Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo Ladies- February/March 2013

Options

Comments

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited March 2013
    Options

@Milo5

So sorry for you.  I had quite a nice pity party for myself yesterday also.

All of my hair fell out yesterday.  I just cried and cried while handfuls of it washed down the drain in the shower.  And wow does my head hurts like crazy even with the oil my beautician gave me to try for that purpose!  Chemo #2 on Wednesday and the dreaded Nuelasta shot the next day.  Cannot WAIT to see what comes next.  And why didn't the stupid hair on my legs or bikini line fall out too?  Will it?

I also got 2 wigs that I kinda like but did buy some hats, scarves and berets too.  I hope your day at the beach is wonderful.  We all know the hair will grow back but it is still shocking when it happens.

Peace, love and blessings,

• LW122713
    LW122713 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013
    Options

Yes, we all know it's probably going to happen but there's always that hope that it won't until it does and it can be traumatizing. It was for me, I spent several days this past week mourning the loss of it as it all fell out. I'm sorry for those of you who are just experiencing it. The scalp pain certainly doesn't help either!

I had my 2nd tx Thursday and Neulasta shot yesterday. So far so good. Just a little tired already. The steroids didnt seem as effective this time, slept like a log last night.

• Lolalou
    Lolalou Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013
    Options

Just a quick update. I liked the MO I met for 2nd opinion and have switched. She was very thorough and recommends the 4 TC TX so I will keep same regimen and start next Thursday. She was shocked by last MO and what he did.

After my appointment I went wig shopping. I loved the 2 nd one I tried on so much I wanted to come home and shave my head and start wearing it. Haha I didn't though. I've really tried to be so positive through all of this and I'm finding at times that it's harder on the people around me. My DH is very worried about watching me get sick. I keep telling him he's imagining much worse than I've read about here. I'm just ready to get going and put this behind me.

• Starynights
    Starynights Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2013
    Options

Milo Ive been having one of those too !!!! Tired of feeling like I have the flu. Thank goodness most of the bone pain is gone now. Hair going bye bye end of the week Im sure.

• melody46
    melody46 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2013
    Options

I had my first neulasta shot on Thursday and I feel so stiff and sore like the flu.  I was hoping I wouldn't get it but yes I did.  Does anyone know how long this tiredness and aching lasts? At least this time around I'm sleeping great!

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

Melody I got mine Monday and thought I was going to die Monday night. Tuesday and Wednesday it lessened and was manageable. Thursday I had sternum and pelvic pain only, I did have to take an oxycodone cause I got so ticked off with dealing with it. Friday and today I can hardly tell its here. Now to get rid of the Chemo fatigue and Ill be good to go ! I did use the Claritin and cant imagine what it would have been like without it. The nurse did tell me that everyone is very different with it.

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited March 2013
    Options

So relieved to have made it through a six day work week, but exhausted too. So far I've been able to go out for a walk with my hubby and dogs every day since my first infusion. We're having beautiful weather right now. Staying home from church this moring, since I figure I'm pretty vulnerable to infection now and when I go all my friends want to hug me, which would normally be wonderful. Looking forward to a quiet restful day.

Lolalou, it sounds like things are looking up for you. I know what you mean about the people around you having a harder time on your behalf than you are having yourself. I find that's especially true of my youngest daughter who lives in Iowa and is emotional anyway because she's pregnant. I keep telling her to concentrate on taking care of herself and that baby, because I'm looking forward to coming up to welcome my sixth grandbaby next fall when all this is hopefully behind me.

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

Day 10 after infusion - Woke up feeling great today. Went out to breakfast probably ate to much as I had to run back home and make a quick stop to the toilet. Should have took an Imodium :( Bone pain is all gone 7 days since Neulasta. Hair is cut very short and spikey but have noticed a very few little strands letting go. Put on a cute Newsboy hat, zebra scarf and hoop earrings and went to the grocery store. I WAS NOT PREPARED for the pity smiles, people jumping out of my way, excuse me, can I get that for you, need some help out with that? This really upset me was almost in tears by the time I got back to the car. I really dont like to call attention to myself. I have tons of cute caps and scarfs but think Im going to have to get a wig. Why am I such a whiner? Someone shut me up ! I hate this Dumb Stupid Breast Cancer !

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Oh Starynights, I haven't encountered that yet and don't think I would handle it very well either! I'm on day 11 and so far I guess I haven't gone out in public among strangers. And the hair cut you see in the avatar pic here is still holding up, but I expect to crop it super short and start wearing my hats sometime this coming week. I hadn't even thought about the pity from strangers aspect of all this.

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited March 2013
    Options

Starynights-I'm sure you found the receiving attention from others rather surprising and unexpected.  When I was having chemo, I know that my physical appearance ( minimal head hair) startled others.  However, I always graciously accepted help if I needed it whenever the help was offered to me at the grocery store or wherever.  I didn't view anyone's help as pity but rather unexpected acts of kindness and consideration that I believe that one person is showing to another.  You may find that you see some strangers have a startled look on their faces because they see the possibility of them being in that position and are scared.  That's to be expected.  Just remember that you are still beautiful no matter what.  Hold that head up high and keep on living your life and doing the things you have always done.  Don't hide at home; exude that self confidence that you have always had!!!!

Wishing everyone an easy time with chemo rounds this week and minimal side effects.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Wise and gracious words, Melrose, and good advice as always!

• cmbernardi
    edited March 2013
    Options

@ Starynights,

Sorry about your upsetting experience.  Most of my hair fell out on Friday and it was quite a shock.  Today however, I am resigned to the fact that it will grow back, did get 2 wigs plus some pretty hats, scarves and berets.  I'm heading into T/C infusion number 2 this Wednesday and the dreaded Nuelasta shot the following day.  Tell you what, I will send positive thoughts and prayers your way if you will do the same for me.  And I, like you will hold my newly bald head up high and be the Warrior that all of us have become.  Have a super great week all.

Peace! 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited March 2013
    Options

I wish you all the best.  I did TCx4 last May through July.  I also want to let you knwo that you will not necessarily feel anything from the neulasta.  While the TC was terrible after the third infusion, I never felt anything from the neulast except the pinch in my shoulder.  I did have terrible swelling of the legs and torso/breast due to the chemo and would recommend something that I did not do regularly: walk and exercise a lot, juice rather than eat and drink massive amounts of water.  When I did these things I felt much better.

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

Oh dear what a whiney butt I sounded like. I feel much better today. Well mostly...Made mention tonight that "I sure hope I have not passed anykind of bad genes on to my granddaughter" (too many St Jude Commercials) my daughter says....get ready for this. Its ok Momma, Im sure yours is the old lady kind of breast cancer. If she hadnt just done my dishes and folded my laundry Id have hit her !

• jen987
    jen987 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013
    Options

I start chemo on April 1st. I will be getting my port in on March 25th. Met with my oncologist yesterday to discuss treatment and left feeling so uninformed. She spent only about 6 minutes with me. Seriously WTH. Basically said because of my Oncotype DX score of 28 and grade 3 tumor I will be receiving 4 rounds of chemo (CT), which I already knew and my side effects could be thinning hair and tingling in my hands. I have been surfing the boards here and know darn well I could have more side effects than that. She said a nurse will call me to let me know exactly which medication I will be getting after they get approval from insurance company. I sure hope the nurse will answer more questions for me.

• jen987
    jen987 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013
    Options

Just figured out how to get my diagnosis and treatments to display. Let's try this again.

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2013
    Options

Jen987- Once you are sure that you are having C/T regimen and if you want to know about the side effects that may come your way, please post your questions here or private message me.  I'm more than happy to post any info and/or links to additional information on this chemo regimen I can provide you to ease your mind a little.  I had 6 rounds of this chemo regimen and had minimal side effects.   I did the icing of the nails (toes & fingers) but did not do the cold caps for the head hair.  Yes, I did lose most of my hair and it has grown back into a short boy/pixie hair cut.   I do know how you feel about feeling like you didn't get enough information. 

• LW122713
    edited March 2013
    Options

Jen987:

My first MO said there was a 50/50 chance I would lose my hair. My second MO which I decided to stay with said you WILL lose your hair. Same regimen, both were going with CT. You definately want someone who will give you the time of day, this isn't an easy decision.

By the way, my first MO's partner in the practice tried to blow me off too and acted as if my questions were wasting his time. In fact he so much as told me he didn't have time for my questions and I would have to make another appt. I was hurt and furious. I called him an arrogant SOB in front of his entire nursing staff and patients and also wrote a letter to the BOD.

I went for a 2nd opinion. It doesn't hurt to shop around for an MO you will be comfortable with. The relationship lasts a long time. No one wants to be made to feel like a # when you are in this situation. Best of luck to you, and hope you can find peace of mind.

• Milo5
    Milo5 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2013
    Options

Not sure why the long post I wrote didnt go through..... but the jist of it was...... the scalp pain is killing me... anyone have any suggestions.   I am waiting till Thursday to get a 1/4" buzz because Im driving my 18 year old son's varsity baseball team tomorrow to a game..... I think Im afraid of embarassing him.....

My message was to Jen987....... everyone has different reactions to the TC chemo.   But this blog is the BEST for all insight of what you MIGHT experience, so to be ready, and expect the worst and hope for the best..... mine has been WAY better than I expected.  

If it WASNT for this blog, I would never have know about the possible (and very real) SE of the scalp pain when it is time for the hair to go..... I would have been really scared.   I LOVE my MO, but no one told me (except by "family" here on this blog) to be ready for the SE's of the hair going.

Love you guys!!  : You definitely have made this journey easier for me.

• LW122713
    edited March 2013
    Options

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for the scalp pain. It is uncomfortable and aggravating. It does ease up though. Mine is still tender but not as bad as it was before most of my hair was gone. The only relief I found was in the shower, I would let the hot water pound the top of my head and for awhile, a brief while, it would ease up.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

A big amen to that Milo5. When I was first diagnosed and thought I was facing surgery followed by radiation and hormone therapy, it was enough to have several friends who'd already been through all that. Once I knew I'd be doing chemo and what drugs would be used, this thread has been a lifeline and I'm go grateful to you, Melrose, for starting it for us and sharing your experience.

Jen987, I strongly agree with what everyone else has said about shopping around for an oncologist if there's any way you can, or at least getting a second opinion. My sugeon recommended my oncologist and I went in with loads of questions and an attitude that I wasn't going to do chemo just because he said I should. I also called my insurance company in advance to ask if they would pay for a second opinion and I had determined that I would seek one if I felt the need to. As it turned out my oncologist took lots of time with me, answered all my questions very thoroughly, and has generally treated me with a lot of respect, so I didn't feel the need to consult anyone else. A breast cancer survivor girlfriend of mine told me from the beginning and kept reminding me not to rush into anything and to take my time making each decision.

Starynights, LOL, if one of my daughters said that I'd have been tempted to slap her too! But I also hope and pray that none of my daughters or granddaughters ever has to go through this. I'm trying to be very open with them all about my experience, in case they ever do though.

Milo5, you sound like a trooper. My kids are all grown up and I think it would be so much harder to have gone through this when they were busy highschoolers. If anyone comes up something to help with the scalp pain, let us know!

• cmbernardi
    edited March 2013
    Options

@Milo5 & Everyone:

My beautician who is a 4 year BC survivor gave me a sample of an oil that really works to take away the scalp pain.  It is called Moroccanoil Treatment.  Check it out at www.moroccanoil.com 

The bottle also lists the following telephone number: 1-888-700-1817

The product is made in Israel but distributed by Moroccanoil Inc, 16311 Ventura Blvd. Suite 1200, Los Angeles, CA.91436

And @ Jen987 - I am a newbie also who will be going for my second T/C infusion tomorrow and the Nuelasta shot the day after.  My MO is wonderful and so are all of the fellow Warriors on this site. So ask away ANYTIME you have questions.

Good night All and Peace!

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Wow, since I posted a little while ago, the hair started coming out, fast! I am going to bed now sporting a crew cut.

• cmbernardi
    edited March 2013
    Options

GailAnn and Everyone,

Sorry you are experiencing what I had too last week.  The tingling and root pain really does get better!.  I often just run ice cold water on my head or wet a wash cloth with ice cold water and wear it like a hat.  Just an FYI.  I had T/C #2 today and it went just fine.  But OH NO!  Tomorrow is the dreaded shot.  I was told to take a Benedryl 1/2 hour before so I do not get a bad rash  and massive red skin blotches again.  I hope that and having the Claritan on board since Sunday helps releave the bone pain!  If not my kindly MO gave me a prescirption for a pretty heavy duty pain med.  We will see!  Stay safe and be well!  Just remember, you are loved!

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Carolyn, glad the infusion went well and hope you tolerate the Neulasta shot much better this time!

My sweet hubby buzzed my head to about 1/2'' from my scalp last night and now I'm not having too much scalp pain. I was off today so I put on one of my hats from softhats.com with dangly earrings and went out to do some shopping for shoes, clothes and groceries. It was a beautiful day out and I didn't feel self conscious at all.

• LW122713
    edited March 2013
    Options

Today at work for about 5 or so minutes, I actually forgot that I had lost my hair. It's been 2 weeks since it started coming out and today, finally I didn't think about it for 5 minutes. Here's to hoping that each day it gets a little easier.

My scalp still hurts when I either put on or take off my wig. I can't wait for that to stop.

Also happy to report that its been 5 days since my 2nd round of chemo and neulasta shot and have had almost no bone pain this time. It must be the Claritin, it's my new favorite drug.

• Milo5
    edited March 2013
    Options

GailAnn, thats great.   I have an "appt" tomorrow to have my hair buzzed and I did buy the Moroccan Oil Treatment today (they sell it here at Dry Bar)  So i will let you know if it helps me.  

• Milo5
    edited March 2013
    Options

I was wondering if this scalp pain is specific to TC chemo?   I have several friends that have undergone chemo for and no one has ever mentioned the scalp pain, which I find peculiar.   Even the oncologist and NP didnt mention it with the big book of side effects I got.  

• Melrosemelrose
    edited March 2013
    Options

Milo5- The scalp pain and scalp sensitivity is a common side effect of chemotherapy.  The reason that your onco and the NP didn't mention it is because it is just included as part of the "hair loss side effect".  Normally the hair follicles go through different phases to produce hair.  When the chemotherapy affects the hair follicles, the follicles are unable to go through the final phases of growth which means the hair will not grow during chemotherapy.  As i recall, my chemo gal pals who had AC + Taxol chemo regimen also experienced the scalp pain.  My scalp was a little sore when my hair first started to fall out.  I got some relief when I took a shower and let the warm water flow on my head.  Hope the scalp pain subsides for everyone soon!!!!

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

I noticed on another thread that gals were saying that massaging their scalps with things like mango butter and even stretch mark cream helped. I wonder if anything really emoilent might work as well as the Moroccan oil.