Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Options

Comments

• deliciae
    deliciae Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks, everybody, for the kind thoughts!  I'm hoping the same good turnouts for all of us here.

Did they think it was the gemzar or carboplatin that caused your cardiac issues?

Great question, SyrMom. There was so much going on and I was so miserable during that time that I never even thought to ask, but I will find out and let you know what my doc says. 

• Memiller
    Memiller Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Options

God bless you!

• chanah
    chanah Member Posts: 90
    edited January 2014
    Options

So happy for you deliciae

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited February 2014
    Options

bump

• redwolf8812
    redwolf8812 Member Posts: 580
    edited February 2014
    Options

Well, the trial I started in December was a bust.  My first and only scans on it showed major progression.  The good news is that it's still "just" in the liver and all other vitals are good - praise God!  I talked to my oncologist 2 days ago - she's considering things like sir-spheres, chemoembolization, trying for insurance approval (again) of perjeta, and of course standard chemo.  She also managed to get me "unblinded" from the parp inhibitor trial I was on a year ago.  Turns out I was on the placebo so she's trying to get me compassionate use of the real thing - veliparib.  Should know by next week what the next plan is.  For now, I'm looking forward to a snowboarding trip the end of this month with friends and family.  They'll be about 25 of us - should be fun.

As always, prayers for all,

Penny

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited February 2014
    Options

Penny ... so sorry to hear of your progression, I've been there many times and know the feeling.  The good news, as you described, is there are other options.  Hang in there and I hope the insur. approvals come through quickly.  In the meantime, enjoy your snowboarding trip - awesome! 

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited February 2014
    Options

redwolf. Is your doc talking about kadcyla? Many her2+ women are on it now and it has great success rate

• redwolf8812
    edited February 2014
    Options

No, gritgirl.  I already failed on kadcyla.  But thanks for thinking of me :-)

- Penny

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited February 2014
    Options

Penny, 

I hope your onc will succeed in getting you the real treatment, even if you failed few treatments there are others and one of them may be your relief and with god grace will stop the progression. Warm wishes. 

• gonegirl
    edited February 2014
    Options

penny. I'm so sorry

• redwolf8812
    edited February 2014
    Options

Just got a call from NP - starting perjeta, navelbine, and perception this Wednesday.  Praying, praying, praying...

:-) Penny

• hollander
    hollander Member Posts: 93
    edited February 2014
    Options

Good luck on Wednesday, Penny! I hope this is the magic combo for you, and treats you gently.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  (((HUGS)))

• Woodylb
    edited February 2014
    Options

yayyy! My prayers are with you hoping it is your magic combo. Good luck on wednesday. Praying , praying, praying... Big hugs 

• gonegirl
    edited February 2014
    Options

penny. I'm praying with you

• jocanuck1951
    jocanuck1951 Member Posts: 214
    edited February 2014
    Options

that's a great combo Penny!  Crossing my fingers.  Jo

• Kjones13
    edited February 2014
    Options

I have a ct scan Friday...hoping that the herceptin and perjeta is still keeping everything stable! If so, it will be one year stable!

• SyrMom
    edited February 2014
    Options

Kjones ... good luck to you on Fri.  I know the anxiety scans create, just had mine last week!  Keep us posted.

• gonegirl
    edited February 2014
    Options

good luck, kjones and syrmom. I just had mine. Flare up cut in half with kadcyla

• Woodylb
    edited February 2014
    Options

syrmom and kjones good luck ! Keep us posted ... 

• redwolf8812
    edited February 2014
    Options

Just started herceptin, perjeta, and navelbine last week.  Going back today for more navelbine (assuming WBC are ok).   Leave for ski trip Thursday.  No treatments next week.  Will be scanned again after @ 3 cycles of this.

Praying for good scans for all.

Penny

• SyrMom
    edited February 2014
    Options

gritgirl ... wonderful report!!

Penny - keep us posted; enjoy your trip!

• Woodylb
    edited February 2014
    Options

Penny, good luck enjoy your trip...keep us posted. 

• Fitzy
    Fitzy Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2014
    Options

Penny, how was the snowboarding? 

I had a liver met biopsy a week ago, still haven't got results. Hoping I'm still er/pr+. What other test results have people had from a liver met bio, other than hormone receptor and HerU2 status?

First scan after two cycles of Abraxane showed stable, being scanned again after this 4th round in two weeks, also having a bone scan as have something suspicious on T11. Still feeling fine, training, working full time, except have a paid sick day on Tuesdays for Chemo (full time employment is certainly beneficial when you are Stage IV!)

• redwolf8812
    edited March 2014
    Options

Snowboarding was a bust for me. I was in too much pain. But my family and friends had fun so that made me happy. 

I had a liver biopsy only to check the ER/pr/her but they took extra and were able to go back and check Rb status. 

Keep us posted on your bone scan Fitzy. 

- Penny

• Woodylb
    edited March 2014
    Options

Fitzy, 

I am glad your liver mets are stable, it is a good sign, i hope in the next scan you will see regression. There are no other test in liver biopsy other then to check if the morphology of your cancer is the same as the first dx and of course check the er,pr, her2 for accurate treatment. As for the bone scan i hope it comes out clean , but you are getting treated and the treatment will effect the whole body. The same showed in my bone scan at the same time it showed in my liver. However, the scan did not confirm it nor denied it. Mine showed on my hips, and the end of my spinal cord. My onc did not want to do the biopsy for the bone , because he was more concrened in controling the liver, he told me the will assume there are bone mets, and the combo i have will treat bones, my scans are coming up after 3 cycles. Keep us posted on yours and good luck. :)

• Woodylb
    edited March 2014
    Options

Penny, i am sorry about your snowboarding bust, but at least you enjoyed your time with people you love. I hope you will snowboard again soon. May God be with you and lessen each bit of pain you are enduring. Big hugs .

• Kjones13
    edited March 2014
    Options

wanted to update as I had a ct on Friday. I am taking herceptin and perjeta and tamoxifen and Xgeva...for one year now I have been stable!!! And actually my 3 liver mets are now just 1!!! Hold on to hope :)

• Woodylb
    edited March 2014
    Options

Great news Kjones, hope the next time you post your liver mets will be nil...hourrayyyy!!! 

• SyrMom
    edited March 2014
    Options

Fantastic kjones!  I'm surprised about the tamoxifen though when on chemo.  Glad it's working!

• Kjones13
    edited March 2014
    Options

Thanks guy's! Syrmom--while on taxol I did not have tamoxifen, but h and p are biological agents (I think I'm saying that right) so they added tamoxifen after the taxol was done. I don't really know why h and p are ok with tamoxifen...good question!