Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2015

Leah, I am so glad to hear you are feeling better and were able to spend time with your family. It sounds like the new Tx is working and I pray for NED for you. Your positive attitude despite such bad initial news inspires us all. Hugs back at ya!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited November 2015

Liveformybabies, as far as driving, it depends on what kind of treatment you have. I think Sandilee's plan above is a good one. Here is a link to the American Cancer Society's Road to Recovery program, to help you find rides if you need them. Also, the hospital social workers may know of resources for you.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsser...

• ShetlandPony
    edited November 2015

Leah, thank you for your post and may you continue to feel better and better.

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited November 2015

Leah,

I am so glad to see your post and it is really appreciated that you posted , it may help a lot of other people. It sounds like your onc has a good combination which seems to be working for you since you already can eat better , this is very important to be able to eat so you can keep your strength.

Spending time with family is a wonderful thing it explains why we keep fighting. May you always be surrounded with such love.

I hope this combo keeps working until it gets you to a good place . My prayers are with you and wishes for continuing to feel better after each dose.

• Rosieo
    Rosieo Member Posts: 200
    edited November 2015

Hi ladies

I have mets to my lungs. I had one tx of genzar and carbo. Then 2 tx of just gemzar because of my platelets being low. MO has suggested he give me a tx of gemzar and carbo once every three weeks because of my platelet counts. My platelets were down to 67. Have to check today what they are. But the pain in my right side (upper back and side and around to front) has been getting worse. At first I could just take 2 naproxens at night and it would go away and I didn't even need it every night. Now the pain is worse. I am wondering if I have bone mets too as they say you don't necessarily get pain from lung mets. Anybody?

Rosieo

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    edited November 2015

Roseio,

I assume you meant to type liver, not lungs mets. I did have pain from liver mets similar to what you described, though it's always possible it could be something else. My pain came from the enlargement of the liver and how it pushed everything else inside of me out of place. The back pain was from a pinched nerve I really think. Soon as the liver inflammation relaxed, back pain hasn't been a problem. Pains in front, upper right rib cage area gone too after a few treatments (also gem/carbo.

• artistatheart
    edited November 2015

I am on Letrzole/Ibrance combo with the third cycle almost done. I have had a few twinges and aches in the right rib cage which kind of come and go. My liver enzymes are elevated a lot so was feeling a lot of anxiety. I was convinced things were progressing. My Onc decided to push up my scans. Today's results showed my TM's are reduced by half and all tumors have shown reduction in size and metabolic activity. She thinks the enzymes could return to normal on their own, it could be the meds. Just to be thorough she is having me see a Gastrinterologist for a second pair of eyes. So all in all a very good day. The relief is huge. Restores my hope and faith that meds can work and reminds me to not panic over one test result. Beautiful life goes on.

• diana50
    diana50 Member Posts: 253
    edited November 2015

Artist.great news. My onc is thinking Ibrance/femara too. Glad to hear it's working for you. Relief is right. Whew. 👊🏻👊🏻💃💃💃happy dance

The only time I have pain is after gemzar in the area my largest tumor is. Thinking it is from chemo killing the cancer with drop in TM.

Rosieo. Platelets dump on gemzar. Ask onc about a lower dose ? I'm sorry about your pain. Is it anywhere close to scan time? No scan for me until January.

Thinking about all liver metsters.

Hugs.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited November 2015

Artist

So happy for your great scan results!

Babs

• ShetlandPony
    edited November 2015

Artist, glad to hear your good news.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015

Artist,

Happy dance for you! Womderful news , God bless.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015

Diana,

I wish you luck on Ibrance/Femara i hope it gets to a good place so thumbs up!

• GoldenGirls
    GoldenGirls Member Posts: 121
    edited November 2015

A happy dance for all of you getting great results from your treatments!

• Mama2twinsplus2
    Mama2twinsplus2 Member Posts: 98
    edited November 2015

Artist,

So happy to hear your results!! Hugs!!

Alissa

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited November 2015

just said goodbye to my oncologist of 5 years. Very weird feeling. Sitting in the infusion chair for second to last time. It's hard to say goodbye to thevkniwn and convienent. But I have faith my new doc and treatment center will take care of m

• Kiss77
    Kiss77 Member Posts: 91
    edited November 2015

Left, my oncologist is leaving the hospital, too. And yes, the feeling is very weird. I still don't know if I'll follow her in the new place or will stay in the current hospital with other onc. As I'm on Xeloda and am visiting the center once in month, I don't rush with the decision.

• artistatheart
    edited November 2015

Diana, I hope this combo kicks butt on your mets and thanks for the happy dance. I do think there is something to feeling pain in the area meaning the tumors are shrinking or hopefully DYING off. Because I can still feel twinges but got good results sooooo.....Thanks ladies! Love the Peanuts dance! Leftfoot and Kiss, I hope whatever happens with a new/old Onc is a step forward for you both. That would feel very weird. EVen after 3 months for me I didn't want to get results from another guy on the phone..

• diana50
    diana50 Member Posts: 253
    edited November 2015

I'm actually staying on gemzar at a lower dose for one more cycle and see how I do. Declined chemo today because this chemo has caused fever, rash and drop in red cells. My body needs to recover.But since I had 400 points drop in TM decided to give gemzar another try at lower dose. If I continue to have horrible SE then will switch to Ibrance/femara.

Just wishing all drop in tumor burden , good scans and no SE's that aren't tolerable.

Diana

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015

Leftfoot ,

I am sorry your usual onc is no longer available , it is hard once you get used to someone, maybe you can consult with him via phone or mail on important matters. I hope you feel as comfortable with the new one.

I will also be away from the onc who and the hospital in which i have been treated since my first dx and i am very close to him. But i am going back to my country where i have already on onc there but i prefer the old one. So we decided i will contact him everytime i need him and i willbe sending him all my results. So i hope it works for all three of us, you, me and kiss.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015

Diana i am so sorry carbo/gemzar is doing its number on your blood it is really bothersome specially when your tms are dropping. But i had the same thing and i barely continued the tx till the end the last two where reduced doses and i skipped a couple of times due to low RBC and plateletsand had one blood transfusion.

I hope you are able to continue on Gemzar and get some benefits out of it.

• artistatheart
    edited November 2015

Diana, I hope the loser dose works so yo can stay on it for awhile. And I wish the same as you that everyone sees an improvement with little SE's. Woody, it must be a nice feeling to return to your country although leaving a good Onc is difficult. It's nice that you have a relationship that you can continue from a distance.

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015

Artist,

Thank you but i will be popping in every now and then to renew my residency since my husband is still working there , so i can actually see him and even have meds there if need be :)) this makes me very happy. If God forbids things change i will not do anything without consulting with him first. I hope you continue to do well :)).

• Isy
    Isy Member Posts: 87
    edited November 2015
    Hi everyone from a sunny down under. The Christmas lights go on in our town tonight but it's not quite the same when it's brilliant sunshine. They have to wait until 9pm to turn them on most of the kiddies should be in bed, lol!
    I'm doing well on gem/carbo so far. My onc has tweaked the dose as my WBC was slightly off and it's done the trick. I don't even feel like I'm having chemo, no side effects at all except the usual fatigue which isn't too bad at all. The main thing is I have a great appetite, would hate to go off my food. Having lots of twinges in liver area but it does feel lumpy as ever. I've lost weight (despite eating like a horse) and seem to be able to feel every lump and bump. Though don't really know what's 'normal'. Just hoping the twinges are death to tumours but will know what's happening after next scan in couple of weeks. All the best to everyone, xx
  • Woodylb
    edited November 2015

hello Isy,

I am glad you can continue on carbo /gemzar . The carbo makes you loose weight but not gemzar so maybe they are balacing each other. As long as you are able to eat and don't feel bloated or sick or constipated , it is a good sign. Do not worry about the lumps and bumps they maybe be tumors dying or anything else but not necessarely progression. So enjoy your xmas ligths in mid summer lolll and I hope the upcoming scan will put your mind at ease.

• Isy
    Isy Member Posts: 87
    edited November 2015

Thanks dear Woody.mforgot to mention also that liver enzymes down to 290 from 450 previously so allowing myself to feel a bit hopeful. Have a great weekend

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015

Wonderful news !! This is really a good sign , I hope everything keeps plummeting yayyy. You have a nice weekend too .

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited November 2015

Isy, I'm so glad your tx seems to be successful.

And Artist, I'm late saying this but - delighted with your results!

I'm cautiously hopeful about my new tx. Onc nurse told me my liver numbers are down. I'll tell you the truth, I haven't seen any of my bloodwork results for almost a month (my choice - didn't want to see) but I think when I go this week I'll ask for copies. I've been feeling a bit better and eatiing a little more so that's good too.

For all of us - we just keep on keepin' on.

Leah

• babs6287
    edited November 2015

Isy-sound like things are heading in the right direction-so happy for you!

Happy for you too Artist and for everyone else that gets good results

Babs

• Woodylb
    edited November 2015

good news Leah i hope you keep feeling better and that liver markers keep decreasing. I am happy for you .

• babs6287
    edited November 2015

Leah-great news!

Babs