after the first treatment was b/c I was having other issues about a week later -- really sore throat, mouth very tender, vaginal yeast infection -- enough issues that the NP said she wanted to see me. Of course, if you walk thru the door, they take blood :) A week or so after the second treatment, I ran fever (100.6) for one evening, so the NP insisted on seeing me again, but my WBC was within normal limits that time.

Bumming, I hear ya on not knowing what's normal. Ask any time! This thread has been a great help to me too.

• Bumming19
    edited June 2019
    Options

SJWhitten

Good luck today with #3! Thanks for your response.

• SJWhitten
    edited June 2019
    Options

#3 is done. Other than having major issues getting my IV started, everything went well. I feel tired and woozy. I got the Neulasta On Pro this time. Jury is still out on whether this is easier/better than having to go back tomorrow for the injection. We'll see.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

• Bumming19
    edited June 2019
    Options

Glad #3 is done. Hope you can get some rest

• debrac
    debrac Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2019
    Options

Morning ladies,

Completed my last TC treatment yesterday. First three had no issues pop up. The nurses were confident I'd go through without a hutch, me too. About half way thru taxotere, I felt pressure in my chest. Not bad, but something not right. So we stopped, they gave me benedryl. That's was immediate drowsy and sleepy.

Waited for a hour for all to subside and then started back slower. Made it through and on to the cytoxan. Not problems after.

Happy to be done and move on to next phase. I know I will be chemotose starting tomorrow thru Monday at least.

Power on friends!!! 💪🏻

• SJWhitten
    edited June 2019
    Options

DebraC,

Woohoo on your last one!!!!

Congrats! Get some rest.

• Bumming19
    edited June 2019
    Options

Congrats and good luck to you

• tennisgirl1
    tennisgirl1 Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2019
    Options

DebraC, Great picture of a beautiful woman on a great day! In 2 1/2 hrs I’m going in for my first round of chemo. Not going to lie, I’m scared. I know it’ll be better after I get through it.

Thank you all for posting the detailed info about each round of chemo and what your experiences were. It helps so much as I prepare for this part of my journey. I hope to do so as well, when I get into this stage of the challenge. I gain much strength and support from you all and am so thankful for you.

I got this 💪🏻!!!

• Bumming19
    edited June 2019
    Options

Tennis girl1You've got this-you go girl!

• SJWhitten
    edited June 2019
    Options

Tennisgirl1 - Thinking of you today! You got this!

• Bumming19
    edited June 2019
    Options

DebraC

I love your last day picture. You look fantastic. Strong and beautiful

• debrac
    debrac Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2019
    Options

Tennisgirl and Bumming,

Thank you for your sweet comments. I’m so happy to have this last treatments done. Looking forward to the future. You ladies will get there too. I try to stay positive, but there are definitely down days, crying throwing a fit days too. I just give in to those and get it all out.

Stay strong and positive 💪🏻

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited June 2019
    Options

Welcome to those who found this thread. It's been a while since I've been here but just wanted to let each of you know that one can get through chemoland and there are many who traveled this way before you. Every day is a new day and one just has to keep pushing forward. I know you may have good days and also some not so good days. Listen to your body---- nuture your body and mind---- eat, hydrate, rest, and exercise. Be easy on yourself. Sending many hugs and positive energy your way.

• tennisgirl1
    edited June 2019
    Options

Day 1 after my first chemo. It was so much easier than I thought. It took 3 1/2 hrs from start to finish, including premeds. I had ice socks and hand ice bags on during the Taxotere infusion. I only had mild nausea and fatigue after, but not bad at all. I slept pretty well, only waking up a few times. I know I'm on the steroid high and feeling great now. I have the Neulasta injection buddy attached to my abdomen which will deliver the med this afternoon. That might change things, but I'm not looking for trouble. One thing at a time. My kids are coming over to cut my hair chin length today. Then next weekend my son-in-law is going to shave my head and he wants me to shave his! I'm drinking 3 liters a day and concentrating on protein. I cut up a prune and added it to cottage cheese for breakfast. We shall see how this plays out. I got this!💪🏻image

My injection buddy!

• Bumming19
    edited June 2019
    Options

MelroseMelrose,

Thank you for the encouragement and

Tennisgirl1

You’ve got it under control!

My hair started falling out big time yesterday. Today I bought a wig and some hats. Kind of made me sad, but what a mess! Clumps of hair all over the place. Going to get my head shaved tomorrow. Can’t wait!

• Bumming19
    edited June 2019
    Options

what do people use on their scalp while hair is falling out and after it gets shaved? Is it better to shave your head or cut the hair real short

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,110
    edited June 2019
    Options

Bumming - hair cutting is a debate. I cut mine less than shoulder length before I started chemo. Just as it started falling out, I had it cut very short - think buzz cut - but not shaved. I was told it would be more comfortable down the road.

It's a good idea to wear a cap while the short hair is falling. That way it doesn't get all over your pillow & furniture & clothes every time you move. I used a clothes lint roller on my head several times a day - as well as the inside of my caps. I bought a couple of soft caps at stores that sell wigs for chemo patients. Look for caps with few seams.

• Bumming19
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thank you Minus Two. I really appreciate your input. I did get my hair shaved short and bought a wig. Feeling rather ugly tonight, but it is what it is. Tomorrow’s a new day

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600
    edited June 2019
    Options

awe, bumming! This period will fly by and your hair will start filling in before you know it. Some days we feel uglier than others that's for sure. I wore a sleep cap at night and around the house. I did use argan oil on my head and also used a clarifying shampoo on my scalp. It helps to keep the follicles clear. I was where you are about this time last year and I'm feeling great now. You will too!! Hang in there and you are RIGHT ON. Tomorrow is a new day. Take care and a big hug to you.

• Bumming19
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thank you DebAL for your kind words.

• bevemar
    bevemar Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2019
    Options

I was at the Cancer Center today for an appointment with my oncologist. He had the ONCOTYPE DX test done and my number came back 27. The oncologist recommended I have Chemotherapy, Taxotere and Cytoxan. I have read about the nasty side effects from these drugs and I am honestly afraid and scared. I live 30 minutes one way from our Cancer Center and hospital and my husband has early dementia, Type 1 diabetes on 2 different insulins. I am 73 years old, had a mastectomy on May 20th and I had been thinking about getting a 2nd opinion, however, since I had my mastectomy on May 20, 2019, I thought I had better start with the chemotherapy. I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma, Stage 1, Grade 2, estrogen+, progesterone+ and HER+. We have no family in the area we live in Wisconsin to help us out. If anyone has any suggestions, advice, how to deal with the nasty side effects I did read about from the Cytoxan and Taxotere I would greatly appreciate this. Thank you so much for reading my post and also I will be getting a port in me for the Chemo drugs. beve.....

• minustwo
    edited June 2019
    Options

Beve - Will you have Herceptin also for the HER2+? Are they talking about chemo and then surgery? Or maybe radiation too?

I was just a little younger than you when I had chemo. I live 40+ minutes from our medical center and drove by myself every time. If you're fairly independent and if you can leave your DH alone, that should work for you. You won't usually feel too bad the actual day of the infusions. I also drove myself back & forth to radiation every day for 5 weeks. And for Herceptin for the rest of the year. Surgery would be the only time someone would absolutely have to pick you up at the hospital since you won't be able to drive for a couple of days - at least until the anesthesia's out of your system & you are off pain meds. My son came for 3 days for my surgery. In any case...YOU CAN do it.

Below is a good thread for things you might need. It's unlikely you'll need everything, but as I had no local family either, I purchased things I thought I might need ahead of time. Just be sure to take the nausea meds ahead of time and don't let that get started. Cook ahead & freeze foods. Drink lots of liquids. And mainly - sleep when you're tired.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics...

• Bumming19
    edited June 2019
    Options

Beve, I’m sorry you are faced with this issue. The treatment is doable. I’m in my mid sixties, but I’ve finished 2 treatments, two to go! Besides losing most of my hair, I’ve been able to manage the rest of the side effects-some bowel issues, not much nausea(take the meds as needed), and increased tiredness. I had the surgery and didn’t want to wait to begin chemo either. If you can make up some meals ahead of time and put in the freezer that would be great. The whole experience is scary because you don’t really know what to expect. You’ll get through it. This blog is very helpful. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from friends and groups of which you belong. Take care of yourself. Hugs

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited June 2019
    Options

Beve, I worked through chemo with TC. I was never sick. Had chemo on Friday and took off Monday and sometimes Tuesday. Mostly felt like I had the flu for a few days. Had constipation too. I iced my hands and feet. I didn’t cold cap, was just too much to handle. I got thrush after each chemo but used a swish and swallow and it cleared it up. Got a bad UTI too when my counts were low. Otherwise, I was really surprised at how easy TC was for me. Once you get through the first one you’ll know what to expect and it will be much easier. You can do it!

• Fairydragonfly
    Fairydragonfly Member Posts: 132
    edited July 2019
    Options

I will be boarding the TC train tomorrow for 4 cycles. Glad to have this thread and support of those who are going/have gone through this.

• Flower216
    Flower216 Member Posts: 87
    edited July 2019
    Options

Fairydragonfly….good luck tomorrow!! My best advise is drink ALOT of water!!!!!!!!

• tultha
    tultha Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2019
    Options

So nice to find a place where I can get some comparative answers with what I am experiencing. I started chemo on June 25th (Tuesday). Sounds like it was typical of what others here have had. First two and a half days were great, busy and energetic. Wednesday went in for the Neulasta shot. Thursday evening began feeling achy, especially neck and back areas. Friday was miserable; no matter what I did, I could not get comfortable. I was up and down, sitting, standing, squirming, and basically self exhausting. I tried taking the recommended Tylenol, but that didn't touch the aching. No sleeping Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Burning pains I my stomach and groin areas. Felt like a Gremlin was randomly stabbing me with a screwdriver. Saturday afternoon I had teeth chattering chills (no high fever), heart palpitations, and just wanted to run screaming into the distance. Sunday morning I woke and told my husband, "I can't do this again". Monday I had an appointment at the clinic for a blood test. Everything was okay except my bone marrow count had tanked (as expected). I was exhausted and still angry at the weekend. My mouth was so sore I couldn't eat (not that I had much appetite anyway). Long story short, I was given Tramadol for the pain, Loraxepam for the anxiety, and some really horrendous liquid to swish in my mouth (for the Thrush). After 2 days, the symptoms and insomnia began to lessen. Mouth got better, congestion set in. Congestion got better, nosebleeds started. Nosebleeds lessened, hair has now begun to fall out.

I *have* agreed to do the next treatment. My hope is that with the meds on hand, and the time table of the last treatment, maybe I can anticipate some of the events and control them a bit better. I really want to get through all the treatments, as my doctor feels confident this is the cure, and not just a stepping stone. I will still have radiation when the chemo is over.

This whole process has humbled me in so many ways. My best friend went through this 8 years ago, and I will be the first to admit I wasn't there for her. I had absolutely NO clue what she was feeling. I failed her. I have hugged her so may times in the last few months, because she HAS been there for me and it is priceless. I also need to acknowledge all the brave ladies out there going/gone through chemo. You all have my utmost admiration I still don't know if I can make it through all 4 sessions, but I will try. Thank you all for your courage and support!

• tennisgirl1
    edited July 2019
    Options

tultha, I just posted in the June 2019 Chemo thread about my second round of Taxotere and Cytoxin. You perfectly described my side effects with the first round. I am now Day 10 after my second round. I have to say that this last round, while still bringing all the brutal side effects, was much easier to handle. I kept a detailed journal with side effects, meds,remedies, anything that I experienced, day to day. It proved to be so comforting and helpful knowing the deep pain and unrelenting frustration will get better. You will feel energy return and optimistic thoughts emerge again.

Hang in there. You can do this. This is hard, but you can do hard. One day you will look back and not believe how strong and brave you are. You aren’t alone. ❤️

• minustwo
    edited July 2019
    Options

I was lucky to escape nausea since they put meds in my infusion. However I did not escape nearly constant diarrhea. No matter what I drank, I had to have at least one extra bag of saline between each round. And panty liners became a mandatory accessory - plus extra in my purse when I went out. Before the 6 rounds were over, I had lost 60 pounds that I really didn't need to lose. Keep on top of this one & don't get dehydrated.