Warm & fuzzy owls, goats, kitties, dogs, birds ETC. PICS &LINKS

Comments

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited December 2014

Interesting question what would you do if you won the lottery. I would start a Waldorf village (called Camphill villages) for developmentally disabled folks to live in group homes, with work shops and gardens, greenhouses and such. I would attach a preschool and elementary school to it. They have these Camphill villages in Europe and back East but none here in Oregon. It's a wonderful life for those lucky enough to land there. I always wanted my daughter in one but gave up on it. Then I would set up a home for mentally ill in Florida. Arrange college funds for everyone in our family. Then happily set out giving it away- Teach Tolerance program at Southern Poverty Law, Fund for girls education in the 3rd world, SPCA, Camp Taloali for the Deaf (a special camp for deaf that takes kids all over the country run by the Lion Club), Set up a fund for helping folks pay for childhood transplants based on need (my kid will one day need a liver transplant). Set up a research fund for breast cancer. Set up a research fund for childhood mental illness.

Build an outdoor school for Oregon where the kids in public and private schools can come and learn about the wild wonders of nature and this beautiful state. It would have labs, nature walks, classrooms and be run by a trust, maybe in coordination with the State Parks service and State Colleges.You can not protect and cherish what you do not understand. If you live your life staring at cement and walls and never set foot in a forest, river or coast to experience its magic- how can you care? I would sow seed of caring. I wonder what an entire generation of seeds sown in love of nature would grow? Big grants to Smile Train, Lions blindness teams that travel the world restoring sight for free, Doctors Without Boarders! I would make all kinds of trusts to fund these organizations.

Then I would haul myself around and visit all the state parks! All my visits would be slow and unhurried. Walking meditation in the Pueblo Indian ruins at sunrise.. oh yah! Make my husband retire early- bet he'd be happy with that! Take my kids on a trip up the East Coast to visit all the historical sites about US history.. I love history. Just enjoy my family and critters.

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084
    edited December 2014

Thanks for sharing. Will work on my list.

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

Ouch!

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited December 2014

I wish I knew how to import a photo of a hawk, or any photos for that matter. Have to tell you a funny story. My kid works at Starbucks in a big city. Someone came in yelling there was the biggest owl ever on the side walk - stupid city people. My kid was on break went out in the pouring rain to see a huge hawk being teased by some school kids. She got the kids to leave it alone and she and a construction worker got the hawk into a box and the guy took it to an animal hospital. It was a very rainy windy day and they thought maybe the bird got slammed by the wind and injured itself. Well she found out what was wrong. The construction worker said the vet told him that the hawk swallowed a pigeon WHOLE and it hurt its throat and it was swollen. Ha ha.. the hawk was fine. Gives new meaning to

"Can't believe I ate the whole thing!"

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

Rose, that's a funny story! Poor hawk (and pigeon)

For you:

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• 2nd_time_around
    edited December 2014

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited December 2014

Rosevalley, wonderful story about the hawk (if not for the pigeon) your daughter showed kindness and compassion.

Some years ago my hubby and I were walking along a country road near a famous beauty spot called Avoca in Co Wicklow when lying on the road we found an badly injured peregrine falcon. Maybe it flew into wires. The best we could do for it was pick it up off the road and make it comfortable in a concealed spot where it might hopefully die gently rather than at the jaws of a predator or under the wheels of a car. It raised its head up and looked at me straight in the eyes while I was carrying it. When I put it down into the sort of nest we made for it it just closed its eyes again and kept them closed, but for those few minutes while I carried it I think it had some kind of hope. It was a sad and strange experience. I so am glad the outcome for your daughter's "owl" was happier.