Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited December 2015
    Molly - indeed loving the local weather and even the rain, welcome change from summer heat.

Everyone in treatment - glad to hear you are getting through it but I'm sure not easy dealing with it during the holidays. Cajun - the cumulative toxicity makes it hard. My treatment ended a bit early because of it. Hope you can push through the next 2 infusions ok. We are all cheering for you.

Hugs to all, Nisa 🎄🎄🎄
  • Martini
    Martini Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2015

optimist52. I am in the same boat, micrometastisis in one lymph node and just noticed the LVI. Neither of the two BS I saw (one was a second opinion) mentioned it and I do not see the oncologist until the 31st.

I now know what it is, which like everything associated with BC, it worries me, Wondering what treatment they prescribed.

• NisaVilla
    edited December 2015
    Martini - Welcome and am sorry you have to be here. Just read how new you are to the process and wanted to send encouragement and hugs. If you post your age and more details, there is a good chance someone will share what their treatment was like for a similar case - like Tamoxifen or Arimidex treatment for years ahead. I am 2 years out and can promise you it gets easier once you have a treatment plan defined for you. We are here for you! 💕
  • cajunqueen15
    cajunqueen15 Member Posts: 689
    edited December 2015

hi martini. I had two cancerous sentinel nodes with extracapsular extension (but no LVI). I had a very aggressive tumor, young, brca2... They are throwing the book at it. It's going to take almost a year to get through the treatment...then reconstruction.

Have you had a PET scan?

Hugs to you!!!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited December 2015

Martini, I had two positive nodes one with macromets of 1.7 cm and I had extensive LVI. Due to high ER/PR + and low moderate oncotype DX score I did not have chemo. I am also 54. If I was in my 40's or younger they probably would have recommended chemo. I did have a very large field of radiation tx.

• NisaVilla
    edited December 2015

Molly's comment reminds me of a question I have been wanting to ask/research for a long time: what is the medical rationale for the popular medical thinking that the same condition should be treated differently contingent on the age of the patient? Why wouldn't chemo be recommended for someone aged 60 and would be recommended for the same tumor characteristics of someone aged 40? Thank you. Hugs, Nisa 💚

• Molly50
    edited December 2015

Great question, Nisa. I was told that BC can be more aggressive in younger women. That cannot be 100% true because my sister has BC at the age of 25 and never had a recurrence. She had a modified radical mastectomy on the cancer side only.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,586
    edited December 2015

A couple possible reasons might be that when you are 40, you have a long life span ahead and have more time in which you could get a recurrence. If someone was older, lets say 75, something else is liable to kill you off before a stage I or II cancer. Also as you age, you may have other health conditions that would make chemo more risky, plus a person's immune system and other systems as well, work less efficiently which would also make it harder to bounce back from the cancer treatments themselves. So I think they have to weigh the risk benefit ratio, and age can definitely be a factor in that. I know that when I was doing chemo and saw some very elderly people undergoing the same treatment, I decided that my own personal cutoff date for during chemo would be 75. Hopefully I will never need to know if I'd stick to that thought or not!!!!!!

• opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited December 2015

NisaVilla, indeed a great question. I was told that my age (48) is indeed a factor for me getting chemo. Also my positive node (biopsied) and two others that appear suspicious were factors as well. All in all, I am indeed very much in favor of aggressive treatment in the pursuit of possibly lessening my chance of recurrence and extending survival.

• cajunqueen15
    cajunqueen15 Member Posts: 689
    edited January 2016

nisa, there are differing theories about age and aggressive cancer, some already stated. One factor not yet mentioned is that a lot of women are diagnosed post partum (me), which is a significant negative prognostic indicator. They don't know why.

• NisaVilla
    edited January 2016
    Cajun - Don't know how accurate this reporting is but read 12% of breast cancers are diagnosed postpartum (defined as within 5 years of giving birth). It seems like a huge number (Source: Cook R et al. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2014). Most women nurse their babies long(er) term which is considered a protective factor so I don't know how to reconcile that with the high percentage in the article. All I can say is that it is a good thing you are throwing the kitchen sink at this thing! Hugs, Nisa
  • PNY
    PNY Member Posts: 90
    edited January 2016

I am new to this website. I was diagnosed with stage 2 ILC in July. Had two very small tumors and all the Dr were convinced it was stage 1 til I had my BMX and one sentinel node and one additional was positive. Just finished 4 rounds of TC and am moving toward my reconstruction surgery in a couple of weeks (yay these TEs are uncomfortable at this point). I am also supposed to start Arimidex next week.

Between the chemo and steroids I gained 14 pounds and I hear the Arimidex will cause more weight gain. Anyone have any tricks up their sleeves on how to get rid of this weight and stop the sugar cravings. (I was very thin and ate ZERO sugar for the 5 years prior to being diagnosed). Made it through the first round of chemo but then a week or two later the cravings were unbearable. MY oncologist told me not to deprive myself. Now I cannot stop, even though I don't have my taste buds back I am eating chocolate like it is going out of style.

Thanks

• opt4life
    edited January 2016

HiPNY, I have also gained weight. About 10 pounds since starting chemo and I have 10 treatments to go. Also, my face is puffy. I too crave sugar but do my best to stick to my one sugary item a day--usually a yogurt or hot chocolate. I have also discovered Breyers no sugar added ice cream (if you don't mind Splenda). My oncology nurse says I should feel lucky to have an appetite with no nausea and dead tastebuds. But every time I get on the scale, it reminds me that I am not so lucky after all. One other thing that I do is to workout at least 4 days a week. I still have cravings but at least burning off some calories most days helps keep some weight at bay.

• PNY
    edited January 2016

WOW working out while still on chemo. YOU ARE AMAZING!! I regret not doing that. I was so nervous about germs although I did go to a private pool in someone's house when I could, Swimming with the TE's was interesting and I was feeling weaker and weaker as time went on (I was getting anemic) so I had to stop for the last few weeks.

I am back at the gym now. Trying to get there twice a day. Once for the machines the other for the pool. I am building up my stamina and can do 18 laps although I used to do over 30 a day. In the gym I walk about 3 miles on the tread mill but cant get past 3.6 - 3.7 miles an hour when I used to do 4.5. The weights are on hold except for the exercises the PT and OT have given me. Carrying too much weight is just very painful. Its like starting all over. It's hard but I am determined to do it:)

I know it is a mind over matter for me with chocolate. I call myself an addict. That is why I gave up ALL sugar and I mean all. I read all lables etc. and NOPE cannot do any sugar substitute - my stomach does not like them. I do take thyroid meds and so I know my metabolism is not what it was when I was younger (I am 56)

I did go to the endocrinologist who said I should have come while on the steroids he could have given me something to help with the cravings ( I believe he was talking about medformim. Although I am not a diabetic............I hope it stays that way). He is doing blood work and may put me on something to help with the weight and sugar cravings. I am also going to be starting Arimidex next week so I want to get this weight thing under control so I do get to a point where I am totally out of control

Good luck with the remaining chemo treatments and keep feeling strong enough to continue your workouts:)

• ruthbru
    edited January 2016

Hi ladies, just a couple thoughts about chemo, Arimidex, weight gain, exercise etc.

Chemo: My advice is to eat what you want during chemo, but not too much of it. Most people actually do GAIN weight during chemo (more comfort food & less movement). I was fortunate that chocolate tasted like chalk when I was doing chemo!!! I had more trouble during radiation when my taste buds came back and everything tasted especially delicious! Any exercise you can bring yourself to do during chemo will help you keep a base of fitness, making it less hard to bounce back when you're done. That being said, it is pretty much the luck of the draw how your body will react. Some people are able to exercise at a very high level, and some are lucky to walk down the driveway and back. Just do what you can & get through it.

Arimidex: lots of women gain weight during natural menopause because the lack of estrogen kind of slows the metabolism down & tends to speed up muscle loss etc. an anti-hormonal kind of accelerates the whole thing. BUT you can reverse the weight gain and the flabbiness through exercise.....you really do have to make it a priority & really be religious about it though. I, myself, did 5 years of Arimidex, and because I exercise, exercise, exercise, I didn't gain weight (unless I was eating too much) and have kept things pretty nicely toned up too. If you want to hook up with some exercise buddies here on BCO, check out The Lets Post Our Daily Exercise thread on the Fitness Forum. A great, encouraging group of ladies in all stages of treatment and beyond, and at all fitness levels too.

• PNY
    edited January 2016

Ruthbru Thanks for your encouraging words. Sounds like I am just going to have to be patient and very in control about what I eat.

I guess after 5 years of not eating anything with any sugar in it and then allowing yourself to indulge is like a child in a candy shop. Well this party has just gone healthy again!!

I am going to check out the fitness forum.

Thanks!!

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited January 2016

I just wanted to mention some of these cravings is due to Prednisone given during chemo. It can really stimulate your appetite - so don't blame yourself - it is the drugs. I ended up loosing weight during chemo due to bad GI issues and no appetite. I was also very anemic and exercise was not feasible. Once my anemia started to improve post chemo then I was slowly able to improve my fitness by daily walks. Everyone is different so do what works for you and just use common sense with healthy food choices.

• PNY
    edited January 2016

Yes I took steroids the day before and after chemo in addition to both oral and iv steroids the day of chemo infusion. I know it has wreaked havoc on my system. I have an extremely sensitive stomach and I have a slow moving thyroid (hoshimotos) (I dare touch gluten)

My endocrinologist is checking my thyroid levels as well as my glucose and A1C to make sure they were not thrown totally out of whack from the steroids.

I am happy to be feeling good and back and the gym swimming and in the exercise room. Looking forward to making healthy choices once again.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

• opt4life
    edited January 2016

PNY, Ruthbru, and cp418, great info about steroids, weight gain, and exercise. I definitely am craving sugars and starch more but trying hard to make 90% of my meals protein and veggies. However, I kinda have the attitude that if I have to go through this, I should be able to eat what I want. Not true but its how I feel most times.

PNY, glad you are feeling good and back to your workout ways. I will say that those endorphin highs keep me going back to the gym regardless of my eating habits.

• Jd2015
    Jd2015 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016

Hi, I'm new to the group! It's been a crazy 9 months. My Dad 63 was dx in April with prostate cancer. We found out in May that it was stage 4. In August I found out my best friend of 24 years has advanced breast cancer stage 4. It has progressed to her bones and eyes already. Then in October I was dx with breast cancer stage 2. I'm 38 years old, married, and have amazing boys age 4 and 9. I've been tested for bc genes that all came back negative. I'm currently undergoing radiation and so looking forward to the hormone medication. 😜

The only thing saving me right now is my husband aka Superman. ❤️

• Molly50
    edited January 2016

Welcome Jd2015, I am sorry about all the cancer affecting your life. Which anti hormonal are you going to be on?

• Jd2015
    Jd2015 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2016

Molly50-I'm going to be on Tamoxifen for 5 years.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2016

Welcome jd!

• LovingIsLiving
    LovingIsLiving Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2016

Hello. It's nice to see a specific thread for us Stage II-ers.

I was diagnosed October 1 after many years of dealing with breast cysts. I had a stereotactical biopsy (terrifying) done on the area about 10 years ago and it came back benign, or so they say. I never got to see the report but I bet it would have shown some changes at the cell level. I also had an MRI which didn't show anything either. So I went on with my life and I've been getting yearly ultrasounds until a couple years ago. At that point they switched me to just mammograms since it was "stable". But my cyst kept bothering me so I did another ultrasound. I finally had the cyst aspirated in May and it came back benign. But after the draining, I still had a lump, which I thought was swelling from the aspiration. So in September my ob/gyn ordered another ultrasound, which led to the biopsy that diagnosed me. Nothing showed in mammogram, and the radiologist didn't even want to do the biopsy until I insisted! Imagine if I would have let it go. So needless to say I am wary of what doctors tell me. I always like to do my own research and follow my gut feeling.

I chose to have a mastectomy because I didn't want to deal with radiation, especially since so much of my situation was full of surprises. I had a 4mm positive node, no extracapsular invasion and no LVI, which I was happy about. None of the doctors seemed to care much about those two things, but at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Because of the positive lymph node, I was recommended 4 rounds of TC. But it just didn't sit well with me. This was before I insisted on having the Oncotype testing done. I got a score of 15, low risk! Everything put together, I decided to skip chemo and start on Tamoxifen. I really wanted to use Arimidex but my bones are too weak for now. I hope in a year or two I can switch over. Meanwhile I just have to deal with all these hot flashes!

• Kimmer33
    Kimmer33 Member Posts: 90
    edited January 2016

LovingisLiving, I have similar diagnosis, left mastectomy, 2.5 cm, stage IIB, grade 1, 1/17 nodes, and I did chemo due to my age and the positive node. I also had an Oncotype test done, score came back at a 9, super low risk of recurrence, but on the advice of my GP, he said you are young (-ish, 46) and healthy, why not do everything you can. So I did 4 rounds of AC, and have almost finished my 4th round of Taxol.

I have also been recommended to do radiation (16 treatments), due to the positive node, even though I had a full mastectomy. Have your doctors not recommended radiation for you? My oncologist asked me during our first visit, "You didn't have a mastectomy to avoid radiation did you?". I did not, and am going to do rads to cover all my bases. Make sure you ask your oncologist about rads.

Kim

• LovingIsLiving
    edited January 2016

Hi Kim. The second opinion oncologist that I saw mentioned radiation as a possibility, but I was later told that because of so many lymph nodes taken out that it would put me at a much higher risk of lymphedema and I wouldn't benefit much from the treatments. Do you still get regular periods? I've been in menopause for ~2 years so I guess that changes how strongly doctors recommend chemo. Have you heard of the RxPonder trial? They randomize women who have 1-3 nodes with an oncotype <25 either with chemo+hormonals or just hormonals. I didn't get to enroll in the trial but I fit the criteria so the oncologist said my decision to skip chemo was reasonable.

Wishing you the best in your treatments!

• Kimmer33
    edited January 2016

LovingisLiving, yes, prior to chemo, I was still getting regular periods, far away as ever from menopause. So ya, age has something to do with it. I am aware of the RxPonder trial, and almost enrolled, but they couldn't get the results of my "clear" CT scan before the deadline, so I couldn't. But I still got the oncotype score, which still gives me confidence that my cancer has a low risk of recurrence. I am concerned about lymphedema during/after radiation, but I recovered well from my mastectomy, got full range of motion back almost right aways, and have been keeping up on stretching and physio appointments, so hopefully I will be ok with that.

I also wish you the best in your treatments!

Kim

• LovingIsLiving
    edited January 2016

Thank you Kim! Is there anything specific you did to get your range of motion back to normal? Mine is about 50-60% back, but everything feels so tight/stiff. I have a physical therapy/lymphedema clinic appointment next week, so I hope I can finally lift my arm up again!

• PNY
    edited January 2016

LovingisLiving; I had my surgery (BMX) in September with 17 nodes removed. I did the exercise they taught me before going home from the hospital. Then I went twice weekly to an OT BUT the thing that really has been helping me is a PT that specializes in mastectomy patients. She is amazing. She does myofacial release and then some yoga/stretching with. some weight lifting.

Good luck

PNY

• Kimmer33
    edited January 2016

LovingisLiving, i did the stretches that my physiotherapist who specializes in mastectomy patients showed me, I visited her 2 weeks pre-surgery, and she got me started on some great exercises which I started before I even had surgery, then continued with them after surgery. I visited her again 2 weeks post-surgery for 2 weeks and she did some physio work, digging and rubbing in the whole arm/axilla region. I would have to think about the exercises to remember, it's been awhile. You may already have some cording started, so visiting your physiotherapist is a good idea to get that stretched out - they can fix it. If you end up doing radiation, I would recommend getting as much physio done as you can prior to rads, eliminating cording, etc., as rads can tighten stuff up again. That is what I am doing now, I have had a bit of cording develop throughout chemo, and want to get it out of there before my rads start.

Kim