Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,164
    edited September 2020

Anewbreath, I'm too new to all of this to offer you anything more than a hug, but I'm sending one of those your way.

BevJen, thanks for the links.

coolbluewater, I'm so sorry to hear of your sister's progression. I hope the chemo knocks it back quickly.

As for me, I got good enough news about the elevated TMs. They've come down a little, so we are going to stay the course on treatment and scan schedule. I'm still waiting to get the patient portal information, and I'm looking forward to being able to see the reports myself <-- not that it changes anything except satisfying my curiosity.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited September 2020

Coolbluewater...so sorry to hear about your sister. When she did the immunotherapy I am assuming she was triple negative??? I guess that only stopped since her cancer changed types? I have never heard of cancer changing types so quickly? Yes...they do say that with with Grade 3 (rapidly dividing cancers) that chemo tends to work best. Is your sister at City of Hope?

• HopeandGratitude
    HopeandGratitude Member Posts: 520
    edited September 2020

coolbluewater - thank you for updating us on your sister. Good to hear she had 6 months, but so shocking and sad to hear the news of progression when it had seemed to be under decent control. Did she get any scans during the 6 months? I am sending prayers that the chemo works to knock this back. I know how hard it is to be away from family at this time. The pandemic makes it that much harder. Hopefully you can stay as close as possible with the tech available today. Thank you for your good thoughts for us. Sending prayers and well wishes for you as well.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,340
    edited September 2020

Hi all. I wanted to let you know the results from my last scan say that " No definite foci of skeletal or hepatic metastatic disease are noted on the current study." I believe this means the liver tumors are no longer active. I am in the middle of my third cycle of Xeloda so it worked quickly for me. I don't see my onc for two weeks, but she sent me this quick quip to let me know. Thank you all for the "pocket" prayers. I appreciate you.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited September 2020

IntoLight- Thank goodness!!!! I hope Xeloda continues to work for you for a lllooonnnggg time. Good news is always good to hear.

How long were you on I/L before going to X? I too am bone/liver and on I/L--on cycle 33 right now. And I see you was diagnosed in 2016?! Me 2017.

• HopeandGratitude
    edited September 2020

IntoLight- such FANTASTIC news. So happy. Keeping you in my prayers that this is your “miracle” drug!!!! This was a PET???

Candy-678 - cycle 33? Thats pretty close to 32 months right? (28 day cycle?). That is so AWESOME. prayers for many more.

I LOVE this news that these drugs can work so long for some people. My dream is still to get drugs that work much longer and for so many more.....if a cure is not on its way, please Lord,longer acting drugs with better QOL. We have so much living to do!!

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited September 2020

IntoLight,

Oh, that's such wonderful news. And so kind of your MO to send you the information promptly.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited September 2020

IntoLight, awesome news!

• candy-678
    edited September 2020

HopeandGratitude- Yes. Started Ibrance in Nov of 2017, I believe.

• nicolerod
    edited September 2020

Intothelight AMEN!!! Thank you Father!!!!!

• coolbluewater
    coolbluewater Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2020

yes for great news, Into Light!

Hope and gratitude: Her cancer changing types has been the weirdest thing. One of her doctors believes that cancer is never one type but the tumor can contain many different types...I don’t think I have that quite correct but something like that. She had one good scan at 3 months - then this one.

She is not at city of hope. I only know the name of her oncologist!

• Anewbreath
    Anewbreath Member Posts: 122
    edited September 2020

BevJen/Curios - thank you for the Study on CDK’s. I’m about 5 hours away from a NCCN. I’m going to wait out test results and compile more information to visit with my doctor.

appreciate everyone’s kindness during this change.

So happy to hear when, those of use who have treatments that work and quality of life...blessings!

Have aSafe and wonderful Labor Day weekend.

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited September 2020

Short update: My CA 15-3 went down a little more to 7.1. Maybe those mets in my left lobe are not real mets at all. Wouldn't that be wonderful?💞

• BevJen
    edited September 2020

Grannax,

I don't know the answer to this but could there be some scar tissue from the Y90 treatments? Or necrosis of the tumors that were there? Congrats on the low numbers.

• nicolerod
    edited September 2020

Grannax yes hopefully they are not mets!!! :)

• seeq
    edited September 2020

IntotheLight and Grannax - great news for both of you!

• HopeandGratitude
    edited September 2020

Grannax - it would be wonderful! Praying it’s true

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited September 2020
    IntoLight, wow, Madame X worked quickly for you! That is awesome news. Hope I'll get the same in a couple weeks.

Grannax, that would be awesome. Congrats on the low numbers!
  • Kattysmith
    Kattysmith Member Posts: 688
    edited September 2020

After 10 months on Xeloda, which has now failed big time, I'll be starting weekly Taxol in two weeks after my washout period. I'm in my 5th year of treatment for MBC the last two years with liver mets. I've been through heavy-duty IV chemo before (AC in late 2015/early 2016), so this won't be my first rodeo (and hopefully not my last), but I believe that using a heavy-hitter right now is indicated because of aggressive progression. I'll provide more details about what kind of progression my scan yesterday showed later - the news is still percolating, but I will mention that my cancer has neuroendocrine elements which makes effective treatment ever more difficult.

I hope you all have a good holiday weekend. I'm a pretty chill and very realistic (but not negative) person who is more of an under-reactor than over, so I'm looking forward to spending the next couple of weeks reading some good books and having a few stiff gin and tonics!

Cheers!

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 555
    edited September 2020

enjoy your time to yourself , kattysmith

May taxol be easy on you and hard on tumours.

G&Ts - yum !

• candy-678
    edited September 2020

Katty- So sorry to hear of your progression. May Taxol work on those buggers and be mild on you.

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited September 2020

Katty, what a good plan for dealing with progression. I love a good book, get lost it in and forget the real world. Wish I liked gin and tonic, about the best I can do is a few sips of a frozen Margaritas. Hahaha.

• BevJen
    edited September 2020

Katty,

Sorry to hear about progression. Sounds like you already have a plan in place, which is good (and definitely less stressful than not having a plan). Hope the taxol beats it back once again.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 760
    edited September 2020

Kattysmith

Sorry about your progression. So frustrating. I have Neuroendocrine too. I sent you a private message.

Dee

• HopeandGratitude
    edited September 2020

Katty - so sorry to hear about the progression. Glad you have a plan in place. I do hope you are able to enjoy some down time, reading and enjoying some BIG G&Ts.

You seemed to do really well on ibrance? was there any talk with your MO about recycling back on to a CDK inhibitor? After the heavy hitter time?

• seeq
    edited September 2020

Katty, I'm sorry to hear about your progression, and I'm inspired by your positive attitude. I think you earned those G&Ts - I'm more of a beer/wine girl myself. ;)

• Kattysmith
    Kattysmith Member Posts: 688
    edited September 2020

Grannax, a margarita also sounds great, but make mine on the rocks with a salted rim!

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,340
    edited September 2020

Candy, I was on I/L four years (52 cycles) before progression. Yes, I was dxd with bone/liver mets de novo in May, 2016. My onc only does diagnostic PET unless something else is warranted like a bone scan, etc., but it has not been necessary yet. My liver progression tumors were too small for a biopsy or she would have done that. I am sure it is tied to the insurance as I am with Kaiser, but they have treated me wonderfully. They have their own machines, etc. I have no co-pay for anything except for $10 for my meds.

• HopeandGratitude
    edited September 2020

IntoLight- 4 years is amazing on I/I pray for four and more for you on xeloda!

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited September 2020

Katy- sorry about the progression. I will tell you that switching to weekly taxol kicked my liver Mets to the curb after xeloda failed me. I have high hopes for you. I did lose my hair at first but it grew back while on treatment N t. I only stopped treatment because I got into a clinical trial for my brain Mets.

Hugs.