Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Options

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited September 2013
    Options

I believe that having Oncotype Dx done with positive nodes depends on whether you are pre or post-menopausal.  Genomic's website indicates this, although there is most likely some discretion on the part of the oncologist as well.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited September 2013
    Options

Special K, that is probably correct. I was post-menopausal.

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587
    edited September 2013
    Options

JD. For some reason I found the thought of rads confronting. I had a 6hr round trip each day for 6 weeks which was a pain, but it is over before you know it. I only used sorbolene and my very fair skin coped quite well. I was told to keep really hydrated as that helps your skin.

• JDB53
    JDB53 Member Posts: 139
    edited September 2013
    Options

Kyliet- 6 Hr round trip! OMG! We are fortunate that the Hospital is 10 minutes from our house and its directly across the street from my wifes job. She wants to go back to work while doing Rads.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,994
    edited September 2013
    Options

Work should not be a problem with rads, especially since you are so close to the hospital. I was a 3 hour round trip; which was a pain in the you know what!

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

We are so lucky to live so close to two wonderful hospitals here in NJ. On the other hand I have seen some of the pictures posted from where some of you live and its beautiful. Not saying that its not nice here, just crowded.  Well going home from work now. Its 101 outside and humid! Yuk!

• pupmom
    edited September 2013
    Options

JD, you're getting the heat wave we just had. Can't say I was sorry to see it move on down the road. 

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

yup, should be gone by the weekend. On another note,  I just met my new neighbor next door. Turns out he is a wide receiver for the New York Jets. Dont know if any of you are football fans or not. I personally am a Giants fan .

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2013
    Options

I also had low score (14) so didn't have chemo. My BS had no say in the matter. It was totally up to my MO by that time.

However, my 1st BS (before I decided to go elsewhere) was definitely going to give me both rads and chemo and no onco test. They knew already that I had positive nodes because of biopsies and PET/CT scans

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    GlobalGirlyGirl Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2013
    Options

gardengumby - I don't know why I wasn't given an oncotype test - probably an insurance thing. Maybe I'll ask him when I see him on Monday. Out of curiosity.

JDB53 - Oooh I'd be excited if an NFL player was my new neighbor! I'd be star struck. The closest I got was a coworker who was married to a 49ers linebacker. Haha My partner is a big NY Giants fan too - but an even bigger Yankees fan. Laughing

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

GGG- a few year back my wife broke her arm and we were going to the Hospital of Special Surgery in NYC for treatment. Many celebs use the doctors there.  We took an elevator ride to the office with Yankee great Mariano Rivera, really nice and humble guy.  The next visit we met Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. I was star struck!

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    edited September 2013
    Options

JDB - Wow! I can't wait to tell my partner. She'll be so jealous. Jeter is her favorite, but Rivera is her second. She went to the A's - Yankees game to hopefully see Rivera pitch.  She actually cried when he announced his retirement! I might have to pick her up off the floor when Jeter retires. Laughing

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

GGG- So the funny part is I shook Mariano's hand and when he got off the elevator I had a huge grin on my face. My wife looks at me and says "do you know that guy"?

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hello all- Hope everyone is well.  The Mrs. went to the shore with her sister to get away from it all for the weekend ( I hope she didnt mean me??).  She is doing well on the Taxol. Next infusion this coming Tuesday.  Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

• pupmom
    edited September 2013
    Options

JDB, are you guys close to the Boardwalk? Can't believe that area was destroyed AGAIN!

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hello stage II people- ladies and gents, Just getting going on this journey, waiting til next week for oncotype score and first MO visit. Anxious as heck about needing chemo. Been all over these boards since I got dx in July- half afraid reading of SE and half trying to think that those dont affect everyone.  Trying to remain positive. Got myself worked into a lather before the bmx w/te- having read the trouble with TE thread. But thats gone well and almost painless now 3 weeks out.

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

The house where my wife is going this weekend is about 6 miles from Seaside Park where the fire occurred. Seaside Hts and Seaside Park have always been a huge part of the NJ shore.  Hurricane Sandy destroyed many shore communities, and many areas remain in ruins. And now the fire.  Wow.  I live in North Jersey about 70 miles from Seaside Park.  But I just remembered, our first date was on that very same boardwalk in 1973! 

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

Aviva, welcome. I was in a panic as well as my wife. But its doable. Stay calm. You can do this!

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    edited September 2013
    Options

JDB53 - That's hilarious. I told my partner, and she was so jealous that you got to meet him. Rivera's been getting standing ovations from every team when they're on the road.  For a lot of his fans, they just want to see him pitch.  And that's a roll of the dice.  Who knows if the game will warrant one of the best closers in the history of the game?

Anyway, it's awesome that you were able to speak to him. I'm a boxing fan, and I saw a local boxer turned pro at a match - he wasn't fighting, though. Just watching, like me.  I went up to him and got tongue tied. All I could say was, "You're Andre Ward!"

Smooth!  Laughing

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

GGG - its funny how we get all tongue tied when we seen sports figures or actors but bottom line is they are just people too.lately I'm thinking my real heroes are the people that are on these threads I have a lot of respect for the women on here my whole attitude on life has changed because of all of you.but right now I'm watching the Yankees verses Red Sox game.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2013
    Options

Aviv, welcome to the club we all wish we could have avoided! Just take it a day at a time. Glad you had no troubles with the TE's. Another day and the constant surgeries and doc visits will be mostly behind you. The underlying nervousness hangs in there, but like everything else that's not so great in our lives. We can let it define us or not. Usually its best to choose not. ;) excuse any spelling mess ups I'm posting from my phone....

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited September 2013
    Options

Welcome aviv & fellow illinoian :) hope all goes well with your oncotype score. Everyone on this thread is great - you'll find all the support you need

• aviva5675
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks guys! Trying to think positive. Just hoping right now the test result comes back Mon so the MO appt isnt pushed back any more!

So much credit to you who have been down the road already, chemo/rads/reconstruction, etc...I wish it was about 6 months from now :)

• clwhetstone
    clwhetstone Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hi Aviva

Welcome to the boards.   Thank you for your note about the bmx & te.  I have finished Chemo and I can tell you that 8/12 was my last chemo and the SE are a distant memory now. :)   You will get through it like a champ. :)   It's the fear of the unknown that gets me so your note really helped since I will be having surgery 9/4.    Sorry you have to be here but it's nice to meet you :)

Cathy

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited September 2013
    Options

Welcome Aviva to this wonderful and supportive forum!

And my heart goes to everyone reporting pain and distress in the past week. I have been unwell and in bed a lot due to anemia. No energy for anything, but today I have read a lot of the posts. Ocean- hope you are in a better place today. Wow, you had it tough this time girl. Cathy - your last post is hope-giving. My last chemo was 8/25 and it is hard to believe that this nightmare will ever become a distant memory, but I know you are right. Joe - the wife's trip to the shore sounded like she is doing great. Im sure that makes you a happy hubby! Aooaoo - again girl, you did good! Keep doing whatever you are doing.

If any of you changed oncos, please share how that went. I think I need to do that but I don't have the energy to search/interview. Has it been easy to find an onco who is both, very competent and compassionate? The bigs names in my area seem to meet only the first criterion.

Hugs and Health to all, Nisa

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

Nisa. Hope you are feeling better. I'm sitting here in the infusion room waiting for my wife you start her second taxol treatment. The first one went well. We are hoping for the same results.2 more to go after today. Then we get a month off before rads.

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    edited September 2013
    Options

Nisa, I think it is possible to find an oncologist who is very competent and compassionate.  The oncologist that I had originally signed up was head of oncology at my hospital.  I wasn't comfortable with her and got a second opinion and I love my oncologist.  Can's say enough about him.

Where in California are you?  It may be that someone on the board here may know of a terrific oncologist.  I can certainly understand why this seems so daunting. 

So I'm thinking good thoughts for your finding a wonderful oncologist.  Ladies in California, any suggestions?

Thanks

Liz

• aviva5675
    edited September 2013
    Options

well good news for me, oncotype score a 2, no chemo, just arimidex.  Genetic counseling and a bone scan coming up, all good things.  So hopefully minimal SE and good reconstruction over the next few months...but, its all still alot!

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

Great news Aviva!

• clwhetstone
    clwhetstone Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2013
    Options

congrats aviva that is great news

Cathy