Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• JDB53
    JDB53 Member Posts: 139
    edited October 2013

Forgot to ask! Does Arimidex cause hair loss? That's all she has to hear! She is looking forward to getting her hair back.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited October 2013

Arimidex can cause hair thinning, but I would not necessarily categorize it as hair loss.

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited October 2013
    Every time I combed my hair there were dozens of hairs on my comb and dozens more on the floor. There would be "hairballs" on the floor that were made up of my hair. There was hair in the air filter of the air conditioner. This went on for 5 years. I would call that hair loss since I lost approximately half my volume of hair....At least now it has stopped.
  • Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718
    edited October 2013

JDB53 - I have been on arimidex for the past 11 months and have had no problem with thinning hair. I take Biotin daily and, more importantly, liquid silica which has been clinically proven both here and in Europe to thicken and strengthen hair. My hair has been coming very thickly and is shiny and healthy.

I recommend it highly and suggest that you look into getting it for your wife. I use liquid BioSil drops which I get from amazon.

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391
    edited October 2013

Speaking of hair. I am now 2 1/2 years post chemo. My hair is LONG! About where it was before. I never thought it would get back but it has. I need to have a better style to it but after this time of not having hair it makes me cringe to cut too much off. I will make the plunge though.

• JDB53
    edited October 2013

Looking good Hortense!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,594
    edited October 2013

On my hairdresser's recommendation, I used Nioxin shampoo and conditioner for chemically treated hair all the while I was on chemo, even when I didn't have hair, (my scalp was being chemically treated from the inside out). When I was done with chemo, I switched to the regular Nioxin while my hair was growing back in. Once it was nice a full again (which took 6 months after chemo), I switched back to my regular shampoo and conditioner. Arimidex had no effect on my hair at all.

The nasal drip thing has to do with the fact that she doesn't have any hair in her nose to catch the dust etc. that she breathes in.

• JDB53
    edited October 2013

Ruthbru- Never thought of that nose hair thing!

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited October 2013
    I wish mine had grown back the way it was pre-chemo, ooph and Femara. It was fine but quite thick before and worn in a short bob. Now it is cut short (Jamie Lee Curtis style) or it looks horrible and very thinned out. No complaints though - at least something grew back with minimal gray too.
  • gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2013

Haven't been on here in a bit, but wanted to add for Nisa. I had positive nodes (two) and my doctors immediately rejected the idea of radiation, said that for two positive nodes it wasn't necessary nor wise due to the added problems the radiation could cause. I go to the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, and was diagnosed three years ago (this month).

Also, I'm on femara/letrozole and lost quite a bit of hair. I'm taking biotin and it's helping.

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited October 2013

Nora - Welcome. Hooray to 3 years on Sunday! I think you are entitled to 3 of anything that day (3 ice creams, 3 hours of non-stop girlie shopping, 3 glasses of champagne, 3-anything!!

NotSelf - I am scared of Amiridex which I started only 7 days ago. The cell phone comment made me smile. Please share the right combination of stuff that helped you with osteosporosis - I almost qualify for the dx.

Clwhestone - Once I no longer see scalp, I think I will dare going wig-less. How are you managing that now?

Joe - Glad your girl is almost done. I would have no doubt about radiation if it offered me 10%. With a husband like you, your girl is protected for a lifetime!

• NisaVilla
    edited October 2013

Gardengumby - I meant to ask you but forgot in previous post. What is the biotin? Just when I think I will have hair again, I read about losing a whole bunch...ahhh! And also how is femara different from Tamoxifen for you? Thanks!

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited October 2013
    NisaVilla,

I take the following twice a day. My doctor said it was more easily absorbed.

Calcium 600mg
    Magnesium 200mg
    Vitamin D3 2000iu

That's a total of 1200mg calcium, 400mg magnesium, 4000iu of D3. You may require less of the supplements. Each person is different. I have my Vitamin D3 tested every year to make certain that I maintain a level of 55-60ng/ml. I have my doctor's approval for any and all supplements I take.

I'll get the results of my bone density scan tomorrow afternoon. I'll post the results.

Side effects of Arimidex vary from person to person. I had not pain for 4 years and it was only the last 6 months that were difficult. Don't worry too much about the drug. The important thing is to discuss any questions you have with your doctor.
  • clwhetstone
    clwhetstone Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2013

JDB I did get that nasty cough, Mine was completely gone within 3 weeks of ending chemo... you are both in my thoughts and prayers

• JDB53
    edited October 2013

clwhetstone-

Thanks for reply on that. Its driving my wife nutz! I was told the taxol cause a drip, and my wife has seasonal allergies which starts now, so the two of them together is bad.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2013

Nisa - biotin is one of the B vitamins - I think it's B-7. You can get it at any health food store. Also Costco seels a "Hair and Nails" combo in the vitamin section that I'm taking right now. In addition to biotin it has some vitamin C and magnesium and something else I cannot remember. But it does help. My finger nails grow like mad and I'm not losing hair anymore.

As for tamoxifen - well we didn't get along well at all. I was exhausted ALL the time. I'd fall asleep the minute I got home from work. Then I got extreme pains in my hands and feet - it was far too painful to attempt to walk - and then I got blood clots - a whole bunch of 'em. With femara I am more tired than I was before I started it, but I can still function (I take it in the evening). I have joint aches that seem to move around a bit - mostly they are in my hands, feet and hips. My thighs will ache if I stand very much, but as long as I keep moving I'm OK there. I'm not as stable on my feet as i used to be. My libido has pretty much evaporated, though it re-surfaces on occasion, it's nothing like what I used to have. I lost probably 30% of my hair, but that is stopped. My blood pressure and heart rate are both much higher than they used to be. Acupuncture seems to be helping with that. I take a large number of supplements. Before I started taking them, things were worse.

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 382
    edited October 2013

Hello to all. Just checking in and perhaps giving some good news and hope to my friends.

I have been away from the boards and will likely continue to be scarce.

I just don't want anyone to misconstrue my absence as a sign of something bad.

I guess I finally understand better why we don't see many of the people doing well after treatment.... for many, I guess, this is part of moving on.

I also feel a tremendous sense of gratitude towards the many ladies who DO stick around to support others.

I know not all of us can be the champions of hope and information that some of our very special members are-----but I vow to always check in.

Yesterday marked 1 year since my wife was diagnosed. Other than acknowledging it quietly to myself, there was no time spent on it by me.

My wife is doing good. We are making plans, living life. She is tolerating Tamoxifen well. We have been busy as we both joined the hospital's Fitness & Wellness Center here. My wife goes to a lymphadema therapist (slight hand swelling that we are determined to keep on top of) and with the fitness program, we both have personal trainers and nurses working with us as well as have access to doctors right there----as it is connected with Centra State. We feel 'well looked after'. She ran into her MO just going to the gym last week. We love that guy.

The nurse takes baseline measurements as part of the program... body fat%, weight, hydration level, BP, HR and body part circumferences. Then you check in with her quarterly.

My wife's personal trainer specializes in lymphadema cases and has met face to face with the lymphadema therapist. We are confident that a safe, beneficial exercise regimen will be provided as a result.

We also learned that both my wife's nurse and personal trainer are breast cancer survivors. One of them was diagnosed in 1999 with nodal involvement. They give my wife hope and comfort that you can survive and they show my wife how she can help herself by living as healthy a life as possible.

I joined with her and subjected myself to the same prodding, poking and measuring----and signed up with a personal trainer who specializes in PT (as I have my own physical history). So we're in it together, getting our arses kicked-----and in turn, we shall kick arse.

May you all kick arse.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,594
    edited October 2013

Good for you! You will probably BOTH end up being in better shape than ever because of this unwanted detour :)

• momand2kids
    momand2kids Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2013

I'm in!!!

• JDB53
    edited October 2013

Colt45-

Great to hear from you! We are getting there as well. 1 Chemo to go! Then going to Cape May for a long weekend at the end of the month for a breather. Thanks for showing me the way! Best of luck to the both of you and KICK ARSE!!

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited October 2013

Colt, so glad you and your wife are doing well! Kick arse, my friend!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited October 2013
    Colt45 - so glad you checked in and that things are going well.

JDB53 - awesome only 1 treatment left and things seem to be going ok

I have a question to tamoxifen users. I've been on 4 months now - quit smoking when diagnosed, and my blood pressure is ridiculous!!! Quitting smoking should & did bring my bp down until I started this crappy drug.

Today, for the 1st time after 4 months of use, I had a very bizarre episode of dizziness & nausea and a spike in bp 156/96.

Has anyone had any similar experience? Don't want to freak & call MO, but I still don't feel 100% a few hrs later.
  • NisaVilla
    edited October 2013

Colt - best wishes to you and wife.

Misgumbas - you doing better today?

Momand2kids - Hi back! Nice you are here.

Gardengumby - thanks for info on Biotin. i should consider adding that supplement.

NotSelf - Nice supplement regimen. Mine is pretty close to yours. GREAT news you did so well on Arimidex for so long. What could have gone wrong after 4 years? I was getting overwhelmed by reading so many bad news about Arimidex on a thread so I took a break from the forum.

Hope everyone is well. Six weeks PFC and things are going pretty good.

Hugs to all....Nisa

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited October 2013
    Nisa - yes I am feeling better. Thank you - ended up with a stomach bug :(

Glad things are going well for you
  • JDB53
    edited October 2013

Good morning all. We are sitting in infusion waiting room going in for last chemotherapy treatment! Another hurdle jumped. Hope everyone is doing well.

• clwhetstone
    clwhetstone Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2013

HAPPY DANCE I remember that day!!!!! It is such a hurdle. Please remind her that the SE will all be a distant memory in about 2 weeks... She's got this! Congrats to you both!!!!!

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited October 2013

Joe, that is so great! Soon you both will feel like you have your lives back! And you will!

• NisaVilla
    edited October 2013

Joe - Big day for you guys! You deserve a huge prize...what an amazing husband you are!

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited October 2013
    Congratulations! I remember that day!
  • colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 382
    edited October 2013

Joe, another step forward, outta this mess! Bless you and your wife.

Selena: ALWAYS good to see you.

Ruthbru: thank you for always taking an interest in my wife's journey. You have been kind and encouraging.

Rocket: there is just an indescribable warmth I get when I read you speaking to me. You are a dear comfort.

Nisa, Mjsgumbas and Momand2kids and all the wonderful people here who have been kind and supportive, thank you again.