Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Anyone else out there choosing 100% Alternative?

Options

Comments

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited December 2013
    Options

To me it is simply Darwinian theory. Cells adapt to survive, regardless of what kind of cells they are.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited December 2013
    Options

Brookside, here is an article discussing the stem cell thing: http://www.brainlife.org/reprint/2006/wicha_ms060215.pdf

• digger
    digger Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2013
    Options

Abigail,

You seriously belong in the other thread on the alt forum where absolutely no questions are allowed regarding whatever "therapies" you're pursuing. That thread is even more relevant for those who don't have breast cancer, so I think you would find it much more your style. You can write and comment on threads there to your heart's content.

• Fallleaves
    Fallleaves Member Posts: 134
    edited December 2013
    Options

Momine, that looks like a good article on stem cells. I look forward to reading it when my brain cells are functioning better! (I have a feeling I have a shortage of brain stem cells....)

So, sounds like a lot of you got a nutritionist as part of your treatment, which is nice. I went to a center affiliated with Johns Hopkins, and so did my aunt, but no nutritionist for us. Maybe we needed to go to the NCI designated cancer centers in Baltimore to get that.

SelenaWolf, very cool that you are participating in a metformin trial! I really hope it turns out to be effective.

It will be interesting to find out how many different receptors breast cancer cells have. I've read that 77% of estrogen positive breast cancer cells also have androgen receptors, and I've read studies that mention cannaboid and vanilloid receptors, which made me wonder what the hell else they have receptors for!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2013
    Options

I don't know how different centers decide on what services to provide, i.e. Nutritionists, physical therapist, exercise/yoga etc., but there seem to be some huge variations. It would be nice if services were comprehensive for everyone. I got lucky in that my provider offers all of the above and then some, including a farmers market once a week. A lot seems to depend on where you live or where you feel you can reasonably commute to.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited December 2013
    Options

kayb - my A1C was 5.9, again right after diagnosis. I had already started Arimidex, and wondering if that effected it too. Will have another one this year, after finishing my 5 years on Arimidex.

For those monitoring their blood sugar, the A1C is the preferred ( by most docs) measurement, and the fasting blood glucose can vary so. Of course if the FBG is way over 100, then monitoring is usually suggested. I still do, just not as often as I used to as I've used diet to control things.

Selena, I was offered the Metaformin, but when I researched the, ah, "gastric" problems, I've not started. I take enough Immodium just to get thru a day now ;)

Momine - the things my Naturpath has me taking, both to cook with, and in pill form: Bitter Melon, Gymnema Sylvestre, Cinnamon, and made me SWEAR to toss out all the Agave Syrup I was using my my teapots full of green tea daily. Now using locally produced honey. Know I should give up that too..but...no other sugar in anything. Very few carbs except Quinoa, and veggies.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited December 2013
    Options

The nutritionist recommended increasing my intake of fruits, vegetables, especially green leafy ones, and grains. Advised to really lower the amount of saturated fat I eat. I do eat cheese, but no meat. I have fish several times a week, which she said that was great. I did not have chemo, so there were no special considerations in that regard.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited December 2013
    Options

My A1c has hovered around 5.5-5.6, even as my fasting glucose has rattled down, slowly but surely. I am about to check it again, and I am curious if it has finally come down some.

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2013
    Options

Momine, I've got all my digits crossed my A1C has dropped as my fasting blood sugar has really gone down, so don't want to have to take meds, well, more meds. My thyroid ( also genetic, all the women in my birth family) went wonky a few years ago, and take generic synthroid for that now.

My new favorite thing, which is SUCH AN OLD hippy thing I've since learned, is Nutritional Yeast. Get it in bulk at my local food co-op and yummy on popcorn. Has close to an "umami" taste.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited December 2013
    Options

This is the heading of this thread and section of the forum and I would like it to be that, its why I came on to this thread.....not for judgement from others who believe only in mainstream medicine...

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place for Alternative Therapy users and for those wishing to discuss about alternative therapy only. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Please refrain from providing individual medical advice.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2013
    Options

lily55,

I think most of what you interpret as judgement is simply questioning and employment of critical thinking. As I mentioned earlier, another thread has been started which requests no questioning, challenging and that participants already be informed. Sounds like that's what you're looking for.

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited December 2013
    Options

why doesn't my onc do this A1C test?? Im going to ask about it on Thursday for my 3mos check.

sunflowers - I was on the metformin trial - dropped out because I was pretty sure I was on the placebo as a few ppl I knew on the trial had definite "gastric" issues.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited December 2013
    Options

THank you Kay - as for blood sugar levels, the number is 80 here in Spain and mine is always below that thankfully, the downside to the blood sugar argument is that we convert carbohydrates and all energy giving substances into blood sugar, but maybe this isi why people of just below to normal weight seem to have greater longevity post diagnosis?

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290
    edited December 2013
    Options

Yes, cancer cells do become resistant to chemotherapies, which is why they are also done in combination and there is a prescibed "course" of treatment in both cycles and drugs used. The idea is that blasting the cells with a combo cocktail lowers the ability of the cancer cell to adapt and mutate to all of them at once. Continuing with chemotherapy even if no signs of cancer are left is meant to beat down the cells that may still be hiding out.

If any of you have not read "The Emperor of All Maladies", I highly recommend it. It talks extensively about the discovery and development of chemotherapy (including towards combinations).....and of how little hope there was for those cancer patients before it. I don't know how anyone could read it and possibly walk away thinking that going back to "treatment" options for cancer before chemotherapy or even radiation would be preferable. Chemotherapy is still in its infancy really, and there is a lot more to be learned, but it undoubtedly has saved the lives of an enormous amount of people even in the last 3-4 decades.

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2013
    Options

rozem - the A1C test is usually only given in the States to someone with a "high" FBG, mine was at 126 ( eeeeek!) when my doc ordered it. Oncologists usually don't, what we call Personal Physicians in States do. It IS more expensive, don't know whether that would apply to CA too. Smiling at your answer to the "gastric issues" - hope I never need it. My FBG is still a little over 100 :( But at least it's not where it was.

Really am so pleased with what the Naturpath suggested to keep blood sugar as close to "normal" as can be for me. If I do have to take Metaformin, I'll let you all know so you can buy stock in whoever makes generic Immodium.

• juneping
    juneping Member Posts: 634
    edited December 2013
    Options

i found this article....not sure if this has been posted.

75% of physicians in the world refuse chemotherapy for themselves

http://www.undergroundhealth.com/75-of-physicians-in-the-world-refuse-chemotherapy-for-themselves/

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2013
    Options

Interesting - nothing on the hyperlinked McGill site, and the article is printed in a "Natural News" website. I'd be very interested in reading the survey from the source. Do you have it, other than from this Natural website? Thanks.

• pupmom
    edited December 2013
    Options

There is no conspiracy regarding physicians prescribing chemo to women who don't need it. I had 2 positive nodes, but after getting a low Oncotype score, my MO said NO chemo. I am far from unusual in this regard. If physicians were just trying to make profits from chemo they would certainly give it to patients like me. I would have done chemo if the MO had recommended it.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2013
    Options

"Polls were taken by accomplished scientists at the McGill Cancer Center from 118 doctors who are all experts on cancer. They asked the doctors to imagine they had cancer and to choose from six different “experimental” therapies. These doctors not only denied chemo choices, but they said they wouldn’t allow their family members to go through the process either! What does that say about their true opinion of this archaic method?"

118 doctors is a very small sample if you are stating 75% of physicians in the world. The link to McGill University does not yield the actual study, which I'd love to see. Lastly, the article came from natural news, the work of "health ranger" Mike Adams, who, to me, is not a credible source. Any chance of providing us with the link to the study itself? Thanks

• juneping
    edited December 2013
    Options

sorry..i don't have anymore links.

i was actually looking for an article in english about a Taiwanese doctor who is specialized in brain and he got colon cancer 7 years ago. he had the surgery to remove the tumor but refused to go thru chemo. and he's still kicking and established his own chemo free cancer treatment center. he left the hospital. so i was looking for his info couldn't find any but that link.

• pupmom
    edited December 2013
    Options

So you weren't able to find any information verifying what you stated the Taiwanese doctor said?

• juneping
    edited December 2013
    Options

yorkiemom - i don't think it's about money but what doctors think about their jobs. they vowed to save lives and chemo is the standard treatment. so they would recommend us to take chemo. but when it comes to their own lives....i think they might think differently. i take it as a more of a sense of responsibility to the public. like rather cautious than sorry mentality...??

• juneping
    edited December 2013
    Options

these are the three clips i talked about...but it's in mandarin

PART 1: http://www.youtube.com/v/0e56OsD36bc

PART 2: http://www.youtube.com/v/LonXzyvJprY

PART 3: http://www.youtube.com/v/hMotoFk9kTo

• pupmom
    edited December 2013
    Options

As I mentioned in a previous post, they DO NOT recommend chemo if the evidence indicates patients won't benefit from it. Doctors review all the evidence from each patient's physiology, and make informed decisions, designed to save our lives. I'm good with that!

• Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    edited December 2013
    Options

I have a friend who is a doctor and who has BC. He went running to the nearest chemo bag so I'm not so sure about those stats. Also Mike Adams is not a very credible source IMO.

• juneping
    edited December 2013
    Options

i am sorry...i really don't know how trusty are the website...i am all new to these...let me know if you want me to remove it.

• Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    edited December 2013
    Options

And, the sister of the surgeon who put in my port sat next to me in the chemo infusion room...getting chemo!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2013
    Options

juneping,

You don't need to remove anything. Many of us are just looking for a verifiable, credible source, no just an anecdote. We all have lots of those!

• pupmom
    edited December 2013
    Options

Juneping, I wish you good health and long life! Please be careful about alternative treatments that offer instant fixes for all that ailes you, and promise to "cure" cancer.

• Rdrunner
    Rdrunner Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2013
    Options

That article is misleading in that it doesn't indicate what treatments exactly other than experimental chemo treatments.. id also like to see the exact and detailed poll questions and answers. Have to investigate