Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

FEC-D regime

Options

Comments

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi Tessu,

Some of us have. I received it with ever round of FEC-D. Do you have any questions about it?

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited November 2015
    Options

I did, but managed to get in touch with my MO and got answers. Thank you :)

• bensmum
    bensmum Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    Options

hi everyone, i am still trying to work my way around this site. I am in day 15 of my first chemo treatment i am on fec d. I am from new zealand.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,048
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi Bensmum-

We want to welcome you to our community here at BCO. We hope your treatment is going well!

Check out our December 2015 Chemo thread, you'll be able to read posts from people who started around the same time you did, and connect with other members in the same boat.

Please let us know if we can be of any assistance!

The Mods

• LovesToFly
    LovesToFly Member Posts: 705
    edited January 2016
    Options

H all! Starting fec-d January 6. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

• Amazonwarrior
    Amazonwarrior Member Posts: 140
    edited February 2016
    Options

hi Lovestofly,

How's your treatment going so far?

Any issues? Or questions?

I hope that things go smoothly for you while doing Fec-d.

• LovesToFly
    edited March 2016
    Options

oops sorry, I just saw this. FEC was very good for me, after the first cycle I learned to take antinauseants at the first sign of queasiness, and besides that I was OK. I was able to work weeks two and three throughout.

I just had my first docetaxel on Tuesday, and it has kicked my butt. I felt great on Wednesday and then Thursday Friday and Saturday I felt progressively worse. Not only the bone pain but also horrible headaches, and exhausted probably from the steroid withdrawal.

• HolaSandy
    HolaSandy Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2016
    Options

hi all! Just adding myself to this group! I started my FEC on March 11th and so far haven't been feeling too bad. Day 3 was a foggy day for me but other than that, SEs have been well managed. I'll be doing 3 more rounds of FEC and then 4 of D. Then surgery and probably radiation. I was a little concerned in my March 2016 group that I was the only one doing FEC-D but it looks like it must be a Canadian thing. Finding this group was like finding a little gem! ;

• rv6gal
    rv6gal Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2016
    Options

I think FEC-D is more a Canadian even European regime. I was the only one in my group - January 2015 that had this combo as well. Personally, I found the FEC easy compared to the D. I actually did not take my last D treatment but feel it did its job. Wishing you well

• HolaSandy
    edited March 2016
    Options

hi Wendy, thanks for the info! That's what I was expecting, the docetaxel to be more harsh. I'm glad to get that confirmation so I am (slightly more) prepared. it's definitely nice to hear from people who have been through it before me!

• LovesToFly
    edited March 2016
    Options

FEC was good for me. As long as I took antinauseants at the first sign of queasy I felt pretty good. Day 4-5 I was very tired off the steroids.

I had my first D 12 days ago. There were some rough days but I'm okay.

• KarenInCanada
    KarenInCanada Member Posts: 194
    edited April 2016
    Options

Have completed my FEC and did not find it bad at all, much easier than expected. I took all my anti-nausea meds on time as perscribed. The Emend 3 day dose certainly makes a difference in getting through it without nausea.

Just had my first D with Hecepton today. Was a long process since it was the first of both medications. Was yappy from the large increase of steroids despite 4 hours sleep last night but once I got the Benedryl with the D, I was much more subdued. Had a nap when I got home in the afternoon and still feeling groggy and tired despite my dinner time steroids. Had so much I thought I would get done today with all the energy I thought I would have! Maybe tomorrow. Neulesta shot at 1 pm tomorrow.

2 more to go after this....I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel

• HolaSandy
    edited May 2016
    Options

I will be doing my first Docetaxel on Friday. Starting to get a little nervous! I didn't have a terrible time with the FEC and am hoping for the same with D. Did you ladies ice your nails at all during the infusions

• KarenInCanada
    edited May 2016
    Options

I was given ice for my hands and feet at the hospital and also chewed on ice. It is a little more difficult than the first regimen, I had no issues with the FEC at all really, easier than I thought.

I did get bone pain from the neulasta shot. Make sure yo take Clariton the night before your shot for 5 days and be on top of taking anything for pain before it gets too bad. I just had my last one 6 days ago and am so glad to be over this part. I seemed to get every side effect as listed and as soon as one would go away another side effect would come. Mostly I was really tired and found I would wake up confused and soaking wet, I assume from the steroids. Like FEC, it is doable but most find it a little more difficult from my experience. I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and keep on top of side effects right away.

Good luck, I am sure you will do fine. The fear of the unknown is the worst of it. Here they really upped the steroids for docetaxol compared to FEC so I think the crash made it worse too.

• LovesToFly
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Docetaxol: I felt great the first day of two, then exhausted and achy and confused for a few days. Much better by week 2, except for the taste issues. I iced my nails and wore dark polish throughout. No nail damage.
  • rv6gal
    edited May 2016
    Options

I didn't ice my nails but did use the dark nail polish as suggested. I did not have much issue with my hands but did suffer some damage to my feet and toenails. Not sure if icing would have helped but I would suggest avoiding hot water on your hands and feet during your the course of the docetaxel treatment. I think I hot bath I had to help me deal with bone pain led to the hand and foot syndrome issues with my feet. Good luck

• HolaSandy
    edited June 2016
    Options

thanks so much for the advice! The cancer Centre here doesn't do icing for fingers and toes as they said it just delays the nail changes anyway so why sit freezing your hands and feet? Oh well. They did tell me to avoid hot water especially on the feet though. I had the first D treatment on Friday and was sooo grouchy Saturday! My poor husband... So far the aches and pains kicked in today and are not unbearable. How long did everyone find that the mouth pain lasted? I rinse often and am hoping that keeps the worst of the mouth sores at bay. And the fatigue, I'm finding it much worse than with the FEC. Does that go away too

• rv6gal
    edited June 2016
    Options

My greatest aches and pains on D were about day 4 as well and they were pretty intense for me. I basically slept through day 4 to 6. So fatigue was way worse for me on D then Fec but another reason for that too was I had to take Tylenol 3 to help with the pain. Codeine makes me a bit nauseous so sleeping for me on those days was best anyway. It didn't last for the entire 3 weeks just a few days.. I don't recall any pain issues with my mouth either. It just felt weird and nothing was appetizing. My cancer centre didn't offer icing for D treatment just for your mouth on FEC also. Another significant side effect for me on D was water retention especially in my feet and legs. Not painful but I remember really hating that! I hope you don't encounter any issues with your nails but the thing that surprised me the most with my nails is that I didn't lose them until well after my treatment had ended. That was disappointing too!

HolaSandy, I wish you a speedy and easy time as you get this phase of treatment!

Wendy

• KarenInCanada
    edited June 2016
    Options

Sandy I had issues with the mouth sores every time. My last one wasn't as bad because I constantly rinsed with baking soda, salt and water. I kept it by my bed with a spit cup just to be able to,do it as much as possible. I still got one in my throat but that was it. I only used the magic mouthwash once on my last one.

The fatigue got me too. I slept and stayed in bed this past one from day 4-6. After that I slowly felt better. I'm moving on to rads now, just got my tattoos yesterday and start June 23. Nice they are giving me a bit of a break in between. My nails are still fine ...I keep them very short so there is no possible chance that they will catch on something since they are probably in a weaker state.

Hope you get through this one with little side effects!

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hearing problems from D-FEC?

BC chemo here is D-FEC (plus Herceptin for me). My last chemo dose was Dec 29, 2015, Herceptin will go through October, and I'm on an AI probably for life. I started having tinnitus in my left ear during the FEC part, and finally went to an ear doctor a few days ago when that ear started hurting. Diagnosed with significant hearing loss on that side, and mild loss on the right. The soc said he's seen lots of bc women with hearing loss and tinnitus, and thinks it's from the chemo. Anyone else here have hearing damage and tinnitus from chemo? Thanks :

• KarenInCanada
    edited June 2016
    Options

My ears feel constantly like I have a cold, like they are plugged. It started during chemo as well. My GP has looked in my ears and they are clear. It's always like I have a head cold. Running eyes, nose, cough and ears plugged. It would go away while on steroids and come back once they wore off. Once my rads are over I am going to deal with it if it is still going on. 3 more weeks to go after tomorrow.

• LovesToFly
    edited June 2016
    Options

My ears were stuffy after chemo for a while, and I also felt like I had a cold for quite some time. To be honest I can't remember exactly when it stopped, it just kind of gradually faded away. I finished chemo on April 19, and it was at least a month ago thatI stopped feeling like that!

• rv6gal
    edited June 2016
    Options

I have pain issues with my right side ear which I had attributed to radiation and frozen shoulder caused by radiation but maybe it was the chemo too. Hard to pinpoint the cause sometimes. Another small irritation is a runny nose . Not all the time but pretty frequently☹️

• HelenWNZ
    HelenWNZ Member Posts: 404
    edited July 2016
    Options

hi everyone I have just started on the chemo journey and will be doing D FEC as well. My first round of D was hard ended up in hospital for 5 days so really hoping round two is easier. I found the stomach cramping, diarrhoea, loss of taste and bone aches dreadful. Was pleased to hear that fec may be easier.

• rv6gal
    edited July 2016
    Options

Helen, I found the bone/nerve issues I encountered around day 4 or 5 after my infusion the hardest. Round 2 I took pain medicine and basically slept for 2 days. Luckily it was only 2 days but the whole time between infusions wasn't that bad overall. . It is interesting that you are starting with D. Wishing you an easier time with round 2.

• StayMom
    StayMom Member Posts: 57
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi all! I found this topic while researching FEC D as I am starting on Dec 14. Did not realize it was such a Canadian thing. Anyone starting or still on the treatment Feeling quite nervous after reading through some of the experiences.

• LovesToFly
    edited November 2016
    Options

staymom I finished in April, although it wasn't what I would call fun it wasn't horrible either, I actually worked two out of every three weeks. You'll get through this I promise!

• Leslie2016
    Leslie2016 Member Posts: 121
    edited January 2017
    Options

Had my first D last Wednesday. The bone pain floored me the past two days. I think I'm better today (day 6). So far anyway. Any hints on things I can drink/eat/shoot myself with so they aren't as bad next time? That wasn't fun.

• StayMom
    StayMom Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hey Leslie! We are on the same treatment regime although I am a few behind you. I have had 2 of the 3 FEC and will start my docetaxel mid Feb. Were you prescribed any pain meds for the pain

• Leslie2016
    Leslie2016 Member Posts: 121
    edited January 2017
    Options

Was given dexamethasone to take day before/of/after treatment. For the bone pain they told me to try to rotate tylenol and ibuprofen every 4 hours if that would handle it. They did give me a prescription for pain...but said only fill it if needed, if I take the pain med, I have to take another med with it for side effects, etc. So I haven't filled that one yet. If this was "normal" I will be filling it for next time. That was 2 1/2 days of no fun at all.