Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited July 2014

hi girls hope you are all going well. I will give you a bit of background on my story. I was like a lot of you went in with 1 diagnosis and came out with a slightly more complicated one. I had IV in my veins and it is a bit hard now to have blood tests as they are so wiry now. I had IV vit C before and after chemo to help my immune system I found it very beneficial . I also take various vitamins that are recommended by a natural doctor. I had 3 different types of BC and about to clock up 6 years so there is always hope. Purple I think triple neg has the advantage of rarely coming back after 5 years not like the hormone one that is very sneaky. It can come back even after 5 or more years which is why we take hormone blockers I guess. On another note terrible news about the Malaysian plane being shot down in the Ukraine it had been on our news all day. It is very cold here in a Bendigo at the moment as we are in the middle of winter. Our city is a beautiful gold rush city about 1/1/2 hours north from Melbourne 

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited July 2014

missing - hope you have a safe trip & enjoy your time with your daughter! 

• missingmercury
    missingmercury Member Posts: 156
    edited July 2014

I'm looking forward to it.  She is thrilled to be where they film 'Walking Dead'.  I am looking forward to the Coca Cola museum, but not sure what else to see there.  Very excited to spend time with both my daughters.

There are spots of head stubble that are driving me crazy.  Argh.

• slappy-squirrel
    slappy-squirrel Member Posts: 199
    edited July 2014

missingmercy,

The laser light show on Stone Mountain is pretty good.  Take a blanket and a picnic and lay back and see the lasers projected on the mountain. And the aquarium  in Atlanta is pretty nice.

Shirley

• Purplegurll
    Purplegurll Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2014

missingmercy, I live just outside of Atlanta and the above suggestions of places to visit are good ones. We especially like the laser light show at Stone Mountain. There is also the World of Coca Cola (kind if cool, you get to sample favors of Coke from all over the world and Lake Lanier Islands which has a water park as well. Enjoy your visit here! 

Delvzy, you are right I think on triple negative. There is a higher risk if recurrence in the first 3-5 years vs. other BC but less risk after that time. With that said, I had triple negative DCIS in 2008 (lumpectomy and radiation)  and then developed a new primary triple negative tumor same breast five and a half years out. Sigh. 

• mjsgumbas
    edited July 2014

Hi Sisters... need to lean on you guys today - very sad, sad, sad day... my friend found out her final pathology after her brain tumor was removed yesterday.  Stage IV glioblastoma - couldn't stop crying for her and her beautiful family yesterday.  She is my age... just turned 42 with 4 beautiful kids.  It breaks my heart all she is going to go thru (because she is prepared to fight) but the outlook is not good.  Deep inside I hope she'll be one of the very few that pulls off a miracle.  I was wondering if any of you know a good support site, besides the what next site???  I already recommended that, but was hoping there is somewhere she can go like this.

Thanks for your help!!!  (((((((HUGS))))))) to all!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,590
    edited July 2014

I am so, so sorry about your friend, mjs. I just googled 'glioblastoma support groups' and it looks like there are some out there (including a Facebook page). The one thing with a diagnosis like that, is that the groups are apt to be very sad and might make her feel even worse (I would for sure preview them yourself before recommending them). I say this because good friend of mine had been diagnosed with cancer of the appendix (very rare & very fatal), when I was doing some research for her & looked for support groups online, mostly everyone who had been posting on their support site had died.....so I didn't tell her to check them out.....I figured she would find them on her own if it would be comforting/helpful to her, but I surely didn't know if it would be or not......

Be her friend, treat her normally, let her lead the conversations as to how she wants to deal with it before making any sort of recommendations. Hugs back to you too!

• mjsgumbas
    edited July 2014

Thank you Ruth - you always have great advice.  Never even thought about all the negatives... although there are some threads here that can be negative - but those I just avoid.

I'd planned on waiting and following her lead.  It's just hard - I'd love for her to be able to find a wonderful, positive support system like we have here!

Thanks again... will just wait patiently, ready to hold her hand in any way she needs.

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited July 2014

mjsgumbas, i am sorry about your friend, she so young n she only 2 years older than me.  it breaks my heart  to know that her n her kids going thru this.  yes i am praying she is one of the very few pulls of miracle.  she have such a good friend like  you to be byside at this difficult time.  

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited July 2014

Mjs - I am so so sorry about your friend, her family, and your heartbreak as a good friend to her.  I simply cannot imagine what you all are going through. But I can tell you that my mom was 44 (I was 10) when diagnosed with stage IV cancer.  What helped most at the time was the support from family and friends.  Support sometimes took the form of small sweet gestures, like someone dropping off nice cream for us kids.  Or anything that brought a bit of sunshine to a series of dark days as treatment began.  Not talking or hearing about cancer was always a welcome break from reality. Also, some teachers were amazing in providing love and containment during the stressful months of treatment. I too hope for a miracle for your friend, and lots of support for everyone involved.  As for you dear Sister, we are here holding your hand as you hold your friend's hand.  Hugs, Nisa

• mjsgumbas
    edited July 2014

soriya123 - thank you so much for your kind words

Nisa - thank you too for sharing your experience. It warms my heart to have all of you wonderful ladies to lean on. I now know what family and friends felt last April when I faced my diagnosis. I swear it almost feels harder to be on the outside. As the patient, you know what you have to do, set your mind & go. As family & friends we feel helpless. But I'll never forget the visits, food, treats, company & laughs without discussion of surgery and the C word that my family & friends provided. 

Thank you all again for listening - I may be leaning on you all again soon. I love having all of you for all kinds of support - not just BC. (((((Big Hugs))))

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2014

mjs - so sorry you find yourself  being sad - it is so very difficult to watch someone you care for go through this - I lost both my dad and brother to stage IV cancer, it is a challenge to stay centered.  You have an advantage having had your own experience, and I love nisa's comment - we will hold your hand as you hold hers.

• missingmercury
    edited July 2014

Big hug MJS.  So sad.  I am 50 and the thought of leaving my girls is one of the scariest parts of cancer.

Shirley and Purplegurll, looking forward to the visit.  Coca Cola world is a must.  My grandpa was a retired Coca Cola bottler.  Stone mountain sounds cool.  I am just looking forward to time with my babies, but it is vaca, so need some fun.

I am having that time the week after a/c when my mouth is funky.  blech

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited July 2014

mjs...lean on us at anytime! we are all here to support each other :) 

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2014

So sorry about your friend. It's so hard to comprehend someone so young getting this kind of DX. It is esp gut wrenching that she has children too. I don't think there are very many people who either have the C word or know someone who does. I had a friend whose melanoma came back with a vengeance. He passed away months after the DX. He called me crying. The pain and grief from that phone call will always haunt me. 

I do believe in miracles. There are amazing stories out there from survivors who beat the odds. Not being Pollyanna but more of the "don't ever give up" speech by Jimmy V. 

I agree don't direct her to sites that would add to her depression. Those people have permission to be fatalistic...sadly. 

Her children are scared just like she is and her DH. One of my son's friends lost his mother a few years ago to cancer. She was 53. He was so incredibly brave through it all. It broke my heart. 

You are a good friend. Just be there for her. Let her direct your conversations. I think trying to keep the kids as positive and upbeat as possible is a great idea. 

Praying for her and her family. 

Diane

• mjsgumbas
    edited July 2014

Thank you ladies for all you kind words!  I know many of you held my had last year.... it's a great feeling to know I can reach out & you're still there... and new hands too!!!

Missing - hope you have a great trip and spend some well deserved time with your daughter!!  Enjoy!

On a happier note - the motorcyle ride last weekend was wonderful!  It was great feeling the sun beaming down, the beautiful breeze and watching the rolling hills of NW Illinois go by.  We couldn't have asked for better weather -  10 bikes, good food, great friends, LOTS of laughs and a few "brewskies" - it was awesome!  Can't wait to do it again next year!

• mjsgumbas
    edited July 2014

Going to visit my friend tomorrow, bringing a homemade mexican spread (we are polish - lol) & her favorite Mike's lemonade with a smile on our faces - to swim, laugh & be together!!! Can't wait to hug her!!!

Hope you all enjoy your weekend!!

• missingmercury
    edited July 2014

Thanks MJS.  I am looking forward to it and the few days off of vaca before I go.  Very stressed right now.  I did go to the zoo yesterday with some friends and took some family photos of them.  It was fun and we left before I got tired.

• NisaVilla
    edited July 2014

Mjs - Glad to read you had so much fun on your trip last week. Long motorcycle ride is now on my bucket list.  Is there such a thing as a bike rental, like a car rental?  I don't see my hubby riding so I will need to rent a chauffeur too lol!

I hope you all had a nice time yesterday. I'm amazed your friend had energy for visitors, even if they bring a Polish-Mexican dish!  

At my end, I had my 3-mo Onco visit.  MO does not like the pervasive deep pain I have had for months and I agreed to a PET scan in 2 weeks.  I will also need another surgery to replace my gummie bear implants, but I'm going to push this out so I can enjoy the rest of the summer!

MIssing - hope you are enjoying your trip and especially your daughters! 

Hugs to all, Nisa

• mjsgumbas
    edited July 2014

Nisa - that stinks you have to replace your gummies.  We did enough healing last summer - so I don't blame you for waiting!!!  If it's not too intrusive - why do you have to replace them?   Keep us posted on the pet scan.  Hopefully it isn't any big deal.  Plenty of people told me that it takes atleast a year, but realistically 2 years, to feel like yourself again after all these surgeries.... so hopefully your issue has something to do with still healing!!

Yes, you can rent motorcycles - we have in Vegas, which is a beautiful place to ride!!!  You do need your M license to rent.  I can always find someone willing to chauffeur  :)  We have lots of friends who ride!!  Looking forward to the next trip - New Orleans in September!!!  I don't think I'll ever pass up a chance to get away any more!!!

Missing - hoping you are enjoying your trip and feeling good!

• ruthbru
    edited July 2014

Let us know how it goes, Nisa.

• NisaVilla
    edited July 2014

Mjs -  the reason for changing implants is they are too close together and a too tight.   The shape and feel are perfect and I'm a bit afraid this change could result in new problems. I was a small B prior and was given a large B. I asked for same size but surgeon went ffor a bit bigger.  I need to visit the reconstruction thread and read up on whether a change will be worth the trouble of more time under the knife. Are you happy with yours?

Ruth - I will keep you posted.  Where are you going next... Ms Travel :)

From the low traffic on this thread, I like to think everyone is out and about having a great summer.

• mjsgumbas
    edited July 2014

Nisa - I was a B also and now PS made me a full D.  I know what you mean them being odd.  Mine are not too close but they are wide - if that makes sense.  I have natural looking cleavage with the Soma bras I bought.  There was alot of trial & error finding the right bra to get a nice look.  I am really happy with how mine turned out, even though there was a lot of stretching involved and fear of skin dying issues... I think you have to be happy more than anything.  Hope it won't be a major recovery and you'll feel better. 

• ruthbru
    edited July 2014

Summer is finally being really nice here, so I know I am enjoying it anyway!

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited July 2014

My implants are the same size as my normal breasts were but don't feel as soft and flexible as normal breasts . In a dress they seem to stick out more and I find the dress harder to zip up. In aust here it is freezing with wild winds . We don't get  snow here in Northern Victoria but it has been forecast !

• missingmercury
    edited July 2014

I am not doing recon yet, but the PS I saw seemed more interested in his idea of proportion and making assumptions as to what I would be happy with.  I do not want to be a large D again.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2014

delvzy - I just looked up Bendigo, my dad was from Ringwood - not too far!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2014

I did a DIEP recon.  I asked to be a size C.  What do I have?  DD.  The PS said he didn't want to have to reduce my other breast too much - in the long run, I think I'm glad, because I didn't lose hardly any feeling in the reduced breast, but I so much wanted to be smaller.  In fact I'm not exactly certain how much he reduced as opposed to simply tightened stuff up...  :)  And, of course, I don't want to be smaller enough to be willing to go under the knife again....

Nisa - let us know how you are doing. 

I've been taking a break from BCO, as I was too down in the dumps for a bit.  But I'm back now, so y'all will just have to put up with me.  :)

• NisaVilla
    edited August 2014

Sounds like several of us wanted something and our surgeons decided otherwise! I read other similar stories.  In my case, my surgeon is a beautiful woman so she must have thought she was doing me a favor, ha!  I'm pretty ambivalent about another surgery because I have to decide between a smaller gummies or the older round style that are more prone to rippling...and what do I know about the difference!

Garden - I always go to my stoic friends when I need their strength and to my wimpy friends when I need someone that can relate to my fears.  I'm a wimp so count on me for hugs on bad days either on this thread or PM 💕

• ruthbru
    edited August 2014

Glad to see you back, garden!