Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors .... 10+ Years and Out

Options

Comments

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited December 2014
    Options

Merry Christmas Weesa and the rest of us Stage III girls!!! PS Congrats on the 20lbs Weesa! That's hard, I know. I did the same thing, only it's creeping back up on me. I worry about getting back on track after the holidays!

Loopy

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited December 2014
    Options

Weesa, I love your logic about why the margarita mix is healthy! Merry Christmas to everyone who posts in this thread and keeps hope alive for those of us earlier in the process.

• yellowfarmhouse
    yellowfarmhouse Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Options

I will also be a 10 year survivor Feb 2015.  My dx was IDC.  I had 2 lumps and 4/9 positive nodes.  ER 3+, PR 1+ and HER 2 3+. Had bilateral mastectomy, dose dense AC + T followed by a year of Herceptin and then vaccine clinical trial.  Recently dx with CHEK 2 genetic mutation. 

There is hope.....

Wendy

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited January 2015
    Options

Wendy, So great to see you and an HUGE Congrats on your upcoming mega milestone.

( I will be celebrating the same in May)

Wishing you and all my beloved stage III sisters a blessed 2015 and forever dances with NED!

• ann273
    ann273 Member Posts: 122
    edited January 2015
    Options

So very happy for you Wendy! Wish you many many years of health and thank you so much for giving us hope, it means the world :)

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited January 2015
    Options

As another Stage III Her2+ you give me hope! Thanks for stopping in!

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thanks for sharing, Wendy!

• diana50
    diana50 Member Posts: 253
    edited January 2015
    Options

I was diagnosed with stage 3 in 2002. Still considered stage 3 even though mets in 2012. That would be 10 and half years later for mets. Even with the Mets I am alive and doing good. My cAncer anniversary for 13 years is feb 26. That is a lot of years and a lot of life. I was 49 when initially diagnosed and now I am 62. Always keep the faith. And know there are breakthroughs with treatment options all the time. Your life is worthwhile. Fear is not. Keep on. Keeping on. Don't give up.

Hugs

Diana

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited January 2015
    Options

Wendy and Diana, we're so happy for you both on your upcoming 10 year and 13 year milestones in Feb.

Sharing this with others makes such a difference to those who are scared and need hope and positivity to get them through.

You ladies are awesome!

The mods

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2015
    Options

BUMP

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2015
    Options

Diana, I missed your post. Thanks for stopping by. When I first found BCO, your bicycle avatar was one of the first that I started recognizing. Your attitude and good advice helped me a lot with coming to terms with my new situation.

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2015
    Options

I bumped this forum because it was beginning to sink into the back pages. Thirteen-plus years for me, with an 8cm tumor and messy lymph nodes bursting open with cancer. Worst of all my Ki-67 was 70% and I could not tolerate AI's or tamoxifen. I am still kicking ass despite some life-long terrible habits.

You might well be lucky, too!  Love and peace to all who come here--weesa

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2015
    Options

Weesa what a huge heart you have!! Thirteen years out and you could have long forgotten us here a BCO! But, no here you are encouraging us...thank you! Personally your posts are a comfort and a hope for me...so keep living well and coming back to give us your hugs of encouragement...we all so need them!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    edited March 2015
    Options

This is a great thread! I had another node with a "spec" in it so they told me I am kinda sorta stage IIIa. I protest so I have not changed my dx here ;)

It's great to see such stories and I promise here and now to come back and post when I'm past the 10 year mark!!

• diana50
    diana50 Member Posts: 253
    edited April 2015
    Options

I just wanted to stop by. I am 13 years out from stage 3. Yes, I did end up with Mets August 2012 but you all need to know I amdoing well. I have a friend out 15 years stage 3. I was very active on stage 3 boards but have moved to mets. However. You all need to know that there is life after stage 3 and beyond. I am still alive and doing good. Don't get caught up in stats and numbers. Just live your life and keep onc appts. The fear is worse then the reality. Always keep your faith and keep on. Always

Diana

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited April 2015
    Options

Diane, thanks for posting. I think of you often, so it is always good to hear from you.

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited April 2015
    Options

Diana, thanks for posting and sharing your story. I am 1 year into this journey and love to read the stories of hope.

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2015
    Options

Diana, You are a very very special lady and I am so happy to hear you are going great!!
    Weesa , you and all your wonderful life long terrible habits ROCK! I am so with you .. kicking *ss!!

• taniae
    taniae Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Weesa and Diana thank you so much for coming back and sharing your stories. Ikc I see you are a long term survivor also. Bless you all.
  • sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited April 2015
    Options

Diana, thanks for your post and your story of hope.  Like Momine, I think of you often.  It's so good to know you're doing well.

• jsd44
    jsd44 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi, All! I just marked this topic to my favorites. I'm one year out from my diagnosis and now 3 months on Tamoxifen and a clinical trial of Affinitor. I don't know if the one year anniversary is provoking the fear, but that shadow seems to be dogging me these days. So, I'm heartened to hear of survivors with Stage III who are doing well beyond the 10-year mark.

• Sssonia
    Sssonia Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thank you ladies you are Survivors !!! It's great to hear all your stories really brings lots of hope. I am just starting but cant wait to post at my 10 year anniversary as well. God bless

• mmac
    mmac Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2015
    Options

Any Stage 3c/pr+\er\her2/&9

• macb04
    macb04 Member Posts: 756
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi, 2years and 10 months since they butchered me and the misery began. Still regret almost all of it. Am glad to see other women living well 10 years after a 3a or higher staging. Were any of you told you were cured? Or NED? Sometimes it feels like it was all for nothing because they never told me I was cured. I mean what was the point of all this terrible "treatment " if you aren't cured.Did they just delay bad events. Well my quality of life is often pretty bad. Have had 10 reconstruction surgeries, 2 more to go. Hate that I will be horribly scarred forever. Weird pains that worry me. Basically worry about something bc related every single day. Just can't be positive about this. Feel like a brutal crime happened to me and other victims of bc industry. I want justice, I know we will never get it.

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited May 2015
    Options

having a hard time today, crying on and off, and consulting the online magic 8 ball with poor results. Glad this thread is here...but so sad it's only four pages!

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2015
    Options

gatomal ..... there are many of us out here ... hang in .... remember Finding Nemo (keep on swimming, swimming, swimming)

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited May 2015
    Options

thank you jenni. Still not even out of active treatment, re excision to go, then rads, and supression and hopefully 10 years of AIs

• jsd44
    jsd44 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2015
    Options

Gatomal, it is hard. I go up and down a lot and I fear recurrence every day. My mantra when it gets bad: "I'm alive NOW. Life is good NOW." When I was at the very beginning of things, my friend who was 18 mos. out from her diagnosis said something that didn't make any sense to me then. She said that cancer brought some gifts. Gifts?! I thought then. But now I do understand. There is nearly constant fear for me, but also a heightened sense of life. I am so much more conscious of each moment than I was before, whether enjoyable or not. Every moment counts now.

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2015
    Options

gatomal - i check in with my onc next month ... been on AI for 10 years now ... very little side effects .... will be curious if when i go off them i notice any difference ... hugs and hang in there

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yay, Jenni!  Thanks for sharing!