Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage 2B with positive nodes

Options

Comments

• Tinkerbells
    Tinkerbells Member Posts: 53
    Options

joining in way after this thread started- how are you all doing??

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    Options

Stage 2B with one positive node ER/PR+, HER2-, Grade 2. Just passed my five-year milestone. All's well.

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 381
    Options

Selena,

One of my brightest beacons of hope. Good to see you well. Strength and favor to you. My wife is doing well

• leftduetostupidmods
    leftduetostupidmods Member Posts: 346
    Options

I see this is a revived thread. I'll chime in too. I'll celebrate 7 years out on October 19 of this year.

Had a few scares along the way. Still have one but apparently my diet and lifestyle keeps everything in check - two years ago had two spots on bone scan, both under 1 cm, one on the sterno-manubrial joint, one on the right first rib. Bone scan a month ago or so showed the first one gone, the one on the first rib is still there, unchanged, new spot on the cervical-thoracic joint in the spine. But I also have osteo-arthritis, so onc decided to wait and repeat scan in 3 months. He said me being on low carb diet, taking melatonin and vit D3 and doing daily exercises is probably what is keeping things in check.

Life goes on and us with it.

Also, I read in the earlier posts (I know it's a few years ago) the question about the cancer math - what does the % mean after i.e. 5 years, is it "sprinkled" or not. It works this way (you will notice that the curve of mortality increases as time goes by): out of 100 women at the year 0 (zero), for example, 5 of them (5%) will be dead after 2 years, of which 3 (3%) due to cancer and 2 (2%) due to other causes; after 5 years (so 3 more), a total of 10 women (10%) will be dead, to the 5 women dead in the first 2 years add 5 more dead in the 4th and 5th year, if which again, 3 died due to cancer and 2 due to other causes, so after 5 years you have 10% total death, of which 6% due to cancer and 4% due to other causes. Each year there is an adding to the initial number. Our hope is to be among the % that is still alive.

For example, for me, after 7 years, when the mortality rate due to cancer is 12% and total mortality rate is 14%, I am thrilled to be in the 86% that is still alive and kicking overall. I have to note that this is not an accurate calculation due to the fact that I had multiple types of BC in the tumor and the cancermath only lets you choose one type.

But anyway, this is how those graphs work, personally I'd be interested to see how many women die due to side effects of the treatment for BC as well.

• Tinkerbells
    Tinkerbells Member Posts: 53
    Options

glad to see you all doing so well! Seachain- im sure your efforts are what is keeping you so healthy

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    Options

Colt... I'm so glad to hear that your wife is doing well. That's wonderful news, indeed. Still cycling upwards of 30+ kilometres a week and enjoying each- and every day.

My mother, who had an almost identical cancer profile to mine, has passed her 10-year milestone. At 84-years-old, she's survived cancer (twice), a heart attack, and two, mild strokes, and remains the bad-ass of the senior's residence she lives in. Finger's crossed that I've inherited her genes and her sheer spunk.

Happy

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Coming up on seven years! All is just fine with the exception of needing to find more hours in the day to get it all done. Doing my best and most important work ever career-wise and just finished my 10th Seattle-to-Portland Bicycle Classic in a row. That's 206 miles over 2 days.

Doing a 100k ride tomorrow, and then almost 200 miles to Vancouver BC next weekend, so a busy summer.

I spent megabux on my bicycle earlier this season as had worn out most of the major components. Almost completely new other than the frame. Similar story with other cycling gear. Not to mention skiing, hiking, and walking gear.

I continue to be badass too. Cancer remains part of my life, especially since I do a lot of work for a brain tumor patient advocacy organization. I had a walk in the park compared to patients with this diagnosis. However, a place where I can make an impact.

I remain grateful for every single day which I believe to be incomplete without a glass or 2 of good wine. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! - Claire

• colt45
    Options

Selena,

You come from fine badass stock.

• colt45
    Options

Claire,

I love your updates.

• bradie234
    bradie234 Member Posts: 7
    Options

i have stage 2 did a mastectomy, chemo and radiation. 1 year cancer free and my body pays for it everyday.

• Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    Options

I am almost an 11 YEAR 2x survivor in Oct!

I was originally diagnosed with my first bc in Oct 2005 at age 41. I had a 4cm rumour with 3 positive lymph nodes (er/pr+) had left breast lumpectomy, 6 months of chemo (4a/c and 4 taxol), radiation, zoladex injections for 1.5 years and then had ovaries permanently removed in 2008. I also took Armidex for 5 years.

Fast forward to July 2010, my younger sister was diagnosed with bc...large 6cm rumour close to chest wall. She had a single mastectomy and chemo. March 2012 her cancer was back with a vengeance. ..she died a month later at age 44. My older sister was diagnosed in July 2013.

After the strong family history I decided to have what was suppose to be a prophylatic mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.

My pathology from the surgery found a 2nd bc, this time Triple Negative.

I had chemo again and am 2.5 years out of my 2nd diagnosis.

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE LADIES!

• colt45
    Options

Bump

• jcolford
    jcolford Member Posts: 70
    Options

As of January I am 4 years post treatment and have been doing relatively well with the exception of the effects of chemo on my body and brain. :-( I just recently discovered an enlarged supraclavicular lymph node - had my CT scan today and will get the results from my oncologist on Friday. She told me that I was lucky to find it - not feeling so lucky at the moment. F*#k Cancer!

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214
    Options

jcolford Im praying for you and i agree f*** you cancer!

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    Options

jcolford...hope everything turns out okay.

• jcolford
    Options

Thank you Imkopy2 and ThinkingPositive - This is the one place that I can express my true thoughts and fears and know that others can truly understand and relate. It is a tough road that we all travel.

• thinkingpositive
    Options

jcolford. I know exactly how you feel. I can go for a few weeks being okay then all of a sudden I go into a few weeks where all I do is worry about it.

• jcolford
    Options

Well, not the news I was hoping for. Recurrence to nodes in my Axilla, cluster of nodes in my supraclavicular area, nodules in both lungs with a 14.6 x 8.1mm spot on my left lung. I guess I now need to think about next steps. I am being scheduled for a CT guided biopsy to see if the cancer is still TN. I don't think I have fully absorbed this news yet but somehow I feel better having identified the enemy - now the battle begins. Sad

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options

jcolford - I am so sorry to hear that. There are really no words but you know we're all disappointed for you - and here for you. Maybe it's good to have the weekend to start to absorb this? Hugs and caring thoughts to you.

• thinkingpositive
    Options

jcolford...so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you. We are here for you!!

• simplelife4real
    simplelife4real Member Posts: 341
    Options

JColford, so sorry to hear about your recurrence.

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    Options

Guys

I don't think I have posted on this board yet but have read all the stories and its has helped me get through these last few months, given me so much hope

I have Just completed 4 rounds of TC and now being told by Ong Dr that I will not need radiation due to only 1 node positive( big node 14 mm cancer ). Looking at the board people so many ladies dx same as mine and they did have chemo and radiation. While I understand some of these are older dx and treatments change, many are recent and same dx as mine yet doing chemo and radiation.

I worry that Im not getting the right treatment , yet do not want to be over-treated.. I can not find any studies on when radiation is needed and when not . Most anything you read just says 1-3 nodes that radiation should be strongly considered. .

I will be having a pet scan tomorrow and then seeing Ong on Thursday.my plans are to questions him again on this and ask for a second opinion concerning the radiation.

While my family has been wonderful and supportive they feel I need to have more faith in the Dr and to be confident in his decision ,I feel like I need to fully understand why Radiation is not needed and not just take his word because its protocol with current treatment center.

Does anyone know of any studies concerning radiation treatment and number of node involvement.?

Again thanks to everyone that does post as they are so helpful and go a long ways in helping the nerves . .

• thinkingpositive
    Options

HoneyBeaw. I was told the same thing about radiation and I struggled with the decision I also had one sentinel node positive with cancer. The radiation oncologist told me that i had a great surgery. Margins were good. She told me that I was in the gray area but based on my surgery and margins and the fact that 17 auxiliary nodes were negative she wasn't going to tell me that I needed to have tje radiation. Your stats are similar to mine although I was grade 3 Ughhhh. I was worried about lymphedema and problems with reconstruction. She sent me home to think about it and then I went back and ask questions and again she told me she said I'm not telling you you have to have it here in a gray area and she seem to believe that my local recurrence % was very low. I'm not exactly sure how she knew that as I never had the oncotype test. my oncologist said I would need chemo anyway so we just opted just to go straight for the chemo. Did you get oncotype?

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options

I would see a radiation oncologist for a consult, after you have the results of the PET scan.14mm of cancer in a single positive node, without ALND or radiation, seems pretty risky to me. (FWIW - I really hated the idea of radiation but it was a given from the beginning, regardless of what type of surgery I'd chosen. It was tough but necessary and I don't regret it for a moment.)

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    Options

Hi, I am a Stage 2b bi-lateral breast cancer survivor! I had one lymph node involved! I am almost 13 years out! I just finished taking Aromasin, taking it over 11 years !!!!!

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    Options

Thank you , Thinkingpos and Hopefully

I should of mentioned I actually started Letrozole today . Ki67 came back at 8.83%

Oncotype came back saying 5 yr risk of recurrence . Tam alone 9% and Tam+ chemo 11%. I have no idea how to understand this as I would think chemo would lower my chance of this coming back .

• labelle
    labelle Member Posts: 134
    Options

The bottom of the first page of the oncotype report shows your risk of not just a recurrence but also mortality after 5 years with tamoxifen or 5 years of tamoxifen + chemo. Because chemo can raise your risk of your serious health problems, it increases your risk of mortality from causes other than BC. See a sample oncotype report at:

https://breast-cancer.oncotypedx.com/en-US/Profess...

This is for those with 1-3 nodes positive. Notice the explanations for each section.

• jcolford
    Options

HoneyBeaw, I didn't have radiation because I fell in the grey area and the doctors didn't feel it was necessary. Unfortunately, here I am less than 5 years later stage 4. I wish I would have listened to my surgeon who offered to fight for radiation if I wanted it. I trusted that the recomendations from the oncologists were in my best interest. Hindsight is always 20/20. Best of luck in your decision.

• ErikaLow
    ErikaLow Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi ALL,

I've enjoyed reading all the posts and want to share my experience in case it may help someone. I was diagnosed with Stage II in my left breast and one lymph node tested positive. I underwent surgery on 13 April and the tumor was removed from my breast however when they went after the positive node, it had disappeared. The dye trail ended short of the nodes and the Surgeons (2) searched for over an hour. The node was marked during the biopsy but it too disappeared. I'm now waiting on the results of the Lab results from California to find out if Chemo will kill it off or if I have to have ALL the lymph nodes removed from my left armpit. I've read up on the surgery involved and I'm really hoping for Chemo. I've been told that this is a very rare occurrence. I also learned from reading posts on this site that if there had been x-ray equipment available in the OR, the marker could have been found.

Maybe someone with some pull will read this and suggest that the sentinel node that tested positive be marked with a wire as was the tumor prior to the operation by use of Ultra Sound Technology. Only takes 5 minutes and could save someone else from having to submit to a second surgery.

We need to stay positive and enjoy each and every day. Best of luck to all my new found friends!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,067
    Options

Hi ErikaLow-

Welcome to BCO! And thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. That all sounds very stressful, and we hope that the lab results are favorable and you're able to move forward with just chemo!

Keep us posted!

The Mods