Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited September 2014

Going home.  Praise The Lord!  Thanks for all your prayers.

:-) Penny

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited September 2014

So happy  you are well again Penny thank you Lord for your eternel  mercy . :)

• hollander
    hollander Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2014

Chichimaine--  I've been on xeloda since last November, and finishing up round 16 pills tomorrow.  I've been lucky with the se's.  I didn't have stomach problems with chemo, either, so maybe that's a predictor for future chemos?  Who knows.  Be sure to take it within 30 min. of eating, with a large glass of water.  Keep the lotion on your hands and feet.  There's a xeloda thread with lots of helpful tips.  Good luck to you, and I hope works well for you!!  

Woodylb- glad to hear you've survived your first day!  Stay hydrated and keep up with the moisturizing.  (((Hugs))) to everyone, and sweet dreams!

• chichimaine
    chichimaine Member Posts: 89
    edited September 2014

Woodylb,

Thanks for the post.  I just took my first dose with dinner this evening.  Have felt a little woozy myself, but otherwise fine.  Glad to hear there are others tolerating it well.  I'll be thinking of you, too, and praying it works for both of us and for all the others taking it.

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Lolllll Hollander, i actually survived it, but i will wait one week and reserve my judgement ! For the forst day i didn't much of an appetite , i ate less than normal so it must the ice cream SillyHeart. Thnx for all your support though and your encouragement. Hugs. 

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Chichimaine, 

I am glad you felt ok and hope you continue to do so. Don't think about the SEs you may not get them. Like Hollander said there is a thread for Xeloda and there some helpful tips. Good luck to you and God bless you. 

• chichimaine
    edited September 2014

It's my third day on Xeloda and so far no se...a little nausea this morning, but I thinks it's mostly because I am not a breakfast person.  Had a waffle with syrup and strawberries an blueberries.  Apparently my stomach did not like it.  Felt better after lunch.  Can't find the thread on Xeloda, but might not be looking in the right place...is it a different discussion board?  Gla dyou are still doing well Woodylb and thanks, Hollander for the encouragement.  Fight on!!

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Hello Chichimaine,

I am on third day and also no SEs except i get sleepy sometimes. But my onc told me the SEs won' t show before one week of Xeloda. However, do not concentrate on SEs sometimes you don't have them as each body is different, you may experience tem or you may not. At my first dx wheh i got ACT on taxotere my doctors didn t talk to me about any SEs and i didn't get any except water retention. 

I hope you keep doing welln on it and if you want the xeloda thread just from the menu click on search and purpt Xeloda and you will get the thread it is called all about Xeloda but frankly there isn't much mainly the hand and foot syndrome. I personally got through the internet from the UK Derlife a lotion made of urea it is for both hands and foot and Onicolife gel drops for nails it is specially for chemo and radiation. Here is the web address if you are interested and the delivery was fairly fast.

www.againlifeitalia.com

Info@againlifeitalia.com

I hope this helps. 

• chichimaine
    edited September 2014

Thanks, Woodylb!  I did find the thread - All About Xeloda.  And thanks for your encouraging words of wisdom.  I agree...I'm usually better off not knowing the SE's.  It just makes you think about them and sometimes bringing them on.  I'm doing well...I've called the pills my torpedos and I launch them one by one at the mets and any of those stinking little C cells.  Hoping It will "sink C's battleship!" lol  Blessings to all and keep up the good fight!!

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited September 2014

I have been on Xeloda since December of 2012. I will tell you that the SE will vary in the first two weeks. After that , I felt like my body adjusted and I could sort of tell what was giong to happen when.  The biggest SE is the fatigue so if you feel very very tired, it is probaly the Xeloda.  Also, don't be afraid to tell your oncologist about your  SE and how you are feeling. they can adjust the does, the schedule (switch to 7 on 7 off) or give you an extra week off.  Definitely take with food.  Try to stay off your feet as much as possible.  I got a rash from Xeloda that itched llike crazy the first few cycles. I haven't had it since.  So don't be surprised if you get a rash.  Hang in there.  Your body will adjust.

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Hi leftfootforward,

I hope you stay on xeloda for a long time. Thank you for the tips as i mainly feel sleepy most of the time, so take a long nap in the afternoon. But i have been on it only sinve the 24th of this month. Are you taking something for her2+ besides xeloda? Like herceptin ? I am not her2+ but when they did my liver biopsy her2 showed borderline , FISH was done it came back negative. But since i am doing an intelligent genomic testing in germany they had to redo the pathology in another hospital and the her2 came back +3 a deffinite positive so they are retesting the FISH because of the previous one. The results will be out this week. My MO says if it is positive my whole treatment will change. It is very rare for an ILC to turn positive . Any ideas? 

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2014

I have liver mets, and burning feelings in liver area and back pain. I am small too 105 lbs. I just got news that my humor markers are up, from 38 to 92 not surprised as I have had no chemo  3 months, a break after last treatment. i will go to onc monday and then probably a new chemo??? Please pray for me and give me advise about the pain/ burning feeling I get. 

becky 

i have fear and anxiety and need to trust that all will be well, at least  a new treatment to try...

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited September 2014

Woolylb-

I take Tykerb for the Her2+.  I had brain mets and this was thought to give me the best chance of treating the cancer in my brain.  I am not on a herceptin derivative at this time.  That is because on my initial treatment A/C followed by Taxol/herceptin, followed by Herceptin, I suffered some heart problems.  My EF fell from 6-% to 34%.  They took me of the herceptin all togehter early before ai finished my year on it alone.  it has bounced back to around 45% now and is stable.  My cardiologist suspects that the damage is from both the Adriomacin and Herceptin, but my oncologist is avoiding all Herceptin derivates until we really have no choice. They don't want to risk the possiblitly of further heart damage.  I thnk the red devil had more to do with my heart issues than the herceptin and am hopeful that when the time comes, I will be able to tolerate the herceptin products.  

there are many new drugs to target Her2+ and for that I am thankful.  Tykerb and Xeloda are doing their job so well right now that I hope to stay on them for a very long time.

i hope they find the right combination for you.  Once you have a plan it is always a litle easier.  I hate the waiting to figure it out stage

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Thanks leftfoot, 

I believe your heart problem is mainly from adramaycine too, herceptin may cause heart problem in the long run. As long as your getting treated for her2 and it is working it does not matter really. My waiting is only about her2. As my cancer is reoccurrent    and it is the same as the first with the difference of activity on her2. Even though it shows positivity two of my MO are pessimistic that it would turn positive and one is optimistic and is hoping for it , as it will give him many options in treatment. As for me i am praying  to make it what it should be. ((HUGS)).

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Bestock, 

If the pain is caused by a progression and they put on a new med , the pain will lessen , otherwise you should talk with your doctor about this burning so he dan refer you to a pain doctor or he himself can prescribe something. I have liver mets but so far without symptoms with a little discomfort n the right side  and sometimes a dull pain in the liver area. But it is rare and i prefer not to take anything. Each cancer however is different and my advise is that you tell your doctor how you feel . I wish you pain free days and peaceful nights :)

• redwolf8812
    edited September 2014

Prayers, Becky.  Please keep us posted.

- Penny

• hydeskate
    hydeskate Member Posts: 45
    edited September 2014

My next scan is in november, I was dx out of the gate in 2008 with TNBC Stage IV with mets to liver and lungs.  I have been off Chemo since oct 2009 after 2 NED scans was suppose to be short lived according to the doctor's that was like 5 or 6 years ago.  I was dx with an Auto Immune disorder as soon as my immune system came on line called Sjogren's.  I am however taking an old chemo drug Methotrexate but in low dosage  8 2.5mg pills every week to somewhat help the flares caused by Sjogren's. 

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

wowwww hydeskate, wonderful and impressive and i hope it continue to be NED foe a long time. As long as the immune disorder is under control you will be fine. Thank you for posting this it gives all of us fighting with liver mets some hope. Be well and may god bless you . :))

• bestock
    edited September 2014

thanks to all for prayer. Will be going to dr today. I most likely will be on new treatment after scan..9which will show me what causes the pain). My tumor makers are up.  will let you all know.

becky

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2014

Becky, best of luck.

Leah

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited September 2014

Prayers for you Becky and best of luck. 

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Good luck Becky , prayers heading your way . Keep us posted

• Wilsie2
    Wilsie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2014

CT found liver mets today   After I get over the,shock and disappointment, I will dry my eyes and read all this info.  I will be on Taxol now  Wilsie

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2014

Oh, Wilsie, I'm so sorry to hear you got this news. I know how you feel - after over 4 years of bone only mets I was dx with liver mets in August. It stinks, plain and simple.

It takes time to get used to the dx, and I'm not sure if I have yet. I spend a lot of time pretending I don't know. You know, LALALALALA.

Leah

• Woodylb
    edited September 2014

Wlisie2,

So sorry you got this news, i cannot tell you it will get better, but i can tell you will learn to live  with it. It is not easy but believe some ladies have been ,living with it for quite sometime. I hope your doctors will succeed in finding the right combination for you which will halt this cancer and keep it at bay. Hang in there , taxol will do a good job in shrinking it. My prayers are with you. Keep us posted. 

• redwolf8812
    edited September 2014

So sorry to have to welcome you here, Wilsie2.  Prayers for you and yours.

:-) Penny

• bestock
    edited September 2014

Thanks all of you for prayers,Dr not too worried, about the mets as i have grat liver function on bloodwork.... I will have a scan next weeek, pain on side and back concern me.I will let you know after I get results.

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited September 2014

Oh my....haven't been on for a while & it's been a busy place.  Sorry we have new liver metsters...but we're here to say we aren't giving in & expect you to feel the same :).   Penny...I'm sorry I missed that you'd had a hospital stay...but my prayers encompass all, every day, and I'm glad you recovered quickly!  As for alcohol, my onc said there was nothing to do differently with my mets dx, except not drink any alcohol.  I don't drink anyway (never liked it), aside from a baileys at Christmas, but I won't even do that. For a control freak, it's one thing I can do to maybe keep my liver a bit happier.  

Leftfoot...glad to hear you're doing well...and good news for Woody to hear...that xeloda is working!  Hope it works many, many years!!!!   My onc wanted it for me with Navelbine, but ins said no and agreed to perjeta.  I have my 3rd echo on the 16th...seeing how herceptin is doing 20 mos later (not counting the year in 2010).  My heart function has been very good so I'm hopeful for another good test.  Bestock...was there a reason you went off treatment?  Was it to rest due to ses?  My onc has said stable is great but I'll never get a break.  It's such a bummer but she said it WILL come back...that made me gulp.  Which leads me to my Sept 11 appt being cancelled.  They said my onc was out of the office.  She always writes my upcoming orders at our monthly appt.  I had a hunch there would be a glitch but figured she'd fill it out on her return. At chemo last week, there were no orders.  My onc is not back and they said she won't be back until Nov...if then.  I'm devastated.  We go back to 1st dx and I've not had any other dr.  I'm praying she'll return.  She's got an amazing reputation for keeping stage 4s alive!  Gotta run...grandbaby awake!  XOXO

• Jaytee
    Jaytee Member Posts: 738
    edited September 2014

Hello everyone......l have been reading this thread, but hadn't as yet posted.  I think I have been waiting to see how I am doing before jumping in or sometimes just trying  not to think about it.  

bestock.....I had some pain too...on the right side that would radiate around to my back, it seemed worse at night. My onc has me taking a low dose pain med and it is pretty well controlled.

I have been getting treatments every 3 weeks of taxotere, herceptin, and perjeta...although after my 4th treatment, she cut off the herceptin and perjeta because of heart issues. Like leftfootforward, my heart was affected by A/C chemo during my initial diagnosis back in 2010.  I did get a year of herceptin in at that time, although my ef got to a low of 42.  The number got back up to close to 60 after treatment though....so I am hoping to be able to continue with the herceptin and perjeta....especially after reading this week about how perjeta and herceptin together is showing such good results. I am a bit worried that they might not let me continue with it although a follow up heart echo showed that a month after stopping it, the number did not drop any further. They want to do another echo in Nov to check it again.  As it goes, the taxotere seems to be doing a number on the liver mets, and on me too!  After my 3rd treatment...the spots were almost 75% gone....I just had my 6th treatment last week so will have scans again next week. So hoping that it's still working even with stopping the h & p!  Scan time comes around so quickly now!  

It is encouraging  to see that there are many different chemos that can fight liver mets....although I wish none of us had to be here.  Hugs and prayers to you all!

judy

• Jaytee
    Jaytee Member Posts: 738
    edited September 2014

RonnieKay........prayers up for you to have good results on your echo!  And hopefully your onc will be back!  Mine is closing her office in our town....and I will have to drive 30+ miles to see her now.  I really trust her and love the staff too...don't think I would want to change drs now even if I could!  I