Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited January 2017

Hi my stage II sisters! I was dx at 29 yo last Nov. I am half way through neoajuvant chemo, gladly the lump has shrunk a lot and I can barely feel it now. I am still scared and sad sometimes, but I am definitely getting stronger to fight for my life!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited January 2017

Steph, 29 is so young. I am glad the chemo is working! Sunnygirl, congratulations on your grandchild! That is a wonderful blessing.

• readytorock
    readytorock Member Posts: 51
    edited January 2017

Hi, ladies -

I don't post here often, but definitely a member of the club. I just had my bloodwork, appointment with MO, mammogram, appt. with BS and all is well! I have even started meeting with MO only six months instead of 3 now. All is well!

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited January 2017
    Oh how fun to see so many dear screen names! You MJ will be the coolest Grandma around. Congratulations to you and the happy couple! And now off on your cruise (where?) with your reborn sexy-self, and then your wedding. Wow, your life is filled great events. Enjoy my friend! Molly - listen to Hopeful's wise advice and have your head checked please. Hi Jojo and Octogirl :). Let's do it Opt4Life, please choose a week (1st, 2nd etc) when we all "check-in" and spend a little time together :) And you Ruth, are you ever home for more than 2 weeks at a time? LoL. My update: health overall ok, work life wonderful, no more rain in SoCal so all warm and nice after weeks of rain-rain. Took the family to Italy for the holidays and brought back 6 extra lbs as "evidence" of how fun it all was. Sons, hubby and I did an awesome coastal hike along the Cinque Terre. Weather cooperated. Not all is fun however, at times still grieving the death of my brother in September. And worried about his wife who is alone and isolated in FL. It is such a weird feeling that I have no family left. My husband has parents in early 80s (my MIL is perfect shape), his siblings all in great health and aunts and uncles everywhere. Mine? All dead except for a few cousins at the end of the world. I am going to put an ad in Craiglist: Looking for adoptive parents, brothers, aunts, and uncles. I won't be buying\adopting sisters because I have each of you here 💕 Sending hugs, Nisa
  • NisaVilla
    edited January 2017
    I knew I'd miss some sisters. HI ReadyTorock! Nice to meet you and great to hear you are moving on and enjoying life. Hang around and check-in again! Hugs, Nisa 💐
  • NisaVilla
    edited January 2017
    Clearly, I read all,posts a little too fast. Dear Step, you get 2 long hugs. No person your age should have a reason to be here. Say what you need, ask questions, we are all here for you! 💐 Sunny - nice to meet you. Lucky you with an 11 month old around. I'm ready for grandchildren but my sons are college-age and not ready!
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,583
    edited January 2017

Nisa, I was actually home AND working for quite a long stretch (I'm a retired teacher); I did a long term subbing job, full days November and December, and afternoons after Christmas until the day I left for Arizona. I filled in for a friend who first was doing, and then recuperating from, radiation. Luckily it was 7th grade history, my favorite grade and subject, so it actually was pretty fun.

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    edited January 2017

Ruth, I've always wanted to teach 7th grade history...whenever i mention that secret dream to anyone, I get answers basically saying I am nuts (because: 7th graders). How refreshing it is to hear it is someone's favorite grade and subject!

And no, I've never been a teacher. (so who knows, maybe I would hate it :-). I do teach adults from time to time as part of my job, and I love doing that. How different could high school kids be? Ha!!).

Anyway, I even contemplated changing careers to become a teacher at one point: to the point that I took the California CBEST test (had to brush up for the math, but got a perfect score on the writing portion! :-)). Sadly, when I started looking at starting salaries, I decided that with two kids in college (at that time) and living in San Francisco (again, at that time) and other expenses, I couldn't really afford the pay cut....

But now that I am going to be retired come July, I've been re-visiting that dream. Hmmm....

Octogirl

• ruthbru
    edited January 2017

Do it, Octo! The lady who was doing a long term 6th grade English sub gig for a maternity leave when I was doing my history teaching went back and got her degree after her kids were grown. She is a widow and likes to sub a lot to keep busy. That English class was HER dream job Happy

• ruthbru
    edited January 2017

p.s. 6th and 7th graders are very fun....8th grade, not so much Winking

• Sabina1974
    Sabina1974 Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2017

Hi Molly

Chemo is going well nearly finished one more then radium. I have a question now that I have done chemo could I still ask for my oncotype score even with 2 pos nodes. I had 2.4 mm in one and .4 in the other.? Thank you

• Molly50
    edited January 2017

Sabina, it's unlikely insurance would pay for oncotype after chemo but you could ask.

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited January 2017

Just checking in. I'm in CA visiting my son and his wife and to celebrate my grandson's birthday #2 :)

Life is busier than ever. I missed so much work the past year with surgeries that I may never catch up. I've almost convinced myself it would be easier to just retire. DH and I also bought an Adirondack camp a couple of weeks ago, which we have wanted to do for the past 30 years. It will require some fixing up but is situated right on a lake where we have about 200 ft. of waterfront.

Best wishes to you all, and welcome to Stephilosophy.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2017

I'm back home to the ice and snow. Boo Hoo! Here is a pretty Arizona picture......

• opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2017

My, my, my...look at all us showing up to the 'check-in' party. It sure does do a girl good to hear folks getting through treatment, surviving, and thriving in many cases.

So since this is the last week of the month and we all took the time to check-in. Let's make the last week (4th/5th week) of each month our 'check-in' party where we share highs, lows and everything in between. Let's hear about your doctors, nurses, spouses/sig others, children, parents, crazy pets, crazier aunts, cool neighbors, frustrating boss, etc. Can't wait til the end of the month and just have to share? Even better!

Lord, I'm glad my nurse navigator recommended this site. I don't know where I would be without it. Well yes I do--hiding under my bed.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2017

Great idea, Opt4!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited February 2017

nisa - I am in your exact same boat - parents and only sib all gone, while DH has lots of sibs/family. So, let's adopt each other

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited February 2017
    Nisa, I had missed the news of your brother's passing and am so sorry. I know it was inevitable but still - you've lost your brother, which is a major loss, especially after all he had been through. You've been in my thoughts and will stay there.

My father died a year ago today - I miss him every day but felt a bit of his love and spirit today. He was going through treatment for MDS at the same time I was doing radiation and still managed to be supportive and encouraging as well as understanding.

All of these losses are hard and I think that our own experience with cancer makes them all the more poignant, and challenging, too.
  • Sunny_Girl
    Sunny_Girl Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2017

I like the idea Opt4Life!

Patty

• Sabina1974
    Sabina1974 Member Posts: 22
    edited February 2017

Hi Molly

Thank you I really should have pushed it beforehand as I really would like to know my score. I am one of those people who like to know everything especially when you are fighting for something. Here in Ireland we are told very little about our diagnosis or our pathology report, we have a lot to learn from the United States.

Sabina

• hunny1208
    hunny1208 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2017

hi. Newbie here. Was diagnosed with stage 2a and had my lumpectomy and sentinel nodes removed last jan 24. Had a meeting with the oncologist and radiologist last week and was advised to get chemotherapy for 6 cycles and 18 shots of herceptin since i'm HER2+. This will be followed by radiation. Unfortunately, i cannot afford to pay for chemotherapy. So i'm opting to get radiation therapy which is what i can still afford. I guess, it's still better to have some sort of treatment than none at all. The onco said that there is 30% risk of the cancer coming back within 3 yrs if i do not get any treatment at all. I'm hoping that radiation therapy will somehow lower the odds of that happening.

• NisaVilla
    edited February 2017
    Sorry slow-slow reply.

Opt4 - Love your idea, last week of month party, yay!

SpecialK - It's official: You are my sister now! You know that gives me acccess to your closet? LOL. Love the coincidence that your first home was near where I live now. And my first (American) home is near where you live now. That's already a lot in common for brand new sisters,

Hopeful - I know You have been keeping me in your thoughts, and I thank you so much for that. I hope you find a small way to honor your wonderful Dad every 1st of the month. I "speak" briefly with my Mom every 1st of the month as we lost her on a January 1st decades ago, when I was a little girl. Sending extra hugs.

Hunny - I am sorry you have to join us but we are here for you. Reading your post lead me to google and read the state of BC cancer treatments in the Philippines. It was hard to read some of the stats. I wonder if you could write to the Perjeta and Herceptin manufacturers and ask for what you need. The makers of brand Arimidex have a program where a 30-day supply costs U$ 30 while the very same costs U$540 at the pharmacy. Maybe they have a similar program? Maybe you bring the drugs and only pay for infusion supervision? If a US address were needed, you can use mine and I will mail to your country at no cost if that can be done legally (don't know rules for international transport of chemo drugs). Your English is perfect, are you an American living in The Philippines?

Hugs, Nisa. 🌷
  • Molly50
    edited February 2017

Oh hunny I am sorry. I am hoping there's an international charity that can help you.

• hopeful82014
    edited February 2017

Thank you for your kind thoughts and the hugs, too. Thinking of you daily.

Hunny, it's appalling that you can't afford the treatment you seriously need. Is there a cancer foundation or society in the Philippines that could help? Nisa's suggestion of contacting the pharmaceutical companies is an excellent place to start. I'm so sorry you're in this position.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2017

Hunny, I hope the advise on how to proceed will be helpful to you. Sending my best wishes your way.

• hunny1208
    hunny1208 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2017

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement.

Nisa, I'll do more research and may try your suggestion.

In terms of charitable organizations, i'm not too hopeful as there are a lot of cancer patients that are in worse financial situation than I am and the government can't even help them.

• opt4life
    edited February 2017

Hey ladies, you are all continually in my prayers and I hope you are all thriving or trying to thrive in the best way you know how. I'm doing my check-in thing albeit a bit early....can't wait for next week as it only gets busier than this week.

So my vent for this month....I was diagnosed in October 2015 and the first few things I did were pray, call a dear friend (who is also a BC thriver) and pray some more. Then I called every board President of the 5 or 6 boards I was on at the time and told them basically "I Quit'. I unbusied myself from every unpaid coaching job, PTA bake sale, sorority fundraiser, and anything else that was taking up time from me and my family. I basically simplified and de-stressed my life.

Well fast forward in 2017, I am back at square one and just as busy as I was before with a new job and back on 4 boards. UGH! I can't say 'No'. If the PTA needs help, I'm your gal. If my homeowner's association needs someone to audit finances, that's me too. If my daughter's school needs someone to plan the school dance, yep I can do that in my spare time....EXCEPT it's not good for me nor my quality of life.

So hear I am again needing to simplify, de-stress and focus on my health, my family, and my career. I'll get there, one 'No' at a time.

Peace and blessings!

• hopeful82014
    edited February 2017

Opt4live - Isn't it amazing how those unsought obligations creep back into our lives? Singing

At one point I actually had to script various ways of saying 'no' and rehearse them! Then I got smart and started thinking of other people to suggest for the task. That seemed to divert the 'asker' and got them past the 'no.' This past year I've just had too much going on to even be able to think of adding anything else and I've gotten really comfortable with gracefully refusing to take on responsibilities. Not that I don't want to help - I just want to spend my energies on those activities that truly have meaning. As the saying goes, the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. :)

• opt4life
    edited February 2017

Hopeful, love the saying...the price of freedom... I will have to take a page out of your book. Its like you said, I really want to help but certainly my time and energy could be of better use elsewhere. I thought I had learned this lesson well when I was diagnosed but obviously that wasn't enough of a kick in the pants.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2017

I have become pretty good at saying no unless I actually want to do something. As we all know, time is precious.

I will do my monthly update now as I will be out of town next week. I've had a nice February; the friend I was doing a long term subbing job for is back to work full time so I am back to subbing once or twice a week (which I very much enjoy). We had a stretch of unusually nice weather (although it's back to winter now), so I was able to walk outside quite a few days (often with my sweet little grand-dog), and I 'passed' my annual mammogram which means that I am 10 years out (thank God & knock on wood). Saturday I fly off to Florida to spend a week with three of my oldest friends, so I am very much looking forward to that! Now all I have to do is pack (I have every piece of summer clothing I own piled on top of my bed.....yikes, I am a terrible packer!!!! Shocked