Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Options

Comments

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    GlobalGirlyGirl Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2013
    Options

clwhetstone - Suckiest full time job ever because you don't even get paid. Laughing Welcome! 

• jcolford
    jcolford Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hello everyone! Wow, so much activitiy happening on this thread (and the other 6 or 7 that I am trying to follow) I spend most of my time reading and not writing much.  I was asked to speak to a university class on worldviews and was asked to speak about how my worldview changed since my cancer diagnosis. Anyone that knows me knows that I am an introvert so public speaking is a bit difficult for me. The class was made up of adult learners, nursing students, etc. It really gave me the opportunity to reflect on how I have changed this past year. I was given a beautiful gift of a bracelet and bhutan prayer flags and one of the students is donating her hair to an organization that makes wigs for children who have lost their hair due to cancer or other illnesses. I am going to be the one cutting her hair (I was a hairdresser years ago). 

It was a wonderful ending to a Monday at work. Blessings to all and hoping that everyone going through treatment have minimal SE's.

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited September 2013
    Options

Has anyone else had "that day", that everything just comes to a head?  I thought it was a hot flash that started it, but all of a sudden, the tears won't stop.  Everyone here is so positive - it helps to pull you out of the funk. After almost 5 months you would think you have a grasp on the idea of what you've just gone thru, but I guess everyone just needs a good cry once in a while.  I didn't go thru nearly what alot of you have, so I guess I feel I shouldn't complain or vent - just a rough night I guess.

You all have been such a great source of information and support.  The only place I could think of going at 4am to catch my breath was here!  Just a little anxious I guess Surprised

• traii
    traii Member Posts: 379
    edited September 2013
    Options

Mjsgumbas

YOU are allowed to have days like that. Im sure we have all had those days and still do. Regardless of what treatment you have or haven't had we are all on this board because we have one thing in common...!

Hope you got back to sleep and enjoy your new day x

• JDB53
    JDB53 Member Posts: 139
    edited September 2013
    Options

Jcolford,

Very cool!

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited September 2013
    Options

Mf, 5 months, OMG, you are so new to all this! Personally I felt that the emotional adjustment was the most difficult. Just hearing that word "cancer," and all it brings to mind is overwhelming. It took me at least a year before I truly, not just intellectually, recognized that, 1.) it wasn't an automatic death sentence, and, 2.) life does go on pretty much the same, minus a few chunks of flesh here and there. ((((HUGS)))) Like Traii said, hope you can get some more sleep.

• mjsgumbas
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thank you Traii and yorkie mom. 1st real melt down i guess. We all want good days - hopefully the rest of today will be better. Think I'm gonna get my nails done 😗

• traii
    traii Member Posts: 379
    edited September 2013
    Options

Getting nails done and some retail therapy will do you good mjsgumbas Wink just what a girl needs !!

It does get better. I'm with Yorkiemom, the first year is the one that you think ' ah cancer, ah this, ah that, every little thing I felt I just about had a melt down, but I'm learning, and just over a year out that life does go on and every thing I 'feel' is sometimes 'in my head' lol. Life surely goes on when I have a cheeky 3 year old boy!! Wink well, it really never stopped and I'm so greatful for that.

Enjoy your day of pampering. Now you've made me feel like getting my acrylics back on ! LOL

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    edited September 2013
    Options

mjsgumbas - Oh the "sobbing on the floor, please just shoot me" day? Yup. I still have them, and it blows.  I suppose it's normal.  Retail therapy works sometimes. Kiss

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,997
    edited September 2013
    Options

It took me a whole year after active treatment was done before I could even BEGIN to process everything I had been through! Know that your feelings are normal. Make sure that you are doing & planning plenty of fun, interesting activities to enjoy the days and move forward....and definitely take full advantage of retail therapy, also facial/massage therapy, expensive haircut therapy etc....be good to yourself, you have earned it!

• mjsgumbas
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thank you all for the shopping encouragement. Got a french manicure and got 4 new outfits. Feeling better - tomorrow will be a new good day Thanks again!

• pupmom
    edited September 2013
    Options

Mjs, you did good girl! Now you're learning how to deal with this sh*t! Wink

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

We just finished our consultation with the RO.  Because she had 3 positive nodes and LVI and ECE we will be doing 6 weeks of Rads.  The RO says it will give her an extra 5-10% boost in survival.  Its nothing that we didnt expect to hear but hearing it brought it all back for my wife. She was  shaking when we left his office. This sucks!

• ruthbru
    edited September 2013
    Options

Compared to chemo, I found rads to be a breeze. Remember that you want to do everything you can NOW to minimize the chances, as much as possible, of ever having to play this game again!

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

Ruthbru- Yes totally agree! And the RO said the same thing!

• ruthbru
    edited September 2013
    Options

When I was about to start rads, a nurse friend (and 30 plus year BC survivor) reminded me that it was only 6 weeks out of the whole rest of my life.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2013
    Options

ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  Sometimes ya gotta shop!!!

• pupmom
    edited September 2013
    Options

What GG said! Laughing

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    edited September 2013
    Options

Even though I cut my nails down to stubs, I love the look of French manicures! Plus 4 outfits? Nicely done, mjsgumbas!  Lather, rinse, repeat. Wink

JDB53 - Even though I declined the conventional route after surgery, my coworker said it was 10x easier than chemo. My other coworker only had to do radiation, and it turned out to be easier than she thought.  She did say she got very tired and fatigued in the last couple of weeks as the effects are cumulative.  Good luck!

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thanks GGG-

Fatigue cant be worse than the Dose Dense AC she had! She was wiped out for 4 days with that stuff. Much better now that shes on Taxol.

I'm sure she isnt frightened by the Rads, but rather the scenarios the RO presented to her as to why it was best to do the Rads.  He was being honest.

• gardengumby
    edited September 2013
    Options

3G - I see you are ER+/PR+ are you doing hormonals?  If so, which one.  If not, are you doing supplements, etc with a naturopath? I didn't do rads or chemo either, but it was with the OK of my team of docs - they said radiation wasn't required right off the bat, and then when my oncotype test came back, my MO was happy to not give me chemo.  I was thankful.  I'm, of course, being snoopy.  If you don't want to answer - just tell me to butt out!!!  Laughing

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

We were never given an Oncotype score. I wonder why?  Is it too late to find out? 

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 381
    edited September 2013
    Options

Joe,

Given the details you've shared about your wife's pathology, the recommendation to treat with radiation seems reasonable.

It's important to be comfortable with our treatment decisions and there's always the option of a 2nd opinion if you are not completely sold on this recommendation.

Weighing the risks and benefits is paramount and I hope they were laid out for you clearly by the RO so that your decision is well informed.

Once all of your treatment decisions are made and you've completed the treatment, you won't have to 'go back to that place' again. You can just move forward.

There is no shortage of incredibly positive testimony from those receiving rads here.

Your wife will do great.

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    edited September 2013
    Options

gardengumby - I'm taking DIM. I just switched primary care physicians. He is a DO (not MD), so he understands the alternative stuff. DIM was also part of his treatment recommendation. Smile

I wasn't given an Oncotype score either, JDB53.

• pupmom
    edited September 2013
    Options

JDB, the Oncotype has to do with whether or not you receive chemo. I know the cutoff for getting the test done is having 3 or less positive nodes. But I'm not sure if the docs figure in LVI and ECE. 

Rads are another matter. Personally, rads was incredibly easy. The hassle is getting there every day, but the plus side is you really bond to the RO and technicians (at least I did).

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited September 2013
    Options

JDB53 - it is most likely because of the positive nodes - Oncotype Dx was originally designed for ER+, node negative women.  The assumption, particularly with three positive nodes, it that chemo would be recommended.  Oncotype Dx predicts recurrence risk with chemo added to hormonal therapy.  That ship has sailed, lol!

• gardengumby
    edited September 2013
    Options

JDB - I had 2 positive nodes, not three.  Yorkie says the cutoff is three (maybe it's changed?) When I had it the cutoff was two - and insurance wouldn't cover it unless it was zero (unfortunately, they didn't tell us that little tid-bit until after the test had been completed - though I'm really glad I had it anyway!!!)

• pupmom
    edited September 2013
    Options

My insurance covered it with 2 positive nodes. GG, the criteria must have changed. My MO said cutoff was 3 nodes. Anyway, even with my 2 positive nodes I did not need chemo, as my score was low.

• JDB53
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thank You all for your input.  I learn something everyday from all of you wonderful people! Yorkie- Yeah no doubt the LVI and ECE factored into it!  Thanks Colt. No looking back forge ahead!

• mjsgumbas
    edited September 2013
    Options

I had 1 node and onco wanted me to do 6 chemo treatments until we got the oncotype score of 12.  I was told initially because I had 1 node + the surgeon wouldn't recommend the oncotype - the oncologist took it upon himself to have it done - thank goodness he did.  I think it really depends on your insurance too. 

GlobalGirly - I plan to repeat atleast every 2 weeks for my fill ins