Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• s3k5
    s3k5 Member Posts: 411
    edited November 2020

Lynne, so sorry to read about the chemo drug not working very well. You are one strong lady! Hope your MO has the next treatment plan chalked out. Would your MO recommend biopsy for the liver lesion?

My biopsy revealed that the tumor had changed from ER/PR positive to Negative. So I am triple negative now and my treatments will have to change accordingly.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited November 2020

Grannax glad it went well what are diffuse mets?

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited November 2020

Alabama - good news on the clear scans, hope they stay that way.

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited November 2020

Nicole Diffuse mets means that they are spread all over the liver. When he was explaining that if he tried to use yiirium to get all of my mets from 3cm down plus 100 diffuse mets it would completely overwhelm my liver and I would go into liver failure. Kinda scary. This is the first time I've had diffuse mets but obviously it's not a good word to see on my report.

I'll just have to hope and pray that I respond to Halaven like you have. 💞

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,163
    edited November 2020

Grannax, is there some tthought that the microwave ablation will have an abscopal effect on the diffuse mets? 'm assuming it's not practical to try to treat each met separately. I'm curious because my MRI showed 'numerous' mets, in addition to the two larger mets.

Also - am I correct that the y90 or ablation should 'kill' the tumor, while the CDK inhibitors 'suppress' the tumor? I'm trying to sort things out in my mind for future planning - whether there's a distinct advantage to one vs the other... when/if my largest tumor is small enough to treat locally. I'm also watching the local treatments thread - I just don't have anything to contribute.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2020

SeeQ,

I'll jump in here and hopefully Grannax or others will add.

I think that many interventional radiologists do think that taking out one or more lesions via ablation or Y90 can possibly have an abscopal effect on other mets. I have other mets in my liver in addition to the two that have been ablated. Since my ablation in 2019, they've done nothing but shrink ever so slightly.

To my understanding, CDK inhibitors suppress the tumor, and can cause stability or even some shrinkage. But even my interventional radiologist uses the term"kill" when he goes in for these ablations. On scans, there is usually a larger area than the original tumor, and the rim still lights up but the middle is described as necrotic tissue by the radiologists at my center.

• nicolerod
    edited November 2020

grannax the halaven is gonna work great 👍

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited November 2020

SeeQ, cdk inhibitors interfere with the tumor cell division. If I remember my cell bio I think it's from G1 to S phase of the cell division cycle. So it's not an instant killing of the cell, but rather preventing it from dividing. I think if it works well, existing tumor cells would eventually die off without being able to successfully divide.

I'm in the chemo chair with unreliable Wi-Fi so this is from my memory when I looked it up ages ago cuz one of my trial drugs is a cdk inhibitor (but when we got unblinded it turned out I was getting the placebo..)

• seeq
    edited November 2020

BevJen and moth - thanks for the information. I thought I had the gist of it. I'm trying to lay the groundwork (in my mind) for the eventual discussion with my MO. I've seen a few instances on BCO where someone is doing well on CDK inhibitor (Ibrance)...until they're not, and it seems like the little buggers come back with a vengeance. I may be reading too much into it, and maybe that's not the norm.

• arolsson
    arolsson Member Posts: 94
    edited November 2020

Hi everyone,my daughters spilled water on my keyboard so i am using akeyboard on the screen which takes forever.

scan results show amazing results on my 11cm tumor, down to 5.6 cm. but two new lesions. why is there always a but...they are close together and could go either way with continued treatment.staying on lynparza another month and then maybe adding a platinum chemo...got two units of blood so should feel better tomorrow. looks like a fourth xmas will be spent with scans, new drugs and worry. tomorrow i will focus on the glas half full.

• nicolerod
    edited November 2020

Arolsson...YAY!!! and ...hrmmmm not so yay...

Are you on Halaven?? This is something I do not understand...if some tumors die from the treatment but then there are new ones wouldn't that suggest that the new ones are a different mutation???

• BevJen
    edited November 2020

Amy,

Wow, that's some drop in size of the one tumor. And yay for the dropping markers as well.

A couple of things I would consider: could those smaller ones have been there and just not seen before? I always wonder about that. Also, as Nicole said, what about biopsying one of the new ones? Your cancer could have mutated further. Also, have you given up on local treatment? I think you were talking about that before. Perhaps you could think about that as well.

But yes -- you should celebrate the small victories. You are feeling pretty well, lynparza seems to be doing something good in your system, and you are considering other things that could help. Glass half full time.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited November 2020

Arolsson---Well glad the one went from 11cm to 5cm--wow. But I too wonder about the others. Could they have been there all along and not seen due to the 11cm large one? I think I would give it more time on the current treatment to see if the other 2 shrink.

• nicolerod
    edited November 2020

So Lynprazna is for BRCA positive cancers correct?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 760
    edited November 2020

arolsson

I just want to validate your feelings. I had a somewhat similar report In Aug- big ones shrunk lots of new ones

Celebrate the big one shrinking and let it sweep over you with joy! It’s amazing and will lessenyour tumor burden.

It’s ok to be sad about the mixed results. It stinks! Cancer doesn’t care about holidays. 😪😤 Once you process it and mourn the loss of a total good report- You can wrap it up in a bow and let it go!!

I hope you can enjoy the now with your girls and when you get a new plan, you will be reenergized and feel better going forward.

Dee

• candy-678
    edited November 2020

Nicole- Yes, Lynparza is a PARP inhibitor. Used for BRCA positive.

• arolsson
    arolsson Member Posts: 94
    edited November 2020

thanks all! MO thinks he can see the new mets on the previous scan.but why did they grow?maybe they were the same size but in shadow

oh well we shall see. yes i am on lynparza,did halaven a while back.

just had a kale smoothie--and then a chocolate bar. hugs all!

• BevJen
    edited November 2020

My original liver mets only showed as a shadow on a CT scan with contrast. It wasn't until I had an abdominal MRI that they showed up more distinctly.

• Grannax2
    edited November 2020

Bev Jen Did the do your MW with just a needle or laparoscopic? 💞

• Grannax2
    edited November 2020

SeeQ, I've heard of the abscopal effect, maybe that is what my MO and IR are thinking/ hoping for with me. I hadn't even thought about it till you mentioned it. It's definitely helped me today to hope for that. I don't understand how it works, it sort of sounds like magic to me. I can use a little magic in my life. 💞

• seeq
    edited November 2020

Amy, great news about the bigger tumor shrinking! Hoping those other two were just hiding our and will shrink along with it.

Grannax, I think we can all use a little magic!

• Grannax2
    edited November 2020

Tomorrow is my Lipiodol procedure. Hoping

It's easy and that I won't remember a thing about it. Lol

• BevJen
    edited November 2020

Grannax,

Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

Do you know exactly how he's going to do this? You said that he was going to do it in his office -- does he have imaging equipment there? It sounded, from your description, that he was going to inject the poppyseed oil in his office.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

Bev

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited November 2020

Grannax, I am right there with you hoping it’s easy, painless, quick, and forgettable. I am sure you will do well. Your IR will take good care of you.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• candy-678
    edited November 2020

Grannax- Lipiodol? I read your post on here that you were having microwave ablation. The same thing? I truly have not researched all this.

Prayers for you, my friend.

• nicolerod
    edited November 2020

Grannax...good luck with you in pocket! Keep us posted :)

• seeq
    edited November 2020

Grannax- I like that, "It's easy and I won't remember a thing about it." I wish that for you, too. Thinking of you tomorrow.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited November 2020

Grannax - glad to hear about tumor shrinking.

• Grannax2
    edited November 2020

Thanks everyone. My IR uses Lipiodol to light up the lesions he wants to Microwave. Evidently, it's poppyseed oil. It will be done through my artery ( transarterial) I think my wrist. Then on Wednesday, in the hospital he will do the MWA. I'm sure it will be CT guided. I am allergic to Iodine, contrast, so he will dose me up with steroids so that I won't turn into a lobster.

Yes , he has a procedure room in his new offices. He has all the equipment needed. But. It's only for procedures that can be done with mild sedation, like versed and fentenal, I guess he has a nurse anesthesist. Anything that needs an anesthesiologist he does in a hospital.

Yes, he knows me well and all of my allergies, etc. I'm in good hands.

I tried to get my son, the anesthesiologist, to get special privileges to come do mine on Wednesday but he said NO. "I do not do family" Well, bummer. I'm sure he's right but for me, that would be very comforting. 💞

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited November 2020

Grannax2, in your pocket for tomorrow. May it be just a blissful blurry nap.