Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place to greet and meet newbies to stage III

Options

Comments

• awnie1301
    awnie1301 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hi Ladies,

After finally getting the guts to look more closely at my pathology reports etc.  I have figured out that I am not stage IIb IDC as I had thought but I am clearly a IIIa, grade 2.  I didn't really want to talk about it but realized that having 5/8 nodes involved was probably pushing me up there.  I was diagnosed in July and had a mastectomy and axillary node dissection.  I had CT and bone scans as well.  My CT showed a small "spot" on my liver which at the time they felt was most likely a hemangioma.  I was supposed to have an ultrasound after recovering from surgery.  I ended up having the ultrasound last week...after having started chemo.  The tech was unable to find the 'spot' now.  She consulted with the radiologist and she felt that the 'spot' was high on my liver and most likely unable to be found by ultrasound.  I am thinking the spot (which is no bigger than a pencil mark) may have been mets that has now gone with chemo. 

I am a basket case.  Really scared and realizing my prognosis is not as it was.  I have 3 young children and I am having a really hard time holding it together right now. 

Help!

A

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited September 2013
    Options

Awnie1301, welcome to stage III..it may sound scarier, but we have lots of woman doing well and living many years with more nodes than you! I was at MD Anderson for a check up about two weeks ago...sadly there was a precious woman who's cancer had come back...she was stage II...what was so hard in listening to her was how in shock she was. She repeatedly told me that she was just stage II and never thought it would be back! Her husband goes with her to the doctor while she is examined, than she leaves while her husband talks to the doctor...she said shes still is in such shock she doesn't want to hear anything. I was encouraging, as I know so many of our stage IV sisters are doing well, but never shared I was stage III..we both had been DX back in 2011. I share this with you as an encouragement, as I shared this encounter with my doctor at MDA, she explained that the biology of the cancer is such a large part of the picture not just nodes! I also realized, that as hard as it is to be stage III, we have the opportunity to be more aggressive in self care, treatment and so on..stage III makes you take this serious, but also realize so many do very well! 

I don't know much about the liver issue, but I do know that whatever it was it is gone..that is a good thing! Try not to create worst case scenarios. I know how easy it is to take any word, report or even the doctor's facial expressions as being negitive! If it was mets.. its gone!!

I believe having younger children makes this journey harder. We have lots of young moms here and I hear them say to keep busy with your kids!!  I know for me (older kids) my family was a huge motivation for me to get through treatment and change my life style after.  Please, keep us up-dated on how your treatments go and know we all have those moments when it all appears hopeless...it's not...theres lots of HOPE!!

• Elmo67
    Elmo67 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Options

I received my final path results on 01 Oct. I knew I was at least stage 2 and was hoping that's all I was. My heart sank when I found out that I was Stage 3a because of the lymph node involvement. I'm having a B mastectomy on Monday and while in the hospital, I'll have a CT for mets. I'm scared. Every little ache or pain I feel I wonder if it's cancer. I'm also very scared that I am HER2+. I've been on an emotional roller coaster and today is really bad. I'm looking for any kind of hope anywhere.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited October 2013
    Options

Elmo~~I'm sorry about the diagnosis. I remember how I felt the day I went to the BS for my one week follow up from surgery and got my path report. They had expected a 1.5 cm tumor and 1 or 2 nodes involved. The tumor was actually 5.6 with 13/16 positive nodes. Stage IIIc. I really felt that "gut kick."

I will say though, that because the cancer is triple positive, they have all kinds ammo in their arsenal. You will probably get Herceptin along with chemo. (Luckily Herceptin doesn't seem to have many side effects) there is also a pill to take after finishing treatment. It's for the ER/PR positive.

I have found that having a positive attitude goes a long long way in our well being. That's not to say you can't cry, scream, vent, or whatever you need to do to cope. Then put on your FIGHTING BOOTS and SLAY THIS DRAGON!!!

Blessings

Paula

• Macy
    Macy Member Posts: 93
    edited October 2013
    Options

Awnie1301, I had a similar experience as you and yes, it sucks! I was diagnosed in July, went into my first surgery in August thinking I was having an area of DCIS removed and when I woke up from surgery I found out I had a large tumor that they couldn't get clean margins around. Obviously not DCIS.

I went for another 10 days with more appointments, tests and visits before I finally found out I was stage III. Like you, it was not what I expected and so hard to deal with at times.

Hang in there. Concentrate on one day at a time; I found that is what works for me. From what you write, it seems your chemo has been very effective in eradicating the nasties. Take comfort in that, you know that the chemo has done its job. You will be here for your kids, don't worry! (((hugs)))

• Pam358
    Pam358 Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2013
    Options

Elmo - I've been in similar shoes. Went into the hospital a stage II and came out a stage III. For me, even at a stage II I was worried about mets and when the Dr told me that because it had bumped up to a Stage 3 I was now eligible to get the CT Scan I felt that it was a silver lining because as nervous as I was about the results I would know exactly what I was up against. The waiting to have the test and waiting for the results was the worst for me. I kept trying to tell myself that worrying so much wasn't going to change the results - some days it worked some days it didn't. Distracting yourself with other things is sometimes helpful. But hang in there, you will make it through before you know it. Don't forget to come back to the boards and vent - I think some of the feelings we have are difficult to explain to others who haven't been there. Hopefully you will get the all clear sign and be able to move forward. We will be waiting with you to hear the results!

• RebeccaA
    RebeccaA Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2013
    Options

Count me in as another Stage III sister. Since finding out I had breast cancer, I wake up some mornings thinking that surely this can't be real and wondering why I can't awaken from this nightmare and how my life went so horribly wrong. Other days I'm upbeat and positive that I will get through this!

I knew going into surgery that the tumor was pretty big but I was hoping to have none or limited lymph node involvement. But results were worse than expected. My husband told me the results, but I was suspicious that they were not telling me everything. I guess I thought that as bad as it sounded there must be something worse they were hiding. It must have been paranoia or not feeling in control while lying in the hospital unable to do anything.

So, it's been almost three weeks since surgery. It is still up and down emotionally, but I am beginning to feel more like myself and I am so ready to get out of bandages. Next week I meet with the oncologist and find out about my treatment, which I guess will begin soon.

Reading all of the posts here has helped me to feel hopeful and that I can face this and get through it.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited October 2013
    Options

Direwolf~~Sorry to be meeting this way, but you've found a great forum with lots of tips, support, humor, & love.

There's also a triple positive thread you might get a lot of answers from.

Blessings

Paula

• Pam358
    Pam358 Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hello Direwolf - those first few weeks are an emotional roller coaster so I'm glad you found these message boards. Some other suggestions might also be to also join a message board for the month of your surgery and the month of your chemo - they tend to be a little more active than this board and I have found them very helpful.

Take Care

• hopefour
    edited October 2013
    Options

Yes Direwolf you can face this and we're all here to help you through your treatments...there is the other side!! I remember thinking I have to face one treatment at a time. And you will find that there are good days between treatments. Drink lots of water and exercise as much as you feel able...a little walk is even great! I understand the disbelief that this is all really happening to you....I still have moments where I can't believe all I have been through. Keep reaching for hope and stay positive....not always easy, but we're here to give encouragement and cheer you on!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited October 2013
    Options

Welcome to the newbies! Yes, those first weeks of staging and figuring out treatment are the absolute worst.

With me, I had a large tumor with skin involvement at DX, so they slapped me in the hospital for two days to do a biopsy and every scan known to mankind (well, at least that is how it felt at the time). The doc's assistant came to my room with all the scan results and told me they could not find any mets. I made her repeat it, and then to make really sure, I asked if I could call my mother and tell her I was free of mets. She said yes (she is a moron, btw, and I call her the mountain troll, I am sweet that way). I called mom, felt semi-relieved, and then at 8PM the docs all trooped in to tell me that they were actually quite concerned about a spot on my liver, so I was being shipped back down to the basement to have an MRI on my liver. Joy! :/ Anyway, it was finally decided that the spot was most likely a cyst. That was two years ago, the cyst is still there, I am still considered NED and it is what it is.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi all, me too I look more closely at my pathology reports since I was seen the Onco last Thursday and I asked her to really tell me what stage I am cuz the more I read the report the more confused I got. I have figured out that I am not stage II IDC as I had thought but I am clearly am IIIa or IIIb grade 3. I didn't really want to talk about it but realized that by not having a clear margin at the time of surgery and one sentinel node involved was probably pushing me up there. My onco finally told me that yes I am stage IIIA and maybe a IIIB. What ever that means as if I am in between. I was DX last year Oct, finished Chemo in Feb 2013. had NS BMX with immediate reconstruction with TE in March 3013. Rad in June, now waiting to have the final surgery in Dec 24 2013. I am like you very scared of recurrence rates been stage III but I am ready to move on I am so tired and frustrated. I Thanks you all for been there for each other cuz it really means a lot. I wish I came on this site sooner. Awnie, Pawn , Direwolf I hear you, I am almost done the process of recon and I still have ups and downs when it comes to emotions , one day I am great the next I want to wake up from the nightmare lol Lets keep in touch and be positive that yes someone will wake us up one day ;))

• hopefour
    edited October 2013
    Options

Enerva..welcome to stage III regardless if a A or B..we love to hug a new sister and if anyone ever comes wakes you up from this BC nightmare, please wake up the rest of us sisters (brothers)! We are always here for those rough emotions days and hopefully when you're feeling positive you can lend a word of encouragement to a sister on her rough day. Congrats on almost being done with recon...thats wonderful!

• Enerva
    edited October 2013
    Options

lol I will wake up every bodyyyy lol

• RebeccaA
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hopefor, Pam, Soteria, Enerva, etc... Thanks for all the kind, encouraging words. This has been s pretty good week. I returned to work for a couple of days after getting the first oncologist visit over with. I start chemo on the 28th, but first I go Monday for the port insertion. I'll be glad to have it but I'm not looking forward to more discomfort in my chest area. It seems that as soon as I'm feeling pretty good, it's time for another procedure. Ugh! Felt really good this week, then it was time for an expander fill Friday. I really can't say that the expansion is bothering me but it seems to aggravate the area under my arm where it is still sore from surgery.

Also, I keep reading all this stuff about people who are positive do better in cancer treatments and recovering. So now whenever I feel down, I beat myself up and worry that I am not being positive enough!

• Enerva
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi Direwolf just wondering how many Chemo will you get? Also do you have small veins? in my case i chose not to have a port. My veins are ok so i rather get the poison in my vein every time i went. It was very simple and much better than what i expected. Thought you should know you have a choice. Giood luck

• RebeccaA
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi Enerva. I am getting 6 chemo treatments of taxotere and carboplatin over 18 weeks. So each treatment will be 3 weeks apart. I'll also be getting herceptin. I do have small veins and I think trying chemo, a year of herceptin plus lab work all the time would just deplete my veins and stress me our. Overall the port is the way for me despite the discomfort that may result from the procedure.

• Enerva
    edited October 2013
    Options

ok Direwolf ;)))

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited October 2013
    Options

Direwolf,

The port is the best way to go for all the tx...I had a port

• gavinsgrandma
    gavinsgrandma Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi ladies, I have not posted for awhile I finished my 4 rounds of A/C, got a little reprieve and next week I start 12 treatments of Taxotere. The journey continues still with up's and down's but I feel like I have turned the corner and feeling like after almost 6 mo of this nightmare that I may finally be coming out of the fog. I looked through the recent posts but with the old chemo brain cannot remember or respond to all of them😛 I wish everyone a blessed day.

Shary

• Enerva
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi Gravinsgranma, i wish you continue to feel better and stay out of the fog ;) 

good luck and keep in touch

• hopefour
    edited October 2013
    Options

GG, We wish you a blessed day and hope what remains of your treatment goes by fast! We all get the fog thing!

• lisa137
    lisa137 Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi to all.

Another newbie here. I don't know if this is a weird thing, or a normal thing, but even though I fully expected to be stage III, and possibly even IIIc, for some reason actually seeing it on the pathology report kind of shattered me. I guess I *knew*--I could feel the tumor and the one node with the extracapsular extension-- but just didn't *believe.*

Better day today though; Just past 2 weeks from BMX and finally got 4 out of 5 drains out today. Immediately came home and took a nap lying on my side. Felt pretty good for most of the day, just when I was thinking I'd never feel good again. Reading here helps so very much.

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi Lisa!

I know just how you felt. I knew I would be stage III and they said stage II. Then surgery, 22 nodes, and BAM I'm IIIc. Sounds like we have pretty similar diagnosis.

Getting those drains out is awesome!

I started chemo about 3 1/2 weeks after surgery and the time just goes by faster than you imagine. I have 10 rads left now. You will be on the other side of this in no time!

Best of luck to you Smile

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi Newbies. I WAS a stage IIIC er , lots and lots of bad prognosticators... Just hearing that staging sent me for a loop. But the reality is get t the big guns for tx and pretty much nothing tx wise is left to chance. Protocol for Stage III is pretty darn agressive, thank goodness and we all get through it. We have an amazing amount of ladies in our club out there 8 years plus just like me.

Anyway. I am heading toward the big 9 years out and all's well!

Looking forward to you all joining us!

• gavinsgrandma
    gavinsgrandma Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2013
    Options

Linda, thank you for the words of encouragement it means so much to us, to know that we can be staged a 3c is such a frightening thing to wrap our minds around. It gives me more hope and strength to keep fighting this beast until it is gone. I finished my A/C protocol 3 weeks ago and tomorrow I start my 12 treatments of Taxotere, a step at a time I keep telling myself.

Lisa137, welcome friend to where we don't want to be but theses boards are so helpful and supportive,it is always encouraging to connect with others going through the same things. You, 4seewhat and all have very similar Dx. I remember what a relief it was to get the drains out and lay on my side it felt like heaven, my journey is not that far ahead of you so if you need any help or to ask any questions please ask anytime. Big hugs to you as you are healing and wondering what comes next.

Happy Halloween all, Shary

• Enerva
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi all, some wonderful lady shared a video on another forum and in case you guys want to know of any good exercises to do at home, here its the link, go and watch the videos i did some today and i will do them everyday to help my upper body. 

Oh and welcome to all the newbies i love that we have this stage III forum. 

breastcancerrehabilitation.com...

• Momine
    edited November 2013
    Options

Lisa, welcome! You WILL feel good again. There will be several bumps in the road, but you will be OK. As you go through treatment, don't forget to soak up those times when you are feeling well. Laugh as much as you can.

We have similar DXs, except I was "only" 3B.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited November 2013
    Options

Do folks with grade 3 stage 3c survivie? Just not sure. V

• Momine
    edited November 2013
    Options

HVV, yes, some people survive and other people don't. It is impossible to tell who though, since it appears to be a bit of a crap shoot.

It is not the same cancer, but my mom had ovarian cancer 6 years ago, a stage with 30% 5-year survival. She is still here, absolutely no evidence of disease and going to yoga class regularly at age 73. Her odds were not good, but she fell in that 30% percent of people who live.