Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage 2B with positive nodes

Options

Comments

• Shari0707
    Shari0707 Member Posts: 260
    Options

Think u did the treatment that was good for u! And it was

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    Options

Thanks, Shari!!! Certainly hope so, you never know what lies ahead!! But, that was the conventional treatment in 2004!

• Shari0707
    Options

That is still the standard today I think as well

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 381
    Options

@ireland20: Interesting about Olivia Newton John. I bet she'd inspire a lot of people if she talked more about her diagnosis. I've searched for any source to detail it, but have never been successful.

@Kindergarten: Thank you for the warm thoughts. And I'm with Shari... sounds like you did what was right for you, treatment wise. I hope that no matter what anyone is doing---that it's precisely what was needed.

• colt45
    Options

@smo23915: No problem. We're all just trying to figure out what treatments are best for us. It's maddening that modern medicine doesn't know. Our MO called chemo 'insurance' (though an 'insurance' he recommends) and personally doesn't think rads would benefit us much... I'm hoping we never needed any of it----and that whatever we DO/ did opt for, we live just fine with.

I hope everybody's like that.

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188
    Options

I respect anyone's decision on choice of treatment. Although I chose the aggressive Western Medicine route, it was not without great hesitation. I put just as much stock in  my dietary choices, exercise habits, and state of mind as I do in the medical treatment. I chose to follow the data after 20 years of working in the data field - including medical data. But, there isn't data available on many courses of action in which I also believe. I put just as much hope in a double shot of wheatgrass as I do just about anything...including a year of Herceptin. That being said, I am very grateful for my wonderful doctors and my health insurance which I believe just may save my life.

• colt45
    Options

@Mariasnow: Bless you... And I TOTALLY get where you're coming from.
    Well, as much as a husband can.

• colt45
    Options

Bumping in hopes of getting more input.

• christina1961
    christina1961 Member Posts: 450
    Options

I was diagnosed Feb 2011 with triple negative and had one node that was palpable at the time but did not show up on ultrasound or MRI (well, it looked a little big but I was told I was node negative) - I had TAC X 6 then a single mastectomy.  At surgery they found some chemo response but the tumor was still basically the same size, just less dense and I had two positive nodes, the largest of which was 9 mm.  I had radiation, then also opted for additional chemo in clinical trial - Halaven.  I am 2 years, 2 months old NED.  Oh,and at surgery they found the tumor had 5-10% ER receptors so I am now on Tamoxifen. I'm working on trying to find reconstruction with an implant at this point.

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    Options

Christina, you've been on quite a treatment and dianosis ride! I'm wishing you some smooth sailing in your reconstruction endeavors. I am just two months out from reconstruction and feeling good about things despite some highs and lows reacting to my reconstruction results. Looking at things from a healthy perspective...I am put back together pretty well and look quite normal in clothes with the right bra.Kiss

• Lorili
    Lorili Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for directing me to this thread.  Very helpful.  The Dr. told me that I will start sounding like a Dr. myself - learning so much - and from reading these posts I think he's right.  After everything (from going to the Dr. with the lump to now) happening within a matter of 3 weeks my head is spinning with all the information, options, etc.  If anyone reads this, my dr. told me that following the surgery (week after next) i would have 25 days of radiation.  Should i isolate myself from kids/pets?  It may sound like a 'dumb' question, but I just don't know!  Already arranged an apt. for a month just in case.

• placid44
    placid44 Member Posts: 179
    Options

Lorili,

I am doing radiation now and no one said to stay away from kids or pets. A radiation oncologist who posted to another thread said that with breast radiation there is no residual radiation after treatment....it doesn't stay in your body. In this way it is different from some other radiation treatments. For men with prostate cancer who get a radioactive seed implant, they are supposed to stay away from other people. The radiation stays in their body.

• colt45
    Options

@Lorili:

Welcome to this thread. There are a lot of wonderful ladies here doing well who are SO supportive and helpful. I thought it would be a good place for you to visit.

We can all help and support each other. Seems somebody always has a good answer no matter the question.

Bless you.

• colt45
    Options

Bump

• Kindergarten
    Options

Hi, Colt45, How is everything going? Blessings, Kathy

• colt45
    Options

@Kindergarten:

Hey, Kathy... My wife did Taxol#9 today. She's feeling well. So that's good.

I'm, you know, coping.

We're trying to decide on rads. Got a referral today for an RO, so we have to set that consult up.

I started a thread for folks with 1 positive node who had MX, asking for input on rads.

Even if they already PM'd me, I'm asking for input in the thread.

Maybe you could check it out?

God bless and continued good health.

• colt45
    Options

Oooops! Kathy, you already talked about your rads in THIS thread!

Eh, you could contribute if you want in that other thread.

Sorry, I forgot.

• Kindergarten
    Options

Hi, Colt45, thank you so much for your post! I am so glad that your wife is doing well with Taxol. I took taxotere!! What I have learned throughout this journey, is just take one day at a time, by this time next year, you and your lovely wife will be planning a great vacation. Let me know how your RO consult goes. You are a wonderfl husband, and I have a great one too. What would we do without you guys. God bless you, KathySmile

• colt45
    Options

@Kindergarten: Kathy, you always know just what to say to me! My wife is already busy planning vacations for later THIS year. It's cathartic. I can't interfere... it's like therapy. I just hope she's up to going when the time comes----but we'll worry about that then. I can't put a price on the hope planning those vacations gives her.

God bless.

• Kindergarten
    Options

Don't you worry, start packing!!! God bless you!!!

• CinD
    CinD Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hello,

Like your wife, I was also stage 2B, diagnosed October of 2009, and as far as I know, still doing well (knock wood).  My tumor was 2.5 with one positive node.  I ending up having a mastectomy after a lumpectomy, did four rounds of T/C, was on tamoxifen for 2 1/2 years, and was just switched to Femara.  I was around 95% ER+ and PR+, so I'll probably be on Femara for much longer than five years.  My oncologist said I have an excellent prognosis.

It will get better even if it might not feel like that right now.  While we're in fight mode, we're consumed by it.  Fortunately, one day we wake up and cancer isn't the first thing on our minds.  As time goes on, we adjust to the fact that we had cancer.  It becomes part of us and we learn to live with it. 

My best to you and your wife. 

• colt45
    Options

@CinD:

Bless you. You are my angel today.

Continued good health to you.

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    Options

I'm hoping to stay stage IIb. I have a PET scan Friday morning that my doctor ordered due to my worsening bouts of lower back pain.

• colt45
    Options

@Mariasnow: Praying for you.

• Shari0707
    Options

Really praying for U maria keep us posted

• sundermom
    sundermom Member Posts: 98
    Options

So happy to see this thread!!! I was diagnosed Grade 3 stage IIb in November 2010. The boards are becoming so specific I've felt like I don't have a good post for fear of offending someone, so thanks for starting up this discussion.

I was dx at age 37 and have five children 12 and under so I opted for the "with everything" treatment. LOL I had a BMX with ALND in Dec 2010, followed that up with DD chemo AC + T, then radiation and now Tamoxifen. I still think about BC every single day of my life. I had some complications with reconstruction so I actually just finished everything last week, which could definitely be why I still think about BC every day!

Just curious ...what kind of follow-up do you all have? I see the MO every 3 months for blood work and have a PET every October.

• Kindergarten
    Options

Dear Mariasnow!! You are in my thoughts and prayers!!! Hugs!!!!

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    Options

Thanks Kindergarten! I appreciate it much. I am absolutely terrified of losing my NED status.

Sundermom, I'm having tumor markers done every 2 months still as well as check-ups with my 2 Oncologists. It was actually my Cancer Surgeon who is sending me for the PET.

• carlads
    carlads Member Posts: 41
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Sundermom- I agree so glad I found this thread..

I'm still in treatment 6 cycles of T/C down to my last one April 25th..  I have noticed not too many post on stage ll.

Mariesnow- Saying prayers... 

I went yesterday my Chemo follow up and blood-work, I asked what my follow ups would be and she said every 3 to 4 months for the first 2 years with blood work for tumor markers, then I believe every 6 months for the next 3. Then once a year after that..  I'm still unsure of recontruction..  My first concern was getting done with Chemo.. 

Colt45- I have the link to Cancer math but I know you posted another one from the UK..  Can you repost please.  I have found Cancer math can be a little confusing.. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

Carla

• colt45
    Options

@carlads: It's called 'Predict'.

Sorry I can't paste the link for some reason, but if you googled 'predict cancer' , it will come up.