Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2014 Surgery Sisters

Options

Comments

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited January 2014
    Options

I had 2 nights.

• lighthouselady
    lighthouselady Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2014
    Options

girlstrong -  I was asked if I wanted to go home yesterday (1 night). Of course I wanted to,  but I didn't feel near ready.

• Dancermom1999
    Dancermom1999 Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hello Girlstrong...They told me I could go home in one night but I told them I needed one more night and I came home today...

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2014
    Options

surgery girls....thank you so much for your insight. I am so grateful to have your knowledge...,I know I'll have more questions so please be patient. Heal well. Hugs to you all Smile

• Beans9699
    Beans9699 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi I am going 1/13 for PBMX AND TE. I am here for anyone who needs to talk :) 

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi. I am scheduled to have my bilateral masectomy and immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders on jan 29. There has been a lot of helpful info posted in various threads to get information on the surgery, preparing for the surgery and what to expect after the surgery. Is there anything that any of the December/January surgery sisters would like to add? What helped you the most? What did you need to help with comfort, pain etc? 

I was diagnosed with DCIS and opted for the bilateral masectomy rather than an additional lumpectomy and radiation. I am hoping that there will not be any surprises in this final pathology report. I am so scared of there being invasive cancer. My breast surgeon and I agreed to check the sentinel node on the breast that tested positive for DCIS. I really need this for closure and peace of mind. That all the cancer was found and removed. Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts for my preparation for surgery is most appreciated! 

• Beans9699
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hello. I am having a PBMX but went through DCIS this with one of my aunts. I think it is wise to test the node for insurance. My aunt seemed to do very well following the surgery. Thank heavens it was caught now. 

I think she wished she had BMX as she is always worried about recurrance so I think you are wise to gO fOr it. She is well by the way and disease free 5 yrs out.

• Mommyathome
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks for the response beans9699. I need that assurance about the nodes being checked and choosing the bilateral masectomy was a difficult choice emotionally, but medically it was a no brainer for me. I would always be worried about reoccurrence etc. I just want to be able to live and not live in fear. 

• Beans9699
    edited January 2014
    Options

Mommyathome

Good for you! It is a tough but brave choice to have bmx. Its all about preserving our health for our kids. Am I on the right track with that statement?

Are you doing recon? I am having a PBMX AND RECON on 1/13. 

• Mommyathome
    edited January 2014
    Options

Yes! Good luck I wish I was going in sooner. The wait sucks!! 

• Dancermom1999
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hello Mommyathome and Beans9699....the waiting was the worst part.  I was so scared up until the day of surgery.  That day I became very calm knowing that finally this cancer was going to be out of me.  My surgery went well.  The pain can be very intense...take the PAIN MEDICATION.  It makes such a difference.  Let people take care of you - you will need to rest.  Other than that I am feeling pretty good and my surgery was Friday.  My final pathology will be back on Wed.  Hoping for no surprises.  The SNB came back fine but they dissect it further looking for no micromets.  Meet with my PS today.  I have the TE's in.

Hugs and love to you both....all will be fine...Kathy

• levassel
    levassel Member Posts: 254
    edited January 2014
    Options

yeah lighthouselady...WE DID IT!

Yep definitely sore!  And the T3s just don't seem to cut it.  I feel the same...I thought I'd be sad...but I wasn't at all when I saw my chest.  I have some lumps...mostly swelling right now...but I'll take what I can get...LOL.

My PS seems to think that some of the tissue is dying, but I go back tomorrow for a followup.  The home care nurse didn't seem to think it was a huge deal.  I'm not overly concerned they are perfect....just something to fill a sweater!  :)

The worst part was definitely the night before...I cried and cried....grieving I guess for what I was about to lose...but I'm fine now.

Can't wait to get these frigging drains taken out though.

I'm glad you are feeling OK.

Laurie

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

levassel - I had the grieving meltdown two night before surgery. Since then I've been fine. 

I definitely have some weird shapes going on... LOL lumpy and bumpy. Oh well. Hopefully as the TEs slowly get filled I will smooth out. 

Those of you who have TEs... do you know how much they filled?

I am so itchy!!!! It's not at the incision or drain sites... Just everywhere. I read that can be a side effect of narcotics pain meds. Hopefully that's all it is but it's driving me crazy!!!

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

mommyathome - As long as you stay on top of the pain meds you will be fine. And in the hospital they are very good about keeping you on schedule. Even now that I'm home I'm taking them every four hours around the clock and the pain doesnt ever seem too bad.  I use a lot of pillows... Behind my back, under my arms, etc. I also had a little soft pillow that I used in the car in between me and the seatbelt. That helped, too. 

The drains are a pain, but not horrible. I have two on each side but one is draining practically nothing so hopefully I can get it taken out soon. I have my follow up visits with BS and PS Thursday when I'll get the pathology from surgery. 

As much as I freaked out and worried about surgery, the reality wasn't as bad as I was expecting. You can do this ladies!!!

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hmmm...i'm not real itchy yet....something to look forward to I guess.  LOL

I'm having the nurse come today because I'm having a lot of pain in this one spot...hopefully not big deal.  I never had a fever.  They put me on anitbiotics right after surgery...preventative I guess.

I'm getting 350cc...thought it was my regular large B...but the nurse yesterday says that will likely put me at a big C....which is not exactly what I wanted.  I hope that they don't look ridiculous on me.

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

I agree.  The pain can get pretty bad...but keep with the meds.  The whole thing is not near as bad as the worry leading up to it.  I'm just so happy it's over.

My mom is here taking care of me....makes a huge difference.  My boyfriend lives with me...but mom's are the best.  She gave me a really relaxing foot massage last night and it made me feel so good.   :)

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

My mom is here too. Since I can't drive, she flew in for two weeks to help with me and help with the kids.

My PS only expanded me to 100 because they had to remove quite a bit of skin on the cancer side and there wasn't a lot of room to fill. It's nice to not be completely flat which is what I expected.

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

Im not sure how much she's put in so far...if she told me I don't remember.  But how much will you get total?

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

My chest feels really spongy....very weird

• Summerwheat
    Summerwheat Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi,

I am joining the club that nobody wants to join .... UMX with reconstruction (TE) on January 29. I think I have been a bit in denial, but typing it here makes it pretty real. I am scared and worried. I was diagnosed with DCIS 2.7 cm (high grade with necrosis) in my right breast and decided to go with a UMX, as a lumpectomy at my limited (A cup) breast size would require reconstruction anyway after the thing is removed with clear margins. I am afraid of the pain, but I had 2 C-sections with my kids, and people tell me it's not worse than that. I suggested an on-Q pump, but the PS thinks that won't be necessary as he gives a rib block that should keep the pain in control (he would be happy to put in an on-Q pump if I insisted though). I am confident that my doctors are very good at what they are doing, and I want to get this thing out of my body and move on with my life. The PS gave me a Vicodin prescription for use after surgery, as well as a prescription for antibiotics to keep any potential infection at bay. I think the days before, I will take 2 Ativan at night to sleep. During the day I am holding up pretty well, my demons come at night though, and I have not been sleeping well.

I have never been sick (except for the occasional cold), so this will be a new and not welcome experience.

Best of luck to the ladies with an earlier surgery day - may everything go well for you. And thank you for all the ladies who have gone the path before and left all the wonderful information on this site.

• aviva5675
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi Summerwheat. Ah summer, what a lovely thought. Anyway, you will do great! Get the pain prescription filled prior to surgery so you have it at home when you get out of hospital. Have someone with you if you can for the first few days, to help at night with pills, getting up, going to the bathroom, help with drains, etc...Doing one side only you will have use of your other arm Id think, so can do more than ladies who have bmx.  But lifting, stretching, opening things might be hard.

• Mommyathome
    edited January 2014
    Options

Aviva,

Did u go into masectomy w DCIS diagnosis and then they found invasive?

• Dancermom1999
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hello Surgery Sisters:

Pain is starting to go away... :)   Feeling real good today.  My PS put in 400 cc's...don't have any lumps..actually they look pretty good.  Just hoping the pathology comes back ok - then I can have the implants put in mid March.  Hope you all are doing good as well.  My dear friend is here helping me but I wish I was lucky enough to have my Mom still alive to take care of me.  There is no one like your mom to make everything better.  :)

• Beans9699
    edited January 2014
    Options

So glad you are feeling better!!!!!! Keep us updated! 

• Jackiegray
    Jackiegray Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2014
    Options

I hate the drains too. I would be so much more comfortable if they weren't in. My bra is squashing them into my skin. Boo! 

• Mommyathome
    edited January 2014
    Options

Dancermom, 

When was your surgery?

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

My pain is Ok, too. Still sore when I move certain ways or if I touch something I shouldn't... LOL

I'm having an issue with my drains. I have four, and one of them has a completely different color fluid than the rest. It's milky/pink rather than watery red. Called my surgeon and she said if there is no redness or swelling at the drain site, no fever or no blood in the fluid then it's probably Ok. It just scares me that there could be something wrong because both of my surgeons are three hours away.

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi everyone!

My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 13th and I can't wait. Yes, I'm nervous, but I"m SO looking forward to getting rid of this cancer. I was treated pe-operatively with hormonal therapy, had a lumpectomy and re-excision, both with close margins. I had micromets on one node. Only one node was taken during lumpectomy. I then opted for a BMX with reconstruction, if possible. I have been told by two surgeons that I need radiation, but we'll see...

Before the surgery they are also going to injection dye into my "good" breast to check to see if there is any nodal involvement, although nothing shows up on MRI. THAT more than anything scares me. I hear they insert 4 needles into your nipple and it really hurts :(

I'm really looking forward to being cancer-free and for no complications.

• Dancermom1999
    edited January 2014
    Options

Mommyathome:  My surgery was Friday Jan. 3rd.  Each day the pain gets better and it gets easier to move around.

BC101:The dye thru the nipple is not painful at all.  They will freeze the area first..don't worry :)

• aviva5675
    edited January 2014
    Options

Yes I was dx with dcis and went for lx, with a fix up/reduction/ oncoplasty on the non involved side at same time. He did an lx also on involved side to remove tissue that was benign from biopsy.  The path report showed that benign tissue as 2.2cm invasive combined ductal/lobular tumor. And in tissue removed from left side from reduction they found a small tubular tumor.  So from all that I went back 10 days later for the bmx. The invasive 2.2 was 'just missed' by the needle during the original biopsy.