Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Taxol and Herceptin only for stage 1 HER 2 positive?

Options

Comments

• granny72
    granny72 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2014
    Options

I love my port.   Aside from the fact I cannot sleep on my stomach, it does not bother me at all. My herceptin infusions are weekly and when I hear the nurses trying to access other people's  veins, I am so grateful for the port. I put emla on the port 1 hour before the infusion and I never feel the insertion or the removal. I have been doing this for 6 months.

• Nancy6540
    Nancy6540 Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2014
    Options

DaniellaD- consider the port. Just got home from my installation and I have to tell you it wasn't bad at all! I could feel the Dr tying the knots etc but I guess I had enough happy juice flowing that I didn't feel a thing. The Dr in Clifton (recommended by basking ridge) was very reassuring as I was freaking out before the procedure. Of course I can't tell how it's going to work yet as my first infusion is Monday. Will let you know how that goes. I got the EMLA cream all ready to go!

• PatinMN
    PatinMN Member Posts: 784
    edited September 2014
    Options

Nancy, I'm so glad to hear it went well for you!

• Nancy6540
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thanks  PatinMN, hope you're having a good day!  Last night was a challenge, the port areas hurt like Hell! Took a shoulder pain pill and stuffed an icebag on it and finally fell asleep. The Tylenol they give you are not adequate. Today very very sore but I guess it will be worth it if they don't have to knit on my arm anymore!

Hope everyone is doing well today!

Nancy

• MarieNJ
    MarieNJ Member Posts: 183
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I finished a week's worth of radiation - only 2 weeks and 1 day left to go.  So far the creams are working out for me - no soreness.  A little pink, but my breast was pink to start off with.   

Have a great weekend everyone!

Mary

• DaniellaD
    DaniellaD Member Posts: 228
    edited September 2014
    Options

Mary- the light at the end of the tunnel is peaking through for you! So happy you're tolerating rads well and it's passing quickly  

Round 4 SEs - bloody runny nose - not like the British "bloody" but actual bleeding and running. Sore throat, post nasal drip cough and more fatigue starting in the late afternoon.  Please dear lord,  let this be how it goes for the rest of my treatment! I have this baby and family to take care of. And please let my veins hold out  hoping I can use my left arm throughout the rest of my treatments since it seems to tolerate the iv best.  Nancy I did hear the doctor in Clifton is who MSK uses for ports in nj.  Hoping I won't need to go that route but glad it went well for you.

Wishing you all the best!

• SandyLovesLucy
    SandyLovesLucy Member Posts: 154
    edited September 2014
    Options

Mary, I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well during radiation! Hope it continues to go smoothly. What kind of creams did they recommend you use?

Nancy, I hope your shoulder and port are feeling better each day. I can sleep in pretty much any position and hardly feel the port anymore. 

Daniella, our SE's are similar. I've had some lovely bloody noses the last couple of days and the dripping is ongoing. I've been working more and the fatigue is getting more pronounced. I had a big nap when I got home from work today. I had chemo #7 of 12 this week and will be happy if these are the worst side effects. 

Have a happy weekend everyone. I'm sending hugs and good thoughts your way!

Sandy

• Tabbygirl521
    Tabbygirl521 Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2014
    Options

I put TH #7 (of 12) in the rear-view mirror today! My only noticeable SEs are somewhat less energy over time, my lovely 50% hair loss (I buzzed my hair to 1/2-inch and pretend to myself it's a style choice and that I still have my hair), and ... the intermittent bloody nose. 

Onc said that Herceptin causes the drips and Taxol dries out the lining. Voila - bloody nose. Recommended smearing Vaseline in the nostrils but for some reason I didn't want to use that. Instead I tried Ayr saline gel applied 3 times a day via Qtip and after a few days, there was a lot of improvement. As long as I keep up on the Ayr, I am pretty OK. 

I have been trying L-glutamine powder and B-6 and B-12 supplements to hopefully prevent neuropathy, and so far I have just the tiniest occasional tingle in fingers. No pain or loss of sensation. 

I went to a Look Good Feel Better class this week and enjoyed it very much. Free stuff! Got a good eyebrow pencil, which I fear I will need soon! I am starting to feel like a potato. 

We are doing this! I keep telling myself it is an interesting adventure... 

• Marineswife
    Marineswife Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi all,

Go, Mary, go! So happy to hear radiation is going all right. We all deserve to get into a smooth spot. Nancy, I hope you're feeling better!

I finished my 12th Taxol on Friday. I still can't believe it.  When I was first diagnosed in April, at age 39, I thought that I just cannot do this. I looked at the calendar of appointments and infusions and plans for TEs and foobs and said, more than once, "You have got to be f-ing KIDDING me right now" But with one day at a time, we get through it. I just sucked it up and accepted that it's the only way to the other side. And here we all are, moving along and moving forward, with ports, radiation treatments, bloody noses.... Thankful for all of you here on this forum.

Daniella, hang in there. For what it's worth, I did not get a port though my left arm looked pretty rough by the end. The nurse would put a heat pack on my arm before starting the IV and that helped them find veins a bit easier. I also made sure I was really, really hydrated the day before treatment. And even if you feel like you're wading through jell-o, try to exercise a little each day. I also took B6 and  iced my hands and feet during Taxol. I have no idea if it worked or not but I have no neuropathy and it was an inexpensive investment in cold packs at the drug store.  I did get anemic towards the end (#10-12) and that made me more tired, I think. So keep an eye on your counts. 

Hope you're all having a good start to the week!

• SandyLovesLucy
    edited September 2014
    Options

Tabby girl, it is good to hear from you.  The bloody nose SE has been driving me crazy this week. I've been using saline spray but am going to try the gel that you mentioned. 

Marineswife, congratulations on getting to #12! I had the same "I can't do this!" reaction but the weeks really do move along.  The reminder about exercise is a good one. I've been in a cycle of exhaustion/too tired to exercise = even more tired. I will walk today even if it feels like walking through Jello! 

Has anyone else had swollen feet and ankles? Yesterday my feet and ankles swelled up and were very sore.  I understand that it can be a less frequent side effect of Taxol. I'm cutting out salt to see if that helps and will call the doctor to see if there is anything else I should do.  I had plans to get a lot of things accomplished over the weekend but was so exhausted that not much got done. Sometimes it is hard to know when to push through and when to just rest. 

Heading in to #8 tomorrow and will be 3/4 of the way done! Yay!

Wishing you all a great day!

Sandy

• MarieNJ
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Someone asked what cream I was prescribed by the Dermatologist for radiation.  It is Mometasone Furoate Cream USP, 0.1%.  The RO nurse said to use it only at night and put it all over my breast and under my arm.  She said to use Eucrin when I get home after the treatment and nothing not even deodorant in the morning before treatment.  

I am happy to read everyone is gliding through with only a few bumps in the road.  We all get through this journey. 

Today is my neurologist appt - it's finally here!  Hopefully, he will shed some light on this numbness. 

Have a great day!

Mary

• SandyLovesLucy
    edited September 2014
    Options

Good luck today, Mary!  Thanks for the info on the cream. I'll ask my RO about it when the time comes. 

• DaniellaD
    edited September 2014
    Options

hi everyone! 

I drink my weight in ounces before chemo, the day of chemo and the day after.  I walk every morning.  I used to jog every morning but right after my first infusion, I felt like my heart was beating out of my chest when I ran.  So now I walk  and do some yoga. My nurse always uses the heating packs to warm up.  I think my right arm is just not a good option.  I did have my sentinel dissection from that arm so maybe I should lay off it anyway.  Marinewife thanks for letting me know you were able to do it all with one arm.  I'm 39 and if all goes well, I will finish chemo before my 40th! And if my cold caps work, I'll finish with my hair.  I just want to feel like me again.  

I take b6, L-glutamine, zinc, iron, magnesium, biotin, silica and d3 supplements.  When I'm really tired, I take Berocca tablets my cousins sent from Italy which is a nice b12 shot.  It has a lot of vitamin C, not too much but I was told not to take it the day before or two days after chemo.  It really helps.  

Doctor gave me Ativan but I only take it before chemo.  It really does nothing for me but take the edge off.   My primary gives me klonopin to sleep otherwise I would never sleep at all.  My onc is ok with it.

Making a big pot of kale and beans.  Had my nutribullet with spinach, pb, Greek yogurt, chia seeds and banana.  Getting ready for my fast starting tonight.  Hope everyone is feeling good today.

Yeah Mary!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,232
    edited September 2014
    Options

sandyloveslucy - your MO may be able to prescribe a mild diuretic to help with the swelling, mine did as I had a LOT of swelling from Taxotere, but be aware that it is also a symptom of CHF and could be related to Herceptin - so they might want to do a MUGA or echocardiogram to double check your ejection fraction first.

• SandyLovesLucy
    edited September 2014
    Options

SpecialK, thanks. I'll ask about a diuretic. I was thinking the same thing about the Herceptin. It is always in the back of my mind since there was a mild diastolic dysfunction on my initial tests. I'm due for an echo in a few weeks so we'll see if they want to move it up. I spoke with the triage nurse about cutting the salt.  Ankles are better today but tomorrow is chemo day so they'll check me then. 

• Lynndeidre
    Lynndeidre Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    Options

sandy~I want to echo what special k said  I just saw the NP before I started my first H only infusion today and we discussed SE of H.  Swelling feet is something that I'm supposed to report to them as it can be a sign of congestive heart failure.

Mary, good luck at the neurologist  hope it all goes well!  

Can't believe I'm onto my Herceptin only piece  soooo excited to only be sitting in the chair for a half hour :) AND I don't have to come back here for three weeks!!!!

• SandyLovesLucy
    edited September 2014
    Options

Lynnedeidre, thanks. Glad I called in to report it and glad that my appointment is tomorrow!  Congratulations on graduating to the every three week schedule!  We are really getting through this!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,232
    edited September 2014
    Options

lynndeidre - Just an FYI - I found that the 30 minute infusion was too fast for me - I never had bone/muscle pain from chemo, but my first 30 minute H only infusion left me unable to sleep for two days due to hip pain.  The next infusion I slowed it back down to 90 minutes - which is how it was during chemo - based on a recommendation I read on BCO, and it worked wonders.  There is also some school of thought that even though the 30 minute infusion is acceptable based on the dosing and administration instructions, it may be harder on the cardiac system.  I just wanted you to have that info.

• Lynndeidre
    edited September 2014
    Options

Special K thanks for the info--so interesting!  Hoping I don't have the same problem as you did.  I know that they gave me three times my normal dose of H today and it makes sense that they should do it slower.  My Herceptin was given over a 30 min period the whole time I did chemo  the taxol was first and took a lot longer maybe 1.5 hours and then 30 minutes for the H.  I will check Into that  thanks :)

Lynn 

• MarieNJ
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies -

Back from the neurologist.  The numbness is from .....yes, you guessed it........taxol!  He said "time" is on my side, but he did prescribe Lyrica (low dose) twice a day.  He said it may help.  He will see me in about 6 weeks to see if the numbness starts to let up.  He said taxol can over activate the nerves and the Lyrica may calm them down.  I hope it helps!  Otherwise, he said it should diminish in time.

Lynn - time flies.  I remember we started together and here you are - on Herceptin only! Yay!!  

Ladies, have a wonderful and side effect free week!

(((Hugs)))

Mary

• Nancy6540
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi Girls!

Had my first infusion yesterday. Had a horror the night before with the steroid pills but the infusion was fine. They made me wait a 1/2 hour because my blood pressure was sky high and my pulse 103, but after I calmed down the nurse very professionally accessed my port and I was on my way! The only s/e I had was the Benedryl gave me restless leg syndrome. I couldn't keep my legs still, like Michael Foxes arms! They said they would have to remove it and put something else in the next concoction.

I am soooooooo envious of you guys being so far down the process from me, but I am sooooooo thankful that you are telling me what to expect down the line! Today, I have diarrhea and my face and chest are bright red like a bad sunburn. Hope that's all for the first week!

I bought some of that Ary saline aloe gel for the dry nose, I think it will help with the nosebleed issue. Here's hoping anyway.

Watching all of you progress makes me believe I really can do this. Thank you!

• MarieNJ
    edited September 2014
    Options

Nancy - congratulations on your 1st infusion!  After about infusion 3, you can ask them if you can lower your bendryl a little.  I had told them it was making me too drowsy.  I went from 50 to 25 mgs which was much better for me.  As far as the steroid, after some treatments were under my belt, they were able to lower me from 10 to 8 mgs.  Good luck to you.  Time flies by very quickly.

Hugs

Mary

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,115
    edited October 2014
    Options

Perjeta Boosts Overall Survival in HER2-Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer  September 30, 2014

Final results from the CLEOPATRA study showed that women diagnosed with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer who got Perjeta, Herceptin, and Taxotere lived about 1.5 years longer than women who got only Herceptin and Taxotere. Read
    more...

The Mods

• DaniellaD
    edited October 2014
    Options

Week 5. Only 7 to go.  Almost at the halfway mark.  Hope everyone is well.  

• Lynndeidre
    edited October 2014
    Options

everyone on here is moving right along :)

Nancy, I had the same problem with the flushed face the day after chemo too  so annoying! 

I've been having the same bloody/runny nose as a couple of you have.  Going to have to look into that gel-thanks  

Lynn

• SandyLovesLucy
    edited October 2014
    Options

That's great Daniella!  The weeks are moving along. 

Lynndeidre, in addition to the saline spray, my MO advised using a little Aqaphor instead of Vaseline at the edge of the nostrils when my nose got sore from blowing it so much.

Nancy, you can and you WILL get through this!  I hope the next infusion goes smoothly. I had the big D in the beginning, too. I'm finally close to normal. Who knew I would ever get this excited about a normal BM? :)

I haven't had any more swelling of feet and ankles since the weekend so I'm hoping it won't become an ongoing problem.  I'm watching the salt, elevating my legs throughout the day, and will just keep an eye on things. Docs and nurses don't seem worried at this point. I feel like I'm adjusting my diet every week for one reason or another.  Happy to have gotten through #8 yesterday. My BF says I'm a social butterfly at the infusion suite. I have quite a few chemo buddies there!  I met a woman who only has two more Herceptin only sessions to complete her year.  We will all get there, too!

Hugs to all. Have a great week.

Sandy

• DaniellaD
    edited October 2014
    Options

I bought the ary(sp?) gel  it works great for lining nose.  Better than aquafor that I was putting on a q-tip up my nose. 

Round 5 done but it was tough.  The poked me so many times.  Found a vein on,y to later have to move it to the if vein In my left arm again.  So I'm scheduled to get a port on Tuesday.  Not happy but it's not going to get better.  

MSK has a new taxol protocol that they don't do any bloodwork except for the first time.  Then only the stick test which they only do if necessary - like if they think your counts may be low.  Maybe I misunderstood the nurse because that doesn't sem right.

• MarieNJ
    edited October 2014
    Options

Daniella - I go to MSK in NY and every week before I got TH, they pricked my finger and they had results almost immediately.  Now on H only, there is no need for pricking my finger for bloodwork.  They only do vitals and every 3 months an echo cardiogram.  I would double check with them.

Good luck with the port - It sounds like it is going to be a lot easier for you.

Hugs

Mary 

• Nancy6540
    edited October 2014
    Options

Daniella so sorry to hear about the port issue. I thought you were on the road without it! Well, the port will be magical after all your suffering. Make sure you have more than a Tylenol for the night after installation. It is sore as Helll and with your home responsibilities with the baby etc. you will need pain med. also, makeMSK give you a script for the EMLA cream. You put a blob on about an hour before infusion, cover with Saran Wrap, and by the time they inject the needle you won't feel a thing. Good luck and Hugs!

Nancy

• DaniellaD
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks ladies.

Nancy - I'm going to that dr in Clifton on Tuesday for the port and Wednesday is chemo.  I hope the dr inserting the port will give me the emla for treatment the next day.  Praying it's not as bad as I am imagining.  I'm very depressed about it.  I really didn't want to get one but my veins are too tiny to tolerate the chemo.  

After #5, feeling tired already.  I guess bc they lowered my steroids again that I'm not having that day of energy.  Hoping the rest of the SEs aren't too much worse, too.