Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place to greet and meet newbies to stage III

Options

Comments

• ohio4me
    ohio4me Member Posts: 323
    edited August 2013
    Options

Shary - you need protein and lots of water to get you through chemo. Your healthy cells need that protein to keep your blood levels in good order to continue on your chemo schedule. Eat protein and drink water whether they taste good or not. In the long run - you would rather force feed yourself then delay a chemo treatment because blood levels aren't good. If you have access to a nutritionist, make an appointment and find out how much protein you need daily - don't go less than what is recommended for your weight - you probably need more during chemo.

Fruit is good - but you need a better diet to help your healthy cells get through chemo. I was on ACT also and got really bad metal mouth and bread tasted like cardboard but be creative and get the protein and drink lots of water daily.

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited August 2013
    Options

Welcome Imarieallen1 so glad you found us! There are lots of experiences here along with lots of knowledgable woman! How exciting to have your background in holistic health as that will help you not be as overwhelmed as I was with educating myself and than implementing it into my new life style post treatment!! I'm still figuring out what I want concerning reconstruction...so not much info to share with you...found rads easier than chemo and if I excerise and watch what I eat my ALs doesn't cause many SE, but if I don't excerise and don't watch what I eat I ache like the flu and every joint hurts...ugh!

Tdalanno...welcome...you will find lots of us that were told we were stage 1or2 only to find we're stage 3....a shock for sure...but your with a great bunch of sisters now...don't feel alone...let us know how chemo goes for you!!

• kaydeesmiles
    kaydeesmiles Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2013
    Options

tdalanno - same here. biopsy stage one. after surgery stage three. it's such a shock. it takes a while to get your  bearings. hang in there....

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2013
    Options

Welcome newbies! Sept 9 will be my two year anniversary on mast. I am officially done today! I got my tats today!!!!!! LOVE THEM

• tdalanno
    tdalanno Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thanks for the support kaydeesmiles.  It was hard enough just finding out I had stage I cancer that was Her2 positive and hormone negative but to be "upgraded" to Stage III after the lumpectomy was a terrible shock.  I think I just want to get the show on the road and get moving with treatment.  I did have good news today, PET/CT scan came back clear.  So yea!!!! Got to celebrate those milestones. 

• pupfoster1
    pupfoster1 Member Posts: 176
    edited August 2013
    Options

Unfortunately tdalanno that is very common. The initial biopsy can't "see" what is actually in there, only give you an estimate. After surgery they can accurately measure the tumor and that is what comes back on your final pathology. I had a similar experience and was pretty upset with the end result. I seriously don't understand why the docs don't let people know about this when they biopsy. All they have to say is "this is your INITIAL biopsy. You will get a more definitive pathology AFTER surgery. Your statistics may or may not stay the same depending on what they find". Or something like that. Just wondering if any ladies here actually had a doc explain that to them before surgery?

Sharon

• kaydeesmiles
    kaydeesmiles Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2013
    Options

I agree Sharon. Some warning would have been nice. Doctors did not expalin to me that the biopsy was an initial assessment. Also, my surgeon suggested a lumpectomy since the MRI only showed a 1.5 tumor and no node involvement. Final path showed that was all wrong. I had ILC all over the place in my right breast.

I agreed to the lumpectomy at first. But I changed at the last minute. My gut told me to push for a double mx instead. Reading about lobular before the surgery just made be think there could be more there - and there was. No regrets about my decision.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited August 2013
    Options

I went into surgery after biopsy believing for a 1.5 cm tumor with 1 or 2 nodes involved. After pathology came back, I was stunned to learn the tumor was 5.6 cm, and there were 13/16 nodes. I didn't say 2 words to my husband all the way home or that evening for that matter, but after I gave myself a pep talk and reminded myself what the Bible says about sickness & healing, I put on my Fighting Boots and got ready to SLAY THE DRAGON!!!! I truly believe our attitude plays a huge part in our survival.

Paula

• fredntan
    edited August 2013
    Options

One of my first BS consults before I had my mri told me I was stage 1 also.

My story is little worse, i had diagnostic mammo few years before I found the BC. Radiologist actually was looking at it with US wand. He said it was nothing. He was wrong. I talked to a lawyer. Said it would be difficult to win case. I filed complaint with medical board. So at least these doc that screwed me over know what they did. This doc actually works in my dept. Have never seen him though. Thankfully

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited August 2013
    Options

ILC is notoriously hard to find on mammogram, my stage 3 did not show six WEEKS before it was removed on mammo....5cm in largest area

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited August 2013
    Options

Pup - I think you are right about how often our stage changes (always for the worst) after surgery and how little we are told beforehand. I'm another I to III. Wouldn't it be better if they said we can't be staged until after surgery then we're not so blindsided? When the surgeon told me I was IIIc and saw my face, he said "don't look like that, it's very treatable." But it didn't feel like that at that moment. It was such an adjustment to go from thinking lumpectomy and rads, ok I'll be done before school starts, to surgery, chemo and rads and how will I ever maintain my business??

Of course with so much neoadjuvant chemo, staging has become even more tricky.

• NewHopeAndrea
    NewHopeAndrea Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi, I want to send hugs and warm wishes to all of you! 

I was diagnosed in late Feb, I just made my diagnosis and treatment info "public" so should show up below.  I just turned 53 and have 22 year old and 18 year old.  I felt early on that every test was more bad news and a ratcheting down of my future chances and life plans ... on top of which, as I'm sure many of you have experienced, people want you to "buck up" and have a positive attitude without really realizing what you are facing.  

I hope to encourage myself and others on our mutual journeys.  Listing some negatives here but on the whole with chemo and mastectomy behind me, beginning to feel a little better.  Although the hormone therapy is now presenting some challenges.  It's so easy when you get through a challenge (and people say this, too) to believe that the worst is behind you at least for now.  As others have said, I believe (i) only other cancer patients seem to really "get it" and (ii) every person's case is different. 

I recall clearly how daunting (close to impossible) it seemed to deal with at first.  Still daunting, but as humans do I have made some sort of an adjustment to it and just get through each phase as it comes.  In between I have tried to have some fun, so I remember what it feels like : ) yesterday I went parasailing which was on my bucket list. 

Chemo was dose dense A/C then Taxol; it was tough.  Had various SE's including the "usual" nausea, exhaustion etc. plus hand-foot syndrome and pretty rigorous pain all over different parts of body with the Taxol.  Still experiencing some Taxol SE's including nail bed damage.  It is a huge relief to have chemo phase completed for now.  If this helps, it seemed like forever while doing it (days pass slowly, don't they?) - but now it's done, it doesn't seem so bad in retrospect.  Hair is growing back.  I was able to find good wigs, mastectomy products, vest to hold drains etc. though TLC and Gabor.  Lucky I was able to have sister, stepmom and gentleman friend help me with post surgical care, they are not squeamish. 

I am having my exchange-for-permanent implant surgery next week then radiation.  Trying to feel "up for it", but not looking forward to post surgical pain, drain, etc.  However ... each step, you get through as it comes and hope for gradual improvement.  Also taking antidepressants, and sleep medicine.  Trying to eat healthier.  I am an energetic person so on top of the shock, fear etc. has been trying to adjust to my very limited ability to "do stuff." 

I have been fortunate to have strong family and "gentleman friend" support, and gradually as chemo has completed, talked to rads doctors and got mastectomy and ALND done, and am able to resume a little more of my past activities, my emotional state is in fact improving.  But this is a one day at a time thing!  I am going to work on getting back into some kind of circulation beyond my inner circle, as I am able.  Also will need to consider future employment and health insurance issues (on COBRA now).  Using Scarlett O'Hara ("I'll think about that tomorrow") strategy at the moment for things beyond a month from now.   Heh!  

• pupfoster1
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hi Andrea and welcome but of course sorry you have to be here.

You sound a lot like me.  I think once I was dealt with the reality I just said I'll do whatever I need to do to stay alive.  I had the same tx you did and had numerous SE's as well, including a terrible bout of mouth sores during the A/C and serious bone pain (luckiy it usually only lasted for a couple days post tx) during the Taxol.

And things DO get better, and you CAN start acting like a "normal" person (ha, whatever THAT is Smile) once the more visible issues get resolved. 

You can handle the recon Andrea.  Depending on what you get you will have several drains again, but just remind yourself it's just temporary.  Have you decided what you are getting?  I had the DIEP flap transplant on the cancer side and an implant on the other as I didn't have enough tissue (wish I could say the same now) for both sides.

Hang in there girl.  Feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions you might have!

Sharon

• SweetCaroline2
    SweetCaroline2 Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2013
    Options

pupfoster1- In answer to your question, yes, the doctor who performed my biopsy told me that the actual tumor size was larger than what we could see on the ultrasound.  Although he had prepared me to expect a larger tumor than the 3.5cm tumor measured on ultrasound, I was still shocked speechless when the MRI results ordered following the biopsy indicated a 6.5 cm tumor (this  was confirmed by surgery). MRI gives a much more accurate measurement of ILC tumor size. 

• pupfoster1
    edited September 2013
    Options

I'm glad to hear your doc explained that to you, although I'm sure it didn't relieve you too much.  I guess I'm just one of those people that wants to know ALL the details ASAP.  That way I can come to grips with what I'm dealing with.

Take care,

Sharon

• capecorallin
    capecorallin Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hello everyone, I had surgery in April and am on my 6th out of 8 treatments of chemo.  They say I will need radiation treatment afterward but I am afraid of it because I read it can cause secondary cancers.  I am glad to read some of the post and it sounds like many of you had the radiation treatment.  I had 11/11 nodes all positive.  I dont know what the difference of stages are I have stage III but not sure about the a,b c or what that means.  Can anyone tell me the difference.  Thanks for sharing.

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited September 2013
    Options

Capecorallin ,

I have the same amount of lymph nodes involved but dx 2B ..as you can see from my signature line I had a lot of tx..for rad I used pure aloe no alcohol in it after each tx than at night I used Aquaphor at bedtime and my skin only got a little pink no burns I found that easier than chemo just tired by the end ,..good luck

• Hydavis42
    Hydavis42 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hello stage III sisters thanks for creating this post I was diagnosed 7/22/13 with breast Ca the pathologist said it was 1.5 cm early cancer I had a mast on 8/7 with recon to left breast the surgeon removed 18 nodes 5 of which I was told had cancer cells. Was told I will need chemo and radiation...ugh I had a muga scan and ct of chest abdomen and pelvis yesterday waiting on results please tell me how you ladies managed this waiting and fear and anxiety. Please help!!!

• fredntan
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hdavis-you need a pushy sister to call your MO. Mine told the MO that I was drinking to excess due to stress of it all. Little white lie, but I had results of my pet on same day. They should be in soon. If your brave you can go pick up results or keep bugging your doc. No more tequilla for me

• Hydavis42
    edited September 2013
    Options

Fredntan u r right. I think I will build up the nerve to get them myself. I just thought she would have called me with report good or bad. Ugh the waiting is too much

• pupfoster1
    edited September 2013
    Options

Capecorallin,

I attempted to copy and past the Stage III info from the home page here on BCO but the system won't let me. For more info on your dx go to that home page and look for the topic you need info on under Symptoms and Diagnosis. Click on Diagnosis then click on Staging. I am IIIc because I had over 9 positive nodes (13/15) Hope this helps. 

Take care,

Sharon

• hopefour
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hey girls, glad you've decided to join us here and be part of group!! Yes, not what any of us wanted, but am thankful we have each other. Capecorallin I am not sure the A B C's of Stage 3, but I think anytime a node/nodes is involved there is concern and heavier treatment, that's why we come here to encourage each other as treatment can be hard as well as the after treatment. Hope the last bit of your chemo is going well...I found rads not hard...hope the same for you!!

NewHopeAndrea.. wow, love the para-sailing...not on my bucket list, but so glad it was on yours and you did it! Thanks for being willing to join us and be part of encouraging each other. Hope your exchange went well and your happy with how it all went. Love the Scarlett O' Hara way of dealing with things...must say I've used that approach myself at times. You're blessed with the wonderful support you have around you..I know that must have been such a strength for you!

• Pam358
    Pam358 Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2013
    Options

I too jumped from a Stage 2 to Stage 3 but I was grateful my BS told me ahead of time that there is a Clinical grade/stage before surgery and then the pathology stage/grade once they have the actual tissue in front of them. The Radiologist thought I had two smaller tumors that were connected but the Pathologist decided it was all one. They had confirmation from a biopsy that 1 lymph node had cancer in it but two others were suspicious. It turned out that 5 were cancerous. The Radiologist and BS did both tell me that the pathology report would be most accurate.

My MO told me that because I moved up to a Stage III I was eligible for further testing to see if there is any metastatic disease other than my lymph nodes. Since this has been a big concern of mine, I am glad I will have the opportunity to check. I have a CTscan tomorrow. Breast Cancer is not the time to listen to those messages we received during our younger years to strive for higher grades!

I have the test tomorrow but next MO appt is 9/19, it will be interesting to see if he calls with results before then.

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited September 2013
    Options

Pam358,

Thinking of you as you get the next scan done. Then hopefully that will be it, and you can breathe a sigh of relief..... 

I am just a year in front of you, I well remember the place you are at now. It does get better and things start to slow a little......

My next appointment too is 19/9. For my last 3 month check, then onto 6 months.

• Hydavis42
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hi Pam358 you and seem to have similar diagnosis and treatment plan. i was 5 of 18 nodes positive so i am a stage 111 i had my ct scans and bone scan last week which all came back clear thank god. I met with my onc today and will begin chemo sept 12 of AC first followed by taxol. i actually did not wait on the doctor for my results i went and picked them up myself. The waiting is the worst......

• fredntan
    edited September 2013
    Options

Yeah for you Hydavis!!!

• Pam358
    edited September 2013
    Options

Wintersocks - thanks for your kind words.

HyDavis -when did you have your surgery? I'm still waiting to be cleared by BS so I can start chemo.  My BS went on vacation the week after my surgery but I don't think I'd be ready before the end of the month anyway.  That Axillary Dissection has been slow to recover - or slow to me, it is only 3 weeks tomorrow..lol    Thanks for your information regarding picking up test results as an option, I too hate the waiting.  When the MO and I originally discussed the option of the CT scan he said he would call with the results and since then the 9/19 appt was set - so he may still call, we'll see.  Also, we have a big family wedding this weekend with lots of out of town guests, so I'm not sure I want to know until next week in case it isn't good news. Very happy to hear that your scans were clear, that must be such a relief.  Good Luck starting chemo this week.  May your side effects be few and the effectiveness be great!

• Hydavis42
    edited September 2013
    Options

Pam 358 i had a left mastectomy with axillary dissection followed by immediate reconstruction with expanders placed on 8/7/13. I also had my port placed on the left on August 28, 2013. Chemo set to begin Sept 12 so things have been moving fairly quickly for me. My Plastic Surgeon has basically said he would like me to complete my chemo and radiation first before fills to the expanders in my chest. I have a great team of doctors who are making this as tolerable as possible. I will say my axillary dissection is better than it was 2 weeks ago. I still have a few pains and numbness which im told is part of it but nothing unbearable where i needed to take any pain pills. Now that i have a treatment plan in place i feel less anxiety than i did 2 weeks ago and you will get there too. Enjoy the wedding this weekend and im sure your MO will let you know the results next week. Please let us know how your doing !!! ((Hugs))

• hopefour
    edited September 2013
    Options

Pam358...waiting for scan results is very hard and stressful, but thankful you have a fun wedding to distract you for the weekend. Please keep us up-dated and I am praying for an ALL CLEAR scan for you!!

Hydavis42 ,please keep us posted on how you're doing with your chemo. Be sure to have your anti nausea meds in place, mouth wash for mouth sores and would encourage you to walk as you feel able through it! Just do it one day at a time and you will get to the other side. Lots of wise woman here if you have any questions along the way!!

• Pam358
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hydavis - It sounds like your surgery date was two weeks ahead of me. Glad to hear your axillary dissection is still improving, it gives me more to look forward to. I do try to think of it as all the little nerves and tissues trying to heal and reconnect and that's why there is pain/discomfort - after all they were traumatized. I get very sick when I take narcotics so I told the BS I didn't need a prescription but she winced and said but it's going to hurt, etc so I took it just in case. I didn't actually take any - just used OTC Tylenol and Ibuprofen as it was tolerable and now I'm not taking any so there is progress for sure. I had my port placed during my original surgery since the Radiologist had done a biopsy on one of my lymph nodes and we already knew it was cancerous and chemo would be in my future. My BS didn't suggest it, I called and asked if it was possible.  I hadn't met with my MO (medical oncologist) yet and he was away at a conference but my BS (breast surgeon) checked with other medical oncologists at a patient care conference and they all agreed I would be having chemo so it was OK to proceed.  I was really grateful she went the extra mile to check it out as it saved me another procedure time.  It sounds like you have a great medical team as well - I think it's so important! 

Hopefour - thanks for the prayers, they are always appreciated.