Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited April 2014

Oh, that sounds like so much fun! Enjoy every minute and report back!

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited April 2014

Ruth - Your quiet role-modeling got me into the gym and is allowing me to think I can climb this thing. So thank you!  Hopefully I will return with all my bones intact :)

• ruthbru
    edited April 2014

Nissa (and anyone else who wants exercise buddies), come over to the 'Lets Post Our Daily Exercise' thread in the Fitness Forum. We have lots of fun there!

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2014

Ruth - I looked at the exercise thread once and found it a bit intimidating. Everyone sounded like they truly loved exercising. I don't but I appreciate the advantages, especially now on Arimidex.  My comittment level is very average: I walk uphill on the treadmill for 45 minutes, do a few more things like rowing, and then quickly sit at a table, drink tea, and talk to strangers, ha!  Last week someone talked me into attending a Zumba class...OMG! I will peek the thread again and see if I am not too intimidated by the women there, thanks!

• JDB53
    JDB53 Member Posts: 139
    edited April 2014

Nisa,

That's great!  Enjoy!!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited April 2014

Nisa - awesome way to celebrate all that you've been through!!!!! I'll will toast you tonight when I get home from work!!!!!  Hoping that things are getting easier for you and that every day you feel better and stronger!  You must be, wanting to tackle Machu Pichu!  I am so jealous!!!!  You will forever be in my thoughts and prayers, since our anniversaries are 1 day apart!!!  I hope to one day get to meet you in person too!  Hope you share some pictures!  I was just saying a few days ago, I want to put that on my list of "must do's".  That list gets longer every day - need to win the lotto!!! Happy

All the best and hugs to you!!!  Here's to many more healthy years ahead!!!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2014

Some love exercise & some are just doing it for their health & like the encouragement, some start not liking it too much and then get hooked. Here is my exercise question Smile:

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited April 2014

nisa - there is another exercise thread for those easing in, here is the link:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/58/topic/803770?page=36#idx_1063

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2014

SoecialK - lthanks for link. I got daring and visited the athletes'corner/thread. They  all seem to have so much fun there. 

Ruth - that's me on the pic! 

Joe - thanks! Alice's big day is coming up.

Mjsgumbas - TOMORROW is YOUR BIG DAY!   Happy 1st cancerversary!!  I will be at your party in spirit reminding you of all the things we survived at about the same time.  Have a wonderful tine with family and friends!!  I look forward to one day meeting you in person! Hugs and lots of good health ahead!

Nisa

• mjsgumbas
    edited April 2014

Thank you Nisa!!! 

And a VERY special "Thank You" to all of you on this thread!!!  Without all of your support, I couldn't have gotten thru this!  You were all a wealth of information and shoulders to lean on, when I had my bad days!  I'm so glad I logged on here - it was probably the biggest part of getting to acceptance in this process.  Family & friends are great - but unless they've lived it, they truly don't get it.  You all have been my rock - once again "THANK YOU"SillyHeart 

Hugs to all!!!!

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2014

Now go and celebrate. You are allowed to cheat today!  I did yesterday and it felt good- not a dark green thing on my plate other than a salad, ha! 

I agree about having found rocks to lean on here. As we gain "seniority" on this thread, my goal is to hang out here for others as well. I am just so tankful for the "oldies" here, the ones that showed us the light at the end of the chemo-tunnel.

Nice weekend to all!  Hugs,Nisa

• ruthbru
    edited April 2014

Congratulations mjs! I second Nisa's advice to party! ThumbsUp

• mjsgumbas
    edited April 2014

Thank u Ruth & Nisa! Boy did we party!!!! Ended up with 35 people, it was a beautiful evening to be outside by the fire with great friends. I took the time to tell each one how thankful I was for all they've done for me this last year. It was very emotional and cleansing! Then we ate & drank until 4am!!  Total success! They want me to celebrate every year - lol

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2014

That party sounds awesome!! The fire and the thank-yous and cleansing, and the weather and the staying up till 4am!  You're gonna have to go even bigger next year and will end up in the early morning TV news!

Let me know if you ever come West... I'd love to celebrate with you!

Hugs, Nisa

• lonnie713
    lonnie713 Member Posts: 131
    edited April 2014

Specialk,

I am on the hunt for biotin and found one that states that it doesn't contain soy, but it does contain soy bean oil?????  I didn't purchase it.  Would you or anyone else on here know what the difference is?  Thanks.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2014

I don't know about soy oil, but soy lectin is in lots of things & when I researched it (long ago, so I can't remember any of the details), it was okay.

• specialk
    edited April 2014

Lonnie - I avoid soy for more than breast cancer issues - the majority of soy grown in the US is GMO, which I don't eat, so I look for supplements that do not contain soy in any form.  Here is a link, but I can get this locally in a health and supplements store.  I believe that soy lecithin content in supplements is pretty minimal so it is not thought to be harmful or necessarily avoided.  Here is a previous thread on this specific subject also linked.

http://www.worldwidelabs.com/products_vitamins/Biotin.php

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/79/topic/743525

• lonnie713
    lonnie713 Member Posts: 131
    edited April 2014

Specialk, thank you so much

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842
    edited April 2014

Hi Everyone

I had my lumpectomy on the 15th of April and the path report showed involvement in 2 of the 3 nodes so now I have to have a CT scan tomorrow with my mastectomy (I want it out!) scheduled for May 6th. I am now stage 2b and praying for a clean scan so I can get going on treatment and kick this bc to the curb. 

I envy those of you with 0 node involvement, my MO and BS are telling me not to worry, but I'm really tired of all the "test results' episodes I have to go through. I went from stage 1 "you're two steps from the cure with no chemo" to "wellll we gotta little bit of drama to go through, but we are still thinking cure"

Pray for me that I have a clean scan tomorrow!!!

• mjsgumbas
    edited April 2014

Homemom - sorry u had to join us - but welcome!! I too was believed to be stage 1 but opted for BMX right away & had immediate implants. Tumor was larger than expected that put me into stage 2 & had 1+ node so i was glad to get it done! Had oncotype of 12 so no chemo. I know what u mean, just get it out and no more detours. Hope all goes well & know u have a great support group here!!

• homemom
    edited April 2014

mj - I'm not sure they are sending out the oncotype test since my nodes were positive. My MO didn't mention it to me. Did you have a CT scan? Did you have it in both breasts? My right breast shows no evidence of even a cyst. 

Thank you for your response

Did anyone else get a scan after having positive nodes? My MO said they want to make sure they don't miss anything. I'm pretty freaked out right now.

• smrlvr
    smrlvr Member Posts: 117
    edited April 2014

Homemom, I understand completely how you feel. I remember all the testing and such.  It is the worst part of this whole experience, really.  I had my scans before the BMX and they were clear.  I didn't find out about my nodes until I woke up,from surgery.  I was freaked out too.  In many ways I still am.  But I am here to tell you tomorrow is my final day of radiation.  I made it, and you will too.  We are here for you.  You are in my prayers.

• mjsgumbas
    edited April 2014

Homemom - I did not have CT scan. I had the cancer on the right & a micromet to 1 node. They didn't initially do the oncotype but my MO decided to try & see even with 1 node. After BMX left was perfectly clear. I know you are freaked, but as smrlvr said - you too will get thru this. ((((Hugs))))

• homemom
    edited April 2014

Thank you both of you. It seems each BS and MO have their own mo's. My BS told me at my first biopsy consult that my receptors were good, and if my nodes were clear they would send the specimen out to Cali for the Oncotype test. I have not heard about that test taking place so I'm not sure it is being done. My now plan is to have the mastectomy and then chemo to follow along with rads on my nodes afterward. 

My MO said that if anything showed up on the scan she would want to put off the surgery and go straight to chemo.  {{{{{HUGS}}}}} for everyone!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2014

Hang in there. You are in the worst part. Once you know what is going on & get a game plan, then you just do it and get it over with. Sending you a cyber-hug!

• specialk
    edited April 2014

homemom - I had a pre-chemo PET scan after finding two positive nodes - not micromets.  I also had a post-chemo PET scan, and another at one year after treatment.

Oncotype Dx was originally done only on ER+, node negative because the assumption was that if you were node positive you were proceeding to chemo.  For a while some MOs have been sending Oncotype Dx for 1-3 positive nodes, but I am not sure how much data has been collected about outcomes for those who are node positive and getting a score because it is a pretty recent change.  Some MOs will not submit a sample for Oncotype if you are node positive.

• homemom
    edited April 2014

Thanks for the answers guys. I go today for a pet scan - one more life or death diagnosis. I had the SNB and they took three. Of the three, two were positive and one had scant cells. Now I'm worried there are more involved and one of them was macromet = went a little outside the node or was trying to according to my bs. I really should read everything on this website. One woman with mets to the bones said she had no symptoms....I have zero issues other then the obvious. My MO said even with mets they can manage it, not cure it, but manage it. I can't go there! I want to stay in THIS forum :)

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited April 2014

It's my understanding that the Oncotype now applies for those with up to 1-3 positive nodes http://breast-cancer.oncotypedx.com/en-US.

My BS sent out for the test before any treatment was started. At that time no lymph nodes were suspected according to imaging (MRI and US). Then after my lumpectomy they discovered micromets on the one sentinel node that was removed. Thankfully, there was no further nodal involvement after my BMX. Even though it was done before my micromets were discovered, all my docs still point to my Oncotype as the main indicator for recurrence. I think all women with DCIS and invasive breast cancer should have this test to help determine their treatment plan.

Just saw this... patient stories on that website might help some of the newly diagnosed women here - you might want to check it out: http://www.genomichealth.com/en-US/OncotypeDX/Pat...

• specialk
    edited April 2014

Oncotype Dx is only available for ER+ so not everyone with invasive BC can have it done.  Mammoprint can be used regardless of the hormonal receptor status, and it tests for a broader genetic profile. There is also an Oncotype Dx specifically for DCIS that is a recurrence predictor independent of chemo since that is not applicable for DCIS.

Bc101 - not all oncs feel that Oncotype Dx is accurate for node positive patients, and will not submit for the test.  Since many regard a micromet in the SNB as node negative, someone node positive macro or ENE presents a far different picture. Insurance companies are far less likely to pay several thousand dollars for patients who are much more likely to require chemo.

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325
    edited April 2014

ER positive with 1-3 nodes is being researched through a clinical trial. RxPONDER.  I am qualified for the clinical trial and landed in the control group which is chemo, whatever, regimen your MO prescribes.  The other arm is tamoxifen. I finished round 1 14 days ago.  Hair coming out by the fistfuls and being shaved tonight.