Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited October 2016

Hi, Mommado - nice to see you again, although not for this reason! But venting is good and we all know how you feel, so vent away anytime!

Regarding lupron and arimidex - I'd say give it a few days/weeks. You may feel substantially better after a few days of feeling rotten. Not having had lupron, I can't say for sure but it would seem at least probable. You might want to talk with your MO about that, too. I doubt that arimidex would have acted that quickly so it's probably the lupron.

I was feeling the same way, though, this summer. My MO took me off of everything for 3 weeks, which was scary, then changed me from femara to exemestane. I didn't think that would make a difference since I'd done great on femara for so long but lo and behold, it has! I've got my energy back, I've at least quit gaining weight and am slowly losing some, and I feel much more like myself. The effect wasn't immediate but it's pretty apparent after a couple of months. The point is: Give it time, really, and if one A/I doesn't treat you well, try another. That may solve the problem.

In the meantime, I know how frustrating, depressing and hopeless it can all feel. I hope it starts to improve for you soon. Hang in there.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,583
    edited October 2016

It took me about 6 months on Arimidex before I felt pretty "normal". Try to keep moving as much as you can, that's what helped me the most. Hugs!

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited October 2016
    I am sorry U4 to be so late to respond. I agree with all prior comments, and especially emphasize the idea of distracting yourself as much as possible when waiting for an important appointment. Whatever it takes, and that sometimes means "medically necessary shopping." :-) Great movies work even better for me. We are 2 days past your Tuesday appt and thus I hope all went well, and you are out and about celebrating!

Hugs, Nisa 🌷
  • Sabina1974
    Sabina1974 Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2016

Hi everyone

Was diagnosed 3 months ago. Grade 2, IDC with dcis mixed in for good measure and also micromets to two nodes. My question is how does everyone cope? I feel I am living breathing Breast Cancer! This unfortunately is not my first brush with this disease, I had a rare teenage cancer when I was 16 and 18. I am about to start chemo which I am dreading as I was so sick the last time I had it. Now that was 24 years ago so hoping things have changed. My final question how are you staged when you have two tumours one was 1.6 and other was .6mm. Thank you everyone.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited October 2016

Welcome Sabina! Sorry you are dealing with breast cancer after being a childhood cancer survivor. I do hope chemo is kinder to you this time. I assume you had surgery already? If so your pathology report should have your staging information. If you make your diagnosis and treatment public it is easier for us to answer questions.

• NisaVilla
    edited October 2016
    Hi Sabina, and welcome. We are here to support you, and the ladies in this forum are an amazing combination of knowledge and support. We parachute in at different times but you will see many helpful responses. You are just starting out this journey so any way of coping is acceptable, from seeking support from various sources to mindless TV shows to unnecessary mid-night online shopping! I did all that yet family, friends and the women on this forum were what helped me most, and often times the women in this thread were even more helpful than family. So come to the forum and you will find how we "have been there done that" and survived. I believe the largest tumor is used (but not only factor) in staging. I am so sorry you dealt with cancer at such early age. Your body responded to treatment well then so we need to think it will do that again. Sending hugs 🌷
  • ruthbru
    edited October 2016

Hi Sabina, I think you cope with the treatment part by finding a team you trust and can work WITH, and then you just get through it. Nobody can tell ahead of time how you will react to chemo this time; but if you can keep to a somewhat normal schedule, I think that helps (it did me anyway), and also try to get in a little exercise (even if it just means walking around in a circle in the living room). I don't know your living/work situation; but if someone asks what they can do, tell them EXACTLY what would be helpful (and it doesn't have to be just medical stuff, it could be having them bring you a Dairy Queen or taking you to a movie). Let us know how you're doing!

• Mcgr45
    Mcgr45 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2016

My 84 year old mother was recently and officially diagnosed with Stage 2, Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. With a biopsy and scans, it was determined that she has a 1.8 cm tumor near the back of her left breast with a "small" plane of fat left for the surgeon to cut it out via a Lumpectomy. The growths in her right breast are benign. The Oncologist said the tumor was 100% Estrogen and 100% Progesterone Positive, HER2 Negative, one or two lymph nodes involved, Grade 2, Ki67 (doubling time) is 30%. Not sure what some of this means but in the world of cancer, for an 84 year old, I guess it could be worse. They could do a Oncocyte DX Genetic test on her to determine if CHEMO is appropriate, but with her kind of cancer the Oncologist said that "Chemo" does not add much bang for your buck to "life expectancy" no matter what your age and that Radiation should kill extra cells left over from surgery. Does this sound accurate? Also, after a CT Scan of her Chest, with and w/o contrast they found an incidental finding of a 5cm growrh on the left side of her Thyroid, although the growth looks like it has liquid in it. Her Breast Oncologist and the Endocrinologist are not convinced that it is cancer. She had a biopsy and ultrasound of her Thyroid. So we are now awaiting those results. I am scared for her. Any words of wisdom? I am a only child. I live in chicago with my husband. My father is also sick. It's awful.

• NisaVilla
    edited October 2016
    Mcgr45 - I am sorry your Mom and you are going through this difficult time. It gets easier as treatment progresses. Your surgeon's comment sounds like what many of us have heard from our surgeons. Oncology (and other fields) use "universal treatment protocols" meaning your Mom will likely receive the same treatment no matter whether she is at MD Anderson or a less known hospital in a remote place, or even overseas. Of course, there are exceptions but I believe they fall in the category of doing more treatment rather than less, as in women receiving chemo when it is unnecessary and likely to have a low or no impact on the illness. I am a fan of "second opinions" so you could do that for your peace of mind, although from your description your Mom has the most common and treatable (even curable) form of estrogen-driven cancer. As for the thyroid, I am in the same boat as your Mom and have been "monitored" for 6 months due also to an incidental finding on a PET. I can share some articles where they describe the incidence of breast cancer mestatasizing to the thyroid and the numbers are quite low. There is a much greater chance of a primary tumor in the thyroid, but for now it looks like her cancer has been completely removed surgically. Best wishes to your Mom and Dad. Let us know what the biopsy shows and how treatment goes for her. It is so hard to watch our elderly parents get ill but with support you will get through this as well. We are here to support you in any way we can. A big hug, Nisa 🌷
  • grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited October 2016
    My one year anniversary of the mammogram that started this journey was yesterday! Sabina - It took me a long time to get over the shock of having BC. I can remember going back to work after recovering from my first surgery and feeling such a brain fog that I would spend most of the day doing nothing. It was just so hard to focus on anything. It does get better and I feel much more like myself now.

Mcgr- I'm so sorry your mother is going through this now. With the high level of ER+, her MO may just put her on an aromatase inhibitor as it may be a more potent therapy than chemo.

I had my exchange surgery on Wednesday and I'm recuperating well. My left TE had migrated up my chest so that it was about an inch higher than the right. The PS had to pull skin up from my abdomen to recreate the IMF and I'm very relieved that everything looks a bit more symmetrical with the implants! The right side looks perfectly like a breast. The misbehaving left side has a lot of puckering at the edges of my incision but at least it's now even with the right. The PS used 300 cc silicone rounds - small, I know, but it seems to fit my small frame well. She did not do any fat grafting this time, but likes to see how things settle first.
  • ruthbru
    edited October 2016

Mcagr, I would be extremely hesitant to recommend chemo for an 84 year old in just about any circumstance. At that age quality of life would be the first concern (to me, anyway). Being extremely ER & PR positive is a very good thing, that means one of the anti-hormonals should work very well for her.

• PNY
    PNY Member Posts: 90
    edited November 2016

Havent been to this site in a while. Thank G-D things have been going well. I have been keeping busy with my family and the holdiays for which I started the cooking and baking back in July. Thank G-d we welcomed another grandchild into the family,.

I went for scans after my BMX and all was good, although there was a tiny nodule on my upper right lung lobe. I was told everyone has them but they keep an eye on it. I have had three CT scans and THANK G_D it has never changed. HOWEVER, now after the third CT scan they see another tiny nodule on my left lobe. They all say they are not concerned but will repeat again in three months. They said it happens that there is a small nodule so the CT scan depending how its sliced can miss it (but missed on two other c=scans. ) Trying to stay positive. but its in the back of my head. ALSO I went for my annual healthy exam to the GP. blood work looks good but my vitamin D is once again low. not very low like it used ot be but below the norm. (wherein in July it was at a very nice level) I have not lowered the dose I take nor did I stop taking it. although the last time I was at the onc she said I should lower it down to 1000 a day. So for a while I took the 5000 just a few times a week rather than daily. Now the GP is putting me on a prescription vitamin D of 50,000 units and that is taking one day per week,.

I am just nervous that the low d could have adverse results with regard to recurrence. Lets hope not

anyone else have any experience with innocent nodes/nodules on their lung

thanks

• Mcgr45
    Mcgr45 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2016

Hi ladies-(NisaVilla, Ruthbru, Grandma3X) Thanks for the words of support. Here is an Update: Mom has her Lumpectomy scheduled Monday, Nov 7. Thyroid Biopsy came back negative for Cancer. 95% accurate, and so the Endocrinologist said to proceed with my mom's treatment of her most serious issue, breast cancer. Dad is steady, his tumors have not shrunk or grown. So the Lupron treatment for the Stage 4 Prostate Cancer is working. I cannot believe I have two parents, diagnosed within weeks of each other, both with hormonal kind of Cancers. What are the odds. Please say some prayers for my mom, thanks for the sopport!

• Molly50
    edited November 2016

Mcgr45 , praying for both of your parents . Good news about the thyroid test .

• ruthbru
    edited November 2016

Sending up a prayer for you too, Mcgr!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited November 2016

Just wanted to share a little fun news with my sista's!!!! My fiancé and I have finally decided to plan our wedding!!! After 12 years together and 8 years engaged - we are sealing the deal on Saturday, April 1st and NO it isn't an April Fools Joke 😂 We actually met that day and had originally planned to marry that day 8 years ago as my son would have been in his last year of college. He opted to do an accelerated mortuary program and is done with school but we kept procrastinating... even though April 1st is the date I was diagnosed - it was the day I met the love of my life- and that takes precedence!!! We decided last Sunday and the hall we wanted and the DJ's were available, so it must have been fate!!!

Sorry to veer off normal subjects - but wanted to share with some of my special friends on this thread!! If anyone will be in the southwest Chicago areathat weekend PM me - we'd love to have you!!!

• Molly50
    edited November 2016

Congratulations, mjs!!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2016

Oh my gosh, veer off for good news any time you want! Congratulations, that is awesome. Post updates, and of course, pictures!!!!

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited November 2016

How wonderful to get some good news! I'm very happy for the two of you, mjs - have fun with the planning (and many, many happy years together).

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited November 2016

Mjs- that is excellent news, congrats!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited November 2016

Thank you all!! It's so exiting! I didn't get to have a "real" wedding the first time - so this time we're planning a great party!!! Have everything done in 1 week, except my dress!!! Not too worried I know I'll find something!

Thanks again - Mary Jane

• NisaVilla
    edited November 2016
    Sister MJ - 💥💥 Yay, congratulations! 💥💥. This is Great and Happy news and thanks so much for posting about it. It is so nice to find happy news on BCO so please keep them coming. I would love to hear more about the dress and all things wedding, I haven't been to one in forever! I am doing a happy dance with you👠 and look forward to hearing more. Hugs, Nisa 💐
  • opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited November 2016

Hello ladies, congrats on the upcoming nuptials MJS 👏👏 So exciting!

I'm having my first mammogram since diagnosis in a few weeks. Oddly enough, I'm not nervous. Question though: a 3D was ordered but since I have dense breast and previous cancer, shouldnt I get an MRI instead?

Have a great weekend!

Peace and blessings

• Molly50
    edited November 2016

Opt4life, Usually insurance won't pay for an MRI unless previous testing warrants it. 3 D mammo is supposed to be very effective for dense breasts.

• cubbie2015
    cubbie2015 Member Posts: 773
    edited November 2016

Opt4Life, you could also ask about ultrasound. What kind of screening you should have, given that you have dense tissue, is something you should definitely discuss with your MO. 3D mammography is helpful for dense tissue - it worked for me.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2016

3D mammograms are amazing.

• opt4life
    edited November 2016

Thanks cubbie and ruthbru, I just want to make sure that my mammogram doesn't miss anything. I do believe that if I'd had a 3D manmogram two years ago that I would have been diagnosed at an earlier stage w/o node involvement.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2016

It really is the gold standard. I am positive that if they would have had them back when I was diagnosed that it would have been caught much earlier than it was. The first time I had one, the technician showed me how it goes down layer after layer. I had a little spot that looked unusual, but as she pealed back the layers, she could tell that it was just a place where blood vessels came together. So it can also eliminate the need for unneeded testing as well. I was so impressed that I wrote a donation check to the mammography center on the spot!

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    edited November 2016

When I first consulted my primary health doc about the lump I had found, she immediately sent me to the closest facility to my rural town that had 3D mammo capacity, even though it was 60 miles further than the closest facility to my home. I thank her in my heart everyday. They were wonderful. I have told my MO I never want to go anywhere else or have anything else for follow up and he has agreed (I do have dense breast tissue). What is most wonderful is that at the mammo I have to sign a piece of paper that basically says that I understand that insurance may not cover the 3D cost (though in my case it has) and that I understand that if that happens the facility will absorb whatever cost the insurance doesn't cover, out of understanding of its importance to my health! I have never been happier to sign a piece of paperwork! I just had a follow up mammo in July (all clear) and am scheduled for another in December.

Thanks for the prompt Ruth, I will send them a donation check this year.

• opt4life
    edited December 2016

Monday greetings everyone, need a little encouragement this morming. I have my first mammo since diagnosis and treatment this morning. I had my brave face on and braveheart in the weeks leading up to this but now I've gone off the rails. Stress eating all weekend, didn't sleep last night, now in the gym working out when I normally can't even get up before 6am.

Hoping and praying for 'negative' results of course.

Have a blessed everyday