Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors .... 10+ Years and Out

Options

Comments

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited May 2015
    Options

thanks Jenni and jsd for your messages. They do help. Right now, I'm just focusing on getting through my next surgery on a week, then recovering again! Good to hear about the AIs, hope it's the same for me. Congratulations to you

• Annaanne
    Annaanne Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2015
    Options

I almost never check this site anymore, but realized that I am at the ten year mark! WAHOO!

I had stage 3A, her pos, hormone neg, with a huge tumor left after neo adjuvant chemo. No

recurrences, no problems at all. Wish you all the best.

• Tinkerbells
    Tinkerbells Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2015
    Options

anneanne, WOW!!! You made my year! Congrats

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2015
    Options

Congrats andThanks Annaanne for coming back to tell us. It is so important and great for us newbies to hear these success stories

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited May 2015
    Options

Thanks for coming back Annaanne!!! Congrats!!! You have no idea how important your post is to all of us!

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited May 2015
    Options

Annaanne so thankful you realized that you are at the 10 year mark and stopped to share this with us!!! Woo Hoo!! Alwayshope created this for our sisters like you to share and offer HOPE to sisters like us behind you!! Thank you!

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2015
    Options

It is now 10 years from my stage IIIC BC diagnosis. and all is well.

Grateful beyond words.

• Wanderer_11
    Wanderer_11 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2015
    Options

Congrats Heart I wish you many, many more

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2015
    Options

Linda, CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Ten years is quite a milestone.  Enjoy it and keep up what ever it is you are doing.

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2015
    Options

Love hearing from the Her2ers that are celebrating ten years! Thank you Dr. Slamon!

I always knew my paternal grandmother survived breast cancer but I just found out from my uncle the other day how bad it was. Aside from multiple positive nodes, her tumor was also stuck to her chest wall. In a strongly worded letter she wrote to the doctor who blew off her lump for two years, she described herself as "metastatic." I don't know if she used that word for dramatic effect or if she was indeed considered metastatic back in 1984. Nonetheless, when she died 15 years later, it was of Parkinson's and not of breast cancer.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    edited May 2015
    Options

Of you 10 year girls, what lifestyle changes have you made, if any? Are you slim (daily exercise) - no alcohol? Better diet?

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2015
    Options

HomeMom, I have done nothing different. I lived a fairly debauched lifestyle prior to diagnosis and continue to do so.  I slather on petroleum jelly in the cold winter months, drink like a fish, eat like horse, don't exercise, work at a very stressful job with irregular hours, sleep with the TV on, don't get regular check-ups, don't take any type of vitamin or snake oil. At first I read up on all the supplements and bizarre treatments and there were so many to choose from I finally said to myself "Well, screw this," and just went on as usual. My fruits and veggie servings are usually located in a Marguerita or a Bloody Mary.

But, I just enjoy the shit outta life, and perhaps that is my secret! Love to all, Weesa

• kar123
    kar123 Member Posts: 72
    edited May 2015
    Options

Weesa, I love you more and more with every post you make!!!

• Rachel1
    Rachel1 Member Posts: 80
    edited May 2015
    Options

Thanks, Weesa. As I sit here freakin out with tears streaming down my face, I needed to hear from you. xo Rachel

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2015
    Options

love you Weesa!!! Tired of all the people telling me that my carnivorous diet gave me cancer.

• taniae
    taniae Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2015
    Options

Thumbs up to you Weesa. One thing I couldn't give up after diagnosis was my weekend treat which is a few glasses of red wine. I think to myself after everything we've been through we should be able to enjoy a few things in life.

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2015
    Options

Oh--one more thing I did that is probably detrimental--I gave up on AI's early. Had bad side effects--joints ripping apart, many surgeries to put the back together again. Also, I took many 'vacations" from the AI's when I was taking them.

And Tania--red wine is very very good for you--remember that, red wine is not a guilty pleasure, it is an extreme health elixir, so enjoys your glasses of red wine and don't feel apologetic about them!

And Kar123--our diagnosis are similar as are our treatments, but you were luckier than I in the node department.

Also forgot to mention I did dose dense.

Love to all of you who are still struggling--I will continue checking in. It just takes a few seconds, and the strength it gives others always amazes me. Weesa

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited May 2015
    Options

Love your post Weesa!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2015
    Options

Weesa, good to "see" you as always. You touch on something I have been thinking about lately - being happy and busy. I got a new "job" last year. It is volunteer and was supposed to be a few weeks. It has been over a year. But it is FUN, and I have useful things to do every day, I work with lovely and smart people, get to train young interns etc. I don't know if this keeps cancer away, but it certainly keeps thoughts about cancer away.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2015
    Options

Classic Weesa post!  You are the reason I finally quit lurking and started posting.  I think I've told you that before.  Thanks for being here.

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2015
    Options

whoooohooooo today is 11 years !

• LucyL
    LucyL Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'm only four years out but I have two aunts who have both passed the 30-year mark. I'm hoping I'm like them! I was stage iiic.

I loved Weesa's comment! I too love my wine, I share a bottle with my husband friday and saturday ... if this ever comes back and gets me I would kick myself for it but I do enjoy it so. Only time will tell...

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited June 2015
    Options

congrats jenni! And lucyL! Thanks for posting.

• RebeccaA
    RebeccaA Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2015
    Options

I love your post and attitude!  

• gpgirl
    gpgirl Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thank you to all the 10 year survivors who have responded. I just finished my second AC chemo treatment and I love hearing success stories. I can't wait to let you all know it's been 10 years!

• Naomi
    Naomi Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hello everyone, May 16th was ten years for me. Sorry for the late post.... just get busy doing things.....vacations, weddings....you know.....just living! :) Wishing many many more years to all!!!!!

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited July 2015
    Options

Naomi...thank you for stopping by and sharing your 10 year anniversary with us! Congrats...a wonderful encouragment for us all!

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited July 2015
    Options

hi Naomi. so good to see you here! congrats from another 10 year Stage IIIc er!!

• TectonicShift
    TectonicShift Member Posts: 102
    edited July 2020
    Options

• lulu2533
    lulu2533 Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2015
    Options

Wow! When I was finally and correctly diagnosed as stage IIIc, I felt it was only a matter of time before it would metastisize to every part of my body and I would be dead in 6 weeks. I have learned so much from this site and to see so many other stage III'ers and also the many IIIc's pass this mark with no mets...it just means soooooo much to me and all the other newbies I'm sure.

All I can say is THANK YOU for taking the time and giving all of us hope, no matter what stage 3 you are. I can't wait until I can pay it forward at my ten year milestone.

Stay strong ladies.

Julie