Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo Ladies- February/March 2013

Options
1154155156157158160»

Comments

• laurieellenb
    laurieellenb Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2019
    Options

@MinusTwo Oops! You're right. It was plain Claritin - not Claritin D.

• tultha
    tultha Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2019
    Options

Getting ready for round 2; for those of you already past that, and if you got Thrush; did you get it every time? That ranked right up there with joint pain for me.

• Fairydragonfly
    Fairydragonfly Member Posts: 132
    edited July 2019
    Options

Tultha - I don't know if it made a difference, but I sucked on ice chips during the infusion and rinsed my mouth with salt/baking soda water. I never got thrush on my first infusion.

• debrac
    debrac Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2019
    Options

Tultha, I got something like Thrush all four times of receiving TC. It made me feel the worst of everything. It hit me around day 3 or 4. My tongue turned white. I found what helped me was, every morning I made a glass of warm water and 1/2 tsp each of baking soda and salt. I set it by the sink in the kitchen and bathroom. Every time I was the sink, I would rinse my mouth. A friend got it every time too, I think she got antibiotics for it. I didn’t, just rinsed and it eventually passed. But I hated it every time. It does pass, but it’s the pits.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,086
    edited July 2019
    Options

Ask your doc for the "magic mouthwash". It's a compound mixture that really works. Mine didn't have an antibiotic & I'm pretty sure not a steroid either. All docs have their own formula, but link from Mayo Clinic below.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chemotherapy/expert-answers/magic-mouthwash/faq-20058071

• tultha
    edited July 2019
    Options

I got a liquid that was yellow and tasted vaguely of bananas to rinse with four times daily. It worked; I was just hoping that would be a one-time side effect. Bummer. But, thanks for the heads up.

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited July 2019
    Options

Anxious: Everyone's hair regrowth seems to be different. Hang in there it will come back. It took over a year PFC for me to see any real hair regrowth. I'll be two years PFC and I now have something to cut every five weeks.

• SJWhitten
    SJWhitten Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2019
    Options

Tultha - My mouth side effects (thrush, mouth sores) were the worst for TC #1 and #2. #3 was a little better, and #4 was the easiest of all from that perspective - just some vague soreness. I did the salt water rinse often for the first three. Magic mouthwash for the first two. For #3 and #4, I drank a smoothie during my taxotere; I don't know if that made a difference or was just coincidental. Maybe yours won't be as bad after subsequent treatments.

• Bumming19
    Bumming19 Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2019
    Options

Did anyone get hives during their treatment? I got along reasonably well after #1 and #2 tc treatments, but after #3, I received a Neulasta shot. A week later I broke out in hives and it’s lasted 6 days and I’m miserable. I took Claritin before and after and now I’m on prednisone, Claritin, benedryl, atarex, 2 topicals, but it’s not improving. I even had an overnighter at the hospital. My final tc is on the 25th and I’m so afraid of having the hives worse, if that’s possible. My daughter is getting married on August 10th and I don’t want to be this uncomfortable. Anyone else get hives from the Neulasta? Or is it the taxotere? Mo not much help at this point. Looking for relief! 3 down, 1 to go-I want this over!!

• tultha
    edited July 2019
    Options

I don't know if this would apply or not, but here goes. When my doctor said I had thrush in my mouth and throat, I also had a horrible itchy red raised rash on my neck. Big raised bumps...of course, thrush is a fungal infection, so I figured that had something to do with the neck inflammation also. I used a Lamasil cream on my neck, which relieved the itching and also dried up the rash. I've had skin itching here and there since, but no accompanying rash and just used benedryl cream on that, which helped.

I'd also like to point out something about hair loss. I waited until after my hair started falling out badly before I had my head shaved (yesterday). When I washed my hair before having it shaved, I wound up with a mess of matted, tangled, knotted hair that took 15 minutes of very painful work to brush out. Bear in mind, my hair was quite short, but too much of it was falling out. I was almost hysterical; not because so much of it came out, but because I didn't think I would ever get the matts and knots out. I am so much happier with it shaved!

• Kareen1
    Kareen1 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2019
    Options

I really should have addressed this long time ago but forget everyone I see my doctor, magic mouthwash I pray you can heal this taste of bitterness and copper in my mouth

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited July 2019
    Options

I got thrush after every TC! I got a prescription for nystatin, swish and swallow, and it worked and cleared it up each time.

• tennisgirl1
    tennisgirl1 Member Posts: 30
    edited July 2019
    Options

Good Morning Strong, Brave Women, I’m getting ready for my third infusion this Thursday, day after tomorrow. With the last two infusions the week before my infusion was the best, most energetic week in this whole process. I started that week by walking 3 miles Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, feeling great. Then I totally tanked and have unable to do anything since then. My bones ache, nausea has come back, sleep is hard. It’s so unexpected. Anyone else have this experience at this point? It’s disheartening. (Going for labs and MO appointment tomorrow.

On another note, my rash on my head and crown area has come and gone. Just like clockwork. This chemo process is so strange and dynamic. I still get startled by my bald head sometimes when I glance in a mirror as I pass by. Also, I want to say there’s great comfort knowing I have support from this wonderful community of women who are going through what I am, each in our own way. I truly appreciate you all.

Stay strong, as will I. ❤️

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197
    edited July 2019
    Options

Minus two...as for checking blood work 24 hours after chemo...I remember having to go back a day after infusions to get the neulesta shot to boost white blood cells...was that your regimen? I don't remember if they did blood test but I assume so...I was also told to take Claritin to reduce the bone pain from neulesta shot...it helps and 5 years later, I still take Claritin to help with SE of bone pain from anastrozole! Best to all! Rosie

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197
    edited July 2019
    Options

Tennisgirl1...hope your infusion went well and you are not too worn out. I remember my 3rd round was harder on me than first two...I guess it accumulated...on usually the 3 Rd day after chemo, I would feel wiped out, stayed ahead of nausea with the meds and tried to stay hydrated. I also had a fever that I monitored , after my 3 Rd round, as it is important to know when to go to ER from fever when on chemo. I had six infusions, every three weeks between February and June 2014...just know this too shall pass..."weeping may remain for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning" psalm??...Best to you! Rosie

• SJWhitten
    edited July 2019
    Options

Good morning all! I've been keeping up with all of you but not posting much. Between daily treatments and work, I feel like I'm struggling to keep up with the rest of life :( I have a muscle question for you all. I had four rounds of TC, ending about a month ago. After the first two, I had the usual side effects, including fatigue. But I kept pushing to get my daily walk in. But now that I've completed all four, I feel like my quads and glutes have lost all of their strength. After my second treatment, i climbed 200+ steps in a lighthouse with my daughter. Today I can feel it in my muscles when I climb the stairs in my house. It's so weird - like they just got zapped of all strength. I'm still walking, and once I get through radiation (11 more treatments), I'm going to get more focused on strength training. But it's just so odd to me that I lost so much strength in the last two treatments.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,086
    edited July 2019
    Options

SJW - I had TCHP. After 4 rounds I was standing waiting for an elevator and my legs just collapsed. I wasn't hurt, they just sort of folded with no strength to hold me up. Needless to say I started carrying a walking stick for awhile.

• Ella1
    Ella1 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2019
    Options

soooo, I am now 7 years out from the great adventure..at that time I stopped having periods due to the chemo... A couple years ago one started and lasted two weeks. I did all the typical gym and oncology medical follow up..biopsy, ultrasound etc. no issues.

Now it’s started again.

Anyone else have this experience...seems a mystery to my providers...I already know I am a zebra in a herd of horses but thought I would ask ...th

• boston12
    boston12 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2019
    Options

I had very few side effects from the first three TC treatments, but had bad myalgia in my leg muscles after the fourth. It hurt to walk and stairs were awful. But it went away within 4-6 weeks I think. I do know that it was gone by the summer and my chemo ended 4/30.

• SJWhitten
    edited August 2019
    Options

I had to look up 'myalgia'. My muscles definitely burn when I use them, but it's more the lack of strength that bothers me. I used to have to do something to feel the burn. Now a flight of steps does it :( I just saw info about a program at the YMCA called LiveStrong. It's a 12 week, free program for adult cancer survivors to rebuild. They have a class starting near me in September; I'm going to see if I can get in that! I think it will help. Good luck to all!

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited August 2019
    Options

SJW: yes I had a similar experience. After the first six months I wasn't quite as sore anymore. Just keep at it. YMCA is a good program. It's taken almost two years to regain 90% of my strength back.

• SJWhitten
    edited August 2019
    Options

Pink,

Thank you for your response. I'm glad to hear that you think the Y program is good. Wow! 2 years? I'm determined! I've been walking ~30 minutes a day all through treatments. This weekend we upped it to an hour for both Sat and Sun, and I'm feeling it today in my legs. I just keep at it! Thank you for the encouragement.

• Fairydragonfly
    Fairydragonfly Member Posts: 132
    edited August 2019
    Options

Question : I seem to have developed a small rash about 6 days post TC right around where the IV was in my arm. I'm currently taking antibiotics (oral and topical) for a separate rash in my bellybutton. While the rash in my bellybutton has improved, the one on my arm has not. It is red and ITCHY. Has anyone else experienced a rash near their IV site following TC chemotherapy?

• SJWhitten
    edited August 2019
    Options

Fairydragon,

I had a rash on my legs, but not one near my IV site. Sorry I can't be more help.

• summersday
    summersday Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi Fairydragon - this post is probably a bit late now but I've just started on Taxotere and have developed a small itchy red rash on the underside of my bicep. The taxtane family of drugs are known to cause rashes so unless you have any other symptoms such as a high temperature or swelling or if the rash is blistered, it's probably just another side effect of the chemo and you can manage it with anti-histamines,both oral and topical. Well, that's what the chemo nurse said anyway! I've had mine for a few days now and it's not spread, nor is it really itchy any more so I don't worry about it.

If it's not one thing, it's another eh?