Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cytoxan Taxotere Chemo Ladies- February/March 2013

Options

Comments

• AnnieLane
    AnnieLane Member Posts: 757
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hello all! Tomorrow is my second infusion. Had my DH bring home fajitas with all the fixings from Taco Cabana tonight while my taste buds are working.

Milo5, you look great!

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited March 2013
    Options

Good luck tomorrow GailAnn.  Of course we are always in each other's pockets!

• Milo5
    Milo5 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2013
    Options

To TMM60, Yes that is my halo wig (all my hair is gone) and it was only $49 at the wig store (synthetic of course but NO one could tell it was a wig.     The top is open so its really light and airy and I can wear any style hat with it (but you do have to wear a hat)  

• Milo5
    edited March 2013
    Options

And thanks GailAnn.  You are about 2 days behind me in schedule.   My 2nd went fine and I still feel great today, got the Neulasta this morning, but know that the weekend might be different.

Good luck and let us know how you do.   Hopefully no strange SEs  <3

• Auralaine
    Auralaine Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hello! I just joined this site today and really appreciate the support! I had my first chemo infusion (taxotere and cytoxan) on March 21st, with a neulasta shot on the 22nd. This was the first of four infusions, one every 21 days. So far the worst part has been the bone pain from the neulasta, but I've had a little nausea and diarrhea as well. Compozine really helps the nausea, but makes me really sleepy, which didn't go well at work. I'm grateful I only have to have four infusions, so should be all finished by the end of May. It's nice to hear from others out there going through the same thing at the same time!

• Lmimp64
    Lmimp64 Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2013
    Options

Milo, you look great. Love the hat and halo.

• TMM60
    TMM60 Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2013
    Options

melody, milo and starynights- I am also feeling uncharacteristically tired and some mild GI upset yesterday and today. This is my week 3 post tx and am going for round 3 tomorrow. This is when I should be feeling really good, but it feels like the first few days post tx. Not sure what's up with that?!

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hello ladies, my dear friend just started cytoxan/docetaxal (taxotere) this week and I referred her to this thread. I will be following you and rooting for all of you beautiful, beautiful women - I have tears in my eyes as I write this because you are so incredibly strong and beautiful.  BRAVA !

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

I had my second infusion today and got home about 3 hours ago. So far so good. I was relieved that I didn't experience the allergic reaction some of you have with the 2nd treatment. I had already started the Claritin, so I don't know if that helped. I used the frozen gel mitts and slippers that the treatment center provides again this time. I took a tip from Melrose and cut the fingertips out of some old knit gloves so my fingernails would get the full benefit.

When I described the sharp, stabbing pains I had in my head and elsewhere after the last treatment, my MO said they were caused by the effect of the Taxotere on the nerves (neuralgia) and he prescribed something called Metanx. It turned out to be pretty expensive even with insurance. I found a coupon online too late, but if this stuff helps, I'll use it for my refill. It seems like it's mainly used for diabetic neuralgia and neuropathy. It's B-complex vitamins in a form that is supposed to be easier to metabolize.

My MO also recommended Alpha-Lipoic acid, an over the counter supplement. I had a few work days last time when those stabbing pains in my head made it very hard to focus, so I'm hoping that won't be so bad this time.

I'm not scheduled to work today, so I didn't need to use sick time (my schedule varies.) I went out with my DH and the 3 doggies for our walk after we got home.

Tomorrow, Neulasta. Hoping for the best again this time and hope all is well with all of you dear sisters.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

And Shellshine, hope to see your friend here. You sound like a wonderful friend!

• Milo5
    edited March 2013
    Options

Welcome Auraline, this really is a wonderful group of women going through the same thing at the same time... read back a few pages for info on scalp pain (Morrocaan Oil Treatment worked for me and others) and info on Claritin before Neulasta.   I just had my second treatment 2 days ago and feel pretty good, just a little sore throat and achy.   Been running around like normal today so not too tired, yet, but didnt make any plans for the weekend.  

Good luck and ask away with questions.   

• LisaMM
    LisaMM Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi ladies! I started my chemo Feb. 6, & I'm in it for a total of 6 tx with one every 3 weeks. I am 43, have 3 kids, & work full time as an RN on an OB unit. I just want those of you who are just getting started to know that even though everyone has different SE & reactions that this regimen is pretty do-able. I had my 3rd tx last Wednesday. I'd have to say right now the worst part is the fatigue I'm getting. It started about a week before my last tx. I get generally achy on the Fri, Sat, Sun after my Neulasta, but even that isn't disabling. I haven't had to miss any work so far other than the day I get my tx. Stay on these boards, listen to Melrosemelrose because she is a fountain of knowledge, ask lots if questions, & don't be afraid to vent on here! Nobody knows better what you are feeling than the rest of us!

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited March 2013
    Options

Wishing everyone here a wonderful weekend with your families.  I hope all of you are feeling well enough after your chemo rounds.  As each of you is discovering, you are past the words of "I can do this".  You are now doing this this and doing it well!!!!  With each round, I know you feel a little more tired, a little more fatigued and a little more winded.  I know it feels like you can't take one more step or climb another step and you feel like you aged a lot.  Just keep hydrated and continue eating healthy, resting as often as you can and make sure you get out for a walk or exercise.  Don't lose sight of the goal of celebration you will have when you finish the chemo.  If you find yourself crying more no apparent reason, try to remember it is the chemo causing the tears since it has affected your hormones and that sometimes you just need to cry.  It is perfectly fine to cry.  I remember crying right after I had just eaten dinner on night.  I cried like a little kid because the dinner that I had cooked didn't taste very good.  Of course, I knew how silly this was and I even laughed at myself through my tears.  I also recall crying for no real reason and would tell my husband that I was just fine and just needed to let out some tears.   I look back at where I was over a year ago when I got diagnosed and I am amazed at how far I have come.   Having a positive attitude and being determined to see myself through this are two of the many things that have helped me and continue to help me.  It was my goal to not just merely survive my time in treatment but to thrive.   I'm here with you every step of the way and await the day that you each finish your time in chemoland.   Just remember that you are not alone on this quest to get healthy and stay healthy.

Sending lots of (((HUGS))) and positive calming and healing prayers, thoughts and energy!!!!!  As always, looking for a little peace and a little calm and lots of good conversation, laughter and smiles and moving forward.....    

• raehyg
    raehyg Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2013
    Options

Happy Holidays to everyone!

• LisaMM
    LisaMM Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2013
    Options

Happy Easter lafies!

• Starynights
    Starynights Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2013
    Options

Milo

its so weird isnt it ? Had the second treatment at 11am today and have done well. They even cut my benadryl in half,which scared me to death because I had no reactions the first time. LEAVE IT ALONE if it worked !!! They did the cytoxan slowly, so no problems. I do notice that the steroids are really doing a number on me. I came home and laid down for an hour got up and did the four loads of wash that have been sitting for a week. I will be sooooooo happy if I have no more than Im having today other than the steroid crash in a day or so...lol Im sorry you had the problems with the throat. That has to be really frightening ! Still have that weird taste...Ive been munching on red liquorice and it seems to help.

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

Some of you might remember the crippling pain I mentioned (I think on this board) that I had from the Neulasta even with the Claritin. I talked to my oncologist today and asked if my blood counts were good enough that I could skip it this time. He said absolutely ! Your bloodwork is fabulous. Have labs every Friday so if it doesnt look good will revisit getting it. For now Ive been granted a reprieve.

So...why would he have not mentioned that my numbers were good, and told me before I asked that I didnt need that shot from Hell ? I do LUV him by the way. Also gave me an RX for a Z pac as my entire family and I have bad colds.. Told him I have a tendancy to get sinus infections and we dont want that to happen. Think these steroids have me rambling a bit.

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

Milo you are a cutie patootie for sure in that hat !

• Starynights
    edited March 2013
    Options

I hate to say this.....I know its very real. Do you think our minds are making our bodies do this??? I wasnt expecting it for sure.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

No, Starynights, in this case I think the chemo drugs are doing a number on our bodies and our minds! I'm old enough to remember the old Twilight Zone TV show, and I've been referring to this experience as the Chemo Zone. Have you seen the Lord of the Rings movies? I also think of the scenes where Frodo has the ring on his finger as the visual for how chemo makes me feel - like I'm not quite in the land of the living. I'm glad you were able to skip the Neulasta shot this time. I had mine today, but I didn't have problems with it last time and doing ok so far.

• Walkinginfaith
    Walkinginfaith Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2013
    Options

Milo I love your halo. I know you got it at a wig store. Do you know the name of the wig! I'd love to order one online.

• TMM60
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi all, hoping everyone is having a great holiday weekend. I had round 3 yesterday and other than super tired, I'm feeling pretty good. I've even been able to sleep despite the steroids. Puffy red face, but no steroid moodiness. My DH will appreciate that! They added benadryl to my premed yesterday and started the taxtotere slowly and no reaction this time. Hooray!

• melody46
    melody46 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2013
    Options

TMM60 Yay on no reaction, I've had pretty bad ones the first two times and have my 3rd coming up on Wed.  They are having me take 20mg of steroids at 12 and 6 hours pretreatment and going to give me the slow drip. I am praying to god I dont have another reaction.  Happy Easter everyone.

• TMM60
    edited March 2013
    Options

Here's to hoping no reaction for you!

• raehyg
    raehyg Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2013
    Options

I am so happy everyone seems to be fairing better......my second chemo is Monday and then the dreaded Neulasta. Happy Easter and Passover1

• Lmimp64
    edited March 2013
    Options

Neuropathy. I think I've finally figured out my throbbing, about to have a cavity filled mouth. I have numbness and tingling ipon left side of face, neck, and back of left leg and inside of left arm.

Round 1 was jaw, 2 was jaw and face/neck and this round added leg and arm. I am 5 days out. Anyone else having this? I was also an emotional basket case day 3 and 4.

My mo mentioned gabapentin. I didn't take the script after I read about the drug. Scary. Anyone got a recommendation or experience with this.

Thanks. I'm hitting a low here.

• melody46
    melody46 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2013
    Options

Lmimp64  I haven't heard of that drug but I haven't experienced any neuropathy either. But I experience a little "basket case" the first week out of chemo. Others have told me this can be a SE of the steroids.

• AnnieLane
    edited March 2013
    Options

Lmimp64, this sounds similar to what I experienced after my first infusion. I had it in my jaw and teeth but more in my head. My MO says it is neuropathy / neuralgia caused by the effect of the Taxotere on the nerves. He prescribed Metanx for me, but the prescription was very expensive, so I think I'm going to ration it and try to make it last. I plan to try using it for the first 6 days after each treatment - I have 4 linfusions to go after this one I just had. Metanx is a Vitamin B12 that is supposed to be easire to metabolize and is similar to the injection in how it works. He also recommended Alpha Lipoic Acid 2000 - 3000 mg twice a day. I got that at CVS pharmacy over the counter.

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited March 2013
    Options

I've read on other chemo threads that some take 30 grams L-Glutamine powder (10 grams X 3 times a day) that can be added to any fluids you drink and also 100 mg of B-6 to help with the neuropathy.  At one time, Acetyl L-Carnitine was also suggested; however some have stated on the threads that this supplement may actually make the neuropathy worse.   Check with your onco before taking any of these supplements.  Fortunately, I experienced minimal neuropathy in my feet and hands which subsided after I finished chemo.  I did not take any of these supplements while I was having chemo.  My fingers and thumbs used to get cramp and get stuck in one position.  I usually just moved the fingers/thumb with my other hand to get things uncramped and moving again.  

• Lmimp64
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thank you so much. I will ask about the supplements and Metanx. I didn't know you could get neuropathy in your face/teeth. Thank you for your help. This one combined with finding out have to redo recon has been a mess emotionally. I so appreciate you making me feel not alone.