Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited August 2015

Hello All - been missing for a bit as life has been crazy!  Been researching and bought a new car - get it tonight!!  Kills me as my van only has 70k on it but it's rusted out so had no choice.  Also been getting my oldest ready for school on Thursday, can't believe he's heading off to live at college, he has Aspergers and some other medical conditions so it's been hard to let go.

I tried to read all the posts I've missed - welcome to the newbies, love and prayers to all who need them, even those who don't!

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited August 2015
    Momado - Hooray for new car. Take me on a ride! Car will come handy to do a lot of shopping therapy after kiddo is off to college. That transition is worse than seeing them off to kindergarten - definitely more expensive and soon you will hear about girlfriends. Sending hugs for Thursday!
  • hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited August 2015
    Enjoy your new car - especially that new car smell!

Thinking of you.
  • PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited August 2015

Re eyelash loss--it's been so long that I don't remember the name (darn it)--but my plastic surgeon offered me this non-toxic liquid that you put on with a tiny brush at the eyelash line. I treated myself to this for one month and it was amazing to see my eyelashes grow. I stopped at one month because it was expensive($100 for a month's supply). It was a very nice treat though to have after the chemo and surgery.

Hugs,

Peggy

• NisaVilla
    edited August 2015
    Hi Peggy - my eyelashes could still use a little help. They were never great so I did not miss them terribly when they were gone. It took a long time - at least a year- for most of them to return. Do you think that experimenting with that product could make them bushy and longer now, almost 2 years post-chemo? Does it come with a breakdown of the chemicals in it?

I have never been a person to think or work too much on my physical self but in the past month,(now I am 3 weeks from my last reconstruction surgery) I have been shopping, exercising, and fiximg myself as if I were single and searching, lol. I am neither.

Thanks so much. Hugs, Nisa
  • specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2015

Was the eyelash product Latisse? It was originally used for glaucoma, but a side effect was longer and fuller lashes. It can cause darker pigmentation in the eye and lash line. Here is the info:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/buysmart/latisse.htm

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited September 2015

Nissa Villa, Special K is right on target. I don't know about ingredients but I do know that it works at any time but only lasts while you are using it. I couldn't continue because it didn't fit into my retiree budget But one month on it made me feel better about my eyelashes and appearance. Again, glad Special K sent you the link. I didn't have that info when I did my one month!

Hugs,

Peggy

• NisaVilla
    edited September 2015
    Thank you both for the follow-up. I think I am going to pass on bushy eyelashes for now. Too expensive for non- permanent effect. There is always the question of what chemicals are being absorbed by the skin. And my biggest fear is hubby not noticing them LoL

• NisaVilla
    edited September 2015

Just checking in and saying hello to this quiet thread. Summer is ending so we should see more activity soon. I hope Mommado recovered from sending her kid off to college. I recommended shopping therapy for the aftermath, especially now that she drives a brand new car. I'm wondering if she is still shopping? LoL. Please post an update 😊. Hugs, Nisa

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,588
    edited September 2015

I am in Boston right now and having a blast!

• hopeful82014
    edited September 2015

Boston sounds wonderful, Ruth! Enjoy it for me, too, please!

Nisa, you and your family are in my thoughts.

• NisaVilla
    edited September 2015

Hi Ruth! Boston this month. Wisconsin in August. North Carolina in July. California in June. And that's all I remember for now. When are you home?! We are going to have to put a chip in you and follow you on a GPS, LoL. You should offer a webinar on how to pack for all those trips! Hug

• NisaVilla
    edited September 2015
    Hopeful - thank you for thinking of me and my brother. He is struggling with memory issues and his emotions are completely shut down. He seems so lost in thought all of the time. Unrecognizable from 6 months ago. Heartbreaking to watch. I am starting to dislike the phrase "quality of life." Hugs
  • mommado
    mommado Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2015

Hi All!  I have survied the college beginning chapter!  We actually did pretty well, I only cried 3 times - once during a session they had at the college that was presented by the counselors, once after leaving him after that session and then one last time as we were saying our final good-bye's.  But he was so excited and enjoying the experience so much that it wasn't that hard to be happy and stop crying!

The new car is awesome!  Got a Kia Sorento and I'm in love with it - hoping to drive this one to over 100k!

We had an interesting first day of school in our town - may have seen it on the national news.  Schools were locked down and a police officer was "shot at".  Whole town was on lockdown that evening and we had swat teams, low flying helicopters and every type of police you can think of.  Ended up the police officer made the entire thing up as did the only "witness", his 17 yr old girlfriend.

How are you all in Boston and I don't know about it?  I live in Millis, about 45mintues from the city, in between 128 and 495.  If anyone has time I'd love to meet up for coffee, drinks or a meal!!

Nisa- I hate the stage your brother is in now, my Dad got like that and it's so painful to watch, you wonder why they have to suffer through all the crap.  I pray for him and keep him in my thoughts all the time.  So much love for you {{{{Hugs}}}

• hopeful82014
    edited September 2015

Nisa, that must be terribly painful for all of you. It's as though you've already lost him but still hope to have moments when you can connect and share your love for him and compassion for what he's going through. I am so, so sorry.

Mommado, I'm glad you survived your son's transition to college so well. Give yourself a big pat on the back. I hadn't heard that about the false incident in your town. What a horrible, dreadful thing for them to do to everyone. That's truly sick and despicable.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2015

I am now home from traveling for awhile. I need to do some substitute teaching to support my travel addiction......or maybe I could be hired by the Boston Tourism Bureau, as I have nothing but really great things to say about their city! What a great trip! Maybe if I ever get a chance to come back, we could meet up, Mommado, and have some chowder (or 'chowdah' as the locals pronounce it Smile).

Nisa, so sorry to hear about your brother's further decline. Thinking about you all during this hard, hard time.

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited September 2015

just an Aussie stage 2 girl popping in to say it's 7 years ned and feeling grateful as I thought I wouldn't make it past 1 year

• 6doggies
    6doggies Member Posts: 66
    edited September 2015

Delvzy, how did you know that I needed to hear that today? Congratulations that is awesome! Today is my last day of treatment and I'm having mixed emotions, glad to be done but also wondering what the future holds and I too didn't think that I would be here now, 11 months later. Thank you so much for sharing, gives me hope!! Heart

• hopeful82014
    edited September 2015

6doggies - Congratulations on finishing treament. Hang in there.

Delvzy - thanks for sharing that. I think many of us needed to hear that!

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited September 2015

6doggies yes you spend that time focusing on your treatment and then suddenly it's all over. I Believe we all end up with a bit of post traumatic stress so we need to be kind to ourselves. I took time out to travel get fit again and gently restore my health

• ruthbru
    edited September 2015

Definitely there is a post-traumatic stress thing that happens at the end of treatment. I think you are thrown into a 'fight mode' upon diagnosis and then you are focused on making it through treatment & are in such close contact with your medical team & (hopefully) your friends & family have been extra nice & attentive to you, and then all of the sudden it's done and the medical people say 'good bye and good luck' (not really, but that's how it feels) and your family & friends want everything to be normal again (which is natural).....and there you are going, "WHF just happened!!!!!!" And it takes awhile to even process it (I don't think I felt even emotionally ready to do so for about a year AFTER I was done with 'active treatment'.....I just stayed so busy that I didn't have time to think deeply about it until then), but what I think helps is to find some ways to MAKE positive things come out of the experience; help somebody else when they are diagnosed, plan & take some trips that you've always dreamed of, get a new pet, volunteer for a cause you believe in, take up the cello, join a theater group, a volleyball team, try yoga, zumba, learn Mandarin Chinese.......whatever things you've always thought might be interesting about but have never done because you were too busy or too worried that you might not be good at it. Also, use the 'cancer card' to get OUT of things that you don't want to do anymore. What I came out of it with is that time is short (even if you live to be really old), health is precious, and that I need to make the most of it. A quote that put it into a good perspective as I was trying to make my way forward is, "It is what it is, it becomes what you make it." Okay, that is the end of my speech. Smile

• momand2kids
    momand2kids Member Posts: 118
    edited September 2015

I have to agree with Ruth here-- her note had me think of what I have done since the end of treatment-- took up piano, joined toastmasters, put my career in a healthy perspective (not trying to grab the brass ring anymore-where I am is ok), volunteered in my community for a couple eof boards, traveled more with h and kids, focused more on relationships--really focused on this… continued to exercise, but lessened the pressure on myself to be perfect about it- 4 days is almost as good as 5 days, continued to be vigilant with health-- follow up, follow up, follow up. This year I am going to undertake a year long spiritual exercise--- well as much as one can do with kids, dog, job…. but I am really focusing on that- putting some of my other activities aside to do this. And finally, I have worked really hard at not letting things get to me--- and there are always things that do, some more serious than others, but I try to keep myself calm, breathe deeply and remind myself that "this too shall pass". It is a lifelong effort. Had a birthday yesterday and it was a beautiful day and I was so glad to be having another one (my 7th since dx)…… I am supremely grateful.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2015

Happy, happy birthday momand2!!!!

• hopeful82014
    edited September 2015

Belated birthday wishes, Momand2kids! Here's to a fulfilling new year for you.

• Kimmer33
    Kimmer33 Member Posts: 90
    edited September 2015

I would just like to check in amd join this group - treatment decisions will be made in the coming weeks amd would love all of your input once I know them! Thank you

• fralaliso
    fralaliso Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2015

Welcome Kimmer! You will find a wealth of knowledge and understanding among the women on this board. Things definitely get better once you have a treatment plan in place.

• 6doggies
    6doggies Member Posts: 66
    edited September 2015

Momand2kids, Belated Happy Happy Birthday!!

Hi Kimmer33, I'm glad that you found this site, it is amazing and there are such wonderful people here. I agree 100% with fralaliso, things are definitely better once you know your treatment plan. When is your next appointment?

• MarieTherese
    MarieTherese Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2015

Hi All

Just wondering if I can join the Stage 2 sisters? Just got my results today and I am stage 2A. Would love advice from any other stage 2A sisters.

I am still recovering from LX and SNB last week and gearing up for round 2- consults start next week

Best

Marie

• ruthbru
    edited September 2015

Welcome Marie, you are still in the worst part. Once you have a treatment plan in place, you can just buckle down and get through it. Hang in there!

• MarieTherese
    MarieTherese Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2015

thanks so much- I am one week post surgery and feeling so down which makes no sense since so far ( other than being upgraded to stage 2 ) I have had very encouraging news. No nodes, clear margins...

Trying to gear up for treatment and that just feels so scary- too many unknowns.

MT