Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2014 Surgery Sisters

Options

Comments

• levassel
    levassel Member Posts: 254
    edited January 2014
    Options

Lighthouse lady.  Yep does sound like we are all doing pretty good.

I agree that most of my pain is in that crease you talked about.  But my upper back is achy too.  AND under my new breasty things (LOL).  And I also have pockets of fluid...the homecare this is normal and my body will eventually absorb this.

I am really tight in my chest like you.  And what is there as far as boobs are as hard as rocks!  I think they are over swollen.  I have my next app on Tuesday with PS.  I can't think for a minute she will add and saline...they are already stretched to the limit.

• ClaireFraser
    ClaireFraser Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2014
    Options

I am having a UMX (SNB) and TE on January 28.  I was doing ok until I received the consent forms from my PS.  I understand they have to list everything that can go wrong, but geez, it was quite the eye opener!  I met with the PS's PA this morning (pre-op) and it went fine.  I feel a little better after talking to her, but am still a bit anxious.  The reality of it all is starting to set in, you know?  I had a lumpectomy on December 3 (margins not clean) and did fine, but a UMX is a big deal.

I pray all of your surgeries go well and those who've already had surgery, that you recover quickly.  God bless!

Claire Smile

• lighthouselady
    lighthouselady Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2014
    Options

Girlstrong - Laurie is correct. Everything they remove during surgery is sent for pathology. As for nodes on the good side... My surgeon offered the sentinel node biopsy on that side, and would have preferred to do it, but I declined. When they take all the breast tissue out, it's probably not easy to NOT get any lymph nodes, but they don't routinely plan to remove them unless you discuss it ahead of time.

As for me, one node showed up as abnormal on my MRI after I was diagnosed so they did a needle biopsy and it was positive. So I knew going in to chemo that I had lymph node involvement. That was one of the reasons my surgeon pushed for  neoadjuvant chemo. She wanted to start killing all those rogue cancer cells before they could spread any further.

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

Claire - It IS a big deal. I had the mother of all meltdowns two nights before surgery. We're talking about removing body parts.... Of course it will freak you out. {Hugs}. You will be fine, though. Soon this will be in your rearview mirror and you can work on getting strong again.

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi all....thanks so much for your speedy replies on pathology and lymph node stuff.  So appreciated.  Heal well my BC friends!!  Still awaiting my surgery date....

• Dancermom1999
    Dancermom1999 Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2014
    Options

Girlstrong..

I know they did the pathology on the non cancer breast but they did not take any lymph nodes.

• SouthernGirl1974
    SouthernGirl1974 Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2014
    Options

I had an ultrasound to check my nodes one looked suspicious so then they did a biopsy and determined the one node was cancer I also had a PET scan that also confirmed cancer in left breast and node under left arm

• Doughboy
    Doughboy Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hello everybody.  Sorry we have to meet like this.  This entire situation that we are all in just sucks!  However, I have gotten a lot of good advise and encouragement from what I have read on this site.  Thank you all for that.

I am having surgery on Monday the 13th.  Glad it's not Friday the 13th!!  I thought that I would be scared or upset etc., but I think I must still be in denial.  I have been pretty calm about it all and have been waiting for this since mid November.  I know that it is either going to hit me really hard Monday morning or when I am out of surgery and look down and it is gone.  I am having reconstruction at the same time.  I was hoping that I was going to get my port put in during surgery, but I guess they are waiting to see what the SLN tests come back as to whether I have chemo or not.  I was hoping that they would do the test of the other side, but they aren't.

Good luck to you all and you are all in my thoughts and prayers

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi ladies,

I was diagnosed with DCIS in December. I'm having a bilateral masectomy on January 29. My bs is going to check the sentinel node on the side with DCIS. I have a few questions for those that have already had surgery.... Who takes the drains out? Bs or ps? How often did the nurse come to the house to empty the drains? My bs said once a day. Is that enough?? How many cc's did u have put in during the "immediate reconstruction"? My bs thought 300... That seems like a lot. Ps said when all is said and done I'd probably get like 550.. What size cup is that? I'm a strong c or d cup now. My bs is opting to do a para cervical block. Have any of you had this for extra pain management?  Thanks for any responses you can offer!!! I'm a 41 year old mom of 4 kids ages 11,9,7,3. I'm nervous about getting the rest and time to recover after- any suggestions? Words of wisdom?

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

Mommyathome:
    Who takes the drains out? Bs or ps?  My plastic surgeon is "in charge" of the drains.  That's how they put it to me.  If I have any issues I call him, when they are ready to come out, he takes them out.

How often did the nurse come to the house to empty the drains? Really?  They do this?  The nurses emptied my drains in the hospital, but we've done it since I've been home.  My mom and my hubby have taken turns, and now that I'm down to two, I do them myself. 

How many cc's did u have put in during the "immediate reconstruction"? My bs thought 300... That seems like a lot. I had 100 put in.  I think PS would have wanted to do more, but my tumor was close to the surface so my BS had to remove a lot of skin on the cancer side.  I have a lot of swelling and lumps and bumps, so I can't really say, but I do think the 100 I got kept me from waking up completely flat.  I would say 550 would be around a C cup, depending on the person.

I didn't have a cervical block, so can't help you with that!

• Mommyathome
    edited January 2014
    Options

Ya the day after I get home from the hospital the nurse comes to the house on e a day I just have to set up what time and it'll be consistent until the drains are removed. 

My bs said I'd probably wake up with a small b cup... We will see....

• Dancermom1999
    edited January 2014
    Options

HI Mommyathome:

Yes, the PS is in charge of the wicked drains...

I had a nurse come one day and basically showed me what to do...my husband and I take care of emptying the drains...very easy to do.

My PS put in 430 cc's...I look huge for me and i know he is going to fill to over 500...the TE's are wide.  Each woman is individual so I am not sure how they determine how many cc's to fill initially...anyone know?

Never hard of the block you are referring to...

btw...your surgery date is my birthday so I know you will do just fine!!

((hugs)) Kathy

• Mommyathome
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks Kathy! And I know I won't be up to saying it on jan 29, so I'll say it now.... Happy birthday!!!:)

• graceb1
    graceb1 Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2014
    Options

At home after two days in the hospital for the SMX. Feeling pretty good considering everything. Was pretty nauseated the first day with dry heaves but got that settled down now. Hoping for a good path report on Tues. One drain is hardly putting anything out but the other is making up for it. Lots of appointments scheduled for rechecks and fills. I wish I could drive myself but will have to depend on family and friends for a month. Hope everyone else is doing OK.

• Dancermom1999
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thank you Mommyathome  :)

Welcome home GraceB1...hope you get wonderful news on Tuesday...

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

Welcome home Grace. Sorry about the nausea... dry heaves after a mastectomy does not sound fun!!

So I'm on day 8 after surgery and I'm hurting quite a bit today. I don't know if I've been overdoing it? I don't think I have but I've never had major surgery before so who knows. I also starting wearing a sports bra yesterday (PS orders) so maybe the compression is making things hurt? I was down to 1 or 2 pain pills every 24 hours but that's not going to cut it today. 

How is everyone else doing? Also, I can barely lift my left arm shoulder height... I know that's the side they removed nodes from but I have NO mobility at all. Ugh.

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

I'm day 9 and I tried to ease up yesterday and just use extra strength tylonol yesterday and it was not a good decision.  Lots of pain last night and this morning.  So stoned again onT3s today.  I had my last drain removed today.  I was super nervous...but it went very well.

Hope everyone has the best day they can today! 

Laurie

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

I'm chatting with another lady and she said to me today....just because you can doesn't mean you should.  SHE IS RIGHT....I felt good yesterday and overdid it.  We are recovering still....and our bodies need to be taken care of.

Laurie

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

Random stabbing pain anyone?  Like catch you mid-sentence...take your breath away pain.  Lasts only a few seconds...or a minute.

Laurie

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited January 2014
    Options

the stabbing pain, or zingers, are nerves that were damaged starting to heal. Its random and can be briefly painful, but its a good sign.

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

Zingers are happening here too. Yikes. 

And sneezing??? Ouch!  How is everyone's mobility? On the side they took nodes from I can hardly lift my arm high enough to wash under it. They gave me exercises to do but not until all drains are out. Everything is just so tight and sore. I've tried to keep my arm propped up on a pillow on the armrest just to stretch that area a little. And if I take a deep breath I feel like there's an iron band around me.

My drains are slowing down but I still have some fluid built up. The area below my left breast is puffy... And underneath both armpit areas. I'm so clueless as to what is normal.

• Dancermom1999
    edited January 2014
    Options

Yeppers, those zingers are a killer....Just when I thought it was getting better...fell pretty good during the day but nights still wake up in pain....

• myers421
    myers421 Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2014
    Options

Lighthouse, my bmx was in July and I was not able to move my node side until October I did not have physical therapy.  don't worry you are still fresh from surgery it will come around = )

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hey lighthouselady.  I know how you feel...NEVER sure what is normal.  Sounds like the stabbing zingers are normal...so I won't stress about them anymore.

I feel like I'm up and down like a yoyo.  One minute I feel great and the next horrible.

Laurie

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited January 2014
    Options

sounds like you are right on schedule. Keep arm/s supported all the time. I do even at night still, the puffiness sounds completely normal as well. I had one drain out at 4 days and the other out at 2 1/2 weeks. Couldnt shower till all were out.

• Dancermom1999
    edited January 2014
    Options

Absolutely stunning day in Fort Lauderdale.  My first adventure out of the house.  Had a lovely lunch at a restaurant on the water - I am so thankful for my doctors for getting this cancer out of me. 

• Doughboy
    Doughboy Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2014
    Options

Well, tomorrow is my big day.  Scared right now.  I am not worried about the surgery, I am just scared to find out about the lymph node involvement and how bad the scar is going to scare me when I see if for the first time.  I know that there are others on here that are also doing this tomorrow.  You are all in my thoughts and prayers and lets go get this stuff out of us!!!!!

• lighthouselady
    edited January 2014
    Options

Good luck tomorrow Doughboy.  I will say that seeing myself wasn't as traumatic as I expected.  I had looked at pictures of what a mastectomy scar and reconstructed breasts look like, so I kind of had an idea.  And there wasn't any real big "reveal" moment.  The nurse got me out of bed and sat me in a chair in front of the sink to sort of have a sponge bath, and there just happened to be a mirror over the sink.  I thought I would be self-conscious or emotional or whatever... but I was kind of detached and sort of felt like a science experiment with the drains and everything.  LOL   {{hugs}}  You'll do great! 

Warm thoughts, gentle hugs and prayers to everyone having surgery tomorrow!

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2014
    Options

Best to you tomorrow Doughboy, my surgery is Tuesday.  The nerves are understandable.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and all of us having upcoming surgeries!  Big hugssssss to all of you.  Keep us all posted.

• levassel
    edited January 2014
    Options

Up early as usual  :)

Doughboy must be in prep right about now...