Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2020

Yes, they did, but they only indicated that it was approved for trip negative, I think -- I wrote to the mods and said they should check bc of the TMB High and micro satellite approvals for all solid cancers (which would include breast cancer.)

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited December 2020

Stillhaveho....I think you might be misunderstanding..(as I also did about Keytruda)...you cannot get it unless you have mutations that warrant it...you are Triple negative...or have failed many..like 5 or more treatments and you have a Trip Neg mutation that would warrant you getting it. Or at least thats what I have been told.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2020

For Keytruda there are two indications for non TNBC tumors

It's in the FDA document pp 1-2 https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/lab...

They both require you to have essentially exhausted other treatments.

high tumor mutational burden

"Tumor Mutational Burden-High (TMB-H) Cancer • for the treatment of adult and pediatric patients with unresectable or metastatic tumor mutational burden-high (TMB-H) [≥10 mutations/megabase (mut/Mb)] solid tumors, as determined by an FDA-approved test, that have progressed following prior treatment and who have no satisfactory alternative treatment options."

microsatellite instability

"Microsatellite Instability-High or Mismatch Repair Deficient Cancer • for the treatment of adult and pediatric patients with unresectable or metastatic, microsatellite instability-high (MSI-H) or mismatch repair deficient (dMMR) o solid tumors that have progressed following prior treatment and who have no satisfactory alternative treatment options"

• nicolerod
    edited December 2020

Thank you Moth..that is the correct way of wording what my MO said :) lol

Ladies... I made a thread https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/878401?page=1#post_5619556

and I was hoping you all might give me some input...thanks...

• BevJen
    edited December 2020

Moth,

I've discussed this with my MO, and she said that they can give me keytruda under the FDA approval. I am NOT TNBC, but I do have tumor mutational burden high. I am only on second line -- first line was letrozole alone from 2006-2019 (I assume they count this as first line) and now I'm on Ibrance/faslodex (so that would be my second line). The molecular tumor board at my institution has also put this into my bucket for future treatments -- they suggested piqray next (I have a PiK3CA mutation) and then keytruda (based upon my tumor mutation burden high status) and then neratinib/nerlynx (I have 2 ERBB2 mutations).

I guess the "no satisfactory treatment options" determination is in the eye of the beholder? But my institution seems to feel that it would be okay for me. Maybe that's a bold move, I don't know, but there you have it. And maybe different institutions are viewing this differently, just as some MOs would use some drug combos that may be off label or a little bit unconventional. I don't know.

• Stillhavehope
    Stillhavehope Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2020

BevJen

My grade 1 highly er/pr+ “lazy” cancer as my Mo put it, came back triple negative after almost 6 years. I currently have stable Malignant ascites and stable pleural effusion in right lung. I currently don’t have solid tumors to biopsy but they tested the fluid. I’m on abraxane and trcentriq. I asked my Mo if I could switch to Keytruda and she said it wasn’t approved and it was only first line use. So that’s what was confusing to me. I thought I would be able to use Keytruda if present line fails

• nicolerod
    edited December 2020

Still...how did they know you are triple negative now if you said you don't have a tumor that can be biopsied?

• Stillhavehope
    edited December 2020

I had both ascites and pleural cavity drained initially, they tested the cancer cells in both and said they were triple negative, my last scan showed I still have some malignant ascites but no malignant pleural effusion. I also had nodules too small to test in omentum but those are gone. My Mo is going off those tests to say I am triple negative. In my tag line I can't find away to get rid of the first line of initial dia where it says"metastasized". I have looked and can't find anyone with similar diagnosis, so I asked you guys because you seem the most knowledgeable and up to date on these things. I hope no one minds

• BevJen
    edited December 2020

Still,

I think the bigger issue is if atezo fails, then it may not be feasible to use keytruda. Maybe that's what she means by "first line." I know that the immunotherapies each operate a little bit differently, but I would suppose that it's not the type of therapy that you could keep trying different lines of immunotherapy to see if another would work. Just my reasoning?

• nicolerod
    edited December 2020

sTill....are you stage 4? Do you have mets in bone or organ?

• Stillhavehope
    edited December 2020

yes I am stage IV no organ or bone involved just nodules on omentum that were too small to biopsy an that are currently gone at last scan. Still have malignant ascites (ascites with cancer cells circulating )

• nicolerod
    edited December 2020

Still...i am confused if the nodules were too small to biopsy how can they say you have Stage 4 cancer?

• Stillhavehope
    edited December 2020

Nicole

I guess because they could see on scans the nodules and the uptake of contrast plus the malignant ascites and malignant pleural effusion. I don't think you need a biopsy to know that your stage IV. My Dr is at Loyola and is well known in Chicago I guess I could ask her how she knows I'm stage IV? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be on this Chemo if I wasn't at least I hope not! I see that this is not a normal case believe me I was shocked at the diagnosis but I trust my MO

• Stillhavehope
    edited December 2020

Now I have lots of questions for Mo. I’m wondering why just fluid was tested, could they take a sample of omentum see if there were cancer cells? I’m very confused and so tired of this crappy disease

• BevJen
    edited December 2020

Still,

If the mets in your omentum were very small, it's possible that they couldn't have gotten a sample -- I recently had a biopsy of a lesion on my liver, but the doc told me -- I will biopsy IF I can see it with imaging, and I'm not sure that I can. That was a 1.2 cm lesion. I think with pleural effusions, they can just test the fluid, but your could nose around on the lung mets threads and see what you can find.

And yes, we're all tired of this crappy disease. All in the club we don't want to be in, unfortunately.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited December 2020

Thinking of you, Bev, as you go back for the ablation on Friday. May it be as smooth and easy as possible.

• BevJen
    edited December 2020

Thanks, SP. I'll update all of you.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,163
    edited December 2020

Yes, BevJen, in your pocket for "take two". They need to get it right this time.

• moth
    edited December 2020

good luck tomorrow Bev!

• ShetlandPony
    edited December 2020

Dee, I’m with you and your onc. Go for the neuroendocrine if you can.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 760
    edited December 2020

bevgen

May your procedure go well, be effective and no side effects.

Dee

• Stillhavehope
    edited December 2020

BevJen

Thank you for taking your time to explain some things! You have no idea how much it means to me! Most the time I feel so frustrated and alone in this stupid thing! I hope your procedure tomorrow goes smoothly and your recovery goes well too

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited December 2020

Has anyone had gum grafts (for gum recession) while on chemo? And if so, I need advice on what to expect with healing with low wbcs and platelets.

• nicolerod
    edited December 2020

In your pocket Bev! Its all gonna be good.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited December 2020

Pocket duty today for BevJen.

• BevJen
    edited December 2020

Just a quick check in, folks -- my re-ablation seems to have gone smoothly this morning. I was in the procedure room for only about 45 minutes, and then in recovery for a bit over 2 hours. All seemed to go well. I've been sleeping most of the day from the sedation, but otherwise not in any pain. Have a repeat MRI to look at the ablation site in 4 weeks. But feeling okay!

• moth
    edited December 2020

yay, thanks for checking in Bev!

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited December 2020

Thanks for letting us know BevJen, get some good rest and heal up.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 760
    edited December 2020

BevGen

Great news! Also good you get quick feedback - just 4 weeks. Y-90 is longer 8 weeks.

Dee

• ShetlandPony
    edited December 2020

Yay, Bev! I was hoping for your note.