Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone else out there choosing 100% Alternative?

Options

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,830
    edited May 2014
    Options

natty,

Odd as it may seem, we agree on something. I personally don't mind orcac, but I can hardly bear to read the comments. Most of them are snarky, sarcastic  and filled with little to no useful info. Snark and sarcasm are two huge turn offs for me. As for his name, I would say it is not uncommon for writers in any medium to use pen names. Yes, he has strong opinions, but nothing that might get one fired. I hope we never see the day when strong opinions, even those related to our profession, get us fired.

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited May 2014
    Options

googles orcac & got some chemestry analysis site headed by someone named o'brien?  so what's this about?  where are these comments?

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2014
    Options

Leggo, I guess it depends. I do not find Orac either pretentious or pompous, and I think it is important to apply logic to claims of treatments. I differ with him on various points, so in other words I do not consider him some sort of oracle. However, he does a good job of debunking a lot of erroneous crap floating around the "interwebz."

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited May 2014
    Options

gpt it I think the orac blog. looks like fun.  today gary spoke about the benefits of honey, raw organic on cancer. causes aptosis, esp towelang (?) honey.  better than chemotherapy, because of the enzymes it contains 7 many cancer fighting phytochemicals

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited May 2014
    Options

Does anyone here take Vitamin A drops?  I am looking to add these...

• juneping
    juneping Member Posts: 634
    edited May 2014
    Options

jojo - what does vit A do?

• OBMelt
    OBMelt Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    Options

In July 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Triple Negative Breast Cancer and after only 8 months without the use of any 'traditional' therapies, I have successfully treated my dis-ease using only alternative & holistic therapies. No surgery...no radiation....and no chemo!  

I am a strong proponent of alternative medicine and truly believe our bodies can overcome most illnesses...naturally. I am living proof as to how diet/supplements, along with different alternative modalities, including positive thoughts & actions, can help make that happen. I am just getting started down this fantastic journey, but am so grateful for this 'gift'.  On Monday, I had my first Internet radio show to discuss my alternative protocols and options.  You can listen to the podcast from 5/5/14 at: "Lessons in Joyful Living" with
    Operation Blueberry Melt

Thanks & blessings to all for a healthy, happy, cancer-free life!!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2014
    Options

OBM, how interesting. How were you DXed and how are you monitoring your disease. I checked out your site, but couldn't find anything there about your cancer.

• FabulousKaki
    FabulousKaki Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi Cindy!  I was diagnosed May 2012 with Stage 2 IDC, Her2+, and have done only natural treatment.  I refused surgery, chemo, radiation, and Herceptin.  My treatment plan includes diet change, supplements, baking soda, and taking cannabis oil daily for 2 years.  "Get the bad stuff out, get the good stuff in, then get out of the way" ~ had been my philosophy and my protocol for treatment.  Just recently moved into Stage 4.  Am planning surgery since the tumor is 4.6cm, is disfiguring, and painful.  We are treating this as a chronic illness to be managed, not ~ "I'm dying with cancer".  If anything, I'm living with cancer!  The remarkable news is that my brain and liver are cancer-free!  It has spread to my lungs, but not my brain or liver!!  Woohoo!  Nor, has the tumor fungated ~ they are all shocked by this one!  They are still recommending chemo, Perjeta, and Herceptin, for the rest of my life ~ yeah, right.  Everyone wants to have the feeling of a permanent, low-level hangover, right?  Not me.  With the cannabis, the only side effects are chronic good health and a slight feeling of being stoned all the time.  Hello?  It's a no-brainer for me.  Also, cannabis penetrates the blood-brain barrier ~ that is why my brain has been protected.  And, since I take it orally, most of it is metabolized in my liver ~ so, I think that is why I don't have cancer in my liver.  It is expensive (about $2000./month) because of course, insurance doesn't pay for it.  And, in my state, it is illegal.  Cannabis is the most medicinal plant on the planet.  It is God-given, and I think it is criminal to restrict it's use.
    Dx: May 2012 ~ Stage 2 IDC ~ ER- PR- HER2+ ~ no surgery, no chemo, no radiation

Dx: May 2014 ~ Stage 4 with lung mets

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited May 2014
    Options

Kaki - you are a good example of why people should at least have surgery. I'm sorry alternative treatment didn't work for you.

• Akevia
    Akevia Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2014
    Options

suzieq60, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it. I try going natural and when it got worst I got chemo and planning to do surgery. I'm not crazy!!  Not saying she is but if the tumor isn't shrinking you might want to try something else.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited May 2014
    Options

Without surgery (if that is recommended), your staging and any other pertinent info is only preliminary. It is not uncommon for the post surgical path report to differ from the biopsy path report. This at least allows one to have a truer picture of what's being treated and make decisions based on that.

• margie79
    margie79 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2014
    Options

Kaki, I read your post late last night and I could not stop thinking about your situation. All I can say is, please, please, please get help in form of conventional treatment. Obviously, what you've been doing is not working for you as you have progressed. Your treatment, whatever it is, is NOT working. Herceptin is a wonderful drug that had saved many women with HER2+ breast cancer. How do you know it will make you permanently hungover? How do you know you will have any side effects whatsoever? Please, I beg of you, open your mind and try the conventional treatment. Do it for yourself, do it for the loved ones.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited May 2014
    Options

kaki,

Also wanted to add that you addressed your post to Cindy. She hasn't signed on in 8 or 9 months so may no longer be active on bco.

• hjpz
    hjpz Member Posts: 215
    edited May 2014
    Options

Both times I have had BC I just wanted it out of my body!  I had no concerns about surgery (except of course I hate surgery :) but my concerns are more in the recommended treatment afterwards.  Things haven't changed much since my mother had (and passed away from) BC nearly 30 years ago.  There is something wrong with that IMO.  Dr.'s have stopped looking for prevention and new ideas and just got stuck in the status quo.  

• suzieq60
    edited May 2014
    Options

hipz - I hate surgery too. Things have progressed in the past 30 years - Herceptin is now there for HER2+ve bc and I have seen some StageIV women become NED from their treatment.

• hjpz
    edited May 2014
    Options

I know some things have progressed but not enough IMO.  Chemo and radiation are still the standard of care.  I take Tamoxifen which was new when I had BC 12 years ago. Mostly I wish there was more open mindedness about alternative treatments - even in conjunction with traditional ones.  My oncologist is pretty open minded luckily for me but he tends to have to look into things like DIM when I mention them since they are not traditional meds.  I am lucky that he takes the time to listen and research because it seems other Dr.'s are not so open.  

• suzieq60
    edited May 2014
    Options

Herceptin is a huge progression - one of my friends here from our Nov2009 chemo group had liver mets- she remains NED due to Herceptin - totally amazing.

• hjpz
    edited May 2014
    Options

I was HER2- both times so know nothing about Herceptin, and like I said, Tamoxifen is also newer, and I am prescribed that, so obviously there are newer meds in the last 30 years.   I think perhaps my point is being lost here so I will quit while I am behind! 

• Akevia
    edited May 2014
    Options

hjpz I agree with you. I have an open minded oncologist also and I'm so happy I found him. He know I used alternative treatment also, and it surprised me when he knew about Reishi mushrooms for inflammatory   breast cancer, and my treatment isn't standard at all because I believe I should take part in my treatment if I understand what the out could be then I don't see the problem. We are working on shrinking my tumor without killing my immune system. I'm on tamoxifen also but you are correct the standard treatment is chemo, rads, and surgery and that's it. Not to say it's not different drugs available from 30 years ago but the same treatment is given. They offer me the same drugs that's killed my grandmother of BC, so I agree with you!

• hjpz
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks Avekia! Wow.  Your oncologist sounds great.  Mine tries but knows nothing about alternative treatments.  He is really open to my questions and has told me more than once he knows I research things and don't just ask him about what he would consider "hokey" ideas. My main point was that it makes me sad that the same treatments are used and the majority of survivors don't even know you have a choice and can ask questions and decide what is best for you.   I also have major issues with mammograms but I won't even go there :)   I wish you the best of luck with your treatments. 

• Akevia
    edited May 2014
    Options

hjpz thank you and I have a problem with mammograms also and won't be getting one again I will do MRI if I need to but like you said we won't go there! :-) Yes my Doc is the best, love him!

• juneping
    juneping Member Posts: 634
    edited May 2014
    Options

hjpz - i also agreed with you about the standard tx remains the same as few decades ago. may be tamoxifen is later medicine but besides of that, it's still surgery, chemo and radiation. even some docs are saying it's pretty much the same. and yeah, with some newer med to make chemo less nauseating - are we supposed to think "wow, what a great improvement....we are getting close to a cure!!"...??? the only development of cancer tx that i've noticed is the "refinement" of chemo. i don't see chemo going away in the next 50 years but am sure there will be more med to support chemo.

• lightandwind
    lightandwind Member Posts: 97
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi June,hipz,and Akevia,

Here are some articles that speculate about the "end of chemotherapy" in cancer treatment.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/06/26/no-more-chem...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cancer-care-are-new-tr...

http://drsircus.com/medicine/the-end-of-toxic-chem...

• hjpz
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks juneping!

Lightandwind I read all 3 articles and truly hope that within the next 10 years chemo is the last resort for BC patients.  I am sure chemo is the right choice for certain cancers and certain patients but the cookie cutter approach that it is needed for every single BC patient is still the norm today in middle America were I live.   If you go on any traditional thread here I am always saddened to see the amount of women who list chemo as their treatment -- even women who had DCIS or tumors under or around 1 cm  with no lymph nodes affected.  My Dr.'s wanted me to do chemo 12 years ago when I had a tumor a little over 1 cm - they actually called me several times and made me cry at work.   Had I not had the life experiences with my own mothers disease I am sure I would have gone along with them without even questioning it so I know where these women are coming from - in the early days of BC we are all scared and lost and want to trust our Dr.'s.   Not all patients are the same so why do Dr.'s insist on treating us as such?  Sorry to ramble.  At least I have some hope now after reading those articles,  Thanks lightandwind!

• lojo21
    lojo21 Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi hjpz, I just want to point out that chemo is not a given anymore - with new genetic profiling tests like the OncotypeDX , many women like myself are spared chemo, which would be of little benefit, and of potential harm. Look at my stats - a relatively large tumor, but clear nodes. 10 years ago, I'm sure I would have had chemo, but a low Oncotype score suggested I did not need it. I don't have a problem with people looking into alternatives, but I don't quite understand the level of frustration often present - breast cancer research has made great strides in the 30 years since my mother was diagnosed, and especially in the last 20 years since she died. New ways to personalize treatment, new drugs are coming along all the time (just look at Herceptin for the treatment of HER2+ tumors). There is no conspiracy to withold low cost, miracle treatments -- cancer is an incredibly complex disease, and one that is to some extent a natural consequence of being a multi-cellular organism. I do wish doctors could be better communicators - and there will always be arrogant doctors, poor communicators, and the like, but I don't think in general the profession is not to be trusted.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited May 2014
    Options

Yes, I'm one of those stage IV women. No chemo, almost 3 years NED on Arimidex alone. Mostly normal life. Should more change? Yes, but to say nothing has changed is not true.

• Akevia
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hello people calm down all hjpz is saying is that chemo, rads, and surgery is the standard treatment for BC and it's hasn't change much in 30 years. Is that not true? We are not saying everyone has to have chemo okay! It's means chemo, rads, and surgery is it you might have one or all three. Yes there are new drugs but it's still the same chemo, rads, and surgery! 

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited May 2014
    Options

What I would like to point out is that you are not taking into consideration that these modalities have changed- and been refined greatly over the last decades and, as such, have greatly improved outcomes.  Saying that you "still" have to have surgery-chemo-rads for breast cancer is like complaining that you "still" have to take an analgesic when you have pain or an antiarrythmic drug for heart disease, or a blood thinner when you have had a stroke.  These things haven't changed much in the last 100 years or so; however, scientific advancements have led to refinements, new options and better outcomes.

Chemotherapy drugs have changed drastically in the last 100 years.  They've moved from nitrogen mustard to methotrexate, to alkalating agents to antifols, to 6-thioquanine and 6-mercaptopurine, 5-fluorouracil, Vinca akaloids, cis-platinum, vinblastine, and bleomycin, and all the way through today's taxanes, adriamycin and Herceptin.  They've moved from treating cancer with a single agent to a combination of agents, which proved to be more effective.  They discovered that different combinations affected various cancers differently, making some combinations better at treating certain cancers and other combinations better at treating others.  Radiation therapy developed the same way; discovery and refine, refine and combine.  Ditto with surgical techniques.  So, no, it's not still the same chemo, rads and surgery.  Today, it's vastly different than 30 years ago and 30 years from now, it will be different again.  This is a good thing. 

I would, also, respectfully point out that natural remedies have been around for hundreds if not thousands of years, yet people still use them to treat themselves of various ailments.  There have been no major "breakthroughs" in natural remedies during this time, just an increased understanding of their chemical structure through the refine- and combine process.  So, if it's still the same chemo, rads and surgery for cancer treatment, I would also suggest that it's, also, still the same natural remedies that have always existed.  The basics remain the same, all that changes are the details, but the details can make a world of difference.  However, this is simplifying a very complex issue, wouldn't you agree?

My hope is that - at some point - it's all going to come together - conventional and natural - into an "a-HA!!" moment and someone will, actually, discover something or refine something that will put us that much closer to the key of controlling cancer because, frankly, I - personally - do not believe that a cure is possible only a control.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thank you, Selena, well said!