Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• Kiss77
    Kiss77 Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2014

Redwolf, keep us posted. You are in my prayers!

Christina

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited August 2014

90% growth of cancer. It's still just in the liver - thank You, Lord.

Back on Perjeta, Herceptin, and Navelbine - all infusions. Require 2 weekly visits in a 3 week period, every month. Side effects are rough but it worked before - thank You, Lord.

I will be calling an Interventional Radiologist to see if he'll be willing to inject my liver with SIRT-spheres (radioactive microbeads).

Thanks for all your prayers.

- Penny

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited August 2014

Good luck on taxol Christina, i hope they shrink your mets :))

• Woodylb
    edited August 2014

Penny, I am so sorry for the growth and i hope the meds would work for you as it did before. You are in my prayers every night. May god lead your doctors way and be with. :)

• Kiss77
    edited August 2014

Penny, I am so sorry. Good luck with the chemo and with the SIRT-spheres. I'm curious about spheres too as this procedure is recommended for multiple lesions. 

Christina

• SonSammie
    SonSammie Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014

Hi all, 

I was wondering if someone can help me better understanding the process where liver metastases becomes the diagnoses? 

My mother was diagnosed with liver mets mid chemotherapy treatment and I'm not sure what the next step is going to be...

She started out as being treated for locally advanced breast cancer, but it was later discovered that the lesions in her liver were in fact metastases (they responded to the chemotherapy and shrunk from the time she had her first and second CT scan). She's done with six rounds of chemotherapy and is on break until her next CT scan in October. 

Is that a good sign? Is surgery an option?

I know this might sound a bit unstructured but its only after she was diagnosed that I became more involved while taking care of her and all.

P.S. I can only express admiration and respect when I read through your posts. You are all a ray of hope and I wish each and every one of you well. 

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,480
    edited August 2014

Dear SonSammie

Every case requires a customised treatment that dependes very much on age, the location, cancer type and other test results such as hormone receptor results. Only with the full details of all the test results and scans can a treatment plan be formulated. If the sites are shrinking then that is positive but only your Doctor/s can best advise on options and treatments. People on here can only give their experiences and explain how their diagnosis may or may not be similar.

Our thoughts are with your mother and you. We hope that she responds well to the treatment. 

The Mods

• Annie62
    Annie62 Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2014

Sammie-if she has many liver mets surgery is not normally done. If chemo has shrunk them they would normally continue with that. Do you know why she is on a chemo break? Is she possibly on an anti-hormonal? 

• Lola27
    Lola27 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014

I was diagnosed with liver mets after 8 years of bc remission. I had 37 weeks of chemo and a little more than a year after that, my markers are up, I am a bit freaked. Having a scan tomorrow.

• redwolf8812
    edited August 2014

Praying, Lola27...

SmilePenny

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited August 2014

Lola....did txt end after 37 weeks...and you were Ned for a year?   I'm hoping to hear your scan was good!

• Woodylb
    edited August 2014

good luck Lola i hope you have clear scans . 

• Kiss77
    edited August 2014

Lola, fingers crossed for you!

Christina

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2014

Lola27, I too will pray for you, the Lord will confort and Carry you through.

becky

• redwolf8812
    edited September 2014

UPenn tomorrow. Definitely getting Pertuzumab and Herceptin. Haven't had the Navelbine in 3 weeks because my WBC has been too low. So tomorrow I'll also get chemo if my WBC is up. I pray for the knowledge to know and desire God's Will. I pray my offering is acceptable to unite my suffering with that of Christ's for the good of The Lord's Will. In the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, I pray. Amen.

:-) Penny

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Penny may the grace of Jesus our Lord be with you. :))

• redwolf8812
    edited September 2014

White Blood Cell Count up! Waiting for chemo! Thank You, Jesus! Thanks for your prayers, everyone <3

:-) Penny

• Kiss77
    edited September 2014

Good job, redwolf!

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

wonderful news Penny :))) 

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Hi ladies got my PET scan done today, primary results the tumors are still there but it doesn't look as if they have grown and there is some activity, the doctor didn't compare yet with the old one and didn't measure the SUV yet. But 2 nodes showed on the scan :(((. Tomorrow i get the  results complete . I pray god that these are caused by some kind of a flu and cough i am having since a week. Any prayer will be welcome. Love to you all lovely ladies . 

• hollander
    hollander Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2014

Woodylb, sending good thoughts and prayers your way.  Hoping that things turn out better than you're expecting!  Waiting is so hard... (((HUGS)))

• Kiss77
    edited September 2014

Woodylb, sending good vibes. Hope the nodes are caused by flu.

Christina

• redwolf8812
    edited September 2014

Prayer going up, Woodylb.  Keep us posted.

- Penny

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Hollander, Christina and Penny thank you so much for your support. I got my results today , unfortunately they are not good. Progression in the liver tumors with increased SUV 7.9 it was 6.7 last june and recent activity on the bones along the spinal cord , T4, T5 , T7, T11 and along the coaxis and iliac bone. Xeloda seems to be the chemo of choice rather than affinitor :((. I pray God to give me strength, hope and endurence and the best to all of you lovely and unique ladies. Hugs. 

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Hollander, how is Xeloda treating you? I see you are ILC Like me are you still on it? 

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited September 2014

Overjoyed that your white count was up, Penny, and hope that treatment was kind to you!  Prayers answered!!!

Woody, dear sister, I'm so sorry there is progression...we were, and are with you, along this way, hoping and praying this is a blip in the radar...that whatever is next, xeloda or whatever....it will take care of those cells and lead to a healthy body!  A childhood friend, not on the boards, did xeloda when mets spread from bones to liver.  It was harsh on her...but got her to stable very quickly.  That's our prayer for you!!!

• buras54
    buras54 Member Posts: 17
    edited September 2014

Hi ynewcar, I had a similar experience. I was diagnosed with IDC in October of 2007. I had Stage 1, Grade 2, Estrogen Positive breast cancer. My tumor was less than 1 inch big. I had a spin sparing double mastectomy with immediate reconstructive surgery. No chemo or radiation needed. My onotype test came back at 8%, the lowest it can be so oncologist said no chemo. So I thought Cancer is gone and never gave it another thought. . Well, let me be the first to tell anyone out there that if you have BC and I don't care what the stage is you should have a couple of rounds of chemo to kill the microscopic cancer cells. In April of 2012 it metastasized to my humerous bone in my right shoulder so now I have to have radiation. Okay I was upset but I dealt with it. I am now taking 2 shots per month. Xgeva and Fasoledex. One repairs the bone damage and one is to block my estrogen.  Before I was on Arimidex and that did no good.!!  My radiation doctor actually thinks my tumor broke off and attached itself to my bone before I had my double mastectomy.  Thought I had rotator cup issues and after further investaging it was Mets to the bone. Then I was having pain in my right kidney area so we did a cat scan and they found something on my liver, so we did a biopsy and it was BC mets to the liver, 1 spot less than 1 inch big. I was devastated. Now I get 4 rounds of the red devil and 4 rounds of taxotere. I did okay on them and had a pet scan 1 month after I finished chemo and all was good and I had another pet scan in 6 month so that was October and all was good and then I had another pet scan in April of this year and guess what? Tumor is back and it is almost 2 inches big and in the same place. They wanted me to do chemo and I said NO cut that crap out. Doctor was against that so he recommended me to see the radiologist that specialized in ablation on tumors. I did and on 5-27-14 I had them do the ablation. They insert a needle in the tumor and it sends radio frequency waves through the tumor to kill it. The doctor thinks he got it all and hopefully so. It hurt and took 6 days to recover but I didn't want to take chemo again right now. I will do a pet scan again on October 8th to see if it's gone. That darn tumor flew under the radar of that scan in October or that thing grew really fast in 6 months. I know from reading about mets to the liver that the tumor will never go away with chemo. It just shrinks them so that is why I wanted it cut off or burned out. I know another spot can come out but I'm hoping I'm good for a while. Oh I forgot to tell you ladies that when I went to have my port put in my surgeon did an ultra sound on my breast to make sure I had no occurences. She found  a knot about the size of a bebe by my incision site and thought it was scar tissue. Guess What!!!! It was malignant!!! Can you believe it!!  When I did the chemo for the liver it went away but still I can't believe it came back there. Dam microscopic cells!!!!

• redwolf8812
    edited September 2014

Sorry Woodylb.  Was hoping for better news.  Keep the faith and keep us posted.

Buras54 - I also had ablations, but the buggers keep coming back :-(

- Penny

• smiley47
    smiley47 Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2014

So sorry you had a bad scan that showed progression; I'm in the same boat as you with my last scan showing progression. I went back on taxol and I am now feeling much better. I hope your onc puts you on a new treatment plan that's effective at controlling this new progression.

Prays and my thoughts are with you

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Thank you smiley, i hope so too and wish you get a treatment which will make you feel better. My prayers are with you too. 

Penny , my faith will always be with me even when i am angry, but God is good and he forgives us our weaknesses. :)