Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

PET scan shows lit up chest lymph nodes after 4 years NED

Options

Comments

• Bren-2007
    Bren-2007 Member Posts: 842
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Barb .. just wanted to check in with you today.  I hope you're busy with work and keeping that anxiety in check.

big huge hugs,

Bren

• Bren-2007
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hey Barb .. just wanted to let you know I'm still waiting with you.  Hope you're able to enjoy the weekend and catch some more rays.  I'll be in San Diego in two weeks ... hopefully the sun will be shining, would love to spend a day at the beach.

love and hugs,

Bren

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited March 2014
    Options

Me too Barb.  

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    edited March 2014
    Options

BarbA,  Don't like the sound of all that, or the fact that you will be in suspense for eight weeks but, personally, I would rather wait it out then have that surgical biopsy.  It does not sound pleasant.  Yes, it will be a good idea to stay busy and try not to do too much advance worrying, if possible.  Will keep you in my thoughts and do hope this turns out to be something B9.

• encyclias
    encyclias Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2014
    Options

Barb, I didn't have a 'recurrence' of medastinal  nodes; I had them from my first diagnosis in Oct, '12.  Lit up like a Christmas tree on my PET scan back then.  But I was starting chemo within a week or two anyhow, so my MO let it go with just that for the time being.  Following a lumpectomy in April, I went on for rads in June.  Both my RO and my Internist (his wife is a BC survivor of many years) were quite worried about those nodes, so my RO put together a different type of rads for the sternum area concurrent with my regular whole-breast rads; just one extra zap per day for the 28 rads.  They made a lead alloy plate with a cut-out to match the pattern the nodes were in.   The rads had something to do with shallow beam electrons which could be calibrated to travel just a fraction of an inch below the sternum and not reach my heart, esophagus or lungs.

With that done, I waited almost three months and was sent in for a new PET scan last Oct -- which was now clear! 

Happy

In doing some research on these nodes, I read Many times that with a certain number of positive axillary nodes (can't remember the number), one very often has mediastinal nodes involved as well.  I hope everyone's doctors are checking for this.

Barb, sending hopes and warm wishes that your test will prove negative, and if not, that they will get on it quickly and kick these nodes to the curb.

Carol

• pip57
    edited March 2014
    Options

They zapped my mediastinal nodes too.  So don't lose hope no matter what happens.  

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited March 2014
    Options

Thanks all. I won't lose hope. They will figure something out. Happy

• Bren-2007
    edited March 2014
    Options

Wow Barb .. you were up really early this morning.  Hoping you have a really good Sunday.

hugs,

Bren

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Barb, Thinking of you my 2010 sister.  

• barbaraa
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Bren, yes, I was really tired and I went to bed at 6 so I got up early. Hi Omaz, long time! Thanks.

• Bren-2007
    edited March 2014
    Options

Morning Barb ... glad to see you.  Hope you are feeling more rested.

hugs,

Bren

• Bren-2007
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi Barb,

It's a lovely afternoon here ... the sun is shining and the temps are perfect.

Just wanted you to know I was thinking about you ... and waiting right along with you.

hugs,

Bren

• Bren-2007
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hey Barb,

Thinking about you this afternoon.  I hope you had a nice weekend and could get out in the sun.  It's raining here today and the temps are dropping again.  Winter has lasted incredibly long this year.

I think two weeks have already gone by ... we're getting closer to the time for the procedure. 

love and hugs,

Bren

• barbaraa
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi Bren! I have been trying to keep busy. Went to a great plant sale on Saturday and bought several orchids for 5.00!

On the other front, 35 days and counting.

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582
    edited April 2014
    Options

Counting with you Barb!  Ah orchids, I used to have a lovely collection of them but couldn't bring them back to Canada with me - sigh!

• Bren-2007
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi Barb,

The orchids sound lovely.  You live in a great area for them to thrive.  I had some in San Diego and they did well there too.  That's the one thing about living in Virginia that's hard on me ... I don't get to garden year-round like I did on the west coast.

Okay .. so we have days that we are counting down.  Today is 34 and counting!

hugs,

Bren

• Bren-2007
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hey Barb!

I hope I'm counting right .. today should be day 32 ... Yay!  We're getting closer.  I confess, I am anxious about all this waiting.  I want to know what's going on with you NOW.

hugs,

Bren

• Bexter3
    Bexter3 Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2014
    Options

hi Barb... Been reading your posts. I am so sorry you are going through this! I have seen hundreds of posts, documents, etc., and it seems like most folks with a second or recurring cancer kick butt! You will! And I will. At 4 1/2 years, markers going up, massive swellings on non cancer side, had bmx. As I pray for so many of us, I will make a point to pray for you! If life hands you lemons, pick 'em up and throw them back! 

• barbaraa
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thank Gettinpastthis. And thanks Bren. Not that I am counting or anything but it is 22 days now.

• Bren-2007
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hey Barb,

Glad you posted the days remaining!  I was in San Diego all last week and lost count.  22 days to go is doable.  We'll keep on waiting together.  Had a great time visiting my grandsons, and of course my son and DIL.  Didn't make it to the beach though ... we were runnin' and gunnin' the whole time!  Two boys ages 10 and 6 keep you on your toes!

love and hugs,

Bren

• pip57
    edited April 2014
    Options

Yes...22 days is doable.  Hang in there.  And eat some dark chocolate Easter eggs!

• Bren-2007
    edited April 2014
    Options

Pip .. chocolate sounds wonderful.  Unfortunately, I ate a ton of it this morning for breakfast!  Thank goodness I polished it all off so I can get back on my weight loss plan tomorrow.  I'm 6 pounds over my target and I feel everyone of them!

You and Barb ... on the other hand ... are very petite and don't have to think about weight loss.

love and hugs,

Bren

• pip57
    edited April 2014
    Options

I'm waiting until Tuesday to go back to my stricter diet.   I still have some chocolate left. Loopy

• Bexter3
    Bexter3 Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2014
    Options

I was just reading these posts again, while every remaining lymph node from my sternum up is huge and painful. My neck & face almost seem deformed. And then I thought, it is so incredibly sad that we live in this world, when the average Jane Doe probably wouldn't even know what a supraclavicluar lymph node was, let alone be fearful if they are swollen. Every now and the it hits me, oh crap, I had stage IIIC breast cancer and all of these other women speak this different language. Oh well, just rambling. I pray for a cure for every one of us...

• barbaraa
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hey Pip chocolate sounds good. Bren so glad you had fun in CA. Bexter you are so right. Well it is 21 days now, getting closer.

• pip57
    edited April 2014
    Options

Good to 'see' you Barb. Nerdy

• Bren-2007
    edited April 2014
    Options

Barb ... glad to see you checking in with us.  21 days to go!

Bexter ... it's amazing how our lives are forever changed when we're diagnosed. We can never go back to being the same as we were before.

hugs,

Bren

• Bren-2007
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hey Barb, 

If I've done the math right, I believe we have 17 days to go.  Is your biopsy scheduled?

Been thinking about you and hope you're doing okay.

hugs and love,

Bren

• Bren-2007
    edited April 2014
    Options

Barb .. I think we're down to the two week mark.  Hope you're holding up okay.

love and hugs,

Bren

• barbaraa
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks Bren! And the great news is I screwed up. The date is really the 7th. & more days!