Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo Ladies- February/March 2013

Options

Comments

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited March 2013
    Options

Well Fellow Warrior Sisters, I had my Chemo #2 T/C treatment today at Texas Oncology Associates in Flower Mound and all is well at this late hour.  My MO, Dr. Nguyen is a wizard!  He gave me a  sample of something called Caphosal that is a supersaturated calcium phosphate rinse designed to prevent the oral and esophageal mucositis and dry mouth that hit me 4 days after my first T/C treatment.  I will begin using it tomorrow after the dreaded Nuelasta shot in the morning.  If it works, he aslo gave me a prescription. Thank goodness for my beautiful Sister Toni who is a nurse and understands this stuff so much better that I do and ALWAYS accompanies me to these appointments.

To all of you who are seeing your doctors soon or have in the last few days, Peace, Luv and Blessings!  Thank you all for being so wonderful and sharing all of the good and the bad news on this thread.  It is a tremendous support system and one that I could not live without daily.  Until next time, Ciao Bellas!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited March 2013
    Options

I had scalp pain only for the 2 week period that my hair was actually falling out; it did not continue past this and I hope the same for all of you. Half way thru TC I did start to get white bumps on my scalp that I thought were acne at first but then noticed that they were my hair follicles "bulbs" if you will, falling out.  soon thereafter my hair began to slowly, very slowly grow back.

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited March 2013
    Options

I had some clogged hair follicles after the hair started falling out.  I used some Neutrogena TGel shampoo to help clear the bumps and also used a prescription antibotic gel on some of the areas to help prevent infection.  All of that cleared up within a week.  I also continued to wash my head with Aveeno Baby Conditioning Shampoo to help keep my scalp clean. 

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited March 2013
    Options

How's everybody doing? It's been quiet on here for a few days. I'm feeling pretty good and enjoying it while I can, since my second treatment is coming up on Thursday.

• TMM60
    TMM60 Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2013
    Options

All good here. Enjoying my "well week" before hitting the chemo bar again on Friday. Had some fun shopping on Saturday and a nice family get together this afternoon. The calm before the next round. Hope everyone else is having a peaceful weekend!

• Lolalou
    Lolalou Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013
    Options

I'm 3 days out from chemo and 2 from my neulasta shot. I felt good until today. I've been taking Claritin every day since the day before chemo and I have had bad aches/pains in my legs all day. I took 2 extra strength Tylenol but no relief yet.

The good news... No nasea. I've been relaxing and just trying to ignore the sore legs.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Lolalou, did your MO tell you not to take Ibuprofen? Of course you'll want to follow your own doc's advice. Mine told me to take Ibuprofen around the clock if I needed to. After the first week out from my first treatment I started feeling progressively better. I think getting out and walking everyday has helped me too, even when I think I don't feel like it.

• Starynights
    Starynights Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2013
    Options

GailAnn... I have had only a tiny bit of a sensitive scalp ! Yep Im blessed and this is one side effect I havent had. Buzzed hair all the way down tonight. Boy when it started going on Day 14 it really went fast !

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

GailAnn your rocking that hat !!!! I also go for my second treatment this week. Hope all goes as well as the first one did minus that bone pain from the Neulasta ! Hope I dont have to have it this time, been getting A ++ on my labs so here is hoping !

• TMM60
    edited March 2013
    Options

You look great, GailAnn!

• Sickofpink
    Sickofpink Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2013
    Options

Starynights, try Claritin for day of and three days after for Neulasta bone pain. Works great! The 24 hour kind.

• Lmimp64
    Lmimp64 Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi all. Gail Ann - you do look great. :)

My third time is tomorrow. Not excited as the tooth/jaw/gum throbbing I have had since day five tapered for a couple of days and came back full blast. It's bad enough to make sleep very hard even with ambien. I've researched and lots of folks get teeth issues during chemo. I had thought it was the neulasta, but I guess not. My teeth are in good shape except for pre-existing mild tmj and slightly receding gums on a couple of teeth. I had a dentist visit and X-rays in December. All ok.

I guess we keep moving through this. I want to get through!

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

Sick of Pink....I took the blasted stuff for 5 days...Dont know what it would have been like if I hadnt.

Angie

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thanks everyone! Funny, I hated all the pink breast cancer stuff when I was diagnosed, but once the hair started going, I wanted to do anything I could to try to add some femininity to my look.

Lmimp64 I also had quite a bit of tooth and jaw pain for about the first ten days after my first treatment, but it wasn't constant and probably not as bad as what you describe.

Carolyn, we haven't heard from you in awhile. I'm wondering how you're doing since that second treatment and Neulasta shot.

• Milo5
    Milo5 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi all, weird week last week with the scalp pain and hair falling out.   Cut my hair short myself and then had it buzzed yesterday by my friend.   Scalp pain is gone, as is "most' of the hair.   Wore my wig to a dinner party last night (all "family") after a 7 mile long hike.    Feel great.   Hanging out a home tonight with just a scarf, and feel pretty used to it.  

Moroccan Oil Treatment helped a lot, as well as the buzz for scalp pain.  

Chemo #2 at 9am tomorrow morning.... Im ready with my chemo "kit" of almonds, water, candy, Downton Abby season #, my hubby and friends coming and going.... then im 1/2 way there... :0

Yeah!

• TMM60
    edited March 2013
    Options

Great Chemo kit, Milo5! I love Downton Abbey too!

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Wow, Milo5, a 7 mile hike?! You're inspiring! Hope all goes well for you today.

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited March 2013
    Options

Fellow Warriors - this is the toughest week I have ever had after Chemo #2.  I have barely been able to log on to my computer, let alone comment or be a part of this wonderful commuity.  I continue to positive and pray for us all.  If you are celebrating Passover - Enjoy!  Those awaiting Easter, I hope the biggest chocolate Bunny ever shows up in your basket!  I hope you all are safe and well with Peace, Love and Blessings.

• melody46
    melody46 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2013
    Options

cmbernardi I had my 2nd on the 13th and it really has kicked my butt.  I am really tired and just getting a couple of things done a day is a huge accomplishment.  I also have muscle weakness and joint pain but had the neulasta for the first time after last treatment.   On the bright side I didn't have alot of the SE I had last time. I get frustrated because I have no get up and go but then I realize I just have to be patient this too will pass. If your like me having 4 treatments we are half way there!

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Carolyn & Melody46, so sorry to hear you've both had such a hard time with the 2nd treatment. Melody, remembering that you're halfway through is a great way to think positively. I will be praying for you both. I have my 2nd treatment this Thursday, but I'm supposed to have 6 total.

• LW122713
    LW122713 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013
    Options

I go for round 3 next week. I will be 1/2 way though at that point. I can't wait to feel that excitement, that I'm on the downhill slide. I am soo ready to be through it as I know all of us are. I think the span between the first and 2nd treatments were the hardest for me. It was all new, had no idea what to expect and then to top it all off, the hair started falling out. I feel like just being able to get though all that was amazing. I felt empowered the last couple of weeks at how difficult it was but still made it through to the other side. Am I ok with it all now? NO still mad that I got stuck with cancer and am even having to do chemo followed by 33 rounds of radiation and 10 yrs of estrogen therapy and that I look like I'm sick unless I cover my head. I'm still pissed at all of that but at this point, I look at this as a challenge now and I am ready to take it on, and I'm going to win!

We are all strong! Hope everyone feels better and has very minimal SE's!

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

CMBERNARDI ..... Im so sorry your having a bad time. I have my second on Friday and Ill be going alone. My chemo partner, my daughter has two very sick children at home and cant stay with me. That alone makes me very anxious. She will be taking me and picking me up though. I pray you feel better soon and hope this doesnt kick my butt !!!!

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

Such a weird thing going on. Had first infusion on 3/8 had some SE but after 9 days I was good to go and have felt great... Yesterday I started getting what I call "chemo stomach". That queasy, icky feeling, smells bothering me again. Cant think of anything Ive eaten that would have caused it. Has anyone else had this? Or is this my nerves about upcoming treatment on Friday?

• Milo5
    edited March 2013
    Options

Gosh, sometimes I think I post something and then it doesnt show up.

Starrynights.  I too had the same reaction.  1st infusion was 3/5, had some minimal SEs then fine for last two weeks, this week was my "week three" or week off before my 2nd infusion and I also had queasy stomach and yucky mouth again.    

Infusion #2 went well yesterday with the exception at the end of the bag of Cytoxan I had some coughing and throat tightening so they stopped and gave me a bag of Benedryl, then started the Taxotere and all was fine.   Feeling great today, even had a glass of wine with a friend last night.   Heading to neulasta shot soon but thanks to you all have taken my Claritin, the meeting a friend for lunch and then my son's baseball game (the Dex is working well, cant you tell)  Expect to feel pretty wiped this weekend so made no dance party plans.

Hope you all have a great week!

• melody46
    melody46 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2013
    Options

Starynights I haven't had the queasy feeling but something I do have after the 2nd round on the 13th is weird pains in my stomach.  They said this was going to be hard on the gi system but this is so strange and I have that ungodly smell/taste in my mouth. Good luck on Friday wishing you minimal SE. I too have someone go with me to every treatment I am lucky to have my step dad who was previously an onco nurse. I hope the nurses are kind where you go and if your too anxious request some ativan they are happy to give it and I get it everytime.   On a differant note the last two treatments I've had a reaction to taxotere hard to breathe, turn beet red and heart flutters; not comfy.  They come running in with benadryl and more steroids and slow the drip down.  This time around he's got me taking 5 tablets of dex at 12 hours prior and again 6 hours prior to treatment. So 40 mg prior to treatment if that doesn't make me feel like speedy gonzales I dont know what would. I think this sounds a little harsh.

• Milo5
    edited March 2013
    Options

Holy Cow, 5 tablets of Dex would put me through the roof.   Good luck with that. Yikes!

• Milo5
    edited March 2013
    Options

My new "do"  I got a halo wig (along with a full wig) that is cute and sassy and lots of fun hats.   I have NEVER been a hat wearer so this little adventure takes on a life of its own right now.   My husband loves the "sporty" look and the Halo wig (which is only a 1/2 wig) is so easy and comfortable and I just literally get out of the 5 minute shower, throw it on with a hat an go.   LOVE IT!  <3

• TMM60
    edited March 2013
    Options

Saw a different doc at my pre-chemo visit today. She suggested I take a B-Complex vitamin for the PN. For the past 2 rounds, I've gotten tingling fingers and toes and around my mouth for all of week 2, then it goes away. My usual MO was kind of unimpressed about taking B vitamins, but the one I saw today is of the opinion that although there is no research to demonstrate its effectiveness, it can't hurt. So, I started it today. Will let you all know if the PN is better this round. I'm off to the chemo bar on Friday for round 3. I fully expect to be even more fatigued this time since that is cumulative. What other wonders await? I hope no new SEs. From what I've read on all the boards, everyone gets it figured out just in time for it to be over Wink

• TMM60
    edited March 2013
    Options

Milo, I meant to ask- are you wearing the halo wig with a hat in your avatar pic? It's totally cute whether that's your real hair or halo!

• raehyg
    raehyg Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi I started chemo on March 18....I am doing 4 cycles of ac and then taxol for 4 cycles. I think the plan is see what happens then surgery maybe more chemo if necessary and then radiation.

The magic mouthwash has different concoctions.....I had them make it with 1 part benadryl (diphenhydramine, 1 part viscous lidocaine, 1 part maalox and 1 part nystatin) I think it helped. Also the nutrasol seems to help as well. Also inbetween biotene.

Rachel