Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo Ladies- February/March 2013

Options

Comments

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited December 2017
    Options

MamaFelice- Only 2 more to go!!! Hang in there!!! Glad you are having a little easier time with Round #4. Drinking fluids helps flush that a chemo through. You can get fluids in by drinking Gatorade, broth, flavoring your water with fruit ( orange slices, lemon slices, etc) and by eating popsicles, watermelon, grapes, etc. I know that the increased fluid intake does make one make frequent bathroom trips but it's better than feeling not so good. Keep hydrated as best you can.

As for hormone therapy, I'm on Tamoxifen. I was not in menopause when I was diagnosed much to the surprise of many since I was 56 yrs old. My oncologist and I have had many discussions about the Tamoxifen and whether I should be switched to a aromatase inhibitor which is usually prescribed for menopausal women. I know some who have had issues on both types of therapy. Some have opted to not take the therapy while others take the therapies inconsistently or quit before the 5 year mark. To take one of these therapies is a personal decision since either drug has its own side effects. I take my Tamoxifen for myself, my family and in honor to those who do not have any type of hormonal therapy available for them. Since I've been able to tolerate my Tamoxifen side effects, the decision has been made to keep me on it. As for how much longer I will be on Tamoxifen is unknown. That topic will be discussed at my 6 month checkup since there is on going research that suggests 10 years is better than 5 years.

Hope you have minimal side effects and a restful holiday.

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited December 2017
    Options

Mama

Melrose advice is right on, rest as often as you need, exercise when you can and eat for protein. I had 4 rounds of TC and the 3 and 4th one kicked my butt big time. I could not eat, nothing tasted good and just didn't want food. When I did eat it I tried to eat natural and high in natural fats and and protein. Lots of avocados, peanut butter, almonds , brown rice and fried chicken without the skin and I hate chicken but it tasted good to me for what ever reason.

Looking at your stats why did it take them so long to find all of the tumors , you were first dx in May and they didn't find the rest until Sept. did I read that correctly

• kechla
    kechla Member Posts: 181
    edited December 2017
    Options

Mama, I finished with chemo a little over a year ago and have been on Tamoxifen. My cycle came back with a vengeance (it was bad before chemo...) and had a hysterectomy about 3 months ago. I am still on tamoxifen for another year. In addition to it's estrogen blocking effects, it is also good at building bone density. AI's tend to deteriorate bone density. Since I was pre-menopausal (47 now) they want me to take Tamoxifen for another year to build my bone density even though I am now in full (surgical) menopause. After that, I will be on AI's for 3 years.

• MamaFelice
    MamaFelice Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thank you ladies for your kind replies!

I'm hangin in here with #4 but it is probably the holiday high that is keeping me feeling better than if it was at another time. I don't know how I'm going to manage #5 & 6, but I'll hunker down and drive it home! I just feel generally "poisoned"-- blah. You all know and I appreciate the empathy.

Yes, HoneyBeaw, you interpreted my stats correctly. I was diagnosed mid-May and had an immediate lumpectomy because they thought it was 1cm with clear nodes, and I was leaving with my family to travel for a month abroad on June 12th, so we were moving quick. Lumpectomy found 2.5cm mass with one margin smaller than they would have preferred along with 2/3 nodes +, so they knew they wanted to go back in and get a larger margin.

Onco allowed me to continue with our family travel plans. When we returned, I headed to Duke for a 2nd opinion. You see, my BC was caused by radiation I received from treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma 25 years ago, so I wanted to ensure I was getting opinions from a place that has seen more cases similar to mine. Duke ran some additional tests like MammaPrint. I eventually decided to have BMX at Duke and had to wait a month for surgery. BMX revealed an additional 5.5cm tumor that was hidden in dense breast tissue from mammogram-- plus another 10/11 nodes-- bummer! Panic set in as I was then sent for PET scan to determine if metastatic. No scans had been done before this time. Blessedly, PET was clear. And so here I am working to kick cancer's butt!

The endocrine therapy is an important step in my treatment plan, so I appreciate you all sharing your post TC therapies with me too. Anyone consider ovarian suppression or removal? I want this to stay away. Two times with cancer is enough for me!

Christmas blessings to all of you! I'm off to watch a holiday movie with my family!

• kechla
    edited December 2017
    Options

I did have my ovaries removed along with my hysterectomy 3 months ago, but am still on Tamoxifen... I think unless you need them removed, it may not relieve you from taking hormonal medicines. BTW, even with ovaries removed, our bodies still make some estrogen. Just not very much...

I am glad to hear that your scans were clear. My dad was just diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins lymphoma and is 3 chemo treatments in (out of 6). He will not be doing radiation. Just surgery and chemo. He had his PET scan a couple weeks ago and all clear as well as signs of his lymph nodes where it was originally detected reducing in size. :) I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with cancer AGAIN. :( One of my fears is that something I've done to get rid of this cancer will cause another... I suppose I have to fight the monster in front of me, not the one that might be around the corner.

• MamaFelice
    edited December 2017
    Options

That's exactly right Kechla! Fighting the beast in front of me....but I admit to questioning "the medical machine" all the time. I'm grateful that the treatments for my HL cured me of it and gave me 24 healthy years. I cannot really complain, just bummed. You have had to face BC twice! How do you feel about it returning after having a BMX? How did you find your lump? Did you receive any radiation or other treatment after first diagnosis? Thank you for sharing

• MamaFelice
    edited December 2017
    Options

Just waking up and after starting to make note of some yesterday, I am noticing increased body, joint, maybe muscle pain?? Mainly achiness in body and joints, and I am not taking the Neulasta shot so I cannot blame it on that. Assuming it is the Taxotere. I am going to read up on SEs, but of course coming to you ladies first.

I did just have TC #4 on Tuesday and stopped taking steroids on Thursday. I remember mild aches in previous infusions but honestly wrote it off to other things like sitting too long. This is more chronic and obvious. Maybe a detox bath will help. Thanks for help ladies

• kechla
    edited December 2017
    Options

my recurrence was a shock. I had a bmx for dcis. It was spread out and deep, but contained. Had clear margins and no lymph node involvement. Bmx gave a 99% probability of no recurrence... no radiation chemo or tamoxifen was give due to such a low chance for recurrence. So, after 8 years to have felt a lump blindsided me a bit. I had a very difficult biopsy before my bmx. I personally think this caused some cancer cells to be seeded elsewhere. My recurrence was under my biopsy scar... The new cancer was identical to the first one except had progressed to stage 1. I was not able to check lymph nodes this time due to the bmx having destroyed the lymph pathways. They felt they could no longer identify the nodes w dye. Ultrasounds looked clear.

I agree with your assessment of the medical machine. I have a healthy skepticism and do a lot of research on everything that is recommended. Still, difficult choices to make...

• beckyt23
    beckyt23 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2017
    Options

I am also beginning the chemo journey on January 9, 2018. Thank you all for such good information.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited January 2018
    Options

Beckyt23- Just wanted you to know we are here for you. I know that January 9 will be here before you know it. Do your best to continue to eat and sleep well and get some exercise in. A daily routine of eating, resting and exercising can help one get through chemoland. In short, put your health and well being as first priority if you can and be easy on yourself. The day before the first infusion, try to hydrate to help your body be ready for the chemo. The hydration helps the veins plump and may help them to be easier to access. Be prepared for the first infusion to take a little longer than the others. The first infusion is the time where the infusion staff helps educate you on their procedures and for you to ask questions.

I don't know how much you have read on this thread but if you have questions, please ask. You are traveling in chemoland where others have been before and ready to give you support.

• LEIGH57
    LEIGH57 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi- I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node excision on Dec. 7th. Removal of ILC w/associated lobular carcinoma in situ, tumor in left breast, 3.1cm... and small satellite tumor, Invasive Tubular carcinoma, 0.3cm. My node pathology came back clear. Just met my oncologist who is recommending 4 rounds of Cytoxan & Taxotere before radiation and hormone therapy. She is recommending chemo "based on size of tumor and mixed diagnosis." I asked about getting the oncotype test before making a decision. From my reading here, I had assumed that the oncologist would have already ordered the test and I was surprised to have to bring it up myself. She was fine to order it and said that it could give me clarity to my decision either way. (So, why hadn't she ordered it?) From my reading, I see studies that show that chemo is not that effective for ILC. I also see in the forums, a great variety of treatment for ILC for tumors of the size, grade, and hormone receptor status. I am worried that the oncotype scoring is based more on IDC benchmarks and wonder if that is why she hadn't ordered it previously. (I will ask when I see her again)- I have quite a list of questions at this point. I'm also worried that if I use the oncotype to make my decision, what do I do if the number falls in a gray area somewhere between low and high? Also, why have some had mastectomies vs. lumpectomies with the same diagnosis as mine but with smaller tumors? The protocols seem to be all over the place and so confusing. And lastly, where and how does age fit in as to deciding treatment options? Is age all about pre-menopausal or post- menopausal or ? Thanks so much!

• Melrosemelrose
    edited January 2018
    Options

LEIGH57- Welcome.... If you are unsure about your oncologist, you may want to get a second opinion with a different oncologist. It isn't unusual to get a second opinion so that you feel okay about your treatment plan. Do your best to stay away from Dr. Google since Dr. Google information can be out of date, incorrect and not applicable to your particular situation. Also try to bear in mind that the particulars of each person's medical situation is unique to them and not all of one's personal medical information may be posted in the forums you have read. I hope you get answers to your questions soon to ease your mind. Keep us posted.

• princessbuttercup
    princessbuttercup Member Posts: 159
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi all, Buttercup here. Is anyone else having multiple side effects from TC/Neulasta, in spite of doing all of the suggested pre-meds and counter-measures? It's hard for me to tell what side effect is from what drug, but I felt like I was overwhelmed in every way after my first dose. I think I will not be one of those lucky people who sails through chemo.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited January 2018
    Options

PrincessButtercup- Glad you got through the first round of chemo. The first round can be overwhelming and even more overwhelming once you get home and feel its effects. I remember what I had read before my first round and had an idea of what the effects could be. I did not have a Neulasta shot until after my third round of chemo since my blood counts were okay. After the third round, I developed the chills and high fever which meant Neulasta was to be administered as per my oncologist. Even after that first round, I wasn't sure about the source of how I was feeling.... in short, I just didn't know what chemo side effects would happen to me. I did call the oncologist's assistant to chat about how I was feeling just I would feel that what I was feeling was within the realm of normal side effects.

Hang in there. Do your best to stay hydrated, keep moving, eat well and rest. You will get through chemoland and reflect later on how incredible it was that you were able to get through this wild adventure. Sending you peace and calm and minimal side effects the rest of the way.

• princessbuttercup
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thank you, Melrosemelrose.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited January 2018
    Options

PrincessButttercup - Keep us posted with your progress. If you have specific questions about the side effects you are feeling, do not hesitate to post here to get some suggestions. Hugs.....

• kechla
    edited February 2018
    Options

buttercup, I found that Claritin did wonders for alleviating the bone pain from Neulasta. I did not take it with my first treatment, but did on the rest and it was so much better

• MamaFelice
    edited February 2018
    Options

Buttercup-- I just finished TC #6 yesterday, and though I wished I could stop at 4, my extensive nodal involvement needed 6 and I pushed through. I never took Neulasta so I cannot comment on those SEs. My symptoms mainly included eye twitches and some blurry vision, fatigue, gurgling tummy (no C or D ), headaches when my RBCs dropped, and some shortness of breath with treatments 5&6.

Best of luck with managing the side effects. Use your nurses and navigators to discuss your symptoms. Oh, and I did ice my fingers, toes and mouth during Taxotere to avoid neuropathy and so far so good. Hang in there-- it will be done before you know it! ☺️🦋💪🏼

• princessbuttercup
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thank you, all. Doing better in the past several days after spending last weekend in the hospital with a fever. Today I woke up with handfuls of hair coming out. Think I will have to deal with this and get the buzz cut in a few days. Many thanks for the advice and cheerleading!

I think it would be a little easier if my co-workers didn't appear to be making plans for my immediate demise! I reminded them that I'm not dead yet. ;)

• kechla
    edited February 2018
    Options

Princess. I am over a year out from my last treatment and it is already becoming a distant memory. During my treatments I did cold caps, iced my fingers and toes (frozen peas) and put ice chips or popsicles in my mouth. Not sure if it works but I did not experience any neuropathy and did not lose any nails. Also, I drank LOTS of water especially during and after treatments. Swished mouth regularly with salt & baking soda water. Another tip is that I did not open doors in public if I could avoid it.

Best of luck with the rest of your treatments

• princessbuttercup
    edited February 2018
    Options

No more taxotere for me, apparently. I got through the cytoxan, but a few minutes into the taxotere IV, I blacked out and was unresponsive, ending up in the ED. Will have to see what's next for chemo round 3.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited February 2018
    Options

PrincessButtercup- Glad you are okay. Hope you are able to get some good rest and able to recover before your next appointment with your oncologist and chemo round 3. Keep us posted.

• princessbuttercup
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks, Melrosemelrose- Home now and resting well. There are still lots of options ahead so will see where we go from here. You are right, this is recovery time for a few weeks.

• princessbuttercup
    edited February 2018
    Options

Question for the group- Has anyone had symptoms of fullness in your ears, or a muffled feeling, after TC?

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2018
    Options

PrincessButtercup: I don't have a muffled sound but every now and then I wonder who's jack hammering in my ears! I'm over 4 months past my last chemo and still have side effects not as bad and slowly going away.

• princessbuttercup
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks, Pink. Good to know that it gets better. And congrats on being done with your last chemo!

• kechla
    edited February 2018
    Options

I had this. My MO nurse prescribed Claritin. It seemed to help

• princessbuttercup
    edited February 2018
    Options

Just started Zyrtec, but if that doesn't work, I will try Claritin. Thanks!

• FaithWalker22
    FaithWalker22 Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hey there ladies! I just started this regimen yesterday. At my center I don't think Neulasta is an option-- you leave with the patch or make arrangements to do the shot at home or back at the center. I'm hoping the Claritin helps. I'm also going to do the baking soda, salt rinse after each meal.

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Wildcolonialgirl Member Posts: 119
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hello ladies - just joining this.  Will be starting CT on March 1st 2018, really appreciate all the insight and good advice!