Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2-Year Her2+ Cancer-free Roll Call

Options

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited November 2014
    Options

Congratulations lkc! what a wonderful story. So glad you came back to share. See you in 9 more years.

• sandiesau
    sandiesau Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi everyone  I just had my 2 year mammogram done and am anxiously awaiting my result . I'll fill you in when I hear anything.  Sandi 

• Alicethecat
    Alicethecat Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hello IKC

Thank you so much for posting and reposting!

So happy for you - and for your research work. It gives us hope.

So pleased it has turned out so well for you.

Alice

• sduch1
    sduch1 Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2014
    Options

I am wondering 2 years from what? I refer to the BCIRG study quite often to try and keep my anxiety at bay but I get confused when they say 1, 2, 3 years etc if it is from diagnosis or end of treatment. I am 3 years out from diagnosis, 2 years out from ACTH, but only 1 1/2 years out from finishing my Herceptin. I am in a weird place right now where it feels long enough ago that I can forget that it happened or don't think about it every day but then will have sudden anxiety attacks and become consumed again at the thought of recurrance....mostly because I feel like I am still in that critical window and can't get through it fast enough! I also get confused why the 10 year recurrance rate in some of the online predictors is higher than the 5 year rate when the highest rate of recurrance for ER-PR-HER2+ is supposedly in the first 2-3 years?? And the BCIRG results seem to support this. I would love any insight.... I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season! I have a 3 1/2 and 5 year old and it's been a lot of fun this year, mostly because I feel good..my daughter was 6 months old when I was diagnosed and it's amazing to see the little girl she has become. In some ways it truly feels like the BC thing was a lifetime ago.

• lago
    edited December 2014
    Options

sduch the first 2-3 years is the highest for recurrence for everyone but it appears the more aggressive (like triple negative and HER2+/hormone negative) tend to recur even more often in the time period. But at the same time if you are hormone negative and you have passed the first 3 years your chances of recurrence goes way down and you are almost considered cured! I count the 2 years from NED date but it's best to as your MO that question. My 1st treatment was surgery so that made me NED. For those who had chemo first and surgery last it might be from the the last surgery.

Here are my famous speeches I post for those who worry about recurrence:

seat belt speech:

You don't assume you will get into a car accident every time you get in your car. You do put on your seat belt and drive carefully. Same with breast cancer. Eat right, maintain a healthy weight, exercise, and take your hormone therapy (if prescribed). No reason to think you are going to get mets until you actually have a symptom.

shit happens speech:

Some people win the lottery and become millionaires too but do you really think that's going to happen to you? Shit happens. Sometimes good shit, sometimes bad shit, but most of the time shit doesn't happen. Don't assume shit is going to happen to you.

Remember the word "if" is in the middle of the word "life" for a reason. As long as you have life you will always have "what ifs". It's your MO's job to worry about those cancer "What Ifs"

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited December 2014
    Options

lago...I've been on this board since diagnosis and have read your speech on more than one occasion. I'm smiling right now and saying "thank you" because what you say is sooo true. As for the debate on "how to calculate how far out you are"..I talked to my MO about this. She uses the date of diagnosis. She admitted that some docs use the surgery date but in her words"it's just semantics" because most of the time initial diagnosis and surgery date areonly separated by a matter of months. Based on that, I am celebrating 17 months !!!!!!! Looking forward to this summer when I can ring the bell for my 2 year anniversary:) in the meantime I'll just keep thanking God.

• lago
    edited December 2014
    Options

Happy You'll be ringing that bell before you know it.

• sduch1
    sduch1 Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2014
    Options

Thank you for your responses, and for your speeches Lago! Using my date of diagnosis, I feel like I've come a long way. It will be 3 years in February. It's when I count from my last Herceptin that I feel like I am not that far out. I guess I am 2 1/2 years out from surgery...a lot of milestones to keep track of. I had TH first, then surgery, then AC, then radiation and H. Wishing everyone continued health and happiness in the new year!

• LizA17
    LizA17 Member Posts: 102
    edited December 2014
    Options

I had my 2 yr cancerversary on Dec. 7th! Looking forward to a long life.

• lago
    edited December 2014
    Options

Awesome LizA!

• jfrone
    jfrone Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hello there! I remember when I was first diagnosed, I was desperate to hear success/survival stories from other women who were HER2+. I wanted to share that this coming May 2015 will mark my 9 year anniversary of being cancer free (I was diagnosed at the age of 32)! I had a 3cm lump in my right breast with 1Lymp Node infected. After a mastectomy, chemo and herceptin, I have had a clean bill of heath.

Please know that there is a light at this end of this tunnel! In a few years you will be sharing your story of many years cancer-free as well.

Peace and Health to All!

• Vicki2012
    Vicki2012 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am new to this site (ILC/Her2+/Stage 1/Grade 2) and in August of this year will be 3 years clean!! I had a lumpectomy, chemo (6 rounds), radiation (7 weeks), Herceptin for 1 year. Arimidex since April 2013. Zometa infusions for 1 1/2 years (every 6 months). Even though being Her2+ was what made chemo a must for me, I have been told by my surgeon, onocologist, nurses, etc., that it is a GOOD thing to have because they know how to treat it and stop it! If it wasn't for the heart issues that Herceptin can cause, I'd prefer to stay on it forever!ha

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Vicki2012, We just want to chime in and say welcome to BCO and so glad you have found us, and are sharing your experience. So glad the Herceptin is doing its job well for you!!!

• lago
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Vicki. Congratulations on 3 years NED (No evidence of disease)

• debbieb
    debbieb Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options

Congratulations on reaching the 2 year milestone.  It is a big one.  I am coming up on my 14 year milestone.  When I was 6 years out I did find out I had heart damage from the chemo.  Other than that I am doing great!  

• lago
    edited March 2015
    Options

Congratulations Debbie! 14 years. Did you do a trial for Herceptin?

• janincanada
    janincanada Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options

Will be seven years April 4th since my surgery. All is good with the exception of some gifts from chemo such as neuropathy and osteoporosis. Exercising and generally enjoying life. Have a unrelated (I think) medical problem now but I am still NED.

• Sassa
    Sassa Member Posts: 98
    edited March 2015
    Options

I just returned from my eight year annual check up (my oncologist measures the time from the end of my 4 AC).

I am fine and feel great.

• Poconos3
    Poconos3 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you and YAY to all of us!!! XOXO

On Arimidex now; it's kicking my butt:/ Terrible side effects; hope they lessen.

• giglgrl
    giglgrl Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2015
    Options

Diagnosed Feb 09, last Herceptin treatment Aug 11. So almost 5 years free for me!

• fightinhrd123
    fightinhrd123 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2015
    Options

I can never remember which threads like this ive posted on already, and dont here much anymore, but i will be 7 years out in may :)

• lago
    edited April 2015
    Options

Congratulations Fightinhard!

• emily_the_cat
    emily_the_cat Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2015
    Options

I saw someone else asked this, but I didn't see an answer - what event are we counting from? Dx, surgery, or end of treatment? It seems like a lot of people are counting from Dx, but to me counting from surgery makes more sense, as that is the first day I was cancer-free. Thoughts

• Tinkerbells
    Tinkerbells Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2015
    Options

Emily - depends, but it seems many count from time of diagnosis. I had surgery first, so I am counting from there. It's a 2 week difference, anyway!

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188
    edited April 2015
    Options

I just passed 3 years and still going. SO HAPPY about it despite the beast of a road it has been.

• lesliecusana
    lesliecusana Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2015
    Options

Anyone here have a mamo with area of concern to watch turn out to be benign? I am 1& 1\2 years out and have reconstruction next week! Really want to make 2yr mark!

• momwriter
    momwriter Member Posts: 276
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi,

The two times I've had mammos since dx I got callbacks both times. Then they did Ultrasound. This last time in November they then did a core needle biopsy (stress much?!). And in the end, after all that stress, it was benign. Hoping yours is as well!

I'm at 2.5 years.

• lesliecusana
    lesliecusana Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thanks momwriter! Very encouraging! Congrats on 2&1\2 years!

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188
    edited April 2015
    Options

These milestones are just incredible and encouraging! I had revision surgery as well as VLNT surgery a few weeks ago. I didn't expect to still be going through all this stuff for 3 years but in those years I have also done tons of wonderful living. Acceptance is a powerful thing. I have low WBC right now - which scares me. But, as with my other scares I will keep marching ahead. Sad to hear of heart damage 6 years later. I pray you continue to feel well and live to be very old.

• nikol4yourthought
    nikol4yourthought Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options

10 years and counting.  Stage III Her2Neu positive with lymph node positive.  Stay strong, take care of your body.  Eat well, exercise and sleep!