Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors .... 10+ Years and Out

Options

Comments

• sugarplum
    sugarplum Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2015
    Options

Weesa, so happy to hear this wonderful news, written of course in your own inimitable style!

I'm coming to the end of my AI journey after 9 years due to bone density issues, but for now will just be switching trapezes (to Tamoxifen) next month. Not sure how that will sit with me - we'll see...

All the best to all who are here - Julie

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    edited November 2015
    Options

Is that why they check your bone density? I had one last year and I was in the gray area for osteoporosis in my spine. I've been on Fosomax all this time along with D3 and calcium. I just had the follow up scan late last week and see my doc on Dec 8th. My 80+ year old mom has great bones.... lol

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited November 2015
    Options

Congrats on 13 years Wessa!!! Always so thankful you're here with your encouragement and humor!!

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thankful for all the ladies coming back here to tell their success stories especially Weesa! Hit my 5 yr diagnosis date in June. Neo Adj chemo bumped my mastectomy to what I call my real anniversary date to this month. So officially 5 years! Hoping to come back here and post in another 5!

• jpsgirl96
    jpsgirl96 Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2015
    Options

I was waiting for my annual mammogram, happily back at BRRH and its women's institute, now in its luxurious new quarters. I realized - it's ten years ago almost exactly that I got my original diagnosis. All was well today - state of the art 3D images and all. Sending good thoughts to you all, wherever you are on your unwanted journey.

• ash123
    ash123 Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2015
    Options

Thank you so much jpsgirl96 for coming back and encouraging us. Love to read such success stories.

Ash

• Tessy
    Tessy Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2015
    Options

Weesa,

Glad to see you are doing so well! Congratulations on 13 years! I just had my appointment yesterday with the NP at my oncologist office. I am 3 years out from original diagnosis (Nov 21, 2012) I am taking Letrozole and started taking a half a tablet a day ( I was doing the every other day routine because the half life of the drug is 48 hours!) and I feel so much better! Anyway, the NP was not very happy with me for taking half a tablet, "we don't have conclusive studies in taking half of the recommended dose...etc" so I agreed to start taking the full dose again to see how it goes. I am trying to be compliant with my medication and have quality of life at the same time. I am thankful to still be here 3 yrs later because I honestly did not think I would be. But the joint pain was too much. I take turmeric, glucosamine, ASA, green tea extract, Vit D & E, CoQ10, magnesium, fish oil to counter act just one pill! They have helped! But I do agree with you, not everyone needs the same dose of the Letrozole. I read that anywhere from 0.5-2.5 mg was effective. I asked to have my estrogen levels checked again and they said it was not necessary since I am in menopause. What type of damage did you have to your knee? I have a torn meniscus and I am wondering if the Letrozole aggravated it? Thanks for posting your longevity!!!

• caaclark
    caaclark Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2016
    Options

10 years for me today!!!

• ash123
    ash123 Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2016
    Options

Congratulations caaclark. What a hopeful post. keep going.

• fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited January 2016
    Options

I really love these stories that offer so much HOPE. However, as I was scanning this thread I noticed most posters here are HER-. Any HER+ ladies here? I know so much progress has happened recently regarding treatment options, so maybe not enough time has passed?

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited January 2016
    Options

i just found this thread. Not sure why I missed it all this time but you dear ladies posts mean so much to me and I'm sure several others that you care enough to come back and post your success. There is so much negative around us and in our heads that it's like a breath of fresh air hearing from you. God bless each of you and all of us to kick this sh** to the curb. I too love red wine and the docs have me scared to death that it causes cancer especially hormone positive as they put it. It really seems to me they just still don't know much about this stuff. All of you are proof that we can kick it.

Thank you!!!!!!!

• cupcake7
    cupcake7 Member Posts: 321
    edited January 2016
    Options

do as you wish, but I'm still looking for direction to talk to someone who made it this far and what was out there still. I can't find any information of how bone cancer starts in the later years...I know enough to know you don't walk away from this scott free

• diana50
    diana50 Member Posts: 253
    edited February 2016
    Options

Just wanted to drop a note. I was 10.5 years out from stage 3 until 2012 when mets.

2016 and I'm stable and doing well. Hope faith and working at keeping my "good cells" strong has helped me.

Never give up.

Diana

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am a few days late posting, but I am now 12 years out 😁

• JustKeepSwimming44
    JustKeepSwimming44 Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2016
    Options

Congrats mpetago! Many thanks for the ray of hope.

• kar123
    edited February 2016
    Options

Awesome Mpetago!

• __asher__
    __asher__ Member Posts: 106
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks, Diana.

That's great, Mpetago

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited February 2016
    Options

mpetago, Congrats! So good to hear these reports of stage 3ers!

Diana thanks for the encouragement! Glad you are stable and doing well!

• raluca63
    raluca63 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hello ladies,

Om March 8th 2015 I celebrated my 10 year anniversary,yay !!!! I have never thought I would still be here 10 years after my ordeal. If I could beat the beast,anybody can do it !

Dx 3/8/2006, locally advanced IDC, 13 cm, Stage IIIC, 12+ nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+++, skin involvement,lympho-vascular invasion

Chemotherapy 4/6/2006 Adriamycin, Taxotere/Herceptin (1 year), Radiation Therapy 12/20/2006

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2016
    Options

hi raluca. Congratulations. I see we have the same staging, same amt , of nodes lymph & vas involvement & same tumor type and same tx.!

We are surely blessed ! I am so happy to see you here too

• fightergirl711
    edited March 2016
    Options

When I see HER2+ ladies announcing their 10-year anniversaries, it makes me very happy!

(Sent from the chemo chair, Taxol #10, Herceptin+Perjeta #3

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited March 2016
    Options

I love this thread!! Thank you stage 3 sisters!!

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited March 2016
    Options

Congrats Raluca! Love to hear the good news such an encouragement!

Thank you!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited March 2016
    Options

Fightergirl, my sister was diagnosed July 2012 with Stage III inflammatory BC, HER+. She just had DIEP reconstruction last fall--for her, this summer will be four years of doing absolutely great.

Now she's recovering from a bilateral knee replacement and can't wait to start exercising again!

• fightergirl711
    edited March 2016
    Options

sbelizabeth Thanks for sharing that! Feeling hopeful these days. Still in the throes of chemo, but feeling pretty good!

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited March 2016
    Options

raluca63. So happy for you. You bring us all so much hope. A BIG thank you for sharing.

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Everyone:

I have not been at this site for a while. But I am having my 12 years anniversary next week. 12 years NED!!

And I thought I was dead at the time.

There is hope.

• kar123
    edited March 2016
    Options

thank you for coming back and posting! It really means the world to us! Congrats!!!

• JustKeepSwimming44
    JustKeepSwimming44 Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2016
    Options

Congrats Wallan and thank you for sharing!

• fightergirl711
    edited March 2016
    Options

wallan Thank you thank you THANK YOU for posting! Did a 5k walk with my family yesterday, felt great, yet managed to nap for 2 hours in the afternoon, which still seems ot happen on Day 4. But the event was fantastic!