Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo July 2014

Options

Comments

• RainDew
    RainDew Member Posts: 228
    Options

hi ladies,

Somehow this thread got lost off my 'follow' list...I had been wondering why everyone was so quiet!! (And worried it was because everyone was super sick!)

Mags - ugh. That's no fun at all. Really hope it passes soon! 

Rambling Rose and Gilmour - welcome and sorry you have to be here

Scared - I am capping too :-) think I have seen you on the capping thread? Good luck!!

Mumford - delighted to hear the TC hasn't been too rough on you

Keep it coming!! My support to you all.

Rain

• CoyoteNV
    CoyoteNV Member Posts: 286
    Options

It's interesting how far spread we are across the country.  Welcome RamblingRose from New England.

Mumford, Yes, I did have a nosebleed issue when I had chemo in 2012.  It was right after my 5th infusion and my blood was not clotting well. I'd blow my nose was clogged up and I would blow it...and it would start flowing. Use all the standard nose bleed techniques and let the MO know if you can't get it under control.  I started keeping the membranes moisturized with chapstick on a q-tip and it eventually stopped happening.

Hmmm. We partied tonight because my birthday was today.   My chemo date is the day after tomorrow. Two years + a couple days from when I discovered the original lump.  So the birthday connection is here too.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Happy birthday coyote, and sending best wishes to you during your chemo. 

The Mods

• ChaosRains
    ChaosRains Member Posts: 90
    Options

i found my lump a few weeks before my birthday but put off going to the doctor until after my birthday... birthday connection here too...

Round one: ChaosRainz vs the RedDevil begins this morning

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    Options

ChaosRains-Good Luck and an easy time in the gold lounger today!!!!  Keep breathing....... You can do this!!!!!

• ChaosRains
    Options

Thanks Melrose, not as nervous as i thought id be... more like ready to get started and get it over with!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day, beautiful blue sky sunny day here.  :)

• RainDew
    RainDew Member Posts: 228
    Options

good luck ChaosRains. Kick its butt!

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    Options

All the best today chaosrains. We'll be "in your pocket". Hemmie, are you still on for today?

Gut seems to have settled down. Whew.

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 407
    Options

Good luck ChaosRains.  I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Nancy

• magdalene51
    Options

How are you others who started doing? Too young momof2, Blownaway, Mumford, Ladytdf? What's hitting you?

• CoyoteNV
    Options

Hope the day goes well ChaosRains.  I'll be right behind you.  Took the first pre-chemo pill this morning.  Love the dandelion sign. It is now on my fridge.

And...TY to Mods. 

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662
    Options

Coyote-What is a pre chemo pill? It amazes me that so many people are getting things that I haven't heard of.

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662
    Options

Mags- I am at work with shooting or stabbing pains here and there that come and go. Also some pretty bad heartburn and constipation BUT NO NAUSEA!!!!! Does anyone have an irritated throat? I noticed that  for several days prior to the heartburn coming on. I am fotunate that work is not very busy this week. Had a heck of a time with reconciling the bank statements! It might have to wait a few days! 

God bless all the ladies doing their first infusion. 

• ladytdf
    ladytdf Member Posts: 7
    Options

Blownaway I take zofran and promethazine. I take them around the clock. Zofran every 8hrs and I take it. Promethazine is every 6hrs but it puts me to sleep so I take that one at bedtime. Today I am really fatigue. I am just resting. I wish the best for 

• magdalene51
    Options

My pre- and post- chemo pills are steroids, dexamethasone. I take two twice a day the day before and the day after. 

Blownaway, so glad you have an easy work week, take care and get some rest. You too, Ladytdf.

• ChaosRains
    Options

Well made it back from first round of AC... feel slightly nauseous and kind of spacey but so far so good! 

Coyote good luck tomorrow- you can do this!

Blownaway where are you getting your treatments? I go to Methodist Houston... I hope you are feeling better soon!

Hope everyone is doing well! 

• Mumford
    Mumford Member Posts: 88
    Options

magdelene51, I'm doing way better than I expected to be. My mouth is a little sore and my scalp is starting to itch. Constipation now resolved (I think that was from the dex). One nosebleed. I really have little to complain about...

Thank you for asking...

• CoyoteNV
    Options

Blownaway; The dex tablets.  2 the day before and 2 the day after.  Well,I had my first side-effect today.  I'm diabetic and my blood glucose shot to 605!  I've never seen that before.  I called the clinic kind of embarrassed by not asking "what if" earlier,  and the Dr. called me back immediately.  She said to take my night dose of metformin and if it kept climbing go to the emergency room.  Thank heavens, it dropped to under 200.

• CoyoteNV
    Options

Thank you for your kind words of support and encouragement.  I feel like we are the Multi-Musketeers!  "One for All and All for One"  I realize what I missed by not interacting with my fellow BC mates the last time I went through this.  Actually, you all mean a lot to me already.  We will get it done!  If experience counts for anything...when I get my head out of the bucket, I'll be there for you.

• CoyoteNV
    Options

Okay, since we are all friends, I added a photo so you will know who I am.  The photo was take 6 months after my last chemo on the last go around.  My hair came in curly (now straight but super short) and very white. 

• magdalene51
    Options

Oh I hope my hair looks that great next spring!

Finally took Imodium and gut has settled down; took a shower and wrapped a bandana around my hair. Decided that since it's going away anyway i'm not going to bother with it and DH is fine with that.

Steady as she goes, girls.

• ChaosRains
    Options

I've been collecting these and figured I'd share them with y'all too... sorry if the language offends anyone i will remove it, as that is not my intent at all so just let me know...

• magdalene51
    Options

I like it. I like the spirit.

• MomtoIrishQuads
    MomtoIrishQuads Member Posts: 61
    Options

Hello July chemo sisters!

I just started today (July 9) with TC chemo.  So far, I have a massive headache, metallic taste in my mouth and I'm a bit wired but tired at the same time (maybe steroids?).  

My oncologist here in SC wouldn't give me an opinion on whether or not to do chemo, but my CA oncologist said absolutely YES - so here I am.  

I'm going to try to set up acupuncture, restorative yoga and do the things in Dr. Block's "Life Over Cancer" (melatonin, etc. etc.)  My friend who just finished chemo for Stage 3 ovarian highly recommends it. 

So happy to share this ride with others.  I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node 6 weeks ago since it was Stage 1 - and had a partial mastectomy and radiation 3 years ago for Stage 0 DCIS.  Estrogen is obviously not my friend.

Deb  

• magdalene51
    Options

Hi MomtoIrishQuads and welcome to the club no one wants to join. We're not really glad you're here. Seriously, we are already a pretty tight knit group, but there's always room for one more on this bus. Check in often and share your experiences with the side effects etc.

I'm off to bed.

• too_young_momof2
    too_young_momof2 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Sorry it has been a few days..... I need advice.... after my allergic reaction to Docetaxol.. I felt decent the next day...slowly started to teeter with energy, on Sunday began to feel pressure behind neck pressure in face.... sore mouth swollen tounge holiday heart burn.. all some what normal side effects. On Monday I called cancer center as I woke up with a painful pimple like rash in ears and in face.... they told me to keep sores clean rinse mouth with baking soda.... I felt kinda stupid calling. A friend / fellow survivor brought me over a bunch of wigs...as we were talking my face neck swell and have hundreds of painful pimple like water blisters all over skull, face, in nose in ears over chest...skin so sire it almost crawls... I go to ER scared I am having delayed reaction they give me benadryl send me home..... today cannot leave bathroom stomach cramping in pain as soon as I out something in my mouth I have to run to bathroom with intestinal cramping and diarrhea.... now all of a sudden my injection site has stared to swell turn red and go numb....a week later is this normal...? 

I don't want to be the girl who runs to Dr every little thing but.... I have done this before and nothing seems normal to me.... am I crazy or should I call cancer center again and make them see me???? very worried.

Soo sorry for the rant, trying to type fast before I run back to bathroom....as long as I sit still don't move I feal nirmal....

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934
    Options

Hi Ladies :)

Just wanted to say hello and offer some support, my last chemo was 6/17. These forums are so wonderful for support thru this chemo crap! Hang on tight sisters, this too shall pass. ((hugs))

• CoyoteNV
    Options

Too Young...Call the doctor asap. Call as often as you need/want to. These are extreme side effects - not an "every little thing". Most oncology centers have 24 hour staff standing by for just such issues. Tell them you want to see the doctor.  Your doctor will want to know and provide a remedy. They really don't want you to suffer!  A good mouth wash: water, salt, baking soda, xylitol (a sweetener used in Europe in children's gum to help prevent tooth decay that can be purchased at most health food stores or online)

I'm afraid the stomach cramping/diarrhea  is probably somewhat normal.  Did your doctor give you a list of meds to have on hand for this?  I will be taking Pepcid in the am and pm - symptom or not.  I will also use Imodium at the first sign of cramping / diarrhea.  When you call your doctor about the other matter, check to see if he/she agrees with my doctor.

So sorry things are so very miserable.

• kitkatmo
    kitkatmo Member Posts: 15
    Options

Rambling Rose, 

I really was planning to continue working as long as I felt well enough. Today I saw my primary who advises taking STD. I work in a hospital and she's concerned about what kind of 'bugs' I might come into contact with. She's starting me on a large weekly dose of vitamin D and something for sleep. Port will be laced on Wed next week, then my first treatment on Thur. I'll be glad to get it behind me so I can stop freaking out about it. This week I'll try to get some much needed rest and try to keep my stress level down. She also suggests either acupuncture or therapeutic massage, has anyone had experience with either of these?

• Cinchacha
    Cinchacha Member Posts: 3
    Options

So thankful for this forum and everyone's willingness to share their experience, strength, and hope. 

Had my arm port installed yesterday (beam me up, Scottie!) and going for the heart scan (MUGA?) this afternoon. Rough night of pain with the port--I don't see many people getting the arm port. I hope the pain and tenderness is a lot better by Tuesday, July 15, when I get the Doxyrubicin aka Killer Koolaid. The Hem/Onc team told me to be prepared for a six-hour visit on the first day of chemo. Yikes! It makes me wish I was one of those people who fall asleep on flights. 

Greatest fear: nausea and vomiting. Having spent the better part of family vacations in the backseat of the car with my head poised over a brown paper grocery bag, I'm not eager to repeat that history. I will definitely take the advice of those who advocate staying ahead of the nausea.