How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited March 2019

Grannax2, is your PCP going to address your low Hgb, Hematocrit and rbc values? How are your platelets and white cells?

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited March 2019

Yes I’m sure she will when I go in for labs next week. My WBC and platelets are fine.

Daniel do you live in the Dallas area, too

• Daniel86
    Daniel86 Member Posts: 207
    edited March 2019

Grannax,

My wife is from East Dallas. We lived right off the arboretum until 8 years ago then moved to the Colony when we sold our house and now we are back to my home country, Italy because when we found out about her diagnosis we just couldnt afford insurance anymore. Italian healthcare covers pretty much everything without copays when you are diagnosed with cancer. Thats our story in a nutshell 😀

• Grannax2
    edited March 2019

Daniel I live in Garland, south of I 30 at Bobtown. We would have been pretty close when you were in east Dallas. Italy. That's a big move. So far I haven't had to pay anything except my Medicare and supplement premiums. But, that has not kept me from having information sharing problems. My friend who has a masters in informatics says it's nationwide. Ugh

• Grannax2
    edited April 2019

My PET is Monday, invent be long now till I know what's going on inside me. Hard to explain to those who have never been here. It does seem like I'm having more right shoulder blade area pain. That worries me of course. So, by next Thing I should know what treatment I will be starting. Only one more week to go. I'm so ready to know what the new plan is, I'm always better when I have a plan.

How is everyone? There hasn't been as much activity here as usual.

• Leee
    Leee Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2020

Has anyone had Taxol work for liver mets?

I'm nervous for upcoming scans since it progressed on Ibrance/Faslodex.

• blainejennifer
    blainejennifer Member Posts: 441
    edited April 2019

Leee,

Take everything I say about Ibrance with a huge grain of salt, as it FUBARed my liver. I had been about 5 years with bone only when I went on Letrozole/Ibrance. Within 3 months, I developed a 3cm liver lesion.

And, I'm not the only one. I have heard of more folk not benefiting from it than vice-versa. But, do remember that I am bitter about Ibrance.

Taxol should be great for liver mets, if you haven't done it before. I had used up a lot of the kick-ass chemos before developing the liver mets. I stayed stable on Doxil and Navelbine. Halaven was great, and got me to NED for a bit. I am now on Gemzar/Carboplatin, and while it is messing with my platelet levels, it is really doing the anti-cancer job. All my liver values are now in the normal range. My TMs have gone from 1,600ish to 268.

This is a long winded way of saying that Taxol should be great. Are they talking about weekly or dose dense?

Hope everything works out for you!

Jennifer

• Kayla250
    Kayla250 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2019

Grannax2 - time sure is crawling isn’t it. Seems like forever. I am also a week away from my new protocol. I had progression and I’ll be starting Xeloda next Thursday. My pain is worsening too.

I too had an immediately fail with Ibrance/letrozole. My main tumour doubled in size and ended up with double the amount of smaller tumours, in the course of 3 1/2 months.

I have been wondering a lot about if X is the right move, I think I’ll enquire about Taxol next week, this extra pain and discomfort has me worried

• Rt_chicago
    Rt_chicago Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2019

Hi Grannax2 and Kayla250. Thinking of you both. I know the waiting is the worst. 🙏🏼

I had my 2nd weekly Taxol treatment today. It went smooth with no reactions. I’m sure I will be up all night because of the steroids but I’m thankful they have helped. They reduced dose from last week just like you said they would Grannax2. :) I felt pretty good this week, just a little achy from time to time. I hope time goes by fast for you while you wait for scans and new treatment plans.

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148
    edited April 2019

Lee...I started with an over 13cm liver lesion. 4 months of Taxol/Gemzar decreased the tumor volume 50%. Last scan in Feb showed very little additional decrease, but stable and no progression. Hope Taxol is killing off those mets for you too!

PB

• pboi
    edited April 2019

At mets diagnosis, I had a very large liver tumor. I went straight to Taxol/Gemzar to gain control of it. My second opinion MO at Stanford.mentioned had my tumor not been so large, she would have started me on Faslodex/Ibrance. Arimidex failed me, leading me to the mets diagnosis.

Now that I have stability, my second opinion MO is recommending Faslodex/Ibrance. My primary MO doesn't think that will work for me. Is this hormonal combo effective for liver mets? My primary MO is suggesting I stay on Taxol/Gemzar until it fails, and then suggests Doxil next.

Any advice?

PB

• Praying4u
    Praying4u Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2019

I too failed on I/L after 1 year.for bone mets only. CT detected a vague mass in the liver in Jan 2019. We decided to wait and rescan in March and SURPRISE original mass double to 4cm and a new one at 2 cm plus numerous smaller mets. I start Taxol tomorrow (1st timer on chemo). Hoping to get stable enough to go back on hormonal after biopsy in the future. Good luck to you all

• Silv-509
    Silv-509 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2019

I just started Doxorubicin liposome this morning and I will be sure to keep posting. So far so good although I know they say the side effects can kick in after 2-3 days. I had weekly Taxol for 19 treatments and tolerated it very well. It was time to change chemo due to mixed response mostly in the liver on my last P.E.T. scan 3/2019

of course it would be great to hear from others on Doxorubicin liposome.

Thank you!

• Grannax2
    edited April 2019

silv what is the drug you're on? Way back in the day, I took Adriamyacin also called doxorubisin. So, are you on the _"red devil" or a variation of it? I don't know much about the newer variations because all my IV chemotherapy was done many years ago.

Rtf Chicago. I'm so glad for no reaction from the reduced dose of steroids. Yay

Kayla. Yep we're on the same schedule feeling the same things. Hopefully we'll both feel better in a week when we get our new plan in place.

As a diabetic, I hate the prep for PET. Makes me very cranky, especially the no coffee the day of. But, I've been losing weight, not on purpose, and my PCP has already taken me off of some of my meds. Your blood sugar has to be under 200 or they won't do the PET. Maybe it won't be as much of a problem this time. Hope so.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited April 2019

Silv... I found Doxil quite tolerable. Hope it is for you as well.

Grannax, the Doxil Silv is taking is a bit different than the red devil, in that it has a liposomal coating that removes a lot of the horrific side effects.

Have a nice weekend, all

• Kayla250
    edited April 2019

yes, to all of us, a great weekend. Let our next scans be 'no progression' and our next treatments 'no side effects'.

Although, I don't know what I'd do without the fatigue side effect, it has been a nice excuse for me these days (just kidding), it would be nice to have some side effects that give unbelievable energy, supple skin and thick, luscious hair; a girl can dream can't she? I digress, have a great weekend.

Heart

• MJHJAN1014
    MJHJAN1014 Member Posts: 622
    edited April 2019

Hello,

Received second Doxil liposomal infusion yesterday. Had no side effects at all, but know as you go along things can show up. Anyway,I am so happy to still feel well. They do ice my wrists and ankles to restrict blood flow to reduce possibilty of HFS and neuropathy. Totally different experience from being zapped in 2014 with Cytoxan/Taxotere for the Stage l. Thank heavens. Best to all, Mary Jane

• Leee
    edited January 2020

Well, liver mets have increased on the 12 weeks of Taxol. Saw the portal and will see onco on Wed.

I can hardly breathe ...

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited April 2019

Leee, I am so sorry for the scan results. I had hoped that you would receive good news.It is unfortunate that you have to wait until Wednesday to meet with your oncologist. The wait is never easy. I know that it will be good to meet and get a plan into place for your next treatment option. I am holding you in my thoughts.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• Kayla250
    edited April 2019

Leee, I am so sorry for the bad news. I wish there were words, but there is not. I will hold you in my thoughts and prayers.

• Rt_chicago
    Rt_chicago Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2019

Leee I’m so sorry. I’m frustrated and angry. I hate this disease. I promise to be praying for you and thinking of you. You will get a new plan for treatment and it will work. Hang in there.

Michelle

• pboi
    edited April 2019

Lee,

I am so sorry. There really are no words. Had you and your MO discussed what treatment might be next for you? My thoughts and prayers are with you.

PB

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited April 2019

Silv (and MaryJane), I also found Doxil tolerable. I took it for 9 months in 2018 and was disappointed when it was time to switch. Typically, the skin side effects may crop up around cycle 2 and then usually go away around cycle 3. Go easy on ANY friction on your hands and feet 1 day before - 5 to 6 days after infusion. Also watch for any friction on any areas of your skin during this time, especially in your trunk area - from fitting clothes or seams on clothes, etc. The littlest thing may cause rash or blisters in the first few cycles. I had some rashes a few weeks out of the first month or two and extreme feet blisters for a few weeks in month two but was fine after that. I loved no hair loss and a relatively short infusion every 4 weeks. I cut out the premeds after two or three infusions. Super convenient. I think part of the reason I had such bad feet blisters was that I did Y90 at the same time with little to no chemo break - I took no chemo break after my right lobe Y90 and a one week break after my left lobe. My liver was recovering from the right lobe Y90 and couldn't properly get the Doxil out of my body in month two. I had no issues after the left lobe Y90 though. I also didn't know about reducing friction during the window before and after treatment (until I read the Doxil patient instructions on the manufacturer's website) and did some heavy running/walking and had a pedicure right after my infusion. Best if I had waited a week for those items but I didn't know at the time. Also, toward the end, I had some issues with low hemoglobin/anemia and required a blood transfusion but that didn't start until 6 or 7 months into treatment. Besides those items, I pretty much felt "normal" which was a nice change in metsland.

• Leee
    edited January 2020

Thank you all!

The plan was Taxol for 12 weeks/scan/12 more weeks so I have no idea until I meet with onco on Wed.

I’m so scared, and emotional that they won’t have a treatment that wiill work.

Hugs,

Lee

• Grannax2
    edited April 2019

Leee. I'm scared with you. My liver monsters are my biggest concern right now. How much have they grown, what will they respond to, will I be a candidate for another y90.? So many unanswerable questions running through my brain. The only answer is WAIT. Frustrated, but I am getting closer to answers. Trying to stay busy this week so time will pass faster. I wish I had a magic wand for us.💞

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited April 2019

Hi all.  Just checking in. I haven't posted here for a while.  I usually post on the Ibrance Thread since I am on Ibrance, but I read this thread often.  I am due for my 3 month CT this month.  Last CT they saw "artifact" or a little something new on the liver so this CT will relook at that area.  I am on cycle 16 of Ibrance and so I always wonder how long it will continue to work for me.  Will this be the time when we change treatments?  Praying for all of you--Grannax on your upcoming scans and new treatment plan, Lee on what is to come next, and all those who post here.  

• GracieM2007
    GracieM2007 Member Posts: 1,255
    edited April 2019

Hi all! I had progression in liver (a lot), so I'm off of Abraxane after 9 months. I have a liver biopsy next Wednesday to see if the beast has changed, then back to something. I'm pushing for Xeloda, onc really wants Halaven... We'll see! Am really nervous about the biopsy, but my onc said he wanted a big biopsy for foundation testing, which we tried to do in September, but they didn't have enough! Don't come in much, but follow along reading! I need a lot more time and hate that this progression has been so massive!

• Bornfighter
    Bornfighter Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2019

GracieM2007,

Doing liver biospy is a very routine and uneventful procedure in large cancer centers. Don't be nervous. Now that you have more progression, they will have easier time getting enough specimen. Anectodally Halaven seems to work well. Have you considered targeted therapy based on the biopsy results? You will wait a little longer to get the biopsy results but you will get to save the big guns (Xeloda, Halaven and others) for later and hopefully you won't need them. Good luck.

• Grannax2
    edited April 2019

Gracie that's a bummer for sure. There is just no rest for us, from one thing to another, it's a wonder we can stay sane. Sometimes, I'm not sure I am sane anymore. This whole dealing with Stage IV is a nightmare. Somebody please wake me up. I think my liver monsters worry me the most. They are so darn stubborn and resistant. I'm not having a good day.💞

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited April 2019

Gracie, I am sorry to hear about the progression in your liver. I know it is shocking, scary, and frustrating to hear such news. I hope the liver biopsy is easy for you. Remember that your opinion about your next treatment matters. If your MO recommends Halaven over Xeloda, ask why. Maybe the reasons will convince you that Halaven is the better choice. If not, make sure your MO is aware of your concerns and reservations. You can also ask if there are any other options. You are the person who is impacted by the decisions made, so you have a right to voice your thoughts and make an informed decision. Please let us know when you have a plan on place.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne