Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited June 2014

SpecialK - I always learn something new here.  I didn't know about taking Claritan for Neulasta infusions.  I was simply told to take extra strength Tylenol.  It was a while ago, but my medical center where I received treatments wasn't helpful about dietary guidelines or these types of instructions.  I use to refer to them as McChemo center for drive through chemo infusions.  Move the patients in - then move them out - next patient please.  I learned more here and got support here from asking and reading posts. 

• JoeysMommy
    JoeysMommy Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2014

Good Morning everyone,  My name is Dawn, I am a 48year old single Mom with a 10year old Juvenile Diabetic Amazing Son and I am new to the Breast Cancer world ... After having a biopsy at the end of March I was diagnosed with IDC in my right breast ~ after lumpectomy on May 19th I received confirmation of 2.2cm stage IIB grade 3 with a 1mm spot in first lymph node second was clear.  Surgery of tumor produced all clear margins and I am currently preparing for chemo/radiation/tamoxafen treatment.  I just had a chest/abdomen/pelvis CT scan yesterday and Friday will have and echocardiogram and bone scan.  I was already told I will do 4 rounds of Adriamycin & Cytoxan then 12 weeks (1per week) of Taxol prior to radiation.    I am curious to find out why when I read posts on this site regarding lymph nodes some women say 1/24 or 2/12 mine is 1/2 is there a reason why so many lymph nodes are taken when only one node is positive..  Just want to be sure I had enough taken.  I was told they take first one and if it is positive they go to the next and so on,  my second node was negative so they only removed 2.   I wish everyone here strength, courage and good health before during and after treatment ~  Hope you all find something to celebrate and have a beautiful day today :)

• cp418
    edited June 2014

JoeysMommy - back when I was dx 2006, it was common to take a cluster of lymph nodes. I had 1/18 removed.  In the past few years, this technique has changed to be more conservative and only take minimal nodes as needed.  This is to avoid any future lymphedema complications.  If you GOOGLE this topic you should come across those recent news articles.  The breast cancer field for treatment is always updating their procedure methods and treatments.  Best Wishes during your treatments.

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2014

Joeysmommy, with me they took out level 1 and level 2 nodes because they already could tell that it had spread from my MRI, biopsy, and one was palpable. They went right in and took so many out because they didn't know how far it had spread.

• Xrayalli
    Xrayalli Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2014

Joeys mommy- The nodes that come out the first time are your sentinel nodes. If those are positive then often you have to decide whether the axillary nodes should be removed and checked for cancer cells. I had 5 sentinel nodes out, one was positive and it had macromets and another smaller lesion. So I decided to have the rest out for I wanted to know if more nodes were involved. This is a decision you and your surgeon discuss, everyone's end decision will vary greatly. I had 14 more out, all negative for cancer. Welcome to the boards and we are here to help :)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited June 2014

Welcome Joeysmom!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2014

cp418 - Claritin is thought to work by reducing the edema that forms in the bone marrow from the overproduction of white cells after the Neulasta injection.  Here is the link to the study:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01311336

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited June 2014

I thought the group was being too quiet but my email notification got reversed again! I'm fixing that.

Missing - wishing all went well for you today. I echo everyone's advice and good wishes. I hope above all that you have family or friends to help you during chemo.  Perhaps some rough days ahead but keep in mind that chemo cures many cancers!   Yesterday was my one year anniversary of my first chemo. Soon enough you will be celebrating your first year out.  Wish I could bring you yummy soup to the infusion center.  The worst day is now behind you and now you will be able to predict a bit more for the next cycle. Hugs

Ruth - your story with the exercise equipment reminded me of a similar situation:  debating at Banana Republic over a full-priced jacket for work. I seldom buy full-priced anything but I did what you did - decided to buy it even if I were to wear it only one time. Funny that when I got to the register, the price had been reduced l30% LOL. 

SoecialK - thanks for posting as you do. I have learned so much from you and Ruth in the past year.  

I am wondering about msjgumbas - where are you girl?  

Hugs, Nisa

• missingmercury
    missingmercury Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2014

Thanks all.  I am sure my experience yesterday was better being prepared by you all.  Ruthbru, you are right.  I had a light headache all night and was out of Tylenol, but took an advil.  I am buying Tylenol as it is better for me.  Mostly right now I just feel off, which I call oogly.

I am doing a/c once every three weeks, 4 rounds.  After the infusion they did two pushed(?) of the red stuff. Adriamycin.  When the four rounds are done I will do 12 weeks of t/h, 1 dose every week, 3 cycles (4 weeks long).  The VA is awesome.  They gave me a lot of information on side effects, a chemo companion book and a short illustrated book by a woman about her hair loss that was informational and funny.  Also, anyone who is there over lunch gets lunch served.

I will say I am so happy they could draw the blood from my port.  I got there, got hooked up to an port access, then IV while it was run.  Those 'portless' had to go down to get blood drawn.

I do have one question though;  I am not normally talkative.  For about 4-5 hours after treatment I was a super chatterbox.  My brother thought I was high.  Anyone else have this happen?

Welcome Joeysmom.  I had the same diagnosis in Feb and a slightly smaller mass, but also one sentinel node with a spot.  I opted not to do ALND.  I sweated that decision, but feel right now it is best for me.  CScan and bone scan we clear, though couple small spots in my lungs, but that is not totally surprising as there is a lot of mold in the upper Miami valley.  They will keep an eye on them just in case.  Hope you are doing well.

I have a wig consult, but have decided to get a short haircut as it is hot and humid right now.  I probably wont wear a wig until it gets cooler.  We'll see.  Maybe to work.

• jdboct
    jdboct Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2014

hi Missing,

Did they give you steroids?   That will make you feel that way!

• specialk
    edited June 2014

missing - they give you steroids in the pre-meds, they can make you talkative and sleepless.  I used that extra energy to clean and cook because I knew that within a couple of days I would not feel like doing either!

• ruthbru
    edited June 2014

Yes, it's the steroids. I felt like a ADHD kid must feel without his/her medications....jumpy, jumpy.

True story: Two friends of mine were doing chemo at the same time & the DH of one had driven them to their appointments (in a different town). Afterwards the ladies wanted to do a little shopping. Talking about it later, the DH shook his head and said, "You haven't really been shopping until you've gone shopping with two women on steroids." Ha!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited June 2014

Nisa - I'm still here!  I read every post, but haven't added my 2 cents.  Just staying busy busy busy... as Ruth said so well - Living and enjoying!!  Didn't get to do too much last summer, so boy are we making up for it this year.

Like you said Nisa - it's amazing how different things are a year later!  What seemed like the end of the world is so much better now.  Couldn't have done it without people like Ruth & SpecialK and their support and advice!!

Missing - wishing you well and hope you fair well through the weeks ahead!  This group is great for cyber hand holding & hugs

Joeysmom - you have found a great group here!

Hope all who are thru treatment are enjoying summer!!  We have not had a down weekend since Easter!!!  Hosting the 4th, then shooting at my friends 80 acre farm for a few days, then a 12 motorcycle ride to the Mighty Mississippi... I'm tired already just thinking about the next 3 weekends - but very excited to be out making up for lost time!!! 

Hugs to all!!!

• specialk
    edited June 2014

ruth - that is hilarious!

• missingmercury
    edited June 2014

Ruth, that is funny.  Yes, steroids in the premed and a 3 day prescript for after.  I am home for an hour after going to work this morning.  I sneezed and what would normally be manageable at work, turned into leakage.  blah!  I am within that 48 hours of special handling of my bodily fluids.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2014

Miss, I kept working during chemo & did my infusions on Fridays so that I could just go home & feel creepy for two of those first three heavy-duty anti-nausea drug days. If you work Monday-Friday, you might want to consider switching to Fridays too.

• NisaVilla
    edited June 2014

Miss, most women on this board go through chemo with no issues.

My hard time was on days 5-7. I had few but nasty SEs,  with neuropathy and fluid retention the 2 most bothersome. First time in my life I had a round face, and it was not a cute round face, it was where-did-my-eyes-go face.

Whatever you encounter, we are here for you!

Hugs, Nisa

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2014

Hi all.  Just popping in - don't really have anything to say, and I should be vacuuming, so think I'll go do that.  :)  

Oh - in regards the axillary lymph.  It sounds like now they will take out fewer than all of them?  When I had my mastectomy in late 2010, they said they couldn't remove only a few - it had to be the whole "package" and there were 19 in mine.  2 of them were positive.  (They already knew the cancer had gotten there, as that was discovered during diagnosis.  

• NisaVilla
    edited June 2014

Hi Garden!

Just saying hello while waiting for my appt. Yes the node excision philosophy is changing, and quickly. How is life on Femara?  

Hugs, Nisa

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2014

wish it would have changed before Dec 2010! I literally BEGGED them not to take all my lymph nodes.  I was at the cutting edge cancer clinic in Seattle (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance) which is the treatment arm of Fred Hutchinson... anyway they said no way.  They all have to come out. I'm fortunate that I don't have lympheda (knock on wood) but it's so frustrating to have only one arm available for so many things.  Also they want to do shoulder replacement on my right arm. Of course my mastectomy/no lymph side is my left.   aarrrrgh too frustrating!

Femara... Well, the best SE is being alive with no cancer... :). I'm definitely looking forward to being able to stop taking the stuff November 1, 2016...  

• missingmercury
    edited June 2014

Thanks Ruth and Nisa.  I am hearing from others also that I may not have 'bad' days and one person give smart advice to not assume I will as that could make my more symptomatic.  I did have a bit of chemo brain at work.  It wasn't normal of me to substitute words in a sentence.  I don't even want to talk about using a public bathroom with no lid the 48 hours you need to watch your bodily fluid and clean up any flush splashes.  I am not a messy person and try to be considerate in bathroom, but I wiped it down so many times, that when I went in there late afternoon and someone left a mess, I was pissed.  lol

So this may or may not have been a chemo brain decision, but at lunch got my hair cut short.  It was past my shoulders.  Someone had said she did that thinking seeing short hair instead of your long hair falling out was less traumatic.  I know not everyone loses there hair or all their hair, but  I have had it short before just not in a long time.  Plus it is hot and muggy in the Midwest right now and there you go.  A 5am, can't sleep ramble.

Good morning ladies.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2014

Well, 99.999999% of people doing AC lose their hair, so you might as well plan on it. It was a good move to get it cut short now. I don't know if that will make it less traumatic to you, but at least not such a drastic change for others. I think you said you ordered a wig? That is good to have in place ahead of time (I found I needed to wear one for ME) & also some cute scarves, hats etc.

• Helenna
    Helenna Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2014

Just jumping in to say hi, my surgery was last week, got one drain out yesterday and the other one will probably be Monday. 

Trying to take things one phase at a time, we meet with my BS next week so wanted to ask if there are any questions in particular you think we should be sure to ask? After that I probably won't see her for quite some time I'd guess. I think they will give us the name of a MO but no one has said anything about chemo yet, other than hormone therapy for years. I had 0/9 nodes and margin on breast tissue was clear.

Glad I found you guys!

• cp418
    edited June 2014

I have to agree getting it cut shorter did help some.  I had shoulder length hair and initially had it cut to a shorter pixie style.  When I noticed a lot of hair on my pillow and handfuls coming out in the shower -- too much misery.  I went back and got a buzz cut.  At that point, I knew I officially was in the chemo journey.

• teachermom4
    teachermom4 Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2014

Hi Helenna---sounds like you are on the road to recovery! It is such a relief to start getting drains out, isn't it? It looks like you and I have a similar diagnosis--one question you should ask your MO is about getting Oncotype testing to help determine whether or not chemo would be beneficial. 

I had one follow up with BS about three weeks after surgery and now just my MO and PS.

Be sure to continue to take good care of yourself and heal!

• NisaVilla
    edited June 2014

Hi Helebba!  Sounds like you are recovering fast - hooray. My only suggestion is to ask your surgeon for a copy of the final biopsy report.  And I agree that getting an Oncotype would be great.  I wish you no chemo and continued recovery!

Teachermom4; -  Nice to meet you!

Msjgumbas -So nice you are around!  You are living the life girl! I have never ridden on a motorcycle...putting that on bucket list now LOL.  Great trip and keep in touch

It is Friday! Nice weekend to all.

Nisa

• missingmercury
    edited June 2014

Hi Helenna.  I couldn't wait to get those nasty drains out.  I had mine for a few weeks.

I'm nauseous enough this morning to take an anti nausea pill.  I crashed last night after work, but had been up since 4am with insomnia.  I also called the chemo nurses yesterday due to a sore throat.  She said it might have been due to dry mouth, but to call if it hurt to swallow or was red.  I spayed in some mouth moisturizer and now the soreness is gone.

I have an order for a consult on the wig and an appt to go get fitted for a prosthetic bra.

Happy weekend all!

• jdboct
    edited June 2014

Missing,

My wife had sore throats and mouth sores. I think she used Biotin and that helped alot.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2014

Biotene has some wonderful mild toothpaste, mouthwash, and other oral care products, it is what my dentist recommended I use during chemo (I liked the mouthwash so much that I still use it).

• jdboct
    edited June 2014

Yes that's it Biotene. I think Biotin is for hair growth so one should not gargle with that!