Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Long term survivor examples.

Options

Comments

• BanR
    BanR Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2015
    Options

thanks for the wonderful stories ladies.

it is just what we all need to feel happy, when we have a depressing day

congratulations....and wishing you all many many more healthy years ahead.

wish the same for each and everyone of us too!!!

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702
    edited April 2015
    Options

Michele, That seems to be a common thought at the beginning. I only had a preliminary staging before surgery and chemo. I elected not to have my nodes out, so I didn't get an accurate staging. I'm kind of glad I don't know. Just one less thing to worry about!!

• Sasha0124
    Sasha0124 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2015
    Options

All these survival stories are full of such wondeful promise & hope for those of us just starting this journey. My mom was just diagnosed with a Stage IV metastatic TNBC, lymph vascular invasion is present with a possible single bone met on her L4 pedicle. I saw a few amazing stories for Stage IV. Just wondering if there are any more out there?

Best & continued luck to all of you!

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837
    edited May 2015
    Options

Sasha,

I met a woman at chemo the other day who us one of the original Herceptin patients. She was diagnosed at stage IV about 10 yrs ago with Mets and she's doing great, working, etc. she told me when she was originally diagnosed she just wanted to see her kids who were 12 and 10 grow up, now they're in their 20s . She's a real pistol and I'm so glad I met he

• BanR
    edited May 2015
    Options

Living with Stage 4 for 10 years and still counting!! Thats amazing..was she a hormone negative patient too Suladog?

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837
    edited May 2015
    Options

Ban,

No, she's hormone positive as am I this time around. I never knew I could be triple negative one time then 25 years later HER2 and ER+. Weird. Anyway, she's on arimidex. We always sit together when we have our herceptin so I see her every three weeks.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited May 2015
    Options

Here's some more inspiring Stories from Member's with Metastatic Breast Cancer that we featured recently.

If you would like your story featured too please please let us know, we love to hear from you.

Heart

The mods

• Sasha0124
    Sasha0124 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi all! Suladog & BanR - thank you for sharing your success stories with me, it leaves me feeling more hopeful for my mom. We did get some good news today though. The 'bone met' on her L4 pedicle is actually NOT a bone met. It's a lesion that is a bone density something or other. Her lumbar spine is completely clear. I'm not sure if that changes her diagnosis/prognosis at all - from Stage IV to Stage 2, but it is great news nonetheless.

Please keep sharing your stories! It gives the creepers like me hope and faith in the future as I read these pages. I wish all of you many more years of health and success.

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited June 2015
    Options

I know I am late to this discussion but I wanted to share my experience. I was diagnosed with a triple negative stage 1 tumor in 1992 and went for 19 years without a recurrence. Then my mammogram picked up an even smaller lesion which turned out to be another triple negative tumor in the same breast. It's been three years since then. The first time around I had a lumpectomy, rads and chemo. Second time a BMX and chemo.

I'm just fine. I wonder if I had had a mx back in 1992 I would have avoided the second diagnosis. But I don't regret it. I was only 34 the first time around and got to keep my breast for 19 more years.

Back in 1992 they didn't even refer to it as triple negative. It has always been my understanding that the majority of women survive their triple negative cancers, even if it's at a slightly lower rate than women with ER/PR+ tumors. Hormonal treatments don't work against triple negatives, so if the tumor is larger than half a centimeter, it's usually off to chemo you go.

Joan

• SlowDeepBreaths
    edited June 2015
    Options

Joan, Wow....19 years is awesome. Who is to say whether it wouldn't have come back with a MX.

I've read of many women on these boards that still had it come back with a MX.

Personally, I think the whole darn thing is a crap shoot.

So good to hear you're doing well now!! It's encouraging.

• nkwoman
    nkwoman Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi. I'd like to add my survivor story.  I am BRCA 1 positive, was dx with stage 2A Triple negative breast cancer in 2007 at the age of 39.  Underwent bilateral mastectomy, oophorectomy, chemo and radiation.  Just passed my 8 year anniversary and doing well!  I wish I had found stories of hope back then.  Best of health to you all and stay positive+++

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited June 2015
    Options

NKwoman-

Thank you so much for sharing your story! We wish you continued health!

The Mods

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited June 2015
    Options

I am not TN, but when I was first diagnosed, my mom got me in touch with a former coworker who she remembered had BC in her 30s. Sure enough, this woman had TNBC with node involvement when she was in her early 30s back in 1992. More than 20 years later, she is doing great!

• SlowDeepBreaths
    edited June 2015
    Options

That's great nkwoman!! Thanks for stopping by and sharing, and welcome to BCO!!

Bad_at_usernames, WOW....20 years. How awesome....thank you for telling us.

When I was first diagnosed I was so terrified by TN. I know many are out living their lives, and don't post which is how it should be. But it sure is nice when people post here after all those years!!

• Tinkerbells
    Tinkerbells Member Posts: 53
    edited August 2015
    Options

bumping for a sister

• Iza
    Iza Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hello,

I just logged on here after years away, just because, and found this thread. I am a long-term triple negative survivor :-) I was diagnosed in early 2006 when I was 38, so I am 9 1/2 years out since the date of diagnosis. I underwent chemo (AC/T), surgery (lumpectomy), and radiation. I was followed more or less closely for 5 years, then they set me free. Now I have annual checkups with my OB/GYN. For me, cancer is a thing of the past, although I am well aware that this bliss can change any minute. But I am healthy, very active, and full of ideas and plans. I consider myself very lucky.

I hope my testimonial brings hope to those of you that are scared now. Best wishes to you all, lovely ladies.

Iza

• honeytagh
    honeytagh Member Posts: 447
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Iza

Thanks a lot for stopping by and posting. You gave me all the inspiration I needed today.

Wish you all the best

• placid44
    placid44 Member Posts: 179
    edited August 2015
    Options

That's great Iza, congrats. Did you find that you experienced further improvement AFTER three years? I am three years out, feeling better than a year ago, but still tire more easily/earlier in the daythan before ca, and I have some neuropathy. Just wondering whether improvement is in store. We had the same chemo.

• placid44
    edited August 2015
    Options

Just changed my settings so surgeries will show

• SlowDeepBreaths
    edited August 2015
    Options

lza, Thanks for taking the time to share!! Totally made my night!!

• sjreed489
    sjreed489 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    Options

Not sure if I'd be considered a "long term" survivor at this point; but I intend to be one for years to come! I was diagnosed Triple Negative IDC, stage 1 grade 3 on February 1, 2013. I am also BRCA 2 positive. I did 4 rounds of ACT and 4 rounds of Taxol starting February 28, 2013 and ending June 14, 2013. I had a double Mastectomy with reconstruction (tissue expanders and eventually implants) on July 26, 2013. I am living a perfectly normal life, there are actually days that I forget everything I went through that year! I know I am one of the lucky ones, I had no complications, and my treatments went according to plan. I follow up with my oncologist every 6 months and my plastic surgeon once a year. I am loving my life and enjoying every single second of it!!!!

• BanR
    edited September 2015
    Options

love reading all the messages here..

please keep the wonderful stories of survivorship coming in...

love and hugs...

• shorfi
    shorfi Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2015
    Options

Placid...I sat here at work this morning and read your entire blog. You are a wonderful woman and I appreciate how you poured out your feelings...pretty much how I felt about things when I was undergoing treatment. My husband, like yours, is my ROCK and he encouraged me as well as would be there for every appointment, surgeries, treatments, and took care of me when I had my bout of "digestive problems". Like you, I wish I could thank his mother for raising such a wonderful man, but I did have an opportunity to relay that fact to his father. Your support group sounds wonderful.

You inspire me!!! I don't come here often anymore since having my revision surgery about a month ago. I am so trying to move beyond breast cancer, but I still lurk once in a while. So glad I came on board today,

I wish you many, many years of good health and nothing but the best for you as well as your family.

• placid44
    edited September 2015
    Options

Shorhi. Thanks! Are you sure you read my blog and not someone else'? Your post here mentions things that are not on my blog.Just curious.

• char123
    char123 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hello All: I have had Breast Cancer twice, in 2001, I was Er/Pr + and then again in 2010, I was diagnosed with Triple negative, I had the chemo and radiation and here I am 5 years later doing rather well. I do not know if this is considered a long term survivor but I sure am happy about it...Its all how you look at things, If you change the way you look at things, things change. I think they have this triple negative thing under control....

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited September 2015
    Options

Great posts here!!

char123, - I was also ER+/PR+ in 2000, but trip neg in 2014. Hope I, too, can post about a 5 year mark!

Stay well and keep posting to all!

• shorfi
    shorfi Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2015
    Options

So sorry Placid. I thought I was reading your blog. I'm gonna blame it on chemo brain.

• placid44
    edited September 2015
    Options

No problem. My blog looks like a lot of others because I just use a basic Google template. Someday I will do a "real" one. The current one is intended to be more like an info portal than a diary of my experiences. It isn't done, but I haven't worked on it in a long time

• yellowdoglady
    yellowdoglady Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2015
    Options

Don't come here often anymore, but I'm coming up on seven years of freedom from TNBC. We all have to be vigilant, but so far, so good. Try to fit your lives back in when you can. Getting well takes a lot of time and effort, that is true. And when the fog clears and you can tap back into your own energy, Go For It! Live, my friends. As I've said before, love every sunrise and every sunset. Every birdsong. Every silly thing. Everything an old friend says that makes you laugh. Every hug. Every song you want to sing. All the things you thought to put off. Because so many of us just patiently wait our turn to have what we dream of. And in truth, we need to plan those things for ourselves. Much love to you all.

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited September 2015
    Options

yellowdog that is wonderful news. SmileCongratulations!!!! Thank you for the wise words. I wish you many many happy years of living life to its fullest!!!!

Many blessings

G