Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited October 2015

thank you artistheart , i hope it does too infinity scares me but i will settle from year to year :))

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited October 2015

My onc called today - PET was yesterday. He said I should come in for blood test so he could determine what new tx should be. He didn't give me details and I'm not ready to hear them yet. When I got there, there was a note with the blood test script saying I should make an appt for Sun morning (don't panic - first day of the work week here in Israel) to start new tx. I still don't know what it will be. I emailed him to ask and also told him "I know coming chemos are tough,. Well, I'm tougher". In case he was debating based on SEs.

I'll let you know details when I know them. DH and I are going away Tues-Thurs so don't get nervous if I don't post before then.

Leah

• Garlikbread
    Garlikbread Member Posts: 33
    edited October 2015

I had liver ablation in dec and the worse part was giving myself those blood thinner shots everyday. My stomach had prickly bumps all over. The surgery itself went very well no real pain that I can recal

• Woodylb
    edited October 2015

Leah,

I hope and pray your PET results are not drastic and i am really sorry you have to yet through another tx. I hope he has a good option for you and pray God it is the right one.

Enjoy your trip your DH and please keep us informed. Sending you healing thoughts and strength.

• Mama2twinsplus2
    Mama2twinsplus2 Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2015

Thanks guys for the kind words! I have my blood redrawn on 09/30 and am trying to stay positive and calm. I am so glad to have others to relate too, makes you feel less alone!!\

• WorriedDaughter91
    WorriedDaughter91 Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2015

Dear all,

Mum has just had her 7th dose of Kadcyla and next week she's going to have MRI. Scanxiety is already here, since last MRI showed stability in liver, but a couple of lymphs in the sternum area a little bit enlarged (about 12-13mm). They didn't show up in PET, but still... Her blood test are good but her TM are not reliable.

I pray God that Kadcyla is doing its job and keeps working for a long time, since for mum its SEs are not too bad. But I keep thinking about those swollen lymphs...

Prayers to all of you, especially for who's having a hard time and is going to change therapy

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2015

Have a great trip Leah and rest your head for those 4 days. You can do this....

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited October 2015

contemplating taking a break from my xeloda. I've been in it for Almost 3 straight years. The fatigue is getting to me. I am in herceptin so am entertaining this thought. Wondering about others experiences on chemo beaks.

• Woodylb
    edited October 2015

leftfoot,

I do not know about that others the only time my onc gave me a break was when they could no longer administer the mes because of low blood s time around i asked my onc if i could stop perjeta sometimes in the near future, both my oncs had the same answer. In cancer in gemeral and stage IV specifically if something is working and holding the disease we do not change it. So you have to discuss this with your onc in depth and see its advantages and disadvantages. I hope you make the right decision. Hugs.

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited October 2015

it was actually suggested by a new oncologist. I am thinking about it. I never thought I would consider it. I have always said if it aint broke don't fix it. This has been my motto. I was surprised when she suggested it. But I do know that some women stay on only Herceptin and do ok so it is worth thinking about.

thanks for your input

• artistatheart
    edited November 2015

So my liver enzyme numbers have gone up but my tumor markers have gone down. So my Onc pushed my scans up to Thursday instead of the 19th. Anyone else have this happen and was it found to be an SE of Letrozole or Ibrance or was there progression? I have read a few postings and a few online reports that say Femara can cause this....

• LvinAZ44
    LvinAZ44 Member Posts: 107
    edited November 2015

just joined this club yesterday. after having some pain i thought was gallballder, no such luck 2 spots on lung and one on rib. Liver seems to have joined the party as well. Cant say much yet, had a biopsy today of liver. results maybe tues, maybe weds. Of course now I am back to what can i sell and where should i go live. I guess i am not so much worried about bone as the liver. can we treat this as a chronic disease? I almost made it to five year mark, This cancer sh&t sucks so bad!!!!!! I am going to try the herabl side of things and see if that helps. Meantime would like to hear some encouraging stories. PLEASE!!!!!!

• diana50
    diana50 Member Posts: 253
    edited November 2015

artist

Not unusual for liver enzymes to elevate from tx. TMs are different for everyone ; are your TMs generally spot on? Probably depends on how big the elevation is on liver enzymes but a scan seems like a good call to take a look.

Livin

Lots of liver metsters here and doing well. Options for tx too. I know very scary to have cancer in liver but often times tx shrinks the lesions and people do well. This thread has good info for us.

Woody is right. If stuff is working you stay with it. Until it stops working or SE's are a reason to change Tx.

Not sure how I am doing on gemzar but TM's dropped 400 points after 3 gemzar's. No scan until December or January. I think the drop in TM is good sign.

Hope all is well. Good scans and not too bad of SE.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015

Diana wowwww wonderful news ! Your tms dropping on Gemzar hopefully this will mean you are responding to treatment, i pray you get the confirmation on your next scan :)).

Artist

Like Diana said it is not unusual to have your enzymes elevated on a new tx. If your tms are reliable than you have good news.

Livin

I am so sorry you have joined the club of liver metsters, even though liver mets are not such good news and are worse than others, still there is hope and there are treatments to which your body will respond. In January i would finish my second year after liver mets . There are others who passed longer and much longer than this. I hope you are of the latter and wosh you well.

• artistatheart
    edited November 2015

Thanks Diana and Woody, I'm trying to work the scanxiety down to a better level. I have only had my TM's checked twice, once at the begining and once now, so haven't really developed a trend yet. My enzymes jumped huge though. From 14 to 253 and 26 to 150. Hope it's the tx. I'm trying to time the results call right to minimize any possible bad news trauma to my psych. Friday by phone from a Onc I don't know, go through the weekend with DH or Monday by my own Onc and possibly call into work sick from upset. What am I saying??? Think positive, think positive!! Good news Diana, keep it up! Thanks to you and Woody. Welcome Lvin, you will find this site tremendous support!

• LvinAZ44
    LvinAZ44 Member Posts: 107
    edited November 2015

Waiting to see if cancer changed to herz neg. Should be starting treatment this week. Chemo first for liver. Multiple lesions, Dr hopes to bring markets down after first couple whacks with chemo. Ugh..... I'm scared and hopeful. Hope, hope, hope

• diana50
    edited November 2015

lvin

My TM came down 400 points on gemzar. Had success with taxol a year ago. I believe in chemo and once you get started you will feel a little safer knowing you have cancer killer on board. Hang I there.

Diana

• GoldenGirls
    GoldenGirls Member Posts: 121
    edited November 2015

Sorry to jump in. I have a question about back and side pain from the liver for those of you who experience pain from your liver mets. Is the pain constant or do you only feel it when you move like a muscle pain?

Many thanks!

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited November 2015

Got back my liver biopsy results. It's ER+ PR+ Nu2- same as my initial BC.

Hoping the GDC 0810 works!!!!

Babs

• diana50
    edited November 2015

golden

I've not really had pain from liver mets. The only place I do have pain is top of lobe where lesion is. No back, side shoulder aches but some people do.

Good luck babs with GDC.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited November 2015

GoldenGirls, I know well how every ache and pain can provoke anxiety about cancer. But there are a lot of other less serious things that can cause pain, and I hope that is the case with your mom. To answer your question, for what it's worth, here is my experience with side pain from liver mets: Before the liver mets were discovered and treated, I had maybe three episodes of sharp side pain that lasted for about two or three days, then went away again. During these times movement did make it hurt more. I also had days that I felt a dull ache just below my sternum, that hurt when pressed. My liver enzymes were in the normal range, but if any doctor had poked me in the liver during those months, I think the mets would have been suspected sooner. I bet different people would have different answers to your question. With your mom already having a stage iv diagnosis, they will scan her liver if she has symptoms, right?

• Isy
    Isy Member Posts: 87
    edited November 2015

GoldenGirls, like Shetland my doc suspected something was up as soon as he felt my tummy and noted that my liver was swollen though I had no idea. I'd had some twinges every now and again but I wouldn't say they were painful. They came and went whether I was moving or not and continue to do so now I'm having treatment. Initially I also got right shoulder pain which is also indicative of liver problems but they went away shortly after treatment started. I think as we get older we all suffer from aches and pains but anything that is persistent should be investigated for sure

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015

Goldengirls,

I have had an upper abdominal side ache and shoulder and back ache since i was first diagnosed almost 5 years ago. Just last week i had an xray to both my ribs and sides and nothing showed. Nothing is showing on PET and i am currently NED and considered in remission. A week before that i had an xray to my knee which was hurting also it. Turned out i have a bad case of arthritis , nothing to do with cancer. So your pain may not be necessarily related to your cancer but it can be related to treatments, age, weight and so on... I hope it is the latter , it is better to investigate then worry or wonder. I have the same pain you have and i have no liver mets at least not one which are seen. I hope you soon have a clear reason.

• nancyh
    nancyh Member Posts: 185
    edited November 2015

GoldenGirls - for me the pain has varied a lot over the years. Mostly, I'd describe it as a dull ache, just a 2 or 3 on the pain scale, so I hardly even notice it, but occasionally I've had sharper pains, mostly in the top of my right shoulder. Nowadays, I have liver pain more frequently and it is actually in my liver, as well as my back and right shoulder. I also have chest pain on the right side, which I know is referred pain from my liver - it comes and goes.

• nancyh
    nancyh Member Posts: 185
    edited November 2015

Ladies - I'm joining you here on this thread. I read it all the time - not sure why I'm only just now posting, but anyway here I am. :-)

I've posted updates on other threads, but basically I've recently started adriamycin and it seems to be going pretty well. I actually feel better now that I've been on it for a month, so I'm feeling pretty confident it is kicking the cancer back. My liver feels less full and I'm actually able to eat a regular meal without feeling completely stuffed, so that has to be a good sign.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited November 2015

Welcome, Nancy. That's great that you are already feeling better on adriamycin!

• sonyarizzo
    sonyarizzo Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2015

HI, Anyone on here on Afinitor and Aromasin? I have liver and bone mets. I have been on Afinitor and Aromasin for about 2 months. We have uped my dosage from 5mg to 7.5mg and now I am on 10mg. My TMs and liver enzymes keep going up. My TM's are actually scary high. I have heard that this means the meds are working, or that it could be a flair. Just looking for other people with same mets on same meds with similar issues.

• Mama2twinsplus2
    Mama2twinsplus2 Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2015

Big hug to all my mets sisters this morning! I keep each and every one of you in my thoughts and prayers daily!!

Alissa

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited November 2015

As of now I've had no liver met symptoms. I have the natural aches and pains of a 66 year old- one with bad knees!!!!

Bab

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015

Nancyh,

Welcome to the thread and i am glad you are feeling better on Adrya lack of fulness is a good sign . Hoping you continue to improve.