Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Long term survivor examples.

Options

Comments

• BilateralBeauties
    BilateralBeauties Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2016
    Options

A friend of mine is celebrating 20 years this year. 27 at diagnosis. Three babies after. They threw the book at her at the time. Stage 1 at diagnosis.

• pas
    pas Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    Options

Just celebrated 11 years cancer free! All you TNBC girls currently battling, hang in there and treat yourself good! Rest when you want to, cry when you want to, do and act anyway YOU want! Only you know how you feel. I learned to tune out the advice coming from every direction and listen to the doctors I trusted and most of all, stopped trying to treat myself on the medical websites!

• kathseward
    kathseward Member Posts: 377
    edited July 2016
    Options

just been diagnosed with a 9mm triple neg. had a wide excision two weeks ago tumour margins good no lymph or auxilla involvement. Oncologist says a 90% chance of no recurrence but so very scared! I should be thanking God everyday that I found it now but I can't get around that fear! Chemo in two weeks and u amazing women have given me hope! I want to live my life to the fullest but the fear is paralysing me! How do I get around it

• kathseward
    edited July 2016
    Options

thank u! Just diagnosed with a stage 11 9 mm triple neg and sooooo scared! Margins all clear non palpable lump picked up on routine mam nothing in lymph or auxillaoperared on 2 weeks ago and not dealing well with it. Chemo starts next week but I need to change my frame of mind. So much negative info out there. And the fear is paralisin

• kathseward
    edited July 2016
    Options

you are amazing! Just newly diagnosed waiting on chemo and terrified. Need to focus on90% non recurrence rate but can't get round all of the negative stuff out there. So scare

• kathseward
    edited July 2016
    Options

thanks you give me hope

• kathseward
    edited July 2016
    Options

just diagnosed prognosis good but terrified! How do u get past that and live ur life! So sad and fririghened. Chemo in two week

• BanR
    BanR Member Posts: 238
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks Jojo..

Thanks for posting your story Kayrem!

I am targetting at least 20 years too!! :)

• rosselle
    rosselle Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2016
    Options

bumping 😊

• KSteve
    KSteve Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2016
    Options

As we approach labor day weekend, I will be celebrating 6 years since diagnosis. In some ways, it seems like it was a lifetime ago. While I do remember the fear that gripped me 6 years ago, I am pleased to say that I remain healthy (in fact healthier then I ever have been). We travel a lot, and I truly enjoy my life. My sister, DH, DD and I will be walking in the Avon39 breast cancer walk in one week in Santa Barbara, CA. I'm looking forward to celebrating my own health with my family, as well as raising money for those who don't have the support that I did, as well as to fund research. We need a cure!! To those who are currently fighting, or recently finished active treatments, life does get better again. It just takes time. Hugs to all!

Kathy

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    edited September 2016
    Options

It's so wonderful to read about those with TNBC who are doing well, especially those at five years and beyond! ThumbsUp

• Redporchlady
    Redporchlady Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thanks Kathy for posting! All of the wonderful women who post here helped me to get thru my treatments and this month is my 2 year mark. I try to live each day as my second chance.

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2016
    Options

Redporchlady...congratulations on reaching the two year mark. I hope I can post the same next year at this time. I hope you post again 10 years from now..,and then 20...

• Redporchlady
    Redporchlady Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thanks cathytoo and I look forward to your posts! Hugs and prayers to all.

• Gorilla12
    Gorilla12 Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2017
    Options

I am 12 years cancer free. Diagnosed 7/05, stage 1, no nodes. Chemo and radiation. Thriving not just surviving. My 27 year old beautiful daughter just got married. I am celebrating almost 7 years married to the love of my life. Son in Marines doing well. We just relocated and I have a new job. Enjoying the empty nest with my hubby. I hope this inspires or helps even one person!

• yellowdoglady
    yellowdoglady Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2017
    Options

Congrats, Gorilla! I'm 9 years out and doing fine myself. Diagnosed 11/08, Stage IIB, four malignant nodes. Lumpectomy, chemo, and radiation, and the beast was well and truly killed.

• Gamble
    Gamble Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Options

15 year Triple negative breast cancer survivor. was IDC stage 2B. modified radical mastectomy with 4 rounds of ACE chemo.  Now have new lump in opposite breast. had diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound yesterday nothing seen although radiologist could easily feel lump. seeing surgeon on Monday afternoon. My previous cancer was not seen on imaging either but figured with new technology I would have more info. Anyone else have this happen?

• Char105
    Char105 Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2018
    Options

I am so happy for this page. I have been so worried when I found out I was triple negative. Can't find anything online that is encouraging it seems. I'm going to talk to my MO this next fusion and ask about the BRCA testing.

Thanks again for starting this page. Nice to see positive for a change.

• Sharrose
    Sharrose Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018
    Options

I am so happy to know about these TNBC pathat have stayed cancer free for so long! I finish my last Radiation treatment on Monday the 19 day of February 2018. I will be counting the years down as I have counted down the months of treatment since my diagnoses June 9, 2017. Thank you for all the encouraging news!

• tibet1
    tibet1 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2018
    Options

hi Gamler, did they find sth , hope is all ok?

• simplelife4real
    simplelife4real Member Posts: 341
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi All,

I just passed the six-year mark after triple negative breast cancer stage 2B. I had cancer remaining in my lymph nodes after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Surgery and radiation seemed to do the trick. I have been in NED ever since. I just want to give hope to anyone else out there that is faced with a similar circumstance.Triple negative breast cancer is very scary, but it can be survived.

• kimm992
    kimm992 Member Posts: 28
    edited October 2019
    Options

A family friend who had triple negative BC just passed her 5 year cancer free date a couple of weeks ago! She's doing awesome!

• KSteve
    KSteve Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thought I'd chime in too! I am 9+ years out now and doing great. Life is so good. Looking forward to retirement in a little over 2 years at 57 years old. When I was diagnosed at 44, I honestly didn't know if I would live to see that. Now DH and I are making all kinds of fun plans for our post-working lives (don't worry, we're doing lots of traveling and fun things now as well, just looking forward to not worrying about if I have enough vacation days for everything :)

Best of luck and many virtual hugs to all of those in their fight now and to those who have put it in their rear view mirror, like me!

Kathy

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thank you ladies for the updates! Sometimes it is just what I need!

Love to read about success stories and great lives being lived. So happy for all of you.

• fiercer
    fiercer Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2019
    Options

I am beginning to believe I am past my ordeal with my TNBC. There is never a day I don't feel blessed.

• SJSmith52
    SJSmith52 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2019
    Options

I am not actually a LONG term survivor as I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in May 2017. I am 67 and had no family history of breast cancer. It had not spread to the lymph nodes so I had surgery for "tumor" removal and then just radiation. I did have to have a second surgery a week later bc my surgeon said the margins were not clear enough. The cancer was initially found on my mammogram. I could not feel any lump. I do not know of anyone who lives in this town who has the same experience as myself so it is awesome to see a post from someone who I can "talk" to. I don't think about it every day or anything but I do have a fear of recurrence bc the surgeon told me that TN was the least likely to occur, most difficult to treat and the most likely to recur . I see my oncologist every 6 months and I think I have a mammogram on both breasts once/year and that is all. My surgeon retired shortly after my surgery so I don't have him to ask questions. I am fearful that the cancer will show up in the other breast. I am not sure why he did not recommend chemo - although of course I am glad he didn't. Is there anything I should be doing besides keeping my oncology appts. and doing manual self exams?

I read in one post about the BRACA test and I do have dense breast but what is the determination for that test - I thought it was associated with genetic links? Thanks for any support you can offer. As I said above I do not know of any short OR long term survivors who have been diagnosed with the type cancer I had.

SSmith

• yellowdoglady
    yellowdoglady Member Posts: 52
    edited November 2019
    Options

I'm still fine, eleven years out. Keep going, all of you.

• vlh
    edited November 2019
    Options

SJSmith52, you might want to pose your questions on one of the other Triple Negative threads for more input, but, yes, the BRCA tests relate to genetics. Since your cancer was small, didn't invade the milk ducts (invasive ductal carcinoma / IDC), your nodes were negative, you are in your 60s and you have no family history of cancer, a BRCA test would not be routinely recommended. Similarly, your doctor considered the risks of chemo vs. the modest reduction in risk given your cancer characteristics. I have mammograms every six months, but had very aggressive triple negative IDC with a tumor over 2 centimeters in size. There typically isn't much done beyond mammograms and physical exams. (My oncologist also does blood tests.) I know this watchful waiting is difficult, but encourage you to share your concerns with your oncologist.

It's wonderful to see the long-term survivors checking in! At only 3 1/2 years since diagnosis, I don't consider myself long-term yet, but I am encouraged by reading everyone's notes.

Lyn.

• SJSmith52
    SJSmith52 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2019
    Options

VLH, thank you for taking the time to respond to my concerns. No two people are exactly alike in their diagnosis, treatment, location, etc. But I appreciate you responding and giving me encouragement for my specific case. I am very interested in continuing this website and will try to check it frequently. I think it is important for people at all stages of the TN walk. I sometimes still find it difficult to believe it happened to me. I do not dwell on it and live my life with joy. I do have one more question that I hope others will read. This may not have anything to do with the cancer treatment which was 2 1/2 years ago but since that time it seems like I CANNOT stay well. Nothing serious (life-threatening) but life style threatening. Upper respiratory infections, pneumonia twice, strep throat, viruses, etc. I have 4 grandchildren and have missed a baptism, birthdays, halloween b/c of being sick. I have always exercised and eaten right. None of that has changed. My blood work revealed nothing out of the ordinary. Has anyone else experienced this? It has changed my life more than cancer. I have missed so many things because of being sick. My PCP does not seem to think anything of it except that I am 2 years older. I have an appt. with a pulmonologist hoping for some answers. I would REALLY appreciate any help you could offer.

• vlh
    edited November 2019
    Options

I didn't notice a decline in immunity so no ideas on that, SJSmith52.